PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations London!

Divine Daisy
July 27th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Ok, you all know by now that I am not a great fan of holding the Olympics in these hard times when we are cutting funding everywhere to those in need.

But

However one feels politically, no one could begrudge the cudos deserved tonight for the amazing opening ceremony that we put on. It was so very british. Funny as hell in parts, brought a lump to the throat in the next second.

I hope these games pass in peace and the true meaning of sportsmanship. Good luck everybody!

BellasQuilts
July 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thank you London for hosting them. and yes, let it go in peace and good sportsmanship! We are going to watch tonight.

Ginny B
July 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I've got it recording even as we speak. Looking forward to watching. I like the winter olympics more but will be watching as much of the gymnastics, swimming, diving and some volleyball as I can. Yes, let us pray for peaceful and sportsmanlike games. That being said, USA! USA! USA!. :icon_wave::D

auntiemern
July 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
We are just now getting to watch it. Recording it as well because I know I have to miss part of it. Congrats London. So happy Daisy that you got to feel the pride of your country :)

Poppytree
July 27th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Made me feel proud to be British too. Got up at 5.15am to watch it all live! Loved the ecentricity of it all - so many special moments. Loved the James Bond bit and David Beckhams arrival. Stunning flame lighting but I thought the Arctic Monkeys and Paul McCartney were a little disappointing.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 27th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Right now, we are getting the parade of nations. I must say, the beginning hour was just magical, and amazing. Love the queen's entrance! In the televised version, there was a flash of a woman making an insignia out of cloth, I really thought of you Daisy! Did you audition for that part? Lots of subtle British humor, Chariots of fire was hilarious. Very, very well done! Thought of you guys during the whole time!

Bubby
July 27th, 2012, 11:19 PM
The amount of work and rehearsal that went into the opening program must have been enormous! Let the Games begin! Good luck everyone!!

Poppytree
July 28th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Must get some quilting done quickly so I can sit and bind the finished bits in front of the TV.

janluna
July 28th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Just watched the opening of Olympics. I loved it! England has done themselves Proud!
Hugs, Jan L.

Musical_Starling
July 28th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I missed the first part, I didn't tune in until just before the cauldron was lit and had to run off again. But I'm recording it so I can watch it from beginning to end tomorrow when I'm able to sit in one spot long enough lol

It makes me giggle that the Olympics are physically closer to me right now than the winter Olympics were when they were held in my own country. Now they're just "across the pond" instead of across the country lol

nurrsey
July 28th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Let the games begin London!!

Monique
July 28th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Well said Daisy.

madampolo
July 28th, 2012, 09:29 AM
The Olympics not only bring pride to a county, but also economic development and are good for the economy. Just think of the jobs created in building, readying, and hosting the events. Afterward, the city has the facilities to use for other events. I would never say to cancel the Olympics because of hardships in the economy.

Carolyn23
July 28th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Oh wow! Well done London! The most spectacular lighting of the Olympic flame that I can remember. The whole show was wonderful as well! Loved the history of England story line. Loved that all the Mary Poppins are nurses in real life. Even Paul McCartney was choked up when he began to sing Hey Jude. Those first few phrases barely made it out. I thought he was perfect for the closing number. Never get tired of hearing him sing.

Just one question for my friends across the pond: Does your queen ever smile?

CrazyMtnLady
July 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Congratulations London, great job. I was wondering what on earth the girls were carrying during the Parade of Nations, and then when they did the Lighting of the Torch I thought ..............Wow, that was awesome.

I was wondering about the Queen not smiling myself.

Daisy I thought you should have at least been out there banging on one of those drums!

alliek
July 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Wonderful show! Loved the Queen's entrance. She truly has a wonderful sense of humor to let the world see that marvelous piece.
Congratulations London - Well done!! I love your city and your people, need to visit again! Let us pray all see these games in a truly "coming together" spirit that is so desperately needed in this world. :icon_bigsmile: