PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler

madampolo
July 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
We took my husband's MIL (his late wife's mother) to a rendition of Fiddler on the Roof put on by a small troop in New Braunsfel Texas. While the theater was small, they did an awesome job. It was a long day driving to San Antonio to pick up our MIL, to the play, out to eat, and then driving all back. We got home at midnight last night, and were exhausted. I hope to get out there to work on my quilt today.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 23rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Love that play! Hope you all had a good time, even though exhausting and long day! Have fun quilting today.

I've ben meaning to ask you, does it get easier to load your quilts on the quiltinig frame as you go along? When we were having that discussion about sandwiching and you said "Oh I just put mine on the quilting frame" I was thinking, it takes me just about as long to do that as to sandwich and pin. Hopefully it will get easier and faster as I get more experience. I've done about 10 quilts so far, one big one and a bunch of smaller ones. I hope to load a biggie today and have good luck getting it on, straight and the quilt machine behaves well.

madampolo
July 23rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Jean, I don't load the quilt on the frame until I am ready to put it together. I seem to work on one quilt at a time, or maybe two. It doesn't take me too long to load the quilt. I put a bunch of straight pins in a wrist pin cushion. I have the middle marked on my leader clothes and a find the middle on my quilt top. I have a straight line sewn on my leader cloths, and I use that to know how to pin my quilt top straight. I do the same thing for the backing and the batting that I just make sure is as big as the backing. Once all three are on the rollers, I bring up the backing and pin on the take up leader. I bring up the batting and just lay it on the backing without pinning. Then I bring up the quilt top and pin it to the backing and through the batting, but not on the leader. I roll up the take up leader until it is positioned correctly under the machine, and then start quilting. I can't quilt more than about 5-6 inches at a time, a limitation for sure. Once a row is finished, I take up more and repeat. One issue I have is that I may get gaps in the starting row and the next row because I don't position the machine correctly. My meandering quilting isn't so pretty, but my objective is to put the thing together, and not beauty. (I am going to try for some beauty with the pantograph though.) My concern now on my king quilt is that it is long, and I am wondering if my machine will be able to handle the bulk in the throat of it.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Jean, I don't load the quilt on the frame until I am ready to put it together. I seem to work on one quilt at a time, or maybe two. It doesn't take me too long to load the quilt. I put a bunch of straight pins in a wrist pin cushion. I have the middle marked on my leader clothes and a find the middle on my quilt top. I have a straight line sewn on my leader cloths, and I use that to know how to pin my quilt top straight. I do the same thing for the backing and the batting that I just make sure is as big as the backing. Once all three are on the rollers, I bring up the backing and pin on the take up leader. I bring up the batting and just lay it on the backing without pinning. Then I bring up the quilt top and pin it to the backing and through the batting, but not on the leader. I roll up the take up leader until it is positioned correctly under the machine, and then start quilting. I can't quilt more than about 5-6 inches at a time, a limitation for sure. Once a row is finished, I take up more and repeat. One issue I have is that I may get gaps in the starting row and the next row because I don't position the machine correctly. My meandering quilting isn't so pretty, but my objective is to put the thing together, and not beauty. (I am going to try for some beauty with the pantograph though.) My concern now on my king quilt is that it is long, and I am wondering if my machine will be able to handle the bulk in the throat of it.

Yes, Joyce, I've vowed never to do a king size quilt. When I did a queen, I did have trouble with the size of it slowing down the machine once I got near the end. Since that was the first one I did, I realized why it was harder to move, and moved up my take up reel. I learn with each quilt. I do have a long arm 18", so I can do a bit more at a time, but with the take up reel getting fatter and fatter, you have less area that you are able to get to with the machine. Also, my machine has a wide base, I've seen some of them have a very narrow base. I think this limits how close to the bottom edge of the quilted surface is showing, because the machine bumps the roller for the backing and you can't get closer to that part of the quilt than about 2". There are always challenges, aren't there?

Blondie
July 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
That is one of my all time favorite plays and I watch the movie at least once a year. Glad you enjoyed it