PDA

View Full Version : What a frustration on the quilt kit

AlohaSandy
July 25th, 2012, 01:53 AM
So I purchased this really cute quilt kit for a baby blanket it had cute zoo animals on it and seemed really easy (NOT) it shows the panel in front of the animals but when you go cut down the size of blanket to size the want they have you cutting off 3/4 of the animals on the front so the tops of their heads and tree is gone it is cut off. So I thought I am not going to do that and made my own pattern. Well that messed up the back and the boarders now I don't have enough fabric to match the cute borders. I went to the fabric store and purchased more fabric for the back and guess what I didn't buy enough for the back I am going to throw this in the trash over it. Oh yes and I loved this baby quilt so much I bought another one online this is before I even started to work on it I want to go back to bed and start the day over.

auntiemern
July 25th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Well that is not good. So sorry you had so much trouble.

denisecolli
July 25th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Oh don't throw it in the bin, put it aside , walk away and have a little think. I,m sure you,ll find a solution .it looks gorgeous

rebeccas-sewing
July 25th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I'm with Denise! Put it aside and get your mind in a better place.

Monique
July 25th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Set is aside for a while.

Bubby
July 25th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I agree...work on it another time! I have to do the same thing often lately!

Granny Judy
July 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Set it aside.. The day will come when You will be able to find a use or reason to revamp and use the fabrics. Right now it does seem like a big disappointment.. esp with the cost of fabrics and time spent. We've all been there..

I have a quilt top that I did last fall and just now reasoned that a nice applique over most of it will hide the mistake and make a great Kids quilt. I bought a couple of wall hanging Pooh Bear items.. these are my solution to cover up and add to my "rotten" quilt. All I need do is sew and stuff it to the top, then sandwich and quilt it. Just a thought for you to consider.

Patrice
July 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM
you have me scared now. I found a quilt my son loves and they have it in a kit. I have never done one from a kit so am a little nervous about it because I am pretty good at making mistakes. I just hate the process of picking out the fabric especially for men. He liked the fabric in this kit so thought I may give it a try

CrazyMtnLady
July 25th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Sandy, I agree to put it aside. You will think of something to do with it I am sure. I have read and read directions for projects in the past and thought...That just don't make sense..... then after the 100th time of reading the directions it is a ....duh! of course!

Patrice.....don't be afraid to try something. Just be sure to read the directions a couple times to be sure you understand it before doing any cutting.

RiverMomm
July 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Put it away for now-you will be able to use the fabric or finish the quilt in some sort of fashion one day.

I have never done a quilt from a kit. I just bought one . . . I hope its not the same as the one you got!! What does your look like?

HandsOffItsMine
July 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Run to the trash bin and pull it out! lol After some sleep and a good swig of Mai Tai - ok many swigs of Mai Tai, you will be able to take a new approach to the kit.

If the print doesn't allow for the cutting, then applique the portions so that the animals heads won't be missing. Just restyle the kit into your own quilt. :) You can do it.

You can email me a photo and I can photoshop a layout for you if you need help. rubyschmer@yahoo.com

Aloha and huggers, Ruby

AlohaSandy
July 27th, 2012, 01:13 AM
This was my first and last time a buy a kit and to think I purchased two of the same one I liked it so much lol well one good thing I got all the kinks out of the first one lol. Let me know how it goes I would love to see it. Mahalo
you have me scared now. I found a quilt my son loves and they have it in a kit. I have never done one from a kit so am a little nervous about it because I am pretty good at making mistakes. I just hate the process of picking out the fabric especially for men. He liked the fabric in this kit so thought I may give it a try

AlohaSandy
July 27th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Ruby thanks so much for the offer. I did put it down for a bit and picked it up today and worked on it and it seems to be better today. I ended up putting musilin on the back instead of flannel I was tired of going to Fabric Mart lol. I am saving you email for future reference just in case. Much Mahalo
Run to the trash bin and pull it out! lol After some sleep and a good swig of Mai Tai - ok many swigs of Mai Tai, you will be able to take a new approach to the kit.

If the print doesn't allow for the cutting, then applique the portions so that the animals heads won't be missing. Just restyle the kit into your own quilt. :) You can do it.

You can email me a photo and I can photoshop a layout for you if you need help. rubyschmer@yahoo.com

Aloha and huggers, Ruby

alliek
August 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM
I agree to put it aside, however, have you thought of writing/contacting the originators of the kit? Just a thought.