PDA

View Full Version : My newest quilting tool....

buckeyequilter
July 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I bought this Quick Quarter ll from Connecting Threads (http://www.connectingthreads.com/Tools/Quick_Quarter_II__D81053.HTML)and I love it. When I try to press my squares sometimes they are still off a little bit and this makes it so easy. You just mark the cutting (dashed line) in the center and then draw a line on each side (using the ruler as a guide) it is 1/4" and is the stitching line. Then cut it in half.....so easy!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 27th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I need this in 15 minutes, can I borrow yours?

EnumclawGramma
July 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I've seen this and wondered....I may have to get it! Thanks for posting!

K. McEuen
July 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Nice. I seem to do better with the drawn lines and since I never seem to get the right ruler to draw from corner to corner this would be great. Never noticed this before.

buckeyequilter
July 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I need this in 15 minutes, can I borrow yours?

Sure....but now it's too late.

auntiemern
July 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool tool. Will have to check it out.

Cat n bull
July 27th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I got a box of quilting supplies from ebay when I was first starting to quilt, and one of these was in it. I had NO CLUE what the heck it was! It took me forever to figure it out! LOL!

bec
July 28th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I almost ordered one of those from Fons and Porter. It was a set of two - one short and one long - for 12.99. I bet Connecting Threads has a better price. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for sharing your tool.

janluna
July 28th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'll have to get one of those! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Jan L.

nurrsey
July 28th, 2012, 01:29 AM
My quilting instructor recommended it so I bought it and agree that it does work well.

kelliedi
July 28th, 2012, 02:28 AM
ok so silly question here.... why wouldn't a regular plastic school ruler work?.... i don't know the width from the center to the edge on a ruler but in reality couldn't you account for that? I know, I know, cool tool and all that but when I can get something for 25-40 cents versus 12.99 and could use that extra on fabric.... well... i would rather. This is something i will check out and let you know.

Klasien
July 28th, 2012, 03:54 AM
That looks like a very nice tool!

Have fun with your new toy!!!!

madampolo
July 28th, 2012, 04:31 AM
This is exactly what the June Tailor Half and Quarter Square Triangle ruler does for you. You have a center line you place on the two corners, and there are two channels for your marking pen that guide your pen quickly at the 1/4 inch. What you end up with is the sewing lines, and you never have to try to sew 1/4 inch away from the cutting line again. There is also another set of dotted lines that you place on your sewn lines, and there is another channel at your cutting line for your rotary cutter to cut the two halfs apart, or you can just use a scissors. The last thing it does for you is to square up your ironed patch into absolutely perfect half squares. I couldn't live without it.

KerriS
July 28th, 2012, 04:32 AM
ok so silly question here.... why wouldn't a regular plastic school ruler work?.... i don't know the width from the center to the edge on a ruler but in reality couldn't you account for that? I know, I know, cool tool and all that but when I can get something for 25-40 cents versus 12.99 and could use that extra on fabric.... well... i would rather.

That were my thoughts too.. aaand why would I mark the stitching lines?
I've got a 1/4"- foot, so if I just mark the cutting line everything else will work well

bec
July 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
ok so silly question here.... why wouldn't a regular plastic school ruler work?.... i don't know the width from the center to the edge on a ruler but in reality couldn't you account for that? I know, I know, cool tool and all that but when I can get something for 25-40 cents versus 12.99 and could use that extra on fabric.... well... i would rather. This is something i will check out and let you know.

12.99 is what fons & porter wanted for a set of two. I checked Connecting Threads after seeing this thread and it looks like they sell a single quarter inch guide for 3.99.

Quiltlover
July 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I bought one a while back that I found on sale at Hancock's I think.....the store not the web site. It was in a bunch of marked down stuff. Had to pick it up and ponder what it was for. Does come in handy at times. Was cheap or I wouldn't have bought it. LOL I am a certified cheapskate!!!
I don't often mark seam lines, just when I am handsewing something that needs to be exact or cutting the half square triangles or sewing two of the squares together that will then be cut into half or quarter squares. Does that make sense?
Am not so sharp this a.m. Got up with acid reflux hurting and I am wanting to go to a sale at my LQS. May have to drag my bootay there anyway...want to go. ARRRHHHH!

Nanaof2
July 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Got mine from Jo Ann's , had 2 sizes very useful!

Sew_Silly
November 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM
That's sounds just like the Fon's and Porter 1/4" seam marker set.

I have their Half and Quarter Ruler. It looks like a Instead of cutting from squares, you cut from strips. Also instead of adding 7/8" to squares, you only need to add 1/2" to strips.....so if you need 2" finished HST you only need 2 1/2" strips. One side is placed for HST (indicated by yellow lines} and another for QST (black lines) The ruler is easy to read....find the size you need and follow the line across to find needed strip width...NICE!! You can even cut squares from the same strip if needed:lol:
Since the very first time I seen it used on F&P's Love of Quilting (public TV) it was the first thing I put on my wish list and I love it! I ordered 1.5 weeks ago and used it for the first time. I'm so new and it sure is nice only having to flip the ruler back and forth along a strip... moves faster and don't have to think about the match:D

I'm gonna get that seam marker set too.....for when I want to make 2 HST units at once from 2 squares sewn down each side of the center and cut.

Sew_Silly
November 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM
....meant to say...." It looks like a triangle and that it can make up to 4" HST's and 8 1/2" QST's

oops :)

ncgrammie
November 22nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Oh wow. I am so getting one of these. Thanks for sharing. I never thought to look at CT for a ruler. Thanks for posting!

Gayle8675309
November 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
I've never seen that tool before. Looks like it would be handy to have.

Gayle

Monique
November 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
I bought one back in Sept but haven't used it yet.