PDA

View Full Version : Another hot one...

Genny
July 23rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Another hot dry day here in southern Iowa...our gauge is showing 106, went out to water the birds and wow, couldn't hardly breathe. The grass looks and feels like straw and the only thing hanging on our apple tree is apples, the leaves have died and fell off.

Just took this pic of a deer drinking out of our neighbor's water fountain. Guess the wildlife are probably having a hard time too.

Slokarma
July 23rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
I don't remember the last time I mowed the grass. It's just plain brittle. I rigged up a hose to drip water, so all the birds and the little creatures out there in the woods can get a drink and from what I read and see, Iowa is worse than Ohio. I see my neighbor on his tractor spraying water on his orchard most evenings.

Sometimes, I think farmers must be the most optimistic people in the world!

middlesis1966
July 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
It's a hot hot one here as well. Plus little rain here. We look like we are gonna lose our tomatoes this year. That really is disappointing because they were doing so well up the the start of the heatwave. I thought for sure that with us watering like we are doing it would help. I just think being the the blazing sun doesn't help that much.

rebeccas-sewing
July 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Paula, Is there any way you rig up some sort of tarp over those tomatoes. Seems such a shame to lose them. Even some poles in the ground with some screening would shade them.

Slokarma
July 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
It's a hot hot one here as well. Plus little rain here. We look like we are gonna lose our tomatoes this year. That really is disappointing because they were doing so well up the the start of the heatwave. I thought for sure that with us watering like we are doing it would help. I just think being the the blazing sun doesn't help that much. Our tomatoes around here, look ripe, but when you cut in to them, the ribs are green. Not sure if this is a virus or something like this, or just plain STRESS from the heat........and I wait all year long for Ohio tomatoes in the summer! :( Hope it's just the early ones, but...............

middlesis1966
July 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Paula, Is there any way you rig up some sort of tarp over those tomatoes. Seems such a shame to lose them. Even some poles in the ground with some screening would shade them.

I'll give it a try rebecca! It's a shame that they are dying. Just like slokarma I've waited all year for summer maters. Nothing beats a homegrown tomato!

Blondie
July 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
I sure wish I could be sharing our tomatoes with you. I generally can a mess but this year I am donating a lot of our excess to a local ministry that runs a free food bank. It is just too stinking hot for me to think of canning or blanching for the freezer.
We are dry but not like y'all in the bread basket. We continually pray for the affected areas.

Bubby
July 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Our tomatoes are surviving, although the earlier ones got blistered on their shoulders. We water ours daily. We have two does and three fawns who come to drink from our hose every evening. They come around when we are watering and we leave the hose on low and draped over our hydrant and they all circle around and drink. We also have tubs of water for them in the woods, but they seem to like the hose water better. By now they know we won't harm them.

Genny
July 23rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
It's a hot hot one here as well. Plus little rain here. We look like we are gonna lose our tomatoes this year. That really is disappointing because they were doing so well up the the start of the heatwave. I thought for sure that with us watering like we are doing it would help. I just think being the the blazing sun doesn't help that much.

We water ours every morning and they're starting to ripen but they are really small and the skins are really tough.

New York Sue
July 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
We've gotten a smidge of rain, here and there in N.Y., but still well under our average. My heart goes out to all in the Midwest, especially the farmers. Devastating when your income hinges on the weather.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 23rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hot as billy blue blazes here in St. Louis also, not a drop of rain in weeks. I have a flowing backyard pond, had 5 fish in it a couple of weeks ago, now down to 4. Something is having a fish fry!

SuzyQue
July 24th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Last rain was early June.....and only about a tenth of an inch. 106 today and again tomorrow. Corn is done....soybeans will quickly follow. Leaves have left some trees. Grass was gone weeks ago. I think we are about 13 inches behind in rain at this point. Dry as a tinderbox. We do have enough insurance that we should have $$ for next years seed, so we can plant again. It will still take diesel fuel to get the crops down.....even without a harvest. Luckily the last time it was this bad was 1911. Kind of a once in 100 year kind of thing. We will survive and thrive. Rarely does it hit disaster two summers in a row.

alliek
July 24th, 2012, 03:41 PM
We really feel for all of you living under that heat that won't quit. We have been hot but nowhere like you have had to endure. We have been praying for the farmers and all those who grow gardens and need that produce for their families. I hope relief comes quickly. God Bless

bakermom
July 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
There was a story in the local paper of horses wandering out into ponds(what was left of them) and getting stuck in the mud. Three in two days-one died after being rescued- two others are alive but not on their feet so it doesn't look good for them. I' m sure they are not the only animals around here that have lost their lives this way. big lake near my DD is down more than 8'. They say it would take an inch a day for the rest of the summer to get the lavel back.

Genny
July 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
DH just checked our gauge by the back door that's in the shade and it's showing 108 degrees. TV weather channel is showing 105 degrees for tomorrow and then a little cool down of 90's for Thursday and then a few days in the 80's. We have a 40 percent chance of rain Wednesday night, small chance, but hopefully we'll get it.

CrazyMtnLady
July 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM
They are calling for possible rain in Southern Missouri on Thursday/Friday .... fingers crossed.

I know it is terrible for the woodland critters and livestock. We keep a child's swimming pool filled with water, not just for TarButt to play in, but for the cats and any other critter that might come along needing a drink.