PDA

View Full Version : Saturdays are meant for fun

Blondie
July 28th, 2012, 07:03 AM

Good Morning folksies! Happy end of the week to you! Doing the happy dance for my personal TGIF. Woke up this morning all stuffy - allergy to something going on. Nothing that a hot cuppa won't help.

Yesterday we were expecting some heavy hitting t-storms to make their way. Nope. They have been passing right over us. All we have been getting is some wind and thunder. Sure could use some weather. Becki, did you lose power? WXII was speaking of High Point area and there abouts with 4000 folks without power. I know you are in W-S, but not sure how far between. My son in GSBO had some fierce weather. Send it to Fisher Hill Road. The little brick house on the right, after Curry Curve before the big bend and drop at Patterson's Place. You know I am trying to do the same for all here who need it. Has anyone here been affected by the storms in the NE? Trish? I heard some whoppers were in Pennsy.

Sis and I have taken a few days off from the yard crashing because of my work and her back. We are almost about ready to start in again. We have only just begun, actually. I am bringing my sketch book back down to Mom's to walk around the yard with. We are almost at the place of being able to dig up some things to move to the front. I want to make sure I don't miss a good opportunity.

Have a wonderful day and weekend everyone! No guarentees I will be here in the morning; we may have a sleep over at Mom's tonite.

buckeyequilter
July 28th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Good morning....

I'm up early..went to bed early last night. We got some thunder last night and the sky looked stormy but it missed us. I'm getting ready to do some more on Mom's quilt this morning.

Have a wonderful day everyone...prayers and hugs to all.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 28th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Hi everyone! Got the call last night from Cyndi that more quilts for Bethany's new crop of Foster kids were needed. Two boys and a girl. Seems that girls are easier to make or find quilts for. I was working on a new HST quilt for a girl as she was making the request. Got the blocks done for that during the first part of the Olympics opening ceremonies. But she needed two boy quilts. I already had some squares cut for a boy quilt, but for an older kid. So I found some very cute pirate fabric that would go with the color of the squares I had already cut, Cyndi gave the go ahead, and I got the blocks sewn and cut and ironed during the Parade of Nations. I'm going to put it together this morning.

Still not a drop of rain here, we haven't had rain in weeks. My trees are showing stress, 3 dear trees in my front bed, one Japanese maple that was a memorial tree for my late husband, definitely want to help that survive!

Hugs and prayers for all! Have a great day.

Monique
July 28th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Good morning everyone.

I got the DP9 put together yesterday. Stared it a while to figure out how to quilt it. I decided straight lines were the fastest. I need this by Aug 12. So that is what I did yesterday. Started hand quilting it. It is going very fast.

I did go to that sale yesterday. I picked up a lot of thread, some embroidery patterns, and two quilting magazines. There were a lot of magazines, but I have so many already. There wasn't a whole lot of fabric, just a few pieces, which I did not buy. She did have a Singer Featherweight that is going up for silent auction. And no, I did not bid. I already have one.

Today, we will go grocery shopping for the trip to the camp tomorrow. I am so looking foward to some relaxing time. I think I will take the hand quilting with me although I don't know if I will have time. There will be lots of fishing being done.

That's about it for me. Have a wonderful day everyone.

toggpine
July 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Morning All!
I'm off for the first of two days worth of providing training in Emergency Animal Sheltering. This ought to be interesting. I am hoping all goes smoothly, or I may just quit as the training director. I'm not so sure why I feel obligated to continue this project, it is not like I am being paid. It takes up huge amounts of time I could be quilting and eats the fabric budget in terms of extra gas for all of the meetings I have to attend.
Ugh!
The one good thing is that most of the people are really great. That is what I'll be focusing on today. Great people out for a good cause!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Cathy

MRoy
July 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Good morning. Taking the grand-kids shopping later for baby fabric. Their new baby brother was born after they arrived here and they want to try making a quilt for him. Pray for all three of us...LOL!

We had stormy weather here last night....high winds and rain. Between the weather and cramping legs, I didn't get much sleep. I need to get outside and see where my porch ferns landed after getting blown away.

CrazyMtnLady
July 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Good Morning, woke up with bad leg cramps so go up and jumped in the hot tub for a good muscle soaking. That was very relaxing.
It rained for about a minute here yesterday afternoon. It got real windy so I went out and rolled the windows up on the truck and then it rained about a minute and quite. DH was in the garage (with the big door opened), buffing a gun barrel he is repairing for a friend, and he didn't even hear the rain. LOL. He said he knew it got windy but didn't know it rained. I said it didn't even get the driveway dirt wet!
Watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics last night. I told DH that I didn't understand why I didn't feel a connection with England. I was born in USA, Mom was from Australia (which I feel a connection too) but all Mom's family from her parents back were from England, yet I do not feel that pull to England like I do to Australia.

Going to relax and watch some Olympics today, as soon as I look up what's on and when. Maybe I'll even try to get some quilting done. I do have some UFOs waiting to be sandwiched and quilted.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs and prayers.

Lonna
July 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Good Morning All,

Sounds as if most have a quite day planned. I will be here at work until 2:00 and then home to do some quilting. It seems as of right now the only time I have to quilt is Sat afternoon and on Sunday. By the time I get home from work and get the evening meal done I am too tired to do anything else. So I am looking forward to this afternoon.

Have a great day my friends.

Sandy Navas
July 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Sandy to Blondie: "Just how many muscles are there in your body?"
Blondie to Sandy: "I don't know, but every one of them hurts."
Sandy to Blondie: "Now you know why I have a flower bed with weeds."

Sounds as if everyone has been busy or has busy plans. Wish I was off to go fishing with Monique and family. Wish I had a new grandson to make a quilt for - jealous of the BOYS, Myrna. Shirley - what's the latest on Momma, and do we get sneak peaks at her quilt in progress. Jean, Jean, Sewing Machine - do you EVER sleep? You seem to be the busiest lady I have ever come in contact with. I think you must put on a Speedo in the morning. Sending you a PM shortly, too. Cathy - you know what they say: "If you want something done and done correctly, just ask the busiest person you know to do it." You seem to always have your hands full. Sure hoping your training session goes well - now just train someone else to do your job. Volunteer jobs are quite often thankless - but you know the good feeling when you have accomplished your goal. You go Girl!

Talk about volunteering. Volunteered to be a quilting judge at the neighboring county 4-H Achievement Day. Judging took place last night in the community center (actually a reclaimed school house where I attended from 3rd through 8th grade). I was really dreading going because I haven't been feeling my perkiest and they had said we may be as late as 10:30 p.m. finishing. I think there were a dozen entries in the Quilting section so I was finished around 8:30 (YEAH). The did, however, save the very best for last.

Jacob was the most adorable 12 YO male quilter - complete with red hair and freckles (my soft spot for certain), and dimples that lit up the whole room. His flashing big brown eyes just stole my heart away and his pride in his projects made the whole night worth it. So poised for a young man, eager to tell his story, articulate and knowledgeable. I was so impressed with his work and tried to trick him a couple times to see if he actually did the work by himself (I am certain he did although there were a couple others that I questioned). Jacob, instead of one quilt, had three projects and was able to tell me in detail just how each was constructed, where he had problems, what he would do differently, and why he enjoyed quilting. I would have brought him home with me if I wouldn't get caught and charged with kidnapping. We so need a young man in the family. Anyway, Jacob earned the Best of Show ribbon in the quilting category. He is the only one who knew his quilting instructor's name, knew the pattern of his quilt (Crazy Eight), and the only one who put a border on his quilt.

Today I believe I will retire to my studio and try to finish some commitments I have made to others. I have been so lazy lately and totally strung out with the grandkids.

Sending out those special thoughts and prayers, you know the routine. If you need a hug I've got them . . . and don't be alarmed if I lean my head on your shoulder and start snoring a bit during the embrace.

bakermom
July 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I'll be at our fairgrounds today setting up for our fair. I did some judging-not quilts though- last week. i did get a sneak peek at some of 4H quilts though. There our some very talented kids out there. Our quilting heritage is safe for another generation.
i gave my entries a final going-over, two small quilts and a purse this year. we'll see how it goes.

ginampls
July 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
i may get some chores done today. but DD wants togo garage saling... this could be good...if i see a sewing machine i think i could grab it....if price is right...been so hot this summer . i don't want to a thing...oh well.

DCM
July 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
It's so neat to read about a boy who is interested in quilting and a pat on the back to those of you who are teaching your grandsons to quilt along with your granddaughters.

We have not had rain for so long I don't think I'll remember what it is when it does rain someday. I'm going to try to work on a quilt as you go baby quilt today. I need to get 3 baby quilts finished soon -- seems like that's all I work on these days. I also volunteered to make crayon caddies (they roll up) for a friend's grandson's birthday party -- they're giving them out as party favors. Have a great Saturday!

KiltedQuilter
July 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi everyone!
Back from visiting and guess what? The builders are STILL next door working! ARGH! it's very noisy!

So who watched any of the Olympics opening ceremony? WOW! I did not expect to like it, to begin with I couldn't really get my head around the "Olde English" countryside scene or the idea of Danny Boyle doing it....but well, whadayaknow it was AMAZING! I loved it!
I will be tuning in to see young Tom Daley and keeping my fingers crossed for him to win a gold diving medal. Go Tom!

BellasQuilts
July 28th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hello all, and good morning. Everyone up bright and early and busy, busy. DD stopped by yesterday with DGS. Their first outing. She was getting cabin fever. Saw this and had to share it.

EnumclawGramma
July 28th, 2012, 02:28 PM
LOL love that! Makes me wonder what my dogs think. I have lots to keep me busy today but I'm still working on getting my energy back after being sick for so long. Good day to work on my Halloween blocks. You all sound so busy! I love that! Watched the opening ceremony last night, actually watched most of it as I fell asleep before the US came in. Paul McCartney sure is getting up there in years. Where does the time go?

Hugs and prayers all 'round, keeping those in need close at heart today. Enjoy your Saturday!

auntiemern
July 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM
So very impressed with the young man that won best in show. Good to see that a young man his age isn't all about video games. Make this old gal believe there is hope for our youth after all :)

Ginny B
July 28th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hi all. Sounds like everyone had a pretty busy day planned. We spent most of the day at the car dealership and finally decided on a 2008 Ford Escape -- and it's RED!! I wanted a red car but you have to pay extra for red if you are buying new. So if we went with a new one, I was going to go with blue because that's considered a standard color choice. I test drove the new one, test "sat" in a 2012 to see if the non-power, yet adjustable seats would be ok for me since I am so short (they did work so that meant one more option we didnt' need) and test drove the 2008. I liked the new one but once I got into the 2008, it felt like I had driven it for years. It was just so comfortable to sit in, handled beautifully and I felt confident driving it. I wasn't crazy about the gear shift in the new model and the handling was different. And, we would have to wait anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the new one to come in. Now I've got my new addition sitting in my driveway. :). I had a headache halfway through the whole process and I'm glad it's done with and happy with our decision.

We woke up to torrential rain this morning and thunder. And then just a little while ago we got more. I think it's actually hurting my zucchini plants. They look a bit soggy.

I did get some sewing done before and after the car adventure. I had a farmer's market charm pack and decided to make a shopping bag to use when we go a local farm here each weekend for our fresh produce. I showed it to dh and he liked it. Just have to get some handles put on and it's ready for the next trip.

Haven't had a chance to watch the Opening ceremonies yet I have to look and see what events are on tonight. Right now I'm watching the Yankees/Red Sox game and then I'll switch over to the Olympics. I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday evening.

Ginny B

cyndiofthevortex
July 28th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I've been busy today - almost have the rows sewn together for my Wonky Star quilt - no money this week for borders and backing but next week looks good for it. DH and I spent the day at the lake with the grandkids. It's hard to keep them from drowning themselves but we all came home alive. And what did we find when we came home? The neighbor's sheep in our garden! She had eaten the tops off 1/3 of our carrots and the head off one of my prized sunflowers. We've been having trouble keeping her out of our yard but she's mostly just munched on some of the bushes until today. My neighbor is so nice and we don't want to bug her about it, but she might just come home one day and find her fence badly mended!

All this talk about 4H has made me decide to put my homespun quilt in the Deerfield Fair this year. Maybe it will win a prize?

toggpine
July 29th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cyndi,

Send the sheep home with a bill for the produce she ate and an estimate for fence repair tied to her fleece. You can figure about $200 for a roll of sturdy woven-wire field fence, steel T-posts, wooden posts, the clips and fence staples to hang the fence. That does not include the cost of labor! Granted that will do about 100 feet of fencing, but that should be enough to protect your garden.
If that hint isn't enough, a jar of mint jelly with a note, "We really don't want to have to resort to this to keep your sheep out of our yard/garden." might be enough.

As an owner of animals that will roam and eat things that they shouldn't I am always mortified if they behave this way. I would want you to tell me that they are out and causing you trouble. If you just keep tucking the sheep back into the fence, the owner may not know she's getting out.

We had a pretty decent day one at the sheltering training. Tomorrow is the more boring bit of paperwork and set up, followed up by a practical exercise. I'm bushed, and after milking I'm headed in to review tomorrow's slides and then hit the sack!

I hope you all had a productive day!
Cathy

auntiemern
July 29th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Where has this day gone? I have been vegging out all day. After the week at Rhonda's and my nephews car accident yesterday morning, my brain is just to tired to do anything that requires the slightest amount of concentration. Not to mention my body is just not being cooperative. Still flaring badly. Knee looks like something out of a horror flick. Will be going to DD's tomorrow for my Bubby's 3rd birthday. Every year is such a blessing after we came so close to losing him. Made the tater salad earlier, and took roaster and extra cooler to her. He was so excited to see his Gran, and I got big hugs and kisses from him and his sissy. My oldest is still with Rhonda, and will come home tomorrow in time for the party. Wishing every one a wonderful night, and sending prayers to those in need.

janluna
July 29th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Sandy, You are so sweet! What a great thing you did for your prize winning young man. You asked how he did things, and that will so inspire him. Plus he took the best in show, how cool is that?!
Cathy, you are so busy! How do you get it all done. I know really, I used to be the same way. Until I broke me. lol Take care Honey. I worry about you.
Hope everyone had a great day. Cyndi, I would listen to Cathy. At least tell them what is happening. You can do the rest Cathy suggested if they ignore you. lol
Have a great day tomorrow, oh what am I saying, it is tomorrow! Have a great today!!!
Love, Hugs, and prayers, Jan L.
P.S. Sandy you can sleep on my shoulder anytime. {:-> <3

Blondie
July 29th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Sandy to Blondie: "Just how many muscles are there in your body?"
Blondie to Sandy: "I don't know, but every one of them hurts."
Sandy to Blondie: "Now you know why I have a flower bed with weeds."

Blondie to Sandy: "I have the market cornered on Tigar Balm and Bio Freeze. Lucky for you, I share"