• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrazyMtnLady
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2011

LOL...National Pig Day

If you haven't check out today's daily deal, check out the picture in today's daily deal story. A pig in rain boots.

I love pigs! I collect pig things and have a crown on one of my teeth with a pink pig painted on it. I would have a pet pig but DH would want to call it Bacon or Pork Chops. I have always loved pigs ever since I was a little girl and read Charlotte's Web for the first time.

The only problem I have now is my place is way to small to get all my pigs out of storage and put them in the house. I do plan on bringing in a few though, since I have put up a shelf in the front room and plan on putting up one more.
    It is time to bring the pigs in out of their boxes!

I also collect key chains from every state I go to. And I use to collect cookbooks but now with the internet I can just look up recipes.

Does anyone else have an obsession with collecting things.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic
  • EnumclawGramma
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2012

Re: LOL...National Pig Day

I used to collect clocks. That got out of hand really fast and 'bout drove my family nuts! Changing from Daylight savings time to Standard time was a pain. I also have a piggy bank collection. Mostly really old ones. I love my pigs! Lastly....Vintage Linens! I love everything about them. The way they feel, the old embroidery, the way they smell when they're freshly laundered and ironed, and I LOVE ironing them! Putting beautiful vintage pillowcases on a guest bed for display is something that brings me pleasure. It's a "feel good" thing....
    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2010

Obsession? What is that? Do you consider my fabric stash? My collection of lambs and sheep? How about all my old sad irons? Do the wash boards count? What about the apple decor in my kitchen? Or the everything Red, White & Blue in both our guest bathroom and the dining room? Or the stacks of paper in my studio? How about buying pencils every time I see a package - and having hundreds that have never been sharpened - yet I can never find one when I need one? Believe me, I could go on. Stopped collecting leather purses although I still have gobs and gobs and even seek them out in thrift stores now - however I never carry a purse any longer.

I don't know what an obsession is, Donna, please explain in detail!!!!
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• K. McEuen
        Super Moderator
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2011

Sandy forgot all about her old sewing machines ...

I used to collect candles. The different shaped ones. Finally got rid of those. Then for a while I collected tins. Got to a point that I had enough, stopped collecting them. I do have a collection of depression glass, most of it was my grandmother's, but I have added a few pieces over the years. I guess my most active collection now is fabric.
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Divine Daisy
          Missouri Star
          • May 2011

I used to have two pigs. One called Petunia and one called Daphnie. Their boyfriend lived locally and was called Edward. He was such a ladies man! Pigs are such great animals, so sociable and mine were utterly devoted to me. I used to feed them left over beer from the local pub. The landlord would save all his slops in a bucket and leave it for me to collect. Ah they loved their beer.

But talking about pork chops........... When Petunia had her last litter I popped in to tell my friend who owned Edward that she had delivered and she went to the freezer, opened the door and yelled.........congratulations! You are a father!

Well! In rather poor taste I thought.
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• K. McEuen
            Super Moderator
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2011

Haha! Daisy, your story reminded me of my sister. She may be related to your friend. My sister had a pig named Petunia as well. Petunia even knew how to run across the bridge and bring the paper back to the porch. A few months later as the family was sitting down to dinner my nephew asked my sister what they were having. Sister replied "Petunia."

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

• buckeyequilter
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

Haha....according to my DH I collect clothes and shoes. I finally sorted through some of it and gave away 3 - 30 gallon trash bags of shoes...I no longer collect them. My daughter took a bunch of my clothes to a church garage sale...and then had the nerve to say, in front of DH "mom did you know some of those clothes still had price tags on them" - doesn't matter now I no longer collect clothes. I collected bears until I got so many I had to start storing them...no fun collecting if you have no room for display.

Now I collect Fenton glass - so far it all fits in the top half of my curio. I now prefer to let others buy my collectibles for gifts for me and I spend my money on my hobbies - crochet, sewing and reading.

Happy collecting (hoarding) to all!
              Shirley aka buckeyequilter
              I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

• sally
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2010

COLLECT?...OMGoodness...my house is one BIG collection. My DH and I love the old stuff especially anything that is quirky. I collect cream and green enamalware and kitchenalia mostly jadite green from the 30's and 40's. Yes Sandy that includes sad irons too. Do you know where I can find a triple trivet?
                Well speaking of collecting I gots to go to work and collect a paycheck...lol Bye for now!
                sigpic
                Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

• SuzyQue
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2010

I use to collect bunnies....for years...kind of getting over them, but still have lots! I have taken over my mil's bridal basket collection---gorgeous. I love cut glass and have quite a lot, but not really a collection. Fabric, holiday decorations, books!!!

Comment

• quiltingtrish
                    Banned
                    Missouri Star
                    • Sep 2009

Fabric. I try to use it up, honestly I do, however, there is still lots there. I can't help it if it literally jumps itself into my shopping cart, jumps into the car, and then into the fabric closet when I get home.

Anything quilty, Marines stuff, and Teddy Bears with that special look in their eyes.

Hugs,

Comment

• madampolo
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2012

I don't collect anything, if you don't count fabric. The pig stories reminded me of one of the same that happened to me. We bought a baby chicken at Easter when they use to sell them all dyed up in colors. When it got bigger, we had to give it to my Aunt who lived in the country. Same story. We went there for dinner only to find out we were eating our pet chicken. Why do people do that, especially to kids? Traumatizes them for life. Sniff, sniff.
                      Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                        Sandy forgot all about her old sewing machines ...

I used to collect candles. The different shaped ones. Finally got rid of those. Then for a while I collected tins. Got to a point that I had enough, stopped collecting them. I do have a collection of depression glass, most of it was my grandmother's, but I have added a few pieces over the years. I guess my most active collection now is fabric.
                        I was about to mention Sandy's 19 sewing machines--or is it a higher number now, Sandy? She's got me beat, I only have 9.

Comment

• Bubby
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jun 2011

I collect Kire King Jadeite dishes and quilts! Here are a few of the dishes....jadeite1.jpgjadeite3.jpg

I don't understand why photos bounce around lately every time I upload them. Hugs, Barb
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Genny
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2011

I love pigs too...in fact we're having breakfast pizza with, of course, bacon on it for supper! I know..."breakfast for supper"??? ...yes I know... not normal...but it is around our house. I sure didn't know they could run a mile in 7 minutes!

As far as collecting...I have a lot of "Willow Tree" figurines. For those who don't know what these are I've included a pic of one. The name of this one is "Angel of Summer". My daughters and grandaughters got me started on these and I truely love them.
                            Attached Files
                            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• K. McEuen
                              Super Moderator
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2011

Barb, hit enter a couple times after your sentence and afet each picture link and everything will space out right.

Genny must never have been chased by a mad mama pig. Something that big, with legs that short, should not be able to move that fast. But seeing one coming at you with a death look in her eyes, gives a whole new meaning to the saying "when pigs fly" because I swear they can. Luckily they can't jump over fences (which is what I did to escape) but I was really worried that she was going to barrel right through it.

Before you speak,
                              T - is it TRUE?
                              H - is it HELPFUL?
                              I - is it INSPIRING?
                              N - is it NECESSARY?
                              K - is it KIND?

Comment

Working...
                              X