PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a "first"--20 years ago!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 20th, 2012, 04:33 PM
It was 1992. Vendors were just beginning to offer their products to be purchased online. I remember being awake at 2 in the morning and finding the sewing supply vendor, Clotilde, which was beginning with their online presence. I was cruising through the offerings, finding many things that a seamstress would find useful. I clicked and clicked and before you knew it, I had quite a long list of things of my hearts desire. Then I clicked the magic button that asked for my credit card number, and voila, I had shopped at it was 2 in the morning. I remember thinking then, "Boy, this is a dangerous thing!"

Was I ever right! Rivermom reminded me this in her post about her jelly roll boat design--she said, fabric, late nights and credit cards, very dangerous! I agree!

janluna
July 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I agree with both of you!

RFREE
July 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Right there with ya.I got up at 3 yesterday morning and darn! Wouldn't you know it Connecting threads sent me a sale e-mail and I was in the mood so ...You guessed it.I am $127 in the hole.I'm gonna sew me a fabric latter and climb out of it as soon as I buy more fabric(she sais with a smirk on her face) ha ha ha ha
VERY VERY DANGEROUS COMBO for sure!!!!

Cathy F
July 20th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Gotta agree with you Jean, where can you shop at all hours, not worry about the weather, and wear your PJ'S!!? :)

rebeccas-sewing
July 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Here's a solution. Move out of the country and try to get your credit card company to send you your new card! Wow. My card as a zero balance. It hasn't had a zero balance since the day I got my first card in the mail!!! Hahaha! I've been waiting for over 2 months and I still don't have it. Mystery!

Blondie
July 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM

This is so funny but oh so true. I cut my cards up a long time ago. Truly. Now if it ain't in my acct, it ain't in my mailbox. Sigh. I miss the days when I could just impulse buy.
Connecting Threads, MSQC and a few other sites are my nemesis. another sigh.

It was 1992. Vendors were just beginning to offer their products to be purchased online. I remember being awake at 2 in the morning and finding the sewing supply vendor, Clotilde, which was beginning with their online presence. I was cruising through the offerings, finding many things that a seamstress would find useful. I clicked and clicked and before you knew it, I had quite a long list of things of my hearts desire. Then I clicked the magic button that asked for my credit card number, and voila, I had shopped at it was 2 in the morning. I remember thinking then, "Boy, this is a dangerous thing!"

Was I ever right! Rivermom reminded me this in her post about her jelly roll boat design--she said, fabric, late nights and credit cards, very dangerous! I agree!

NanaB
July 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I think 'home shopping' in general is dangerous. And to think--it all started with that little Avon book!!!!

Blondie
July 20th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I think 'home shopping' in general is dangerous. And to think--it all started with that little Avon book!!!!

Now, that's funny! Hey NanaB, are you going to do the quilt rally this weekend? Lyncburg, Roanoke, Martinsville, Wytheville? I had plans to go but wah wah wah. Too much else. happening for me to be able to go.

NanaB
July 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Now, that's funny! Hey NanaB, are you going to do the quilt rally this weekend? Lyncburg, Roanoke, Martinsville, Wytheville? I had plans to go but wah wah wah. Too much else. happening for me to be able to go.

Well, since I didn't know anything about it, AND since I received a package Wednesday from M* that cost $105, I guess I'd better keep myself at home. SHHHH! Don't tell my husband!!!!!

madampolo
July 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM
When you live 55 to 60 miles from the nearest store, you shop on line. The UPS and Fed Ex drivers get to know you well! It was close to 20 years ago I sat up watching a shopping channel when a serger came on, and I bought it. When it came, I took one look and said it was too complicated. I have just recently learned to thread it and have made practice seams, so I am no longer afraid.

Blondie
July 20th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Well, since I didn't know anything about it, AND since I received a package Wednesday from M* that cost $105, I guess I'd better keep myself at home. SHHHH! Don't tell my husband!!!!!

I am going to send you info for this one. They have them at least once a year; sometimes twice a year. It's a nice road trip and really not far considering you are close enough to start in Wytheville and head down to Blacksburg, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Martinsville - I love the shop in Wytheville area. Loads of stuff, priced right. Sending you a PM

Blondie

Bubby
July 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I live in a shopping deprived area so I spend lots of time and $$$ shopping online...thank God for it!! I love having my purchases dropped off at my front door! :)

MRoy
July 20th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Shopping from home in my PJs with my coffee is just so much more convenient...especially when you live in the country. But, like Blondie, I don't use credit. I use my debit card so the charge comes out of my checking account instantly with a click of the mouse. It makes me think a lot harder about whether I really need or really, really want the item before I buy it.

EnumclawGramma
July 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I've been an online shopping addict since that day 20+ years ago when my son said those six little words to me that changed my life: "Mom, you should check out Ebay". Back then it was vintage linens. My love for textiles turned into quilting shortly after but only recently have I discovered all the wonderful quilt fabric sites! Oh my! But my hard and fast rule is DEBIT ONLY. If I can't do that, I don't need it! Fortunately I have a VERY understanding man who totally supports my addiction.

buckeyequilter
July 20th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I have to drive 30 miles just to get a loaf of bread. Since I work in town I make stops on my way home to pick up bread, milk or whatever we need. There is one quilt shop in the town but I don't care for the people that run it. I have found a nice quilt shop that is 15 minutes from me and I go there sometimes and I do a lot of on-line shopping too.

I also only use debit - I have my own personal checking account that I deposit some money in and I use that - if I run out of money I don't buy anymore until I get paid again. This is why I look for the best deals I can find on-line. After work I went to JoAnn's and for $73 I got 7 yards of fabric, a wooden holder for my rulers, a 6 x 12 ruler and a king size batting.

We do have a credit card but it's for emergencies so I don't use that for my hobbies.

K. McEuen
July 20th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Well, I don't have a debit card because I tend to go off and leave them or my money in the ATMs and then the machine is jammed up for everyone else. I use my credit card for online purchases, but my balance is paid off the end of each month. I never carry over or pay interest, so it is more like using a debit card. Plus I get cash back when I use my card so that adds up to more of a discount.

janluna
July 21st, 2012, 12:53 AM
I do the same thing Karen. We both carry a card in case of an emergency on the road. And we tell each other when and if we used the card for anything. And it is paid off every month so we don't pay interest. Did you know, if you have more than one credit card account, your credit rating is affected? We had companies sending cards that we didn't ask for and we would cut them up and not call the number to get them activated. Come to find out, they were still activated by the company that sent them. Our credit rating started going down, so we called the card we use and asked why, since we paid any balance that was there. They told us, you have several cards. We said, no we don't. They said yes you do. Then they told us if you had more than one card, even if you didn't use them, it affected your rating. So we called all the companies after they told us who they were with, and canceled all of them. We also told them to never activate any card for us unless we requested it in writing. End of problem. Credit rating went up. Now we hear on the news they will be charging us a fee every time you use a card. Our card company isn't doing that for now but that may change in the future. They get you anyway they can. Hugs, Jan L.

auntiemern
July 21st, 2012, 12:58 AM
Debit only!!! But oh how I do love on line shopping. I try to keep my purchases limited, but sometimes temptation is just to great. About E-bay. Was total e-bay junkie. I dressed all of my grand kids off e-bay. My oldest DGD could only wear wide shoes when she was little and I could get them brand new and cheaper on e-bay. But then I also sold all the stuff I bought when they would outgrow it. Got more return than yard selling. My fave time to shop on line is Christmas. No crowds, no lines, no people with pissy attitudes. I do actually go out for some things, but when you can get it sent to your door or site to store, ya just gotta do it. Beats driving all over looking for something that everyone is out of. Toys R Us gets a lot of online business from me at holiday time. :)

Donna F
July 21st, 2012, 03:08 AM
Hey Blondie, send me that too. My in/laws live in Bedford, maybe next year I can plan a "visit" hehe around that time. We are thinking about moving there in a year or so anyway.

I have a funny story about shopping and credit cards. I used to live beside an older lady and she was addicted to HSN and all those. She would have packages delivered then take them to her attic unopened and leave them there. Soon she had a full attic. So she called the cable company and had them put a special block on any shopping channel, which they did the day after he call. Then....she got on the internet! Keep in mind this lady was worth a couple of million $$$, lived in a very small 2 bedroom house, alone. After about a month of packages being delivered from the internet she decided to cut the internet service off, give away her computer & take the block off her shopping channels. The internet cost her more $$ then the shopping channels, much more variety! She did find a way to supplement her retirement checks....she now shops for those folks that work all day and has them delivered to her house, divides up the goodies she orders and gets paid by those folks because they got a good deal. I think they call that a personal shopper lol. It's crazy insane!! Wish I could make a living doing that, get the rush of buying and getting paid! Oh and as for the attic packages, she began opening up the boxes once and decided it was too much work so she left it as it was.

Blondie
July 21st, 2012, 05:38 AM
will do, Donna