PDA

View Full Version : Am a fidget

Divine Daisy
July 23rd, 2012, 07:37 AM
I am waiting for fabric to arrive so that I can begin my newest design that I planned in my head driving to and fro from the hospital. I was pleased with what was in my head and it has translated well onto paper. I have chosen Moda Tend the Earth (hydrangea) for the fabric.

I have called the design Bronte Country (which is where I live) and it was inspired really by what I can see on my trips to the hospital. Moorland, a lovely viaduct, stone walls and when it wasn't raining the air filled with butterflies and dragonflies. I dont have a blog......I know I wouldn't keep it up and doubt anyone would be much interested lol but I was wondering about doing something with building this quilt .

Would anyone be interested in the process of designing and constructing an applique picture quilt if I took progress pictures maybe? Please dont be polite and just say yes lol.

I intend to do a lot of embellishment on this wallhanging, beading etc and the whole progress is so organic I thought that maybe it might be a vague interest. I would do warts and all so would include changes of mind, mistakes, why something didn't work and I ripped (if I do lol) I have had a long debate with myself as to whether to make it a wallhanging or a quilt. I am still in two minds but am thinking that few adults would want a picture on their beds and it will be too grownup really for a child. Not to say expensive for a child but this is something you could chip in about if you wished.

So what do you think?

If you dont want to put a post saying, Daisy dont be so arrogant, why would I be interested lol send me a pm. I wont be offended!

Monique
July 23rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Daisy, sounds a little too complicated for me to attempt. It is definitely not for me. But I do wish you all the best in your adventure. I would love to see the end result though. I am sure there are people interested and you will get posts I am sure.

buckeyequilter
July 23rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds like it will be beautiful....but I'm just trying to sew a quilt top together so this is way beyond my skill level. Good luck!

NanaB
July 23rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Alison, I spend HOURS reading people's blogs. I think you might be surprised at the interest. I'm not a computer guru, or I would offer to help you with blogging. There are a LOT of people on this forum who blog. Hopefully one of them will offer to help you out. Good luck--can't wait to see your design.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Allison, I use Google Blogger, and it s infinitely easy to buiid your own blog. I know there are other blog venues available. I think your idea is brilliant, and knowing that you are going to make this a photographic journey before you start helps. You start thinking of things as to how to tell the story in pictures. Then start snapping away, downloading and building your episodes. My poor sad blog has been neglected because I pour out my soul on the forum. One thing about a blog is that it LASTS, doesn't disappear in a week or so.

Good luck, I think the idea is great and can't wait to see the resuts.

By the way, wallhanging is the way to go for your creation, no one should sleep on something that you've sent this much thought and hours working on it.

Claire Hallman
July 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
I would love to read about the journey of making this art piece. Pictures of course would be wonderful, too. Think of Kizzie's continuing thread as a great example of how many would read and enjoy your experiences as you create.

toggpine
July 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
I say go for it! I use Wordpress, and it has been very easy to work with. It is a great way to meet people too! Especially if you sign up for a few quilt blog sites.
I have enough projects of my own, but I always love to be inspired by other people's work and adventures. Photos always make a blog even more interesting!
I started mine with a quilt swap I was in. I wasn't sure if I'd keep it up, but it's been more on than off for about 3 years or so. It is a fun way to document things, kind of like a journal you share with the world.
Again, I say go for it!

CrazyMtnLady
July 23rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
Allison, I would be so interested in reading and seeing your progress on your project. I think a large wall hanging would be beautiful. Would love to see what design you have come up with.

Good Luck.

Sandy Navas
July 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Another idea for you to consider - do your entries here and start a thread similar to what Kizzie did. Then you just go to that thread and add your next entry. The main problem I see with that is to keep other members from hijacking or making comments which would cause the file to get out of hand. Perhaps, if you approached our wonderful Alan, aka Dr. Nye, aka GLSCGG (or something like that . . . good looking single computer guru guy) he could set it up for you so others could not post.

Anyway, I for one, would LOVE to read your adventures (note PM NOT sent telling you NOT to be ARROGANT). And, maybe, just maybe I could share sometime the quilt I always dreamed about when I was traveling . . . still haven't made IT!!

K. McEuen
July 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
You had me at Tend the Earth. I love that fabric line.

I agree with making it a wall hanging. I'd be afraid the beading and whatnot wouldn't hold up in quilt use. Then I'd be mad when my work got destroyed.

HandsOffItsMine
July 23rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Alison, I'm with you on the Photo Journal...would love to see the WHOLE creative process!!! Especially the warts! :D That's how we learn.

I would do it on an outside blog and put a Teaser Thread on The Forum - you can put your blog link in your thread and the address in your Forum signature line so that folks can always check it. I read Barb blog every day almost and check Cathy's regularly (love her goaties besides her family, hehe)

Check out the wall quilts this gal does, she journals the creation process as well...

http://plays-with-needles.blogspot.com/2011/1

Can't wait to follow yours, I might have to start my wall art soon as well.

LynneLeavell
July 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Daisy

I bet you do see some neat things going back and forth to the Hospital. Good luck with your adventures.

LynneLeavell
July 23rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Daisy, I bet you do see a lot of neat things going back and forth to the hospital. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

Divine Daisy
July 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
ok people, I tried this.

is just a beginning and am not happy with it yet but heres the URL

http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

HandsOffItsMine
July 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Great start Alison, now remember to go to your settings and copy the link under your signature - that way folks can click on it anytime to see what you're up to. Hehe!

Beach Cottage Quilter
July 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
ok people, I tried this.

is just a beginning and am not happy with it yet but heres the URL

http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Divine Daisy, I'm very excited for you and can't wait to see your blog grow and blossom. Kinda makes me miss my blog days anyways... Just a suggestion can you put your blog link in your signature line here on the forum? With maybe a one liner saying "from sketch to finish my quilting journey...(insert blog link here)" It will inspire and encourage others on the forum. Happy Blogging and Quilting!

Beach Cottage Quilter
July 23rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Great start Alison, now remember to go to your settings and copy the link under your signature - that way folks can click on it anytime to see what you're up to. Hehe!

Hee hee, guess I didn't see this post. Sorry...

lilmouse
July 24th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Allison, I like your start....will be following so please post link in your signature line...thanks!

toggpine
July 24th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I hate it when I can't comment on the blogs. Grrr. I tried to leave you an encouraging message, but my comments get eaten up in the void if I have to select my profile.

Well, in any case, I am thrilled that you have taken the huge first step in starting the blog! That can be the hardest part, although sometimes I feel guilty if I don't post as often as I think I should. Then I remember that my real life needs to come before the electronic one, or I won't have anything interesting to write about!

I look forward to seeing your quilty thoughts come to life there!
Cathy

ElaineP
July 24th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I'd love to see how you put your design together and have already but your blog on my favourites list.
Hope all is good with you and looking forward to see your work in progress.

Elaine

Divine Daisy
July 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM
have I done this signature thing right?

Beach Cottage Quilter
July 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM
have I done this signature thing right?

Yes, Fabulous! Thank You!!!!