PDA

View Full Version : Traveling tomorrow

Slokarma
July 25th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I'm flying to FL tomorrow to go check in on Mom.

Does anyone know if I can take ground coffee in my carryon or will they confiscate it?
I can't find anything definite on the subject, except for others asking the same question.

Ok, go ahead and laugh, but I just happen to have a good friend with a shop, so I get fresh roasted
beans.....I'm spoiled, what can I say?? ;)

I'm trying to get by without checking in a bag........and NOT over pack, like always.

nursepammi
July 25th, 2012, 02:02 AM
dry coffee powder is ok, it's not a gel type substance so u are good to go.

Slokarma
July 25th, 2012, 02:05 AM
O thank you. A least I'll have good coffee.......WHEWWWWWWW!

CrazyMtnLady
July 25th, 2012, 04:11 AM
have a safe trip.

Blondie
July 25th, 2012, 05:09 AM
We'll miss you while you are gone. Enjoy yourself.
Blondie

Monique
July 25th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Have a wonderful and safe trip!

carolv
July 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Be safe and hope everything's good with your mom.

quiltingtrish
July 25th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I must say that is a question I haven't heard before, but an important one!! If I don't have my coffee, I get grouchy.
I'll pray for your pilots and I hope you have a good visit with your mom.

Hugs,

lilmouse
July 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Enjoy your visit with your Mom..hope everything is well

Bubby
July 25th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Have a safe trip and make some good memories with your Mom.

Slokarma
July 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Thank you for all your well wishes.

UPDATE: yes, you can carry your coffee........BUT something I didn't consider........

Yesterday was a day that was either really funny or hellish. Depends on whether you are the heroine of the story or the innocent bystander watching......I of course am the heroine in the story..........and I haven't recovered enough to chuckle about it......YET.

I was worried about my mother's meds and how she was sounding on the phone, so off to Fl I go, but before I go, I have to take my DH up to Cleveland Clinic to see pain management and a shot in the back, which requires a driver.......ME. So off we go, just under 2 hr drive up north, THEN, off to Akron Canton airport so I can board as per TSA rules. Now my hubby has his own clock FOR EVERYTHING, always has..and hasn't flown in years............... O, lets stop and get a sandwich, DURING RUSH HOUR traffic between Cleveland and AKRON.....OK, could be all good, could be nightmare........no stopping I say and of course, no major road blocks and I was there 1 1/2 hr before door would close. OK, he gets his soda and decides that sandwiches at Subshop.....only thing available in non security area. TOO expensive, he'll wait till he leaves and kisses me at the TSA line and waves goodbye.

Ok, I go thru the routine, as I checked nothing, so as I'm going thru x-ray, something lights up on sides of breasts and underarms.....light grope.....ok, I good to go on. THEN the guy has my carryon suitcase....Ma'am could you step over here, don't touch nothing, can I check your bags?.......like I got a choice.......Yes, help yourself.....any explosives or sharp or blah blah blah.......NOPE, check away. Get's out the explosive checking wipes.....(Saw it on TV....HA, can't fool me).......and wipes the perimeter and handles of suitcase and places it in the explosive wipe checker outer, and I get a clear. Next he keeps digging. Finally he asks........do you have some kind of GPS or something I didn't understand.........No, unless it's something deep in a pocket that was in there from a while ago and I had forgot about it, I have nothing to hide. SO, he goes into the undie, sock, bra and comes up with an ankle weight.....yes, the 3 lb kind that you velcro onto you ankle.....I have a severely sprained ankle that I need to rehab, so I decided to take it and keep up with my little routine....He takes it out of there like it's going to explode at any moment......O that, it's for my sprained ankle. He takes it over to the other guy, they have a conversation and stick it in another x ray machine, brings it back, says it's not illegal, but I should have taken it out and let them x ray it along with purse and shoes, cause it could be stuffed with dangerous stuff.......OK, lesson learned. No weights that aren't out in the open.

NOW, After 1 lay over in Atlanta, I end up in W Palm beach at 11 pm. and because free internet in the airport and planes, actually means that you can see stuff about the airport and flights, but after that.......NOT SO MUCH, so when I got to the airport, only two rental agencies were open and they only had full size luxury vehicles left and blah blah blah. WELL, by now, my knees are permanently bent in 90' angles, I twist my knee, reaching for my purse, and my foot stayed glued in it's spot while my 90' bent knee turned left and the airport is basically closing so GIVE ME THE CAR, I DON"T CARE THAT I"M MAKING A CAR PAYMENT FOR ONE NIGHT, WHATEVER, I have a two hr drive in front of me, in the dark, in the middle of no where and all my landmarks look different in the dark and I"M POOPED!

WELL, new fancy cars don't use keys to start them, so while the guy is hurriedly showing me how to start it and get the heck out of there so he can close and go home, he hands me the fancy schmancy key thingy and I am trying to grasp any and all info just to pull out, and I absent mindedly put the key fob in .......a special place, never to be found again........well, all most, but not before the police officer waiting in a secret hiding place, protecting the little no red light town of a speed trap, in the middle of nowhere, wonders why the woman is dumping everything she has in the car at the local 24 hr gas station........O yeah!

Officer, you're not going to believe this, but this is a rental car and it doesn't need a key to start and blah blah blah and I can't find the fob and I'm afraid to turn the car off because I'm not sure if it will ever start again.......O yeah......... that cop looks at me and I'm not sure what he thinks, but he says he'll guard the car while I run in the store.....Ok fine, as I'm sure he is running the plates and all that........anyways, he and I search everywhere with his trusty flashlight and I dump my purse and no, can't find the cute little fob and finally he says......WELL, you're just going into Okeechobee? yes sir.......well go on and call them in the morning and pay an enormous fee to get them to bring you out another one......he didn't put it that way, but that's what I heard. OK, I travel on.

This area has lots of improvements, so I miss my Mom's road while staring at the fancy new motel, but I u Turn and finally get there and Pull in the drive and
with lights on, the security lights coming on, ringing doorbell, hunting for said key fob, I can't get mom to wake up at all! WHATEVER!

I'm about to pull out and find the nearest motel, take a shower and start again tomorrow.....well sort of.....since I don't know whether the car will start.......but I try one last chance, I call my mother's phone twice and FNALLY, I see the light come on........VOILA, I'm in. So, at 4 am and an all night McD's coffee and I finally get to lay down and sleep!

This morning, or should I say mid morning, I found the fob in the bottom of canvas carryon bag.......laying there out in the open.......how did I miss it????? and since mom is acting erratically, we went to DR's together and he and I had a long conversation, which insulted her, because he basically laid it out to me in double speak so as not to insult her........so now it's afternoon, I'm sweltering in an 80' house and she's kind of pouting because I suggested to her that she really shouldn't be driving, (and the DR concurred) as she could be subjected to a drug/alchol test if she was to drive and something would happen and........"BUT the dr prescribed it, so it's not illegal" but MOM, under the influence is under the influence, no matter how it gets into our system..........so now, everything she says, she starts out with, I'm not crazy, Your the one that's crazy, I'm perfectly fine, just tired...........blah blah blah.........OMG!!!!!

Our conversations sound like something out of Abbot and Costello......who's on first base no, your on first base who is on third....that kind of thing or maybe a three stooges movie. She can't hear cause the dang TV is up too loud, and I think she's talking to the cat because she IS most of the time and nobody can say anything, ONE time in ONE sentence because we are always talking about two different things! OMG! I need a stiff drink and air conditioning! Calgon, take me away!

And I came down here from after spending the last two wks, getting my 90 yr old MIL out of the hospital and into a rehab/nursing center after she decided to go out into a HOT HOT GARAGE with a bag of trash that just had to go out on a 96" day and she kissed the concrete pavement with her forehead.............

and THANK YOU THANK YOU for letting me vent........I feel better all ready..........That's not really a lie........I really do feel somewhat better......LOL.......I'm not crazy, my dr just prescribed the vodka for me!!!!!.............ROTFL......(.well, at least for the moment)

Slokarma
July 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
HOLY COW, I didn't realize I had written a book till I hit sent and seen it all together all at once........but it's ok, the dr prescribed it for me........HA!

quiltingtrish
July 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Oh my goodness!! It's a good thing I prayed for your pilots, now I think I will pray for you. :) I deal with stuff like this with my Dad just about every week. The hot house, the "I can do it myself" things, "why is your phone beeping AGAIN?, you need to get a life", "don't the kids watch the news anymore or read the paper, how do they know what is going on in the world?" haha - all a part of them getting older. Good thing it isn't winter down there right now. Dad keeps it so hot that I keep my windows down on the 45 min. ride home just about the whole way.

Give your mom an extra hug tonight - and enjoy your vodka.
Hugs,

stitching woman
July 26th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Bless your heart and have another drink all will be better. Hugs.

SuzyQue
July 26th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Breathe, breathe, breathe......then repeat yourself for the entire time you are down there. Aren't aging parents fun!??? I just have to remind myself that someday I will be there, too. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you!