PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast treat for Momma!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 08:28 AM
My kitty just brought in a breakfast treat for momma, furry, quite limp and somewhat bloody. Yuck! At 15, he can still hunt and catch voles. Wish he'd work on the things that are digging up my yard and leaving huge dirt piles all over!

Monique
July 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Is that a typo Jean? What are voles? One of the many reasons I don't have a cat!!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
They look like mice but have short stubby tails. We have lots of them down in Missouri.

kelliedi
July 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Jean I hate to be the barer of bad news but that is what is leaving mounds in the yard.....everyone thinks they are MOLES but VOLES are the ones working right now in the dry heat.... so I guess your fur baby did his job :lol:

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Good boy! Didn't think that little thing could dig that much dirt!

RFREE
July 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
My cat does the same thing.I sat here this morning and watched her catch a mouse,bring it to the driveway,toss it around playing with it,let it get away,catch it, then eat it.Cruel but it is what it is.Can't beat a good mouser!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 08:50 AM
My cat does the same thing.I sat here this morning and watched her catch a mouse,bring it to the driveway,toss it around playing with it,let it get away,catch it, then eat it.Cruel but it is what it is.Can't beat a good mouser!Cats are hilarious when they do that! I didn't see any of that, just a bloody carcass on my kitchen floor!

madampolo
July 19th, 2012, 09:10 AM
One day, I was sitting here in the kitchen at my computer and I heard a "squeek, squeek" like one of those squeeky cat or dog toys. I looked over and Steve, our big red tabby, had a live mouse in his mouth! He hadn't even bothered to kill it before bringing it in. Boy, was I quick to put him and his treasure outside! I didn't know what voles were either.

Sandy Navas
July 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Al pulls voles out of the pool just about every day. I don't think they are the ones who are leaving the large dirt piles in our yard though.

Genny
July 19th, 2012, 11:13 AM
They look like mice but have short stubby tails. We have lots of them down in Missouri.

We have them here in Iowa too, my daughters 2 cats use to catch them all the time and leave them by the front door, I guess as a gift to my daughter...lol...

Moles will also leave mounds of dirt where they come out, but they leave tunnels too...ask me how I know.........

Lisaau
July 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
aawww l looked on google images coz l didnt know what it was either and they are cute.....aaawwww

Divine Daisy
July 19th, 2012, 11:29 AM
we have voles in the UK too.......... lots of them on my kitchen floor in the mornings with their legs in the air. My old boy Ben (a cat of many issues, used to make the police dog who lived next door cry) used to eat everything except the gall bladder. You would find a neat row of gall bladders on the floor after a good hunting night.

bakermom
July 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM
My cat does the same thing.I sat here this morning and watched her catch a mouse,bring it to the driveway,toss it around playing with it,let it get away,catch it, then eat it.Cruel but it is what it is.Can't beat a good mouser!
Yeah, just don't get too close. My old kitty THREW her mouse at me one day. then looked at me like"why are you letting it get away!"

K. McEuen
July 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM
If you think you have moles in the yard you can unwrap some Wrigley's Spearmint gum and stick a piece at the entrance to their tunnel, where the mound of dirt is. They'll eat it and it kills them. Not sure if it works on voles, but it beats using poisons, especially with your cat around.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
We have them here in Iowa too, my daughters 2 cats use to catch them all the time and leave them by the front door, I guess as a gift to my daughter...lol...

Moles will also leave mounds of dirt where they come out, but they leave tunnels too...ask me how I know.........You can hardly walk across my yard because of all the tunnels, I know it is moles, not voles. I think they enjoy the fact that I have a decent and irrigated lawn, because the biggest night crawlers in the world live under my lawn. So glad that my hard earned money is spent keeping the moles well fed! I could be using that money to buy more fabric.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
we have voles in the UK too.......... lots of them on my kitchen floor in the mornings with their legs in the air. My old boy Ben (a cat of many issues, used to make the police dog who lived next door cry) used to eat everything except the gall bladder. You would find a neat row of gall bladders on the floor after a good hunting night.

An epicure of a cat, now that's a new one!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah, just don't get too close. My old kitty THREW her mouse at me one day. then looked at me like"why are you letting it get away!"

What and you didn't accept the gift as given? How thoughtless of you!

Mine has brought in many caught, but half killed things, birds, rabbits, lizards, frogs, lots of mice and voles, once a chipmunk, and let me chase that thing around the house for an hour to try to get it out! He is so considerate to share his toys with his mommy!

auntiemern
July 19th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I probably would have passed out. My step daughters cat used to bring 'goodies' in all the time. Got to say I do not miss those days.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2012, 07:06 PM
aawww l looked on google images coz l didnt know what it was either and they are cute.....aaawwww They are not cute dead on your kitchen floor!

Sandy Navas
July 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I am still trying to get over the gall bladders strung out on the floor and Big Ben making the police dog cry - images I am thoroughly enjoying.

My big Pete - the outdoor cat - loves to leave chipmunk noses lying around . . . just the nose.

MRoy
July 19th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Such interesting conversation! Jean, moles are working my yard up! They are really bad here this year, I think the mild winter left plenty of critters in the ground for them to eat. We sprayed for insects and it helped for awhile but since we've had rain the little diggers are back with a vengeance. I've killed a couple, but they seem to do all their tunneling while I'm at work so I can't catch them in action. Karen, I'll definitely try the gum trick on them.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 20th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Such interesting conversation! Jean, moles are working my yard up! They are really bad here this year, I think the mild winter left plenty of critters in the ground for them to eat. We sprayed for insects and it helped for awhile but since we've had rain the little diggers are back with a vengeance. I've killed a couple, but they seem to do all their tunneling while I'm at work so I can't catch them in action. Karen, I'll definitely try the gum trick on them.
I think I need a caSe of that gum!

KerriS
July 20th, 2012, 06:57 AM
He is so considerate to share his toys with his mommy!

Oh no, he doesn't want to share his toys with you.
He sees you as his child, brings you food, first dead food, then half-dead food and when he brings living food, he is trying to teach you how to hunt for yourself.

So in his eyes, you are old enough to take care for yourself, but if you always let the food get away, maybe he considers you al little clumsy :lol:

Jean Sewing Machine
July 20th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Oh no, he doesn't want to share his toys with you.
He sees you as his child, brings you food, first dead food, then half-dead food and when he brings living food, he is trying to teach you how to hunt for yourself.

So in his eyes, you are old enough to take care for yourself, but if you always let the food get away, maybe he considers you al little clumsy :lol:Yes, I am old enough to feed myself! I'm LOL over the biology lesson!

quilter.martha
July 20th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Our old kitty was great at bringing home her catches--both alive and dead. We've had live voles and one very alive chipmunk in the house. She was a great hunter--at age 17 1/2 she caught 2 (yes, 2) chipmunks in one morning! I couldn't believe my eyes.

My DH says voles (and moles) are after the grubs that are in the grass. Try some grub killer on your lawn and see if that helps with your vole problems.

CrazyMtnLady
July 20th, 2012, 09:21 AM
My cats, especially Ava are great "mousers". Ava also likes chipmunks, birds, rabbits, wood rats, moles and voles. The moles and voles the cats won't eat, but they like to catch and kill them. I guess moles and voles give off some foul toxin which the cats won't eat.
The critter that does the most damage to the yards around here is the Armadillo! They root around and tear up the ground every night.

janluna
July 21st, 2012, 12:05 AM
My cat brought field mice, baby rabbits, etc. The day he brought home a snake was the one that topped everything! It was still alive!! Thank goodness one of the kids saw him coming. I went out to stop Sam before he could bring it in the house. As soon as he saw me, he headed right for me. He meowed a greeting, like look what I brought you! And the snake got away. If Sam could have talked, he would have stood up and put his paws on his hips and said, Now look what you made me do!!!! He dashed into the tall grass and tried to find it. I was happy that he didn't.
My yard has huge piles of dirt and holes. As we were pulling into the driveway one day, there stood a groundhog(some people call them gophers) on his hind legs. That sucker was 2.5 feet tall!!! I am not kidding! I said, "Now I know where all those holes, dirt and tunnels came from." We also had a skunk that ate all my beautiful day lilies and moved in under my porch. It finally walked out in the road and got nailed by a car. I still haven't got rid of the groundhog. Since I was born on Groundhogs Day, I would feel like I killed my kin. LOL Oh well, we like watching him and he is great entertainment for my dog. Max lays on the porch and watches him like a hawk. The groundhog doesn't even run away anymore. He just glances at us once in a while to make sure we haven't gotten any closer. Now my soft hearted hubby, puts carrots next to the hole we have seen Phil use. He only does it in the winter. Phil is getting fat! And old! I'm surprised a fox or coyote hasn't gotten him. Too funny! I love all the wildlife we have in our yard. Hugs, Jan L.