PDA

View Full Version : The hair loss begins

Lonna
July 30th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Dear Hubby has his first intense chemo on July 9th has just began to feel human again the past day or so. This evening he comes into my sewing room and says well it has started. I asked him what and he say the hair loss. Now I am use to him shaving his hair off ever so often. But the 22 years we have been married I have only seen him clean shaven once. He has such a baby face with out his facial hair. I am going to miss it so.

Blondie
July 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Aw, Lonna; I am still keeping him in my thoughts and prayers along with you. He is a lucky guy to have you. When my mom lost her hair, it came back more and thicker than previously.

K. McEuen
July 30th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Bless his heart. At least he doesn't have to worry about shaving when he feels crappy now. Hopefully he can regain some strength before his next treatment.

Bdmtmd
July 30th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Hi lonna I was looking through the forum and came across your post. Sorry to hear about the hard time your husband is having. I know it's hard sometimes to have faith and stay positive but maybe this will give you some encouragement...my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given a poor prognosis of 6 weeks to six months to live but she surprised everyone with her spunky spirit and lived for another six YEARS. It wasn't always easy but she said the key to it was faith in god, lots of laughter, a positive attitude and good doctors. I hope you and your husband continue to enjoy every minute of your time together.

auntiemern
July 31st, 2012, 12:48 AM
Awe Lonna. I feel so bad for you and DH. I too, have never seen my DH without facial hair. But as Blondie said, it may come back in thicker and darker.

SuzyQue
July 31st, 2012, 12:52 AM
This must be sad and difficult....but hopefully, just a temporary situation. Chin up and hang in there. Prayers said.

BellasQuilts
July 31st, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hi Lonna, sorry to hear about your DH. I have learned from my mom who has had cancer, to always see the bright side. When she lost her hair she went to a photo shoot for a book about women with cancer, called Turning Heads. They were all bald in the photos. She had a flapper dress on with the head piece. She looked stunning! While she only got a mention, she had the photo framed. I've never seen her look more beautiful. So, like K said, now with no facial hair, there is no shaving to worry about! Sending you both a big hug.

phoots
July 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Prayers for you and hubby!!

Pam in Vegas

janluna
July 31st, 2012, 01:22 AM
Prayers for you both, Lonna. My DH also has facial hair. I love his beard. He has mutton chops. lol It covers his baby face too. He felt that no one took him seriously in his job, so he grew a beard. Son of a gun if he wasn't right. {:->
It will grow back and it will be beautiful. Tell him to hang in there. Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Genny
July 31st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Dear Hubby has his first intense chemo on July 9th has just began to feel human again the past day or so. This evening he comes into my sewing room and says well it has started. I asked him what and he say the hair loss. Now I am use to him shaving his hair off ever so often. But the 22 years we have been married I have only seen him clean shaven once. He has such a baby face with out his facial hair. I am going to miss it so.

After chemo my sister lost all her hair too, it was gray and straight as could be. When it came back in it was brown and curly. His will grow back, but it may be a different color.

HandsOffItsMine
July 31st, 2012, 01:46 AM
Just think, he might look like a young Tom Sellick when his hair grows back. :) Know that you're both in our prayers. Mom was diagnosed at Stage 4 Uteran with less than 6 month after her surgery by City of Hope. With experimental/aggressive treatments, she was with us for nine years. So hang in there, daily prayers are being said all over the world for you.

Huggers, Ruby

tortugaquilter
July 31st, 2012, 02:08 AM
Having been there, I can tell you to keep your humor and laugh often. Our first clue my DH was losing his hair from chemo was when we were having breakfast and he leaned over and a large chunk of hair landed in his eggs. After laughing, and then fixing him a new breakfast, we headed into the barber at the hospital and they shaved and polished his head. I had never seen him without his thick curly hair. He was still very handsome.

You both will be in my prayers.

Cheryl

Madeforyouinma11
July 31st, 2012, 02:26 AM
Good thoughts, prayers and lots of hugs! Stay strong and be positive...

Sewbee
July 31st, 2012, 02:53 AM
Being bald can have its advantages. My morning routine went so much faster using a quick swipe with the washcloth on my head instead of a full shampoo! Plus no more shaving legs! I sorta hated to see that part come back!

Lonna, I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers to you and your husband. I know this is a very difficult time for both of you, full of constant ups and downs and worries. I pray your husband quickly regains his strength and well-being between each treatment, and that the chemo is totally effective at shrinking his tumors. May each day you share together be full of sweet memories of the past, the sweet joy of today and the hope for sweet memories yet to come. God bless...

Bubby
July 31st, 2012, 06:02 AM
When my husband had chemo/radiation he lost the hair on his head, but didn't lose his facial hair. Also, when his hair grew back in it was a different color...this happened twice! I'm praying for you and your Hubby. Barb

rebeccas-sewing
July 31st, 2012, 07:36 AM
Didn't you know bald is the new sexy? LOL My daughter's boyfiend said, "I don't know what happening. I'm only 28! I'm going bald and turning gray." My daughter is now shaving his head. She finds him hard to resist! Hahaha!

quilter.martha
July 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
My DH always says: "God made a few perfect heads. The rest he put hair on." Perhaps your Wayne (my DH is also a Wayne!) has one of those perfect heads.

You and your DH are in my prayers for complete healing. Hang in there and know that you both are loved and thought of here on the forum.

Sandy Navas
July 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM
Keeping you and Wayne in my prayers. As my husband used to tell everyone when he started losing his hair - some men prefer spending all their hormones growing hair and others find much better uses for their testosterone . . .

Klasien
July 31st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Oh I feel for you!
But like the rest said, when it comes back most people have more hair and a different color.
My brother lost his hair a couple of weeks ago, he is wearing a cap sometimes, but he was used to it very fast.

I'm a hairdresser and I've seen it very often, it will come back, don't worry about it, focus on getting well!!!!
I will be sending prayers and good thoughts your way!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackiejs
July 31st, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking of you. I lost mine nine years ago, it came back a beautiful Silver. Not Gray!! I love it and it's curly too.
Prayers are coming your way.!!!

Lonna
July 31st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the support. The hair loss on his head does not bother him as much as the loss of his beard and mustache. At least once a month he would always shave all the hair off his head. But I think what was so upsetting to him was the fact that it was coming out and he had no control over it. I think in away we are all in a little bit of denial and not wanting to believe that he has cancer and this was letting us know that yes he is sick. To look at him you would never know that he as ill as he is. He is a strong man so we are having a hard time seeing him as weak. Thank you all for your prayers and support.

K. McEuen
July 31st, 2012, 02:33 PM
I have a friend that had breast cancer about 5 years ago. Her hair was thick, and partway down her back. The day before her first chemo treatment she went and had her head shaved and sent her hair to Locks of Love. last year she dyed her hair pink for breast cancer week. She thought it was a temporary die. It wasn't. Took a while for that to grow out.

middlesis1966
July 31st, 2012, 03:32 PM
I know that when my hair started falling out, I did get somewhat bummed. I thinks its because it made what chemo was doing to me more real at that time. I was just starting to get used to my new body and then the hair started coming out every where. I knew then that there was nothing I could do to stop it. Hang in there and know that this to shall pass. Still praying that the chemo does what its suppose to do!

CrazyMtnLady
August 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Lonna, you two are in my prayers everyday.

Just remember: :DBALD IS BEAUTIFUL

AlohaSandy
August 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM
I am so so to hear you are going thru this. My husband of 33 year went thru the sam thing it is so hard to see him go thru all this pain someone you love and is so close to your heart. Please be strong and know prayers are being sent to you to be strong. My husband was luck for one thing he was almost bald lol and all the chemo did for him was make his hair completely white he didn't loose any but it did make him sick. God Bless

Jean Sewing Machine
August 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM
I'm saying many prayers for your husband. My husband had brain cancer, and the radiation caused his hair to do wierd things. Of course, he had his head shaved before surgery, so we just kept it short for the duration of his treatment. I learned how to be a barber! His facial hair stayed in. I had to trim that every week, and he hated it when I cut his Fu Manchu too short! The chemo they use for brain cancer works differently than the chemo for body tumors, it left his hair alone, just messed up his vascular system and bone marrow!

Hope he gets through all these traumas OK, and that the chemo does its work to kill the tumor, and lets the patient live a lot more years disease free! That is our prayer for your dear husband.

Armando2100
August 8th, 2012, 03:08 AM
This is very bad but i have a formula you just use a great and high quality of shampoo for your hairs and do not use any other recipe for your hair avoid to use all kind of junk shampoo's and oil's and other type things.....
This is only the way you are still aware to hair fall...