PDA

View Full Version : Heat can be deadly!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Don't get too alarmed, while the heat many of us are experiencing can be miserable, nobody here died. EXCEPT MY CAR BATTERY!

Came home from my wonderful long weekend at my sister Terry's two beautiful places (Sisters and Manzanita, OR) on the red-eye, with no sleep, to a blazing hot St. Louis day. Got to my car that had been parked on the very expensive lot for 6 days and not a sound came out of it, automatic locks didn't work, I could barely get into it. Battery was deader than a doornail! The nice parking lot people sent an attendant with jumper cables to rescue me--the jumper cables were about 6" too short, then he go out a longer pair, and they were hooked up with a special connector to his truck battery, those didn't work.

Final rescue was from daughter #1, who came from work to get me and take me home, a wonderful trusting man at the car service garage, who GAVE me a brand new battery to get my car going, and my dear son-in-law who helped me install it. I will settle up with the guy at the garage tomorrow, but that's the kind a person he is, very trusting!

Car is in the garage, with brand new battery installed, and I got to take a nap this afternoon while waiting for my son-in-law to come home from work to help me.

Life is good.

I will post pictures of my trip and of the beautiful quilts, but I have to make every one of them smaller in file size, and that is going to take a while.

Want to see the men behind the quilts? They are very worthwhile seeing. If I were looking for a man, I know where I'd move, SISTERS, OR! There's some good looking guys behind those quilts! Oh, I am looking for a man, maybe have to consider that move in the future!

NanaB
July 17th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Sorry about your battery, but glad you had a wonderful time. Sisters, OR is on my bucket list of places to visit. Welcome home!!!

RFREE
July 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Welcome home Jean. There is nothing like your own bed after a long trip away is there? I had that happen to me a couple years ago.I went to look at a used bicicle buggy thingy for Holly to pull the dogs in and after I bought it I got in my jeep and there was nothing.Not even a cllickity click click.The woman took me to the local auto zone and he put it on for me and he had no tools,it took forever!!. I felt bad because they were supposed to go eat with friends that night.I made it worth his while and payed him good for doing that for me.It makes you feel good to know there are still honest, generous ,hard working people still around to help when you are in need. Glad you had a good time at your sisters.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 17th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Sorry about your battery, but glad you had a wonderful time. Sisters, OR is on my bucket list of places to visit. Welcome home!!!

I absolutely loved this quilt show, it was an "everyman's" show, lots of beautiful things, but not works of art that none of us could every aspire to create. I got lots of good ideas on how to quilt things on my longarm by being able to get up close and personal with the quilts. Also got to talk with a few of the quilt creators, who were standing by their quilts. That was neat!

There was a huge crowd there, and there were tour busses, don't know where they came from. I know you can get lodging in Bend, OR, or Redmond, they are close enough to drive to Sisters, but the town itself has limited lodging. Lucky for me, my sister has her own place about 8 miles out of town, we stayed there.

I hope you get to go to it some day, it is definitely worth while! They have a wonderful quilt shop in town called the "Stitching Post", plus a smaller one called "Little Buckaroos". Of course, I had to bring some beauty home with me! They also had a couple of quilt vendors who set up shop in other businesses for the day or in tents, got some mighty pretty things from them also. It was a wonderful experience.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 17th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Welcome home Jean. There is nothing like your own bed after a long trip away is there? I had that happen to me a couple years ago.I went to look at a used bicicle buggy thingy for Holly to pull the dogs in and after I bought it I got in my jeep and there was nothing.Not even a cllickity click click.The woman took me to the local auto zone and he put it on for me and he had no tools,it took forever!!. I felt bad because they were supposed to go eat with friends that night.I made it worth his while and payed him good for doing that for me.It makes you feel good to know there are still honest, generous ,hard working people still around to help when you are in need. Glad you had a good time at your sisters. Rhonda, there was a quilt there that looks like Brandon's quilt, as soon as I get it resized for posting, I'll send it to you! Except their's didn't have a cute puppy on it!

Sandy Navas
July 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Don't get too alarmed, while the heat many of us are experiencing can be miserable, nobody here died. EXCEPT MY CAR BATTERY!

Came home from my wonderful long weekend at my sister Terry's two beautiful places (Sisters and Manzanita, OR) on the red-eye, with no sleep, to a blazing hot St. Louis day. Got to my car that had been parked on the very expensive lot for 6 days and not a sound came out of it, automatic locks didn't work, I could barely get into it. Battery was deader than a doornail! The nice parking lot people sent an attendant with jumper cables to rescue me--the jumper cables were about 6" too short, then he go out a longer pair, and they were hooked up with a special connector to his truck battery, those didn't work.

Final rescue was from daughter #1, who came from work to get me and take me home, a wonderful trusting man at the car service garage, who GAVE me a brand new battery to get my car going, and my dear son-in-law who helped me install it. I will settle up with the guy at the garage tomorrow, but that's the kind a person he is, very trusting!

Car is in the garage, with brand new battery installed, and I got to take a nap this afternoon while waiting for my son-in-law to come home from work to help me.

Life is good.

I will post pictures of my trip and of the beautiful quilts, but I have to make every one of them smaller in file size, and that is going to take a while.

Want to see the men behind the quilts? They are very worthwhile seeing. If I were looking for a man, I know where I'd move, SISTERS, OR! There's some good looking guys behind those quilts! Oh, I am looking for a man, maybe have to consider that move in the future!

Sorry about your car. But, Jean, you can resize all your photos at once if you are using Windows. Click on the first one, hold down the shift key and scroll down until they are all highlighted, right click and click on Resize Pictures. It will take a while, depending upon how many photos you have - but it does work!!

K. McEuen
July 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I have an aunt in Redmond. Maybe I'll make a trip to see her one of these years during the quilt show. It soulds like you had fun.

auntiemern
July 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM
So sorry to hear about the death of your battery. However, so very glad you got back home safely. So looking forward to your pics. Sounds like my kind of quilt show. Welcome back, we have missed you. Oh and about the man part, NO YOU DON'T, LOL.

K. McEuen
July 18th, 2012, 12:13 AM
So sorry to hear about the death of your battery. However, so very glad you got back home safely. So looking forward to your pics. Sounds like my kind of quilt show. Welcome back, we have missed you. Oh and about the man part, NO YOU DON'T, LOL.

Marilyn, I was seriously considering offering her mine if she wanted one that bad ...

Jean Sewing Machine
July 18th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Marilyn, I was seriously considering offering her mine if she wanted one that bad ...

Ok, ok, if you are warning me! Mine did the grocery shopping and loved it, that's one thing I really miss. Oh, and then there's the trash. And how about replacing dead batteries? Think about this before you go giving yours away!

I am picky, that's why the only male in this house is a feline.

K. McEuen
July 18th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Ok, ok, if you are warning me! Mine did the grocery shopping and loved it, that's one thing I really miss. Oh, and then there's the trash. And how about replacing dead batteries? Think about this before you go giving yours away!

I am picky, that's why the only male in this house is a feline.

Wow, he went grocery shopping? That's impressive. Mine won't even go to the grocery store with me, well, the commissary. hates the "blue hairs" that shop there. I can't say that I blame him, I'm not real thrilled getting run into by those women and their carts either. He does take out the trash, and will do dishes as well. He knows how to make grilled cheese, ramen noodles and boil hot dogs. Pretty much other than that, you have to stay healthy here if you want anything decent to eat. Bonus is he doesn't complain when I buy fabric. :D

Jean Sewing Machine
July 18th, 2012, 12:35 AM
All those fine qualites and you considered auctioning him off?

K. McEuen
July 18th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Maybe I could rent him out.

CrazyMtnLady
July 18th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry about the car battery. I am sure it was very frustrating when you wanted to be home after your trip.

Divine Daisy
July 18th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Welcome home Jean! Glad to have you home.

I would lend you Mr Daisy. Does grocery shopping AND puts it away, car batteries, not a problem. You have to live with a computor graveyard and he makes robots for 'cat bothering' which gets old fairly quickly. Puts out the wheely bin on rubbish day and fetches it back. Trouble is this model is a bugger to insure at the moment.

K. McEuen
July 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Haha, I knew I liked Mr. D for some reason. I used to chase my dogs with remote controlled cars. The cat just sat there and let us run into him, he didn't care.

SuzyQue
July 18th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Glad you are home, safe and sound. Sorry about the car battery and the heat. Can't wait to see the pics.