PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in Colorado Theatre

Genny
July 20th, 2012, 11:28 AM
There was a horrible shooting in Aurora Colorado at a movie theatre. At last count the TV said there was 12 dead and over 50 wounded. A man came in dressed in all black and just started shooting at everyone.

Please send prayers to these innocent people and all their loved ones.

buckeyequilter
July 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
It is a terrible tragedy. That was the first thing I heard on the news when I woke up this morning. My prayers and thoughts are with everyone affected by this.

EsGrandma
July 20th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I can't believe this - so terrible! This happened about 3 miles from our home and we're waiting to see if any of the youth from our church were there.
Please pray for all of these people.

sewbizzy
July 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Prayers going out to all affected by this terrible tragedy!!!

HandsOffItsMine
July 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Horrible tragedy! We have friends from Fluor who live in Aurora because of the Rail Project. Don hasn't been able to get a hold of the three families. Prayers for all families in Aurora and surrounding areas.

bobw103
July 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Keeping all of the people affected in my thoughts-a horrible tragedy.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM
The whole nation is praying and wondering why someone would do something like this. I certainly hope for you who live nearby and have friends and neighbors who may have been involved that God's healing presence is in your midst in this terrible time. Let's also pray that those who have survived being wounded can be healed and that there are no more deaths. There are already way too many.

Jess1377
July 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
This is one of those times we are not likely to forget thats for sure. My heart and my prayers go out to all people who were affected. This just does not make sense. Just heard on the newsthat the guy who did it was studying neuroscience and getting into the phd program for it. The police are still in the process of getting into his apt that is boobytrapped. SMH... I dont get it... no one does. I wish there were stricter laws on weapons too. No body should have their hands on such weapons except people who are trained and then licensed for them. Sure this won't affect the NRA's point of view... nothing does. :icon_sniff:

toggpine
July 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Jess,
When you are dealing with some one this messed up in the head, the weapon isn't the problem. If he couldn't get a gun, he would have made a bomb or something else and still done this horrible thing with possibly even greater numbers of casualties. (It is actually easier to get the components for a bomb than a gun.) His intent was to cause death, destruction, misery, and pain. Thankfully he has been caught. I'd like to think he will be properly punished, but I don't think there are many dungeons left in operation.

Prayers of healing for the families affected and the community are being sent from our home and our community.

buckeyequilter
July 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
The criminals are always going to have weapons. These are dangerous times and I say arm yourselves...get a permit and carry a gun, you may be the one that saves an innocent life. To most people I probably just look like the little old lady out shopping....but you can bet I'm packin' heat.

pdjewelrylady
July 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I so agree this is a horrible tragedy! and i pray for the families of the lost ones.

But lets look at it carefully my friends - have you ever watched a batman movie?? bad guys all dressed up in costumes break into large crowds of people gunning down everyone in their path?? Just to be apprehended by the caped crusader?!? Isn't that exactly what the movie goers last night were expecting and so excited to watch on the big screen? Isnt that what makes them want to go see it???? Why do people want to watch these type of movies dipicting so much violence? would the shooter have come up with this horrible idea on his own?? Why should any of us be wondering why would anyone do something like that when it has become so a part of the world we all live in. violence, sex, cursing and swearing and abusive behavior is everywhere. books, movies, televison, computers, magazines, billboards, everywhere!

I choose to stand up against it and not look the other way. I choose not to watch or participate or let it grow within me.

pdjewelrylady
July 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
The criminals are always going to have weapons. These are dangerous times and I say arm yourselves...get a permit and carry a gun, you may be the one that saves an innocent life. To most people I probably just look like the little old lady out shopping....but you can bet I'm packin' heat.
a close friend of ours felt the same way - he owned a gun and a permit and carried it always. 2 years ago he and his family were out shopping. when the robbers came in - he pulled it out - he and his family were shot and killed first.

auntiemern
July 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM
This is just horrific. What is wrong with someone that would make them do something so senseless. Prayers going out for the families of the victims, the community, and the nation as a whole. Such tragedies should never happen.

Jess1377
July 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I hear you Tog and Shirley, thats not a bad idea. My husband and I have discussed that fact exactly ~ to be able to save my life, child's life or another human being in danger that maybe having a weapon in my custody at the time being beneficial at that moment~ then that is a good thing~ as long as I am not in panic mode. My sentiment is just to make it harder to obtain such strong weapons. But you know what I was thinking a little after I wrote what I did was that this guy probably didnt have a history and had no problem getting these weapons. I guess that was just plain needless to say. I think my thought process goes automatically to technicalities (sp?)when a crime occurs because I have 6 police officers in my direct family one being my dad and so I definitley got an earful growing up about all sorts of situations and possibilities.

Ultimately after thinking about it, I agree, that was needless to really say or bring up. This is truly a unique tragic event. My only major thoughts now are for the family's and community there in Colorado. This is so hard to really make sense of.

CrazyMtnLady
July 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM

I agree whole heartedly with you Shirley. They can put all kinds of regulations on guns but the criminals will find a way to get them. I need to take the course and renew my Concealed Carry Permit for Missouri, but my DH is always packin' and would not flinch at protecting me or anyone else. I always carry when I am outside on my property and will carry wherever I go once I get my permit for Missouri.

This young man was disturbed and I am sure he will use the "insanity" plea. But if his home is booby-trapped then it was premeditated and I wouldn't think that defense would fly.

Prayers for all those involved.

buckeyequilter
July 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
a close friend of ours felt the same way - he owned a gun and a permit and carried it always. 2 years ago he and his family were out shopping. when the robbers came in - he pulled it out - he and his family were shot and killed first.

Robbers? How many were there?

A guy in my concealed carry class said he and a friend were at restaurant late one night and some guys in black coats came in and opened their coats and had several guns....well the guy from the cc class had a gun but didn't even let them know and didn't get it out because he knew if he did things may have gotten out of hand real quick.

BellasQuilts
July 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Great, now they will try to get more gun control laws. It's awful what happened to those poor people.

madampolo
July 20th, 2012, 03:36 PM
This gunman was working on his PHD in neuroscience, but was going to drop out. What would make a young man with a great future do such a horrible thing. There are many families grieving today. How sad. They were just watching a movie.

janluna
July 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Praying for the victims and families, and community. This is so senseless. I hope they put him away forever. Does Colorado have the death penalty? In this case, I hope so. Jan L.

Sandy Navas
July 20th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Sending prayers. Many times brilliant people have psychological problems - because they have been labeled geeks or nerds or who knows throughout their lives. Some deal with it and learn to control their feelings. Others will lash out when it becomes unbearable. While working in a Student Health Service many years ago we had a female student who was way over the top brilliant. She carried 24 to 30 hours a semester and mastered them all. Most of the time she was as normal as you could imagine but when things got bad for her she turned into Spock . . . and even wanted plastic surgery to reform her ears. People are our own worst enemies.

denisecolli
July 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Thoughts and prayers for all those involved and their families.

Blondie
July 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I was up this morning at 4 am and this was the first news I heard. It took a few minutes to register what the tv people were speaking of. I asked hubs, is this the anniversary of Columbine? No. Is there another bombing in Israel? No. Just a demented person, seeking 15 minutes of fame, I guess. It is beyond description what the people in this country are feeling, much less the families touched by this tragedy. I don't know what the laws are in CO. I don't see how he can claim insanity. Very well planned and followed through. He may be NUTS but he is NOT insane. I doubt he will last long in prison. As far as gun laws, he obtained them legally, did not have a permit for a concealed weapon - I agree that if a person has the intent, anything can become a weapon. I for one believe in our right to bear arms ~ Today as much as it was in the time of our founding fathers. I figure there will be a big hullabaloo about gun control again. Look to the families of those murdered at Columbine. The survivors and their families realized it wasn't about gun control at all.
Prayers for the community. My heart is so saddened by all of this. Rev. 22:20

K. McEuen
July 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
After something like this there is always a cry for better gun control. The bad thing is, the people that would follow any new control laws aren't the ones we have to worry about carrying guns.

Rhonda D. Matzker
July 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM
Prayers going for all those wounded and to the loved ones of those who were taken from their families. All I can say is this coward (man) was seriously off of his nut about a mile or more because he had booby trapped his apartment so bad that the building was evacuated and the police and bomb squad had to try to determine how to disarm them (there were many) before going in. He had enough explosives he could have blown his building as well as neighboring buildings away.

auntiemern
July 21st, 2012, 01:26 AM
I would not hesitate for a second if someone hurt my DD or one of my DGK's with violence. I could blow them away and not think twice about it. Some of you may know, but I was put in that exact position, with my GS. But at the time, my DD and GS needed me more than I needed to kill the scumbag that hurt my baby. The safest place our abuser could be, is in prison. This guy is not insane, the entire thing was pre meditated. Those of you who wish can blame it on violence in movies, or tv. That has nothing to do with it. There has always been violence in movies and on tv. This guy had an agenda for what ever reason and acted on it. He may very well be a psychopath, but that doesn't make him criminally insane. Here they are in CO, hours after the incident and they still have not been able to secure his appt. Whether the good people have the right to carry or not, nothing is going to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals. Just because a person watches a violent movie, does not make them turn in to a gun wielding lunatic. It goes much deeper than that. His own mother wasn't even surprised, she was expecting something like this to happen. Now what does that tell you? Sounds to me like he should have been institutionalized a long time ago. Kids need to be taught right from wrong, and if they don't get it, then it should fall on the parents for not getting them the help they obviously needed at an early age. Psychopathy begins at an early age. It does not happen over night. So don't blame it on the violence or language we hear and see every day. The rest of us are fine, and would never dream of doing what this man did. He was sick and his parents knew it, and let him loose on the entire world. Did they try to get him help? I don't know, but was sickened when the mom said she wasn't surprised.

Winniesfriend
July 21st, 2012, 02:51 AM
Very sad for every one involved, it was headline news this morning in South Australia, very tragic, prayers for all affected.