PDA

View Full Version : Saturdays at my TGIF

Blondie
July 21st, 2012, 06:15 AM

Happy Saturday, Folksies

Been up about an hour reading a bit here and also some web surfing. What a wonderful thing the internet can be. It is such an amazing catalog and wish book !Much better than tv.

So, what's up for the weekend? I am hoping that by now our Megan has a cuddly, new grandbaby to hold. After work this afternoon, we are going to my hubby's brother's home. They are having a birthday bash for him. It's been awhile since we've played with Luscious Larry's family, so this should be an adventure.

Off to find the coffeepot. Have a wonderful day! Smile, and then smile again. Prayers continuing for Aurora.

http://youtu.be/_0m3fRKP9BQ

Jean Sewing Machine
July 21st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Have a great day! I'm going to play with my grandkids today.

candy
July 21st, 2012, 07:04 AM
I got a shower invitation so I am going to make a baby quilt. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

rebeccas-sewing
July 21st, 2012, 07:12 AM
Hi Blondie, Hi Jean, Hi Candy,

The repair work is done! Yipee! No more smell from that disgusting bathroom leak from the upstairs flat! The fellow who did the work was a nice young man. He's Polish and doesn't speak much English. Somehow with hand signals we managed to communicate to a small degree. Now for the clean-up. Lots of stuff all over the place since we had to empty out the huge storage closets in the hallway, guestroom closet and large hutch in the hall. The manager of our flat will be by Tuesday evening to inspect the work. We'll be signing another lease for another year. More opportunity for friends to make it over for a visit. Today will be "putting it away" day. Not a great way to spend a Saturday but it needs to be done.

Started work on a Bargello quilt for a California friend. Post-It's are my new best friend. I also discovered if I fold back the pattern as I complete a row I don't get mixed up and my eyes don't get strained as much. It just dawned on me to enlarge the print-out of the pattern. That would also help. The scariest part of these Bargello quilts is the fabric selection. It took me a while to decide on that but I'm pretty pleased with my fabrics.

The Olympics are just around the corner. I'm looking forward to experiencing an event and all that goes with that. Joe says after this I won't want to experience it again. He's probably right! The number of people in the city and the security we'll encounter will be an experience that I will most likely only want to have one time in my life. After reading all about the Colorado shootings I just pray nothing tragic happens, over here, during the Olympics. Kinda scary, however, I refuse to live in a bubble.

I'm looking forward to going home for a few months, hopefully in September. Have to get my visa renewed before I can go home, otherwise, I won't be able to come back.

Enjoy the weekend!

aliaslaceygreen
July 21st, 2012, 07:54 AM
Good morning! Rained like it meant it last night for hours and hours... Hopefully that means it blew out some of the HOT that was in the area, but I won't hold my breath!
I got a bunch of 5 inch squares pieced yesterday in my effort to have a stockpile of baby quilts at the ready, and got one mailed out on the very day the baby in question was born!

I don't have a lot of inspirational ideas for quilting, but I suppose if I keep plugging away at it something will come to me!

Work this weekend, and then a short-ish week next week; took the day off to take DD to get two wisdom teeth out...and then...the following week, I will FINALLY see the light and be getting a full timer back in the shop after 4 months of slugging it out without one!!!!! Hope she is competent and a quick learner!

Have a great day!
Rebecca my DD would be envious...she loves London and the Olympics.... she'll be all drugged up during the opening ceremonies so it should be somewhat entertaining to watch with her, I suppose!

Lonna
July 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Good Morning All,

It is another rainey morning here in S.E. LA I hear thunder off in the distance. We have had some rough weather the past couple of evenings. Had quite a bit of flooding in New Orleans yesterday.
Next week I will be working all alone as my manager will be going on vacation so looking forward to a little quite time at work next week. Between him being gone and the middle of the month it should be very quite. Will have to find something to carry to work with me to take up some of that time.
I have me a little list of things I want to get done this weekend. Most of those are things to do in my sewing room but have to get the not so fun jobs done first. Like a little house work. This past week has been a rough one Wayne has really been having a rough time this week. He had his first strong dose of chemo monday and has really been sick all week. But he has still carried on like the trooper that he is. But I have let a few things go so need to get them caught up.

Have a great weekend all and enjoy your familys.

Bubby
July 21st, 2012, 08:47 AM
Good Morning!

DH and I are ready to leave for the day to work on the apartments. I have two appointments with prospective tenants early this morning.

Yes, I hope Megan has her grandbaby in her arms by now and that she wallowing in the sweetness of being a new grandma. Rebecca, aren't you fortunate to be in London for the Olympics! It will certainly be exciting but along with it will come a lot of inconvenience as well. I hope you are able to attend some of the games.

I have to run for now...everyone have a great day!!! Barb

carrie liz
July 21st, 2012, 08:57 AM
A friend is picking me up this morning and we are going to the Ellis County Quilt show. It Is a small local show. I've seen two of the quilts entered and decided I was glad I didn't have to judge. I think the competition for a blue ribbon will be fierce. Hope each of you have a good day.

CrazyMtnLady
July 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Good morning. Seem a bit cooler this morning but it won't last long.

Today I plan on going down to one of our neighbors and seeing if she is still interested in taking a 2 or 3 or the kittens. I will let her have first choice of all but HalfPint. Then if my other neighbor is home I will stop off to visit with her and see if she still wants a couple. It is time to find them homes before I get too (much more) attached to them.

I am trying to decide what pattern I want to make with the charm packs and fabric I got with last Friday's daily deal. It was the Bittersweet charm pack.

My neighbor lost one of his dogs a couple days ago. She was really old and blind and I think the heat just got to be too much for her. She was a sweet dog. Farmers are losing livestock too. Some from the heat but others because the grass has dried up and they are eating toxic weeds. I sure hope we get rain soon.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Prayers to all in need and to those in Aurora, CO.

middlesis1966
July 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM
Morning all! I'm up but can't say I'm at it just yet. I didn't get to sleep till 2 am. I walked in a relay last night and stayed until my achy bones couldn't take it anymore. I woulda love to stay the whole night, but it was an hour drive home after and felt it wasn't a safe drive home if I did. I walked with my cousins team and it was so much fun. I love the luminia ceremony. It's a very powerful time and I was honored and blessed the a luminia was purchased in my honor. I did get teary eyed when they play a certain song while they displayed my name on the giant screen. I never thought in a million years that I would ever be diagnosed with cancer and to see your name on a screen honoring you with tons of other survivors made it so real.

Got a pretty much lazy day planned. Hubbys wanting to go go go. I just want to veg veg veg. We have my nieces party tonite and it's going to be another late night for me. Whew I remember a time when that kinda schedule didn't even faze me. Now I kinda like my sleep a bit more, hee hee!

Megan congrats on your new grand baby!! Can't wait for the pictures. I hear being a gma is the bomb!! I can't wait for that day when I get to be a granny!!

Prayers for all the people in Aurora.

Well all have a fun filled day!

quiltingtrish
July 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
A good Saturday to everyone~~
Katie came through the knee surgery with flying colors. He prescribed Vicadin, but she said she isn't even hurting this morning. The last medicine she had was Ibuprophen about 3 AM. The inside of her knee didn't quite fair so well. Her ACL was shredded so he repaired that with a cadavor. Her miniscus is gone. He said she is already showing signs of arthritis and if she keeps up sports with pounding of the knees, she will look at a total knee replacement in her thirties. So he is recommending swimming and bike riding as her form of exercise. It's a good thing she is out of school but it is looking like no Marines and we decided to let him tell her that on Tuesday.

I am bonding with my machine today for next weeks class and doing laundry.

Sounds like a busy day for us all. I hope you have a great day.

Hugs,

SuzyQue
July 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM
With my teen gone for the weekend and housework caught up, I am planning on sewing and quilting most of the day. Date night tonight......favorite Italian restaurant! What a lovely day planned......now to see if it all happens!

sewbizzy
July 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wow, sounds like everyone has their Saturday planned...I think I may go with the flow today...still recovering somewhat from the gds stay...whew to be young again!!!
I started sewing some paper piecing hexies last night---kind of fun...after the first few, my dh says you will only need to make about 300 or 400 more---I don't know what I will do with them yet...
Also still sewing on denims for children---Steelers, Pirates, Pitt, Penn State, and WVU for the shop...I sold 2 children's Steeler jackets and an adult tee yesterday there...been putting things in shops here for a lot of years...used to put them in 3 shops, but downsized to just 1 now...
I'm bizzy now trying to do some quilting which I always wanted to do, but never had the time...and I LOVE IT!!!
Prayers for Aurora, CO...
Have a good day everyone...

auntiemern
July 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Sounds like everyone has their day all planned out, even if your just winging it. I will be watching the DGK's at daughters for biggest part of the day, so not playing on my new machine til tonight. Wishing every one a Blessed day. Prayers for all who need them and those that don't know they do. Extra prayers for the people in CO.

toggpine
July 21st, 2012, 11:08 PM
I had planned on some time in the sewing room today. We finally have the kitchen all put back together after the water leak and subsequent re-flooring project.
Instead, I received a frantic call from a neighbor. One of her goats was having a hard time giving birth. It seemed as if the kids were already dead and the momma couldn't get the job done. Since I have 25 years worth of kidding/lambing experience she thought she'd see if I could help before they made the expensive trip to the veterinarian for a C-section.
That poor goat. Those kids had been dead in there for a few days and the goat was just now trying to deliver them. It was pretty gross, and the neighbor lady was pretty upset. I managed to get the head and leg delivered of one of the kids after about an hour, but that was about all we were going to get. Something was not right in there.
She ended up by taking the doe to the vet. He opened her up for the c-section and found that one of the hooves had perforated her uterus high up in the abdomen. Apparently, once the kids had died, the body had begun to try to hasten the labor. The uterus had begun to contract to expel the kids like in a normal kidding, but without the help of the kids moving around to get into delivery position, one of the hooves had been pushed through a weak spot in the uterine wall. At that point the doe was on her way to peritonitis and a long, painful death. The neighbor ended up putting her to sleep.
Meanwhile, thinking she would be bringing home a girl with a big row of stitches along her belly, I stayed and cleaned out the stall she had been in. It needed to be mucked out, disinfected, and re-bedded. While she ended up not bringing her home, at least now my poor neighbor doesn't have to go out and face doing that task. After a day like this, it makes me all the more thankful they don't happen very often, and most births on the farm are pretty happy affairs.
I certainly hope that you all had much more pleasant Saturday events! I have missed visiting with you all as regularly, but I have been peeking in and trying to keep up. One more big training event next weekend, and things will lighten up a bit.
After chores tonight, and hugging all of my own four-legged kids, I think I'll squeeze in an hour in the sewing room.
Cathy

EsGrandma
July 21st, 2012, 11:57 PM
Cathy - your actions saved your neighbor more heartache and grief - you are indeed a blessing. so good to hear of kind caring actions - especially today. Linda

toggpine
July 22nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
Linda,
How are things in your community tonight? You all are in our thoughts and prayers. That was just so senseless.
Hugs, C