PDA

View Full Version : My plum jam set, whoo hoo!!!!

BellasQuilts
July 22nd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Last year I tried my hand at making plum jam. I didn't want it too sweet, so I only put in half the sugar. It was runny and waaaaayyyy too tangy. This year I tried again. The first batch was more jelly like, but still not jam, but tastes good. I just made one more batch today and IT IS PERFECT! It tastes great and set up just like jam should. Doing the jelly dance in my kitchen, oh yeah!!

Now that I am a grandma for almost 2 whole days now , got to get these "grandma" like things down.

EsGrandma
July 23rd, 2012, 01:34 AM
Fantastic grandma! Reagan has a thrill coming from his grandma - well, it could be a few years before he enoys it!

BellasQuilts
July 23rd, 2012, 02:06 AM
I know! Just think how good I will be when he can eat solid food! lhahaha

Madeforyouinma11
July 23rd, 2012, 02:34 AM
Sounds real yummy! Make sure you write down what you did before you forget! Lol I do that all the time. I make a couple of changes in a recipe, we end up loving it, but the next time I go to make it I forget what I did. I'm trying to write everything down now.

candy
July 23rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Glad it turned out so well. I loved my grandmothers plum jam. It was always my favorite.

madampolo
July 23rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
My mother used to make the best dewberry jam. Dewberry is a small blackberry. My son loved it so much, he would call her up and say we were out and he needed more! Your GS is going to do the same thing for his gramma's plum jelly! I hope you wrote down your perfect recipe!

Sandy Navas
July 23rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Now that Megan has perfected her plum jam, I can share a brief story about my Aunt Rebecca. She was one of my Mom's sisters but as we loved to tell her - she got the 'short end of the stick' as she was only about 5 foot tall. One year she made apple jelly and something went terribly wrong. It set up so well it was stronger than any Gorilla Glue, you could bounce a coin off it. I could probably tell you it was the consistency of rubber . . . however with a whole lot of work you could manage to get a spoon in and twist. It was a lot of work - but oh, it was worth it. It was the absolute BESTEST jelly I ever ate. We begged her NOT to throw it out and I think Li'l Sis and I ate her whole production that year . . . and maybe the next. We used to tell her that we would love to have more apple jelly and she would threaten us with a fly swatter.

CrazyMtnLady
July 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yep...need to make yourself a "Gramma" apron and get those cookies in the oven! LOL.
Glad to hear your jam turned out perfect. Sounds yummy.

auntiemern
July 24th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Red Plum preserves are my absolute favorite. Except for my granny's grape marmalade. Have never been able to find grape marmalade since my granny passed away. Not thinking when I was a kid to actually get the recipe. So if anyone out there makes grape marmalade, please oh please let me know.

K. McEuen
July 24th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I never heard of grape marmalade, but looked it up. Seems like a simple recipe, but sounds more like jam to me.

GRAPE MARMALADE
Wash and stem grapes. Boil 5 minutes. Mash the pulp, but do not add any water. Remove from heat and put through colander. To each cup of grape pulp, add 1/2 cup sugar, boil 5 minutes and seal in jars.

Okay, looked at another one and this one might be more like marmalade.

Ingredients

1 pt. grape pulp
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
rind of 3/4 lemon

Directions

Boil all ingredients together slowly for about 30 minutes. Stir constantly. Before putting in jars, remove lemon rind. Pour into sterilized jars and seal with paraffin.

BellasQuilts
July 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I am going to try to make ginger plum jam this weekend! Yum.

Cellomom
August 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
I've never made plum jam, but have a great recipe for strawberry jam. The strawberries weren't too great this year, so I didn't make any. I'm on my last jar, so maybe I'll try a different fruit.

madampolo
August 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM
We went to a family reunion and they had a silent auction. One of the things to bid on were two jars of plum jelly. I bid on them, and won them for $15. A bit pricey, but worth it.

BellasQuilts
August 6th, 2012, 10:15 PM
How was it?
We went to a family reunion and they had a silent auction. One of the things to bid on were two jars of plum jelly. I bid on them, and won them for $15. A bit pricey, but worth it.