PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday, it's a summer day, I have to work . . .

Blondie
July 20th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Good Morning folksies!

Happy Friday to you! We had some thunder storms overnite; knocked the power off a few times but i think that is about all- didn't sound like damaging wind; just some light show and thunder. When we get storms like this with the electric blinking I always think of squirrels doing the cha cha cha or jump roping on the lines.

Waking up this morning to the horrible news of a mass shooting in Co - what in the world is the matter with people? Prayers for that community.

Last evening after work and dinner, Sis and I went down to Mom's to work in her yard again. We have some big plans to redo the look of her front entrance. We are kinda being like the senior and economically challenged version of yard crashers. LOL. By senior I mean, with just the two of us sisters and with at least me being considered a "senior", it is going to take more than a 30 minute episode to get things accomplished. We have been digging around her out buildings, trying to use what she already has but long forgotten. Mom has the best yard or property layout of any of us on the land. They've lived there over 40 years and my Daddy never liked any landscaping other than an occasional tree or bird feeder - we always called him Ranger Mel as he wanted nothing in his way while he mowed. Oh, he would be spitting nails at what we have in mind. Not anything too much or fancy at all. Just different. First thing in order was to use some of her old metal yard chairs that are older than I am. She had recently painted them a green color and had them under a tree doing nothing. I am thinking some decorative stuff on them in the future but for now, we moved those onto the front porch and potted up some planters. Huzzah, instant makeover. Mom likes what she sees so far. I really should be taking some before and after pictures.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Think of being a kid, making mud pies, picking dandies, going barefoot and

Smile

Jean Sewing Machine
July 20th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Heard the whole east coast is getting rain. We are dry as a bone here. A rain dropping cloud was in our sight the other day, but it whithered and died before it reached my neighborhood.

Shootings at a movie theatre--what's the crazy world coming to?

Woke up really early because I was snoozing early last evening. A day with the grandkids at the pool always does me in. But we had an exceptionally good day together, no sibling spats! Used my wake up time to fussy cut some cute doggy fabric dressed in cowboy hats, and then quilted a sandwiched Jelly Roll Race quilt I put together before my trip and doing three quick JRR quilts for others.

Have a great day!

rebeccas-sewing
July 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Please take pictures, Blondie! I'm a gardener in my yard at home! I miss it living here in the flat. Some pictures would be lovely so I can vicariously live through you and sis's adentures in Mom's yard. Drink lots of water!!! Sunscreen. You know the drill!

MRoy
July 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Good Morning...Blondie, I think I'm related to Ranger Mel. My landscaping stops with plants and flowers on the front porch. We had thunderstorms last night and it's thundering again this morning. Seems like the rain we needed so badly earlier is trying to come all at once...but I'm not complaining!

RFREE
July 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Good morning everybody! I am sitting here on my back porch listening to the birds singing and the roosters crowing. We also got a shower last night.I didn't even know it was going to rain. It would take months to get us out of this drought. You should take and of course post your before and after pictures Blondie.I like doing that. Everyone thinks I am nuts when I am doing it but they sure like to look at the pictures when it is all said and done.We survived the LOST RIVER CAVE in Bowling Green Ky. If you guys haven't been there you should stop if you are in the area. It is pretty interesting and a quick cool tour. I never knew it was there.Go figure.A boat ride into an underground cave?Pretty cool. Might try and get on the ol long arm today. I am so impatient it is hard for me to go with the flow.No more practice that I have had I need to just go with the flow and see what happens. What is wrong with people and all these shootings and killings? So tragic and so scensless if you ask me. Yall have a wonderful Friday.
Hugs and prayers where needed.
Rhonda

aliaslaceygreen
July 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Good Friday to you all!! I hope that everyone is staying cool!! I don't know WHY I forget to come here in the AM to check in...but then things get moving and there you have it....

A bit of rain yesterday, but still stupid hot weather....and what really stinks is at work, it was 82 INSIDE.....Can't work hard like that.... sigh...
But, I did get a baby quilt finished the other day, and about 4 more started yesterday, so that is good news...The one finished is for the baby due today. I am EARLY!!!

Monique
July 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Good morning everyone. ANOTHER dry day. It is getting pretty dangerous around here. Water levels are sooo low. Crops are drying up and no rain in site until next week, POSSIBLY. Yikes.

I put a good day in yesterday cleaning out a closet to make room for more stuff. I managed to get the cedar chest out of the sewing room and into this closet. NOW, more organizing to be done in the sewing room. Man, do we collect stuff or what! I had been hanging on to some linens that belonged to my mom. Now was the time to start purging. I did find OLD knitting patterns and passed those on to a knitter. Found old recipes and passed those on to a friend who loves to cook. I felt good about letting go of some of those things.

So today, I will continue while the spirit moves me.

Have a great day everyone.

quiltingtrish
July 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Happy Friday everyone~
Raining here - saves me lots of gas by not having to drive 45 minutes one way to water Dad's garden.
I love to see garden makeovers. I am always sitting things inside my flower beds, especially low-priced or free things I find in yard sales or by the curbside. Not too much sitting in the actual grass as there are enough obstacles in Dad's yard I have to move around to mow, so I tuck alot of little things in here and there amongst the flowers. There is a large standing up turtle for Odie, a small ceramic duck with a hat on her head made from a neighbor lady that has passed away, an old wagon on it's last wheels - in fact it is missing a wheel or two - sitting on it's side with flowers coming out of it, a small childs wooden chair with flowers on top, stepping stones the kids made in years past, an old iron gate, and a small wooden bridge the kitties like to sit on to look out over the flower heads thinking noone can see them.

Today is Katie's knee surgery. Think I will take either an embroidery project or work on my fabric rug. I have no idea how long this will take, I can't remember the last one 2 years ago. She retore her ACL so I imagine it will be a few hours. I really need to get the backgrounds made up for my Cathedral Windows quilt so that can be taken along sometime. I think I have decided to make all the windows scrappy from past projects, kids clothes, etc.

Off to get ready for the day. Prayers to those that need them and those that don't know they need them.

Hugs,

cherokeerose
July 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Good Friday Morning.. We also got a little rain last night. Our garden is gone, Mr. D mowed everything down yesterday except a few tomato's, an one watermelon vine. First year I can remember that he has had a garden that didn't produce more than 10 people could eat.

The only sewing I will be able to do for the new few days is a couple more ring bearer pillows - so my FDIL can pick which one she wants. I have put of doing them I am not sure why, but anyway they are coming up this weekend, so I have to have them done today. Love seeing my son, but can't wait for Grandmama time.. my 5 year old GD will also be coming today,, not sure if she will leave Sunday when my DS does or if she will stay a few more days with Grandma.

CrazyMtnLady
July 20th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Good Morning everyone. Was not able to get on here but for a few minutes yesterday.
So glad our company has gone! It was nice to meet them and we had a nice visit and cook-out, but they are not exactly the type of people I would choose to hang out with for more than a few hours! Of course DH got along great with the guy because they both enjoy black powder guns and shooting at targets. But they are VERY VERY prejudice, bigoted people and I am not. The way they talked about other races and cultures was disturbing to me, but I held my tongue and was glad when they were gone.

We got to watch a wonderful lightening show last night off in the distant east, but we didn't get any rain. :( We had a reading yesterday of 107*F and it was only suppose to be in the 90s. They are calling for temperatures in the 100s all next week with no sign of rain. They are saying that Missouri is a prime spot for forest fires. I sure am watching the areas around me and have my garden hose hooked up. I live with trees all around me. We have 30 acres ourselves with everyone on my road having acres and acres of trees.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Hugs and prayers all around.

middlesis1966
July 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Blondie you sure are gonna have to post pics. I know in our area the big thing is to take old glasswares and make them into garden art. Also really big is metal can flowers. All of it is so cool. I love all of it! My little garden are was over run by weeds last year, so this year I'm letting it rest and I hope that the black plastic will choke out most of the weeds by next spring. My neighbors aren't digging the fact that I let the milkweed grow though. I don't care it's my yard! Plus the monarchs are losing so much to chemicals that its killing them off because they only lay their eggs on them, so this is my little way of helping them. Hubs even got upset with me when I sprinkled the seeds last fall. Such as life! How would he like it if his habitat was slowly being overtaken. Ok I better stop before I get outa control. I just love the monarchs they are so beautiful!

Madeforyouinma11
July 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Happy Friday! We had severe thunderstorms with lots of lightning and hail on Wednesday. It was really a crazy storm. It's supposed to rain again today but it hasn't started yet, it's just very dreary outside. I made a very simple baby quilt top on Wednesday, finished a crocheted baby blanket yesterday and also started another quilt top and another crocheted blanket. I'm trying to get a lot of different things put together for October. I might get a table at a local craft fair. I've never done anything like that before, mainly because I never had the time. I hope to have a good variety of my crafts together by then.
Well, I'm off to try and finish cleaning and organizing my sewing/craft room. I hope everyone has a great day and I'll pray for the sky's to open up for those in desperate need of the rain!

sewbizzy
July 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Good day everyone...a little late getting on here today...dh just left to take home 2 gds that ended up spending the night...we had some sewing lessons yesterday and they did fine...it was the first time for both on a sewing machine...they can't wait to do it again...we just made some sachets from sewing strips together...and then they played with all the stitches on one machine..those gc can wear you out...they are so special!!!
Blondie, my dh always had that nothing in the yard to mow around mentality...he said it came from cutting his grandparents yard when he was young...they had all kinds of decorations his gf made out of wood...and it took forever to move them to cut the grass...
I am going to do a little stitching today...still have some UFOs to finish...
Blessings to you all!!!

auntiemern
July 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
So sad about the shootings. I do believe our world is going to hell in a hand basket. Full of crazies. Bondie, you really should do before and after pics. Donna, you are stronger than me. I don't think I could have kept my oversize mouth shut to those people. Any one that knows me also knows I do NOT know how to keep it shut, when something offends me. Finally got my patriotic quilt finished, will be posting pics in a few. Don't know how much more I am going to be able to do on my sewing machine, it is making a whiny squeeky noise. Not gonna spend much $ on a machine that is 10yrs old and didn't cost much to begin with. May have to break down and buy a new one. Not gonna spend much on one though. Any hoo, have a blessed, and fabric filled day. Prayers for those that need them, and those that don't know they do.

buckeyequilter
July 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Good afternoon....

My week is winding down (slowly)...come on week-end! I'm going after work to get batting for my brother's quilt and fabric for another quilt. Don't know what else I might find that I need. I have a handful of coupons from JoAnn's to use :)

When I get home from shopping...I think I'm going to start moving my stuff to my new studio (yes, I think I'll call it a studio) - this one is attached to the house but has an external entrance.

There are 4 events going on tomorrow that we've been invited to....DH wants to go to his friends birthday bash (it's an outdoor, all-day thing). I think I'd like to go to the family reunion. So I guess we'll just see what tomorrow brings.

Prayers and hugs to all. Have a wonderful day!

janluna
July 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Howdy everyone! Prayers are being said for victims and families in Co. Senseless!!! The shooter has to be nuts.
Trish, I'm praying for Katie's surgery to be successful, and for your nerves. My kids are all grown and in their 30's and 40's and I still worry about them. Like my Gramie said, "Once a Mother, always a Mother. You just keep right on worrying for them if they have illness or injury. And/Or problems." I had to add," And now we have Grandchildren to worry over." I just keep putting them in front of the Lord.
Donna, I would have quietly said, please refrain from talking about people of other ethnic cultures in a derogatory way in my home. Thank you. And then changed the subject. It works for me.
Paula, GOOD FOR YOU! I agree about the Monarchs. We have had a few run-ins with bears in our area. People complain about all the wildlife, and wonder why they are in our yards. I tell them, "We took their habitats and built houses on them. They are just looking for food." We have had quite a few deer in our yard eating grass and plants and looking for water. New York State was just declared a drought state. Nothing is green, just brown and dried up.
Blondie, yes, pictures please!
I had to go get shots in my back today. Ouch. The Doc is doing trigger point injections, deep massage, and I have to do some new exercises. Deep Massage sounds wonderful but it is painful. Oh well, "No pain, No gain" I guess. It's my own private torture sessions. I just wish it would start feeling better. Today he also snapped my neck. I been getting headaches and a stiff neck. Makes it harder to drive when you have to look over your shoulder, when you are changing lanes or getting out of a parking spot. Ouch! Oh well, I'll live, I always do!
Have a good day people, prayers for Co. and all who need them here in my quilting family. Love you all, Hugs, Jan L.

lilmouse
July 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I will be keeping everyone in prayer today....so much senseless violence...we hear sirens here all the time! Jan, will keep you in special prayer for pain relief....those shots had to hurt..:(....years ago my back knotted all up and I had to get several shots daily for over a week...they are painful but can sometimes help. Hope everyone has a productive day and keep safe!

Blondie
July 20th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hi Folksies

Just getting in from work; dinner will be quick sammiches tonite. I rarely "cook" on Fridays. Hubs has been home most of the day and I half way expected him to have something shaking in the kitchen. Yes, I do dream big sometimes.
I will be taking some pics. I know it will be slow going but I love playing around with flowers and dirt. Sis and I get this from my quilting granny. Mom is delighted since she does not have a green thumb; it is also good for her mentally because she is always thinking she is a big burden to us - I told her I have plenty of weeding she can sit and do and keep us company. Sounds like a plan to me. Then she told me she should have purchased a little sign she saw at a store recently. She said it suited me to a "t". It said "I'm not bossy ~ I just know what you should do" . . . or something like that. Mom said, Your daddy would have said that;s my girl, buy it for her. LOL. Daddy always did tell me I was bossy. more giggles!

Work today was a mixed bag of usual clients and because I was in a spunky mood, I talked two of them into a different 'do. Oh joy! They liked the look as well. Hope they do until next week. If not, I KNOW I will be hearing about it.

Off to make some steakum wrap roll ups. Fresh onion and tomatoes on it, steak ums, cheese - easy and oh so yummy. Since hubs is off bread, I generally get some Joseph's lavash flat bread. 4 carbs a slice - which makes a huge roll up; more than I can eat and hubs has lost enough that he is eating less.

Blessings to all!

Ginny B
July 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Good evening everyone. And Happy Friday to all. It was rainy here today and very cool. What a change from a couple days ago. I was trying to remember when the last real "rainy" day (not just some showers and clouds) was and I can't think how far back it was. I enjoyed it and so did all my flowers and veggies.

Ginny B