PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Star Block Swap 2010

Pages : [1] 2 3

pdjewelrylady
August 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
You asked for it - you got it!!
:icon_woohoo:
I set up a new group for the Christmas Star Block Swap
We will be making the jelly roll star block (featured in the msqc tutorials). SUPER QUICK and SUPER EASY following Jenny's awesome instructions!!!!

Everyone will make twice the equal number of blocks to swappers signed up by Oct 15th (10 swappers = 20 blocks ....)

Half of your blocks will be with the star a WHITE FOCUS - - Background will be CHRISTMAS NOVELTY PRINT
Other half of blocks will be the reverse - Christmas novelty print star with White focus background :)

mailing date will be Nov 1 which gives lots of time to start now and make a couple blocks at a time. Use your stash! .......... and get new for this years other projects :lol:

I hope we have lots of players and make some really pretty scrappy Christmas Star Quilts!!

hugs, Suzi :)

Dragonfly
August 28th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Are we sticking to the red/green colour scheme for our blocks or does anything go? :icon_beuj:

pdjewelrylady
August 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hi lynn,
anything Christmas Novelty goes as long as you use WHITE FOCUS for the star on your first block and for the background on the second (reversed) block. ....... i have some really cute blue and even a purple i will be using. :)

pdjewelrylady
August 29th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Oh my goodness - these are SO EASY!! While listening to race on mrn radio this afternoon I now have 35 sets (70 blocks!!!) made up and ready to go...!!! whooooooHoooooooo :) and hahahahahahahahahahha!!! :icon_bigsmile:

Texsam
August 29th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Oh my goodness - these are SO EASY!! While listening to race on mrn radio this afternoon I now have 35 sets (70 blocks!!!) made up and ready to go...!!! whooooooHoooooooo :) and hahahahahahahahahahha!!! :icon_bigsmile:

Good grief woman! Is your sewing machine smoking?! :icon_heh:

janluna
August 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
If I could borrow some from you I could join the block swap. Say, about 20?!!???:icon_whistle: I know, I got to do them myself....Can't blame a girl for trying.

hillbilly
August 30th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I'm going to do a stash buster for this one! So, mine will be a variety, but will follow the standards set.
Thanks!!

pdjewelrylady
August 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
GREAT hillbilly! Mine are stachbusters too :) Love that :)

hugs, Suzi

Lola2Ace
August 30th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Suzi, thanks so much for all you are doing for these swaps! I had several questions and your sample blocks you posted pretty much answered every question I had.
I am trying to get up the courage to join in this swap, even have fabrics picked out of my stash.
But, I am going to stitch out a sample block and see how I do with it before signing up. Oh, and watch Jenny's video a few MORE times. LOL LOL
I have never done a swap before, but it seems like it would be sooooo much fun. I just finished reading ALL of the posts on the swap you all just finished and all I can say is WOW oh WOW.
Lola

pdjewelrylady
August 31st, 2010, 12:16 AM
Ladies, we are so blessed! DRAGONFLY has spent many hours creating a .pdf written instructions complete with step by step pictures!!! YAY!!! The file is to large to attach here in the forum but she or I will be happy to email to you. send request to my attention at premierjeweler.suzi@gmail.com

HUGS HUGS HUGS to you Ms Dragonfly!!!! :icon_hug:

Texsam
August 31st, 2010, 12:25 AM
Suzi, thanks so much for all you are doing for these swaps! I had several questions and your sample blocks you posted pretty much answered every question I had.
I am trying to get up the courage to join in this swap, even have fabrics picked out of my stash.
But, I am going to stitch out a sample block and see how I do with it before signing up. Oh, and watch Jenny's video a few MORE times. LOL LOL
I have never done a swap before, but it seems like it would be sooooo much fun. I just finished reading ALL of the posts on the swap you all just finished and all I can say is WOW oh WOW.
Lola

C'mon Lola you can do it!! That was my first time to do a block swap and it was so fun. There were times I wanted to back out. But hey like we found out in that swap there are no quilt police! :icon_woohoo: OOH look Dragonfly did written instructions! :icon_hug: Ya know you want to join the :icon_crazy: ladies!

Texsam
August 31st, 2010, 12:30 AM
If I could borrow some from you I could join the block swap. Say, about 20?!!???:icon_whistle: I know, I got to do them myself....Can't blame a girl for trying.

You're doing the swap right! Don't make me do the :icon_angry: face.

sally
August 31st, 2010, 12:31 AM
Come on Lola..If I can you can. The last swap was my first exchange and my second set of blocks ever!

Texsam
August 31st, 2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks Dragonfly!! I just read the instructions and they are very easy to follow. :icon_tup:

I've watched the tutorial several times, but I'm still at the stage where I like to have written instructions. Besides I'm sure Jenny is getting tired of showing me what to do (luv ya Jenny)! :icon_heh:

Dragonfly
August 31st, 2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks Dragonfly!! I just read the instructions and they are very easy to follow. :icon_tup:

I've watched the tutorial several times, but I'm still at the stage where I like to have written instructions. Besides I'm sure Jenny is getting tired of showing me what to do (luv ya Jenny)! :icon_heh:

You are most welcome, I prefer written instructions as well, I like to have them next to me in the sewing room not floating around in cyberspace as a video clip. :lol::icon_pcnoob:

I'm sorry the file is so large but it has lots of photos, I compressed them to the point of almost messing the quality up, I hope the download is worth it for you ladies. :icon_happy:

RockyMountainHorseMama
August 31st, 2010, 02:43 AM

DAT GUM! What are you ON?! I want some! 70 blocks?!! *faints* ---- THUD!

NM Lady
August 31st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Thank you Suzi and Dragonfly! The printed instructions are really easy to follow!

Keepstitchin
August 31st, 2010, 10:12 PM
This is my first block swap, so really, I no idea what to do! Can someone please 'splain it to me, and maybe send me some written instructions? TIA!!

~Laurie

Texsam
August 31st, 2010, 11:12 PM
This is my first block swap, so really, I no idea what to do! Can someone please 'splain it to me, and maybe send me some written instructions? TIA!!

~Laurie

Hey Laurie

Go to the first page of this thread and at the bottom pdjewelrylady has a reply with her email in it. If you send her an email she will send you a pdf that Lynn (Dragonfly) prepared. The instructions are very easy to follow. Also look at the tutorials-Jenny did one on this block, so you can see a visual too. Ask any questions you have and someone will be able to help.

middlesis1966
September 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Suzi and dragonfly for all the help. I know this chc is gonna need all the help in sewing I can get, lol.

Keepstitchin
September 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
Hey Laurie

Go to the first page of this thread and at the bottom pdjewelrylady has a reply with her email in it. If you send her an email she will send you a pdf that Lynn (Dragonfly) prepared. The instructions are very easy to follow. Also look at the tutorials-Jenny did one on this block, so you can see a visual too. Ask any questions you have and someone will be able to help.

Thank you, Sheila!

jrchapman
September 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Ladies, we are so blessed! DRAGONFLY has spent many hours creating a .pdf written instructions complete with step by step pictures!!! YAY!!! The file is to large to attach here in the forum but she or I will be happy to email to you. send request to my attention at premierjeweler.suzi@gmail.com

HUGS HUGS HUGS to you Ms Dragonfly!!!! :icon_hug:

If you let YSGLCG know he's compiling a load of written instructions for all the tutorials.

pdjewelrylady
September 1st, 2010, 03:11 PM
yep, i sent the fle to Bill the other day...... :)

these blocks are so easy!!! my crazycat friend Pam is close to 150!! hahahahahahahaha

hope you decide to join us jr!! :)

NM Lady
September 1st, 2010, 11:26 PM
OK, I'm going to give this a try. Put together a sample block this evening to see if it was something that was managable. It took me all evening to put it together, but I'll give it my best effort.

pdjewelrylady
September 2nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
So glad you are joining NM!! after you have put together a couple more of them they will get easier and easier....... soon you will be teaching your neighbors how to make them!! LOL ;)

hugs, suzi

patticakes
September 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
I was thinking of joining the group but when i looked for Jenny's tute I could not find it. I must be overlooking it. Can someone direct this old woman to it?? Thanks!

hillbilly
September 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
I was thinking of joining the group but when i looked for Jenny's tute I could not find it. I must be overlooking it. Can someone direct this old woman to it?? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORH13QQKoWs

I think they forget to put some of the newer ones on the site, so I just suscribe to them on You Tube

pdjewelrylady
September 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
on the main tutorial page all the way at the bottom is a liink that says "View tutorial in old format" click there and it brings up the old format page (which i like better anyway). search thru those tutes and it is there about the 4th row over second down.

patticakes
September 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Thank you hillbilly and pd! I am gonna go sign up, never done this before but I might as well join the fun!
patticakes

sally
September 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome Patticakes...we sure had fun with the summer block exchange. Going to get started on mine this weekend!:icon_wave:

patticakes
September 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks Sally! I am going to buy some fabric tomorrow. I am always excited when I have a reason to buy fabric.
patti

NM Lady
September 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Just a couple of questions. When you say white, does that mean white, white or will off white be ok?

Hate to bring this up, but really need to know. Since many are using jelly rolls, I'm assuming we don't prewash, but just checking to make sure.

Thank you!

pdjewelrylady
September 4th, 2010, 09:27 PM
prewashing is not something I do - so nope - no prewashing needed :)

White focus is something that is not very available this year it seems. I have been to a couple of our local shops and hard to find! SO ................... as long as it is not toooo far off-white (not tan) then i think it will be wonderful :) does everyone agree?

hugs, Suzi

Dragonfly
September 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I was considering asking this question also, I have the two blocks I did for the tutorial, that white was years old from my stash and was all I had. I found a lovely Christmas jelly roll but it has creams not white. I drove to 3 different quilt stores and none had any suitable white fabric but did have lovely creams. So I hope everyone will be happy with that or I could be in a spot of bother. :icon_shake:

NM Lady
September 4th, 2010, 09:51 PM
That's great! I too found more of cream, but only one white and the store didn't have very much of that.

pdjewelrylady
September 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM
yes, that is what I found today also - lots of creams but not so much white white............... i don't think we are too early in the season so must be the manufacturers are holding out! hahahahahahahah :lol:

sally
September 4th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I found the most darling material. Can't wait to put it all toghether...wish me luck. I am still unsure of myself! I know practice makes perfect but wow you guys are so good at this.:icon_mooooh:

janluna
September 5th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I noticed someone say they can't find white fabric for their star blocks. Did you check out the bella layer cakes that they sell here? They are 10x10". Wouldn't they work. And they are all bright white. Jenny used them to do her circle quilt. She sells them here. I know I'm not a member of the swap but just thought it might help. Have fun ladies. Love, Jan

patticakes
September 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM
So glad I check here because I was sad to only find one, not too exciting, holiday background fabric. I didn't buy any because I wanted to be happy about my fabric. There were more cream options. Glad to know we can now use either.
Thanks,
Patti

jrchapman
September 5th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I bought my Christmasy fabric today at a quilt show so I'm excited to get started!

pdjewelrylady
September 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
JR - great!!! :) that is wonderful FUN news!!

Sally - whooooHooooooooooo :)

Patti - glad you looked here too! LOL

Janluna - please join us :) we are going to have some really really beautiful blocks when theya re all done and put together :) YAY!! that is my favorite favorite part! :)

HUGS, Suzi :)

sally
September 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I DID IT! I DID IT! happy dance...jig jig...high five. I finished my first square and it worked out. Only 29 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:icon_happy::icon_happy:

hillbilly
September 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I DID IT! I DID IT! happy dance...jig jig...high five. I finished my first square and it worked out. Only 29 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:icon_happy::icon_happy:

Is that the final tally? 30?

sally
September 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Suzi told me we had 15 signed up so far. I think the cut off date for joining the block exchange has moved to Sept. 15 rather than 0ct 15 so we have a set amount we know we must make.

hillbilly
September 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM
That's good! Otherwise we might get up to 100!!!

NM Lady
September 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Sally, I'm so excited for you!!!!!

I finished my first block today too. Tried to go on with a 2nd one, but it was pretty messed up. Decided to put it away for the evening and will try again tomorrow.

Anyway, it is great to have one done!!!!!

Also, wanted to share with you ladies, that I found a ruler type thing called Shape Cut by June Taylor Inc. It has little grooves that keep your rotary cutter in line to where it is easier to to keep your cuts straight!

Hope everyone has a great evening!

NM Lady

Lola2Ace
September 5th, 2010, 09:24 PM
There were only 2 true whites to choose from at the quilt shop where I got mine. I am just a bit short of the amount needed, so I will be visiting them again this week. I stayed up most of the night last night and got most of my strips cut, spent most of today sub-cutting strips and watching movies at the same time. More cutting to do, but will put my 1st block together here in just a little bit.
I am so excited! I hope it works out as well for me as it did for Sally. High Five to you Sally!
Lola

hillbilly
September 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Is it okay to have plain white on white as long as the reds are Christmas novelty??

Dragonfly
September 5th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Is it okay to have plain white on white as long as the reds are Christmas novelty??

If this is ok then I have a lovely white on white with snowflakes and another with stars that I could use instead of cream.

pdjewelrylady
September 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
i think the wow is fine as long as it is still in the christmas theme section like with the snowflakes........ :icon_hi:

pdjewelrylady
September 6th, 2010, 05:58 PM
i think the wow is fine as long as it is still in the christmas theme section like with the snowflakes........ :icon_hi:
"Seasonal" is the better term i am being told............. :)

hugs, SUzi

pdjewelrylady
September 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM
SO EXCITED about this swap!! love love love how these stars piece together! Looking forward to a couple more ladies joining the fun (sign up on the group home page now) and swappin' lots of beautiful stars come november!! :icon_happy:

HUGS! Suzi :)

Lola2Ace
September 7th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I am enjoying making the blocks as well, Suzi! I am sooo glad I joined this swap, and am so excited to see all of the other blocks as well! The lady at the quilt shop asked me what I was making when I went in today to get more fabric and she thought it was great! Of course, I had just purchased more fabric so she would think it was :D . I have enough to finish my blocks and should have enough for borders and binding as well. I am really missing sewing on my blocks today, but I am Granny Nanny to Ace today and that is awesome too.
Lola

hillbilly
September 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Well, looky there, Bill Nye is a really nice guy!!

Well, we knew that anyway. Everyone at MSQC are nice peeps.

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I can tell ya right now that if I have to make more than 30 blocks, take me off the list, coz that's NOT fun for me and is already waaay too many ...

pdjewelrylady
September 7th, 2010, 10:02 PM
aweeee come on now Bridgette - that is only 2 a day for 15 days! and if you take a day off in between that is only 30 days and we have 45 days!! :D

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
aweeee come on now Bridgette - that is only 2 a day for 15 days! and if you take a day off in between that is only 30 days and we have 45 days!! :D

*placing hands on each side of door jam* .... *banging forehead on door jam repeatedly* ...

patticakes
September 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Just got my fabric today and started cutting them out. Got 12 all cut out and ready to start sewing tomorrow. We currently have 14 members right? So that is 28 blocks total so far?
Once I finish the first 12 I am going to make the other 16 and as many as I can out of the fabric I bought because I can always use them if we get a few more or to create something else once the cut off date is reached.
Hope mine turn out decent...I am getting nervous!
Patti

pdjewelrylady
September 7th, 2010, 10:39 PM
*placing hands on each side of door jam* .... *banging forehead on door jam repeatedly* ...

HAHAHAHHA you are so silly!! these blocks are so easy if you just cut and sew a few at a time - you can do it!! :lol:

pdjewelrylady
September 7th, 2010, 10:42 PM
YAY! Patti - great news :) pace yourself, a few at a time, slow and steady.......... there is still plennnnnnnntttttttty of time.

hugs, Suzi

middlesis1966
September 7th, 2010, 11:10 PM
:icon_sniff:
I can tell ya right now that if I have to make more than 30 blocks, take me off the list, coz that's NOT fun for me and is already waaay too many ...

Awe come on Bridgette, you have to play this one too. Pretty Please with sugar on top!! ( Now this is the part where I look at you with a childlike face ). It wont be the same if you dont come out and play!:icon_sniff:

Texsam
September 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Stop that you're gonna hurt the door jam:lol:. You can do it. You've been making all those pretty tops and log cabin squares. I haven't even found any fabric yet. :icon_eek: OH NO :icon_mooooh: time to freak out!!! NO STOP IT :icon_slap: It'll be okay Bridgette :icon_hug:

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 8th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Stop that you're gonna hurt the door jam:lol:. You can do it. You've been making all those pretty tops and log cabin squares. I haven't even found any fabric yet. :icon_eek: OH NO :icon_mooooh: time to freak out!!! NO STOP IT :icon_slap: It'll be okay Bridgette :icon_hug:

FABRIC?! I HAVE TO GET FABRIC?! *faints* ------ THUD!

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 8th, 2010, 02:23 AM
:icon_sniff:

Awe come on Bridgette, you have to play this one too. Pretty Please with sugar on top!! ( Now this is the part where I look at you with a childlike face ). It wont be the same if you dont come out and play!:icon_sniff:

Awww, yah it won't be the same coz you won't have me running around panicking b/c I can't make the blocks!!!:lol: Actually, this one I can do. I already made a quilt just my FMQ completely sucked! Anyways, the blocks were a cinch, it's just finding Christmas fabric is my problem and making that many block ... ugh ... not fun ...

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 8th, 2010, 02:25 AM
HAHAHAHHA you are so silly!! these blocks are so easy if you just cut and sew a few at a time - you can do it!! :lol:

Yes, THESE are easy and beautiful, they're the perfect block, just hope I can get THAT MANY made! :icon_mooooh::icon_crazy::icon_mooooh:

Lola2Ace
September 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM
YOU can do it Bridgette!! :icon_slap: to :icon_calm: you down LOL
Just take a deep breath, relaxed now???
They are a very easy block and once you get the 1st and 2nd one done they are a piece of cake and you will get into the rhythm of them.
It is amazing the difference in the 2 (color) ways of stitching them out!
Hubby and DD were impressed! I am very happy with them, but was even happier when they
said how much they like them!
Lola

sally
September 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Come on Bridgette...:icon_tup::icon_attention:If Lola, NMlady and myself can do it and we are beginners you can do it!. Come on give the ol' college try as they say!
I have 2 done and tonight I am going for broke...2 in one night! They do get easier...Thanks Suzi!:icon_wave:

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM
YOU can do it Bridgette!! :icon_slap: to :icon_calm: you down LOL
Just take a deep breath, relaxed now???
They are a very easy block and once you get the 1st and 2nd one done they are a piece of cake and you will get into the rhythm of them.
It is amazing the difference in the 2 (color) ways of stitching them out!
Hubby and DD were impressed! I am very happy with them, but was even happier when they
said how much they like them!
Lola

WOW! Everyone's already started and I haven't even looked through my stash or gone to the Fabric shop, AAACK!

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 8th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Come on Bridgette...:icon_tup::icon_attention:If Lola, NMlady and myself can do it and we are beginners you can do it!. Come on give the ol' college try as they say!
I have 2 done and tonight I am going for broke...2 in one night! They do get easier...Thanks Suzi!:icon_wave:

I'm a beginner, too, Sally and these blocks are easy and the first ones I ever made b/c of Jenny and her wonderful tutorials! But, I didn't have to make THAT many, only 20, and the last couple were boringly tiresome but came out great LOL! I can't imagine having to do 30 .. or more ... :icon_doh:

Texsam
September 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
WOW! Everyone's already started and I haven't even looked through my stash or gone to the Fabric shop, AAACK!

I haven't bought mine yet either. I didn't venture towards the quilt shop because of the rain. Sheesh! I'm glad to see you didn't float away. Musta had your rope with ya! :icon_rofl:

sally
September 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM
:icon_attention:If I only do a couple at a time it doesn't get boring...plus think of all the excercise you get. Stand and cut, sit and sew, stand and press, sit and sew, stand and press...Whew I am tired just writing this!:icon_heh:

NM Lady
September 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I never thought of it as exercise! Now I feel a whole lot better.:D

patticakes
September 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Got 9 blocks done today! They all turned out so beautiful! I have bought six different fabrics and have three sets of reverse blocks that fit the rules so will have 10 sets of each reverse when I get done. Hope to post a pic soon!

I had fun working on this project this afternoon. I was really overthinking it and once I figured out I was just sewing the same block 4 times and how I set those 4 blocks up made the complete block it became so easy!! I chain stitched like crazy after that!

Hope everyone else is coming along well!
Patti

pdjewelrylady
September 8th, 2010, 09:37 PM
WHOOOO HOOOOOOO

you GOT it ms Patti!! :) no more nervous - right on!! :)

hugs, Suzi

pdjewelrylady
September 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM
:icon_wave:
hi!! are you still wondering about joining this swap? We are having lots of fun getting to know each other and making some wonderful (easy) and beautiful blocks!! Sign up to play before the 15th! plenty of time to make just a couple at a time and get lots of other things done too ....... I can't wait to see the finsihed Christmas Quilts that come from this swap!!

JOIN NOW ! :icon_happy:

pdjewelrylady
September 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM
SALLY!! what a great thought ! would probably work if i didnt also snack while i sew!! hahaahahhaaaa :lol:

ginampls
September 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I am so sorry... but i am not able to commit to the block swap... all the best to you all. i look forward to seeing the quilts. when they are finished.
alll the best gina mpls

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 8th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I haven't bought mine yet either. I didn't venture towards the quilt shop because of the rain. Sheesh! I'm glad to see you didn't float away. Musta had your rope with ya! :icon_rofl:

I've been doin my rain dances daily and most enthusiastically for a month now coz my pasture was almost dried up ... I think I over did it ... oops! :icon_eek: Guess I'll have to build an Ark to get to the Fabric Shop, want me to pick you up on the way?! :lol:

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 8th, 2010, 10:57 PM
:icon_attention:If I only do a couple at a time it doesn't get boring...plus think of all the excercise you get. Stand and cut, sit and sew, stand and press, sit and sew, stand and press...Whew I am tired just writing this!:icon_heh:

At first I thought you said sexercise and I got whiplash doing a double take and then read EXERCISE and went ... EW!:icon_rolleyes: No pain ... no pain! :lol:

Texsam
September 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I've been doin my rain dances daily and most enthusiastically for a month now coz my pasture was almost dried up ... I think I over did it ... oops! :icon_eek: Guess I'll have to build an Ark to get to the Fabric Shop, want me to pick you up on the way?! :lol:

I've been hearing tales of a :icon_crazy:woman up north of here doing some dance and waving what looked to be rotary cutters in the air. They were scared to get too close to know for sure. :icon_heh:

You may need an ark if you go much further past me. You can sail it down the Trinity!

hillbilly
September 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I am so glad that my husband got his job and that we don't have to mail for awhile. I was going to have to back out. I have a ton of christmas fabric, but no white!! I really cannot buy a thing right now...but he should be starting his job soon, and now I don't have to back out!

pdjewelrylady
September 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM
YAY!! :) WhoooHooooooooooooooo :icon_hi::icon_hiya:and YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE:icon_woohoo:

patticakes
September 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Woo hoo....hillbilly...glad you are staying with us!!
It is wonderful news about the job! My BF has been out of work over 2 1/2 years. He is a plumber so there are side jobs here and there. Thank goodness because now that his unemployment ran out things get pretty tight sometimes. I don't know what we will do if I lose my job, which might happen after the 1st of next year. I quilt to keep sane through all this stress! I am glad that you can relax a little now and stay in the swap with us. Can't wait to see what you are gonna do!

pdjewelrylady
September 9th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I have a ton of christmas fabric, but no white!! !
:icon_cool:
remember we decided early on that creams or just slightly off white focus is workable too...... :)

hugs, Suzi

hillbilly
September 9th, 2010, 10:04 AM
remember we decided early on that creams or just slightly off white focus is workable too...... :)

hugs, Suzi

Oh, I thought creams were still out. I am going to see if I have any creams...I think I have a couple. Yeppee!!

craftyladysam
September 9th, 2010, 09:46 PM
pdjewlrylady, I want to join in but am going to try the block first. Will let you know soon! Bought some fabric over the weekend for the block. How many have joined in and how many blocks do we need to send to you? I"M going to watch the video one more time.LOL Thanks for the invite! :D
Saundra

pdjewelrylady
September 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Craftyladysam !
We ALL hope you will decide to join the swap :) fun fun :)

The blocks are really very easy if you take your time to figure out the first few and just make a couple a day as you go. There are no quilt police on duty to see whose are the very best - this swap is about having fun making a new block pattern that maybe you have not tried before (and getting really good at at in the process) and then trading with ladies literaly across the world. The end result is very exciting when you recieve back the blocks everyone has made. :icon_cool:

craftyladysam
September 10th, 2010, 10:26 PM
pdjewelrylady,
WooHoo! I got one made! Let me give you a laugh at all the trouble I've had. Maybe the force or something doesn't want me to join. First I bought some preety material for the blocks and started cutting. Well then I realized I had cut all the white print 2 1/2 " wide left none for the opposite star! Then I proceeded to sew them together and sewed them wrong not print to print soooooooooo had to pull out the seams and turn them right. Then when I tried to put the star together I saw I had sewed them opposite from Jenny's. Firgured it out anyway and have a star finally! Wheee! Maybe two or three more tries and I'll have one I can send your way. LOL Gotta go buy more fabric. Put me on the list I"ll keep trying! How many do I need to make? Can you send me the written instructions? My email address is craftyladysam@gmail.com. Here goes a good try! Saundra:icon_giggle:

sally
September 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Saundra...too funny. When I did my first star I had one point turned wrong as well and some times my points are off so I have to rip apart them but I am making progress. Working on #5. I think I have only 25 to go..........:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:
WE WILL PERSEVERE!

pdjewelrylady
September 10th, 2010, 11:16 PM
:icon_bigsmile: WHooooHooooo Yipppppppeeeeeee and hooorah!!!! Click on the groups tab and then on join :D

patticakes
September 11th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Saundra - glad you have joined us! Can't wait to see your stars!

craftyladysam
September 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks Patti! I'm excited. Did we decide not to use plain fabric? Even if it's Christmas color?

pdjewelrylady
September 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
fabrics should all be print - white or cream focus and christmas / winter prints. :icon_cool:

middlesis1966
September 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
fabrics should all be print - white or cream focus and christmas / winter prints. :icon_cool:

Let me get this straight. The white cant be plain white. It also has to have a print on it. Cause if it does I need to go shoppin then, yahoo!!!

Texsam
September 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM
So I made my first two blocks last night. All I can say is that I'm glad I only bought fat quarters of the two fabrics I found. They're from the same line, but when I made the blocks-it looks like the reindeer got into the fruitcake and let's just say it didn't settle well. I showed my DD and she didn't like them either. Soooo I have to find more fabric. :(

Texsam
September 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
OMG!! :icon_slap: for some idiotic reason I though we were only using a white or cream fabric and a red fabric. Then I keep seeing green fabric and thinking okay I missed something somewhere. Yeah my ability to read apparently. Okay now I'm less stressed. :icon_rolleyes:

sally
September 12th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Stressed! I sewed a block together and then went huh this isn't right. Stared at it some more and then it hit me my 4 " block was not my bg color. So I had to rip the whole thing apart and here I thought i was going to ace this. Awe well part the process I guess. Keep smiling everyone:D:D:D

patticakes
September 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I know what you mean Sally, I was so confused at first. I finally figured out that each square contained the 4 - 4" squares and the 8 - 2 1/2" squares were cut from the one fabric and the 6" and 4" strips cut from the other. That sure sped things up for me!
Can't wait to see what you have going! Remember - there are no quilt police!

Texsam
September 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hey Sally

I'm only less stressed on the color choices. When it comes to sewing the blocks I've done my fair share of un-sewing too:icon_heh:. I talk to myself a lot when I sew, it helps me somehow. But I'm not crazy! :icon_whistle: (just yet)

pdjewelrylady
September 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Can't wait to see what you have going! Remember - there are no quilt police!
EXACTLY!! :D no stress - have fun learning to make the blocks a couple at a time.......just think how great you will be when you are done with them! These are going to be some of the BEST Christmas Star Blocks anywhere!! and the prettiest! :)

NM Lady
September 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
OK, added pictures of the first set of blocks. Made 5 sets of these and now having to change material. Messed up enough of this material that I ran out.:lol:

Anyway, hope these are ok.

This is exciting and I'm learning as I go. Getting better each block (I hope).

Have a blessed day....NM Lady

pdjewelrylady
September 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
clap clap clapping hands!! they are wonderful!! :)

NM Lady
September 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM
clap clap clapping hands!! they are wonderful!! :)

Thank you so much! I'm glad they are ok.

patticakes
September 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
We are going to have some great blocks so far! Can't wait til the swap!

craftyladysam
September 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah right! They will be the best yet bc we'll be making them in our sleep! I've made two and now I look at them again and I see where they don't line up! Hope to take pics for you to see as soon as I make an opposite one. I went right out and bought solid white thinking that would be the star when I get something in my little brain it doesn't matter what is right it's what I thought was right. Must do things to fast or something.LOL:D Got it right now. Wait till you see the beautiful white with pine needles and glitter on it I got today it is beautiful!

middlesis1966
September 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Wow Im a silly girl. Im like where are her blocks. Theres no link to click on. I went to your page, still now pics. I was like a how did the other gals see them. Is there a secret that I just didnt know about, lol. Then it hit me duh go to the group page, duh!! Walla thier they were. :lol: Good job.

Lisaau
September 12th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Guys l need to ask how much fabric is required for this swap ...l'm a beginner so l dont have a big enough stash trying to decide if l'm going to join or not l'm in Australia...thankyou

pdjewelrylady
September 13th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Hi Lissa,
about 3 yds of each colorway - figured on 16 sets of blocks.
for each new player - add 6.5" of each colorway fabric. ;)

Lisaau
September 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks Suzi but what is tha tin metres roflol ...us aussies are use a metric system

pdjewelrylady
September 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM
:icon_rolleyes: sorry - can't help with that - ohhhhhhhhhh Dragonfly ?? can you ? help?? pleeeeeease :icon_cool:

Lisaau
September 13th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Thats ok l did a search and l think l've worked it out to be 2.1/2 mtrs per color ....so if l use just 2 colors it would be 5 mtrs

Dragonfly
September 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM
:icon_rolleyes: sorry - can't help with that - ohhhhhhhhhh Dragonfly ?? can you ? help?? pleeeeeease :icon_cool:
:lol: Sure no probs, 1 yd = 92 cm so 3 yds = 275 cm or 2.75 m. That said I think Lisaau will be fine with 2.5m, this is about what I have budgeted on. I'm using fat 1/4, 12 (3m) of each colourway will get me 36 blocks with some leftovers, so you should be close.

What's really funny here is that our blocks are going to go all the way to America in order to come back to us in Australia. :icon_hihi:

Dragonfly
September 13th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Thanks Suzi but what is tha tin metres roflol ...us aussies are use a metric system

And whats funny here is that I, at least, buy my fabric by the metre but everything else is still done in imperial (non metric) measurement. I even measure my quilts in inches and then decide how many metres I need for borders and backing. All my rulers, even those made here, are in inches, my mats are a combination of inches and cm but I use the inches, all my block sizes are in inches and I've only ever seen a very small number of patterns, even Australian ones, in metric. I'm sure the US influence on quilting plays a large part in this but the reality is that inches and quilting go hand in hand. I think it will be a very hard habit to change, hence why even Austalian made items are in inches. :icon_eek:

Lisaau
September 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks Dragonfly ....I'ii go look at spotlgiht and see what l can find ...I dont know if you know but spotlight has a christmas quilting event on thurs its starts at 3pm for VIP members................If l get 3 mtrs of 2 fabrics l should be ok??????and l'll need to make 32 blocks???? is that right

Dragonfly
September 13th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Yes that should be right. The only nice white that I found was from Spotlight and they only came in the fat 1/4 packs, they are white with a pretty silver print in 3 designs.

Lisaau
September 13th, 2010, 05:26 AM
ok so those fat quarters from spotlight are ok for this swap ???? their only bout $3 each .....how many would l need?

Dragonfly
September 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM
.....how many would l need?
I bought 12 in the white / silver, so 4 of each of the patterns my store had, the coloured fabric I am using from yardage.

jrchapman
September 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM
And whats funny here is that I, at least, buy my fabric by the metre but everything else is still done in imperial (non metric) measurement. I even measure my quilts in inches and then decide how many metres I need for borders and backing. All my rulers, even those made here, are in inches, my mats are a combination of inches and cm but I use the inches, all my block sizes are in inches and I've only ever seen a very small number of patterns, even Australian ones, in metric. I'm sure the US influence on quilting plays a large part in this but the reality is that inches and quilting go hand in hand. I think it will be a very hard habit to change, hence why even Austalian made items are in inches. :icon_eek:

We have exactly the same problem in the UK. You calculate your requirements in inches and then covert it to metres to buy the fabric. Even the UK pattern designers use inches even though European rules state that fabric can only be sold in metric measurements.

At least I can still buy a pint of beer!

Dragonfly
September 13th, 2010, 08:25 AM
At least I can still buy a pint of beer!

:lol: Yes we can still walk into a pub and order a pint of beer even though we are metric, but if you look at the glass it says something like 375mls, which in anyone's language is not a pint...jipped! :icon_angry:

jrchapman
September 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I just want to double check I've got this right (having a bit of a blonde moment). We have 16 members at the moment so does that mean I'm making 32 blocks - 16 with white stars and 16 with white background?

Dragonfly
September 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM
This is my understanding, yes, although I'm not sure we have heard from a few of them since they signed up, perhaps everyone could pop in and say hi so we know they are still busily sewing blocks :D:icon_happy:

NM Lady
September 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
This is my understanding, yes, although I'm not sure we have heard from a few of them since they signed up, perhaps everyone could pop in and say hi so we know they are still busily sewing blocks :D:icon_happy:

Popping in and still sewing blocks.

Yes, I believe that is correct so far. We could still have a few sign up since the cut off isn't until Sept 15.

Lola2Ace
September 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Lola here! :icon_wave: Still busily and happily sewing blocks! I am being rather successful at completing 2 blocks a day, chain piecing several sets at a time, at different stages keeps confusion to a minimum, so each morning there is a set ready for that last seam to be sewn. Starting the day with a completed set is a great morning!! I am up to 12 blocks done!
A tip I've come across in stitching them, remember to sew your 2 1/2 in blocks one direction for the 4 inch rectangle and the other direction for the 6 inch rectangle (like Jenny says in the tutorial!), I am using Little (block) to the Left as a reminder.....and also press those seam allowances opposite directions and it will help your blocks nest nicely when sewing them all together.
Lola

jrchapman
September 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I just wanted to check because I had a marathon cutting session last night and my stack of 2.5" squares looked awfully big but I suppose you use 8 for each block so that might explain it.

Starting to piece tonight - excited to see how they look. :)

hillbilly
September 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
You are all going to be waiting on Hillbilly again...at least we have a while til mail date! I still need white or cream fabric...that first paycheck comes the 1st...yay!!

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I just want to double check I've got this right (having a bit of a blonde moment). We have 16 members at the moment so does that mean I'm making 32 blocks - 16 with white stars and 16 with white background?

HOW MANY?! :icon_eek: *faints* ------ THUD!

pdjewelrylady
September 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
You are all going to be waiting on Hillbilly again...at least we have a while til mail date! I still need white or cream fabric...that first paycheck comes the 1st...yay!!
:) just checked with Natalie at MSQC and she is looking around the shop for white focus :) YAY! gotta love that :) They do have a realy super cute cute cute snowman fabric .......... check it out :)

Lisaau
September 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM
G'day All l'm going to join the swap as well and l'll do my best to get everything done l'm a newbie quilter ....nice to meet you all

Dragonfly
September 14th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Lisa have you signed up for the swap? If not go up the top there to where it says "Groups", click then click on the Christmas block swap and go to the "get signed up" option.

Lisaau
September 14th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Yes Lynn l did that thanks for your help :)

Pat Miller
September 14th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Is the tutorial on the site for the Christmas Star block? I could not find it, if it is posted. I'm not sure what the "Swap" is. Could someone help me understand.
Pat

Texsam
September 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
HOW MANY?! :icon_eek: *faints* ------ THUD!

:icon_mooooh: I'm may being fainting with you soon! :icon_heh:

Dragonfly
September 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Maybe we need to split it into two groups. :D

Lola2Ace
September 14th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Pat and welcome to the MSQC forum! :icon_wave:
The tutorial for the star block is on youtube, there are a few tutorials there that aren't on this site.
Here is the link for the star, but make sure you check through all of them at youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORH13QQKoWs&feature=channel
The swap is really fun, it's my 1st as well but I am loving making my blocks to share.
You would make 2 blocks for every person that is signed up. Using Christmas fabrics, a white focus (with a print) and a colored print, making 1/2 of your blocks with the star in white and the background in colored print, and 1/2 of your blocks with the star in colored print and the background in the white print. Watch the video and it will make more sense, but please ask if you have more questions!
Lola

pdjewelrylady
September 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
WhooooHooooooooooo :D we are going to have the MOST awesome incredible star blocks on the planet!! :)

Texsam
September 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Is the tutorial on the site for the Christmas Star block? I could not find it, if it is posted. I'm not sure what the "Swap" is. Could someone help me understand.
Pat

I know it's on YouTube. If you go on there and look for Missouri Star Quilt Company. Jenny does the tutorial with the Kona Solids jelly roll. Here's the link to it. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORH13QQKoWs

Texsam
September 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Pat

never mind

pdjewelrylady
September 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Maybe we need to split it into two groups. :D
:) I was just thinking the same thing. :)

Here is my idea: we will leave the group as it is until midnight on the 15th. Then I will create a second swap group and by some random selction (or alphabetically) divide the current group in half. I will play in both groups and if anyone else would like to they can...... jlmk :)

What do you ladies think?? Does that make it more doable for everyone??

Dragonfly
September 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I will create a second swap group, divide the current group in half. I will play in both groups and if anyone else would like to they can...... jlmk :)

I think this is a great way to do it, that way for the ladies who were feeling a little daunted or who may have been having budgeting problems with that much fabric, they can breathe a little easier.

That said I will be happy to play in both groups so long as not too many of us do that or we will be back at square one. :lol::icon_razz:

patticakes
September 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Here is my idea: we will leave the group as it is until midnight on the 15th. Then I will create a second swap group and by some random selction (or alphabetically) divide the current group in half. I will play in both groups and if anyone else would like to they can...... jlmk :)

I am good with whatever the group decides. Would hate to see people drop out.

Lola2Ace
September 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I agree with whatever works best for all involved.
Lola

Lisaau
September 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thats fine with me will make it easier 18 blocks instead of 36.. :D:lol:

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM
:icon_mooooh: I'm may being fainting with you soon! :icon_heh:

Sheila! I know, right?! :lol:

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 14th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Uhhhhhh ... too late! :icon_neutral: Besides, I want a block from EVERYONE particpating, they're SO special that I don't want to not have a single, one! :D

pdjewelrylady
September 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Happy Happy Happy Dance!! WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOO :icon_woohoo:

jrchapman
September 14th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Uhhhhhh ... too late! :icon_neutral: Besides, I want a block from EVERYONE particpating, they're SO special that I don't want to not have a single, one! :D

I think it may be too late for me too. I already cut fabric for 32 blocks so I think I'm going to have to cut some more rather than let them go to waste.

pdjewelrylady
September 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
YAY!!!!! the more the merrier i say!! yippppppeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

middlesis1966
September 14th, 2010, 11:45 PM
This chick here likes material things. Like that, :lol: So I have no problem being in all the groups just let me know when where and HOW many!!!

NM Lady
September 15th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Waiting on my material to get here to finish the blocks. I believe there is enough for all the blocks.

pdjewelrylady
September 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Sounds like we are staying with one group and 17 players :icon_happy: YAY!!!! I love it I love it I love it :icon_happy:

patticakes
September 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
So at midnight tonight we will have our final member count? This may be a silly question but if we end up with 17 then we make 34 blocks - one set for each member, then do we keep one set for ourselves and send out the 16 other sets? Sorry I'm a newbie at doing a swap!
Can't wait to see all the beautiful blocks!
Patti

pdjewelrylady
September 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Patti :)
yep, that is how it works. You will be mailing the completed blocks to me (will post address later on the group pages) and then I switch and swap them and mail them back to you......... when you get them , you will put them all together in a wonderful fantastic fabulous new quilt! YAY!!!!!! I am so looking forward to that!! :icon_happy:

sally
September 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Suzi,
Me not so smart either. I am sending you 16 sets or 17 sets. PS. I like the idea of getting blocks from everyone. It will be like getting a great Christmas present for around the world!

pdjewelrylady
September 15th, 2010, 12:09 PM
:icon_kiss: yes 16 sets if we have 17 players cuz you make and keep a set for you :D

craftyladysam
September 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hey Guys! Yes, I'm sewing two aday. Here,s a picture for ya'll.

NM Lady
September 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hey Guys! Yes, I'm sewing two aday. Here,s a picture for ya'll.

These are beautiful!

jrchapman
September 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
The Scottish blood in me is loving the tartan!

Dragonfly
September 15th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Scottish blood in me is loving the tartan!

:icon_bigsmile: I was thinking the same thing, love tartan. Not the correct tartan for me but what the heck it's really cute.

sally
September 15th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Och new...Tis a bonnie thing the tartan. My maiden name is Wallace... as in the movie Braveheart!
Have a great evening everyone!

RockyMountainHorseMama
September 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Och new...Tis a bonnie thing the tartan. My maiden name is Wallace... as in the movie Braveheart!
Have a great evening everyone!

LOVIN those blocks and who doesn't love Tartan?! Yes, I too have some lovely Scottish blood, YAY! Funny part is, I'm equal parts Scottish and Irish! :lol:

I'm actually getting excited coz I'm focusing on all the different places that I'll be getting blocks from, SEW SPECIAL! All the time and affection everyone is putting into each block makes them so meaningful. Can't wait to see how the quilts come together!:icon_woohoo:

NM Lady
September 15th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Well today is the 15th and since I don't know what time zone we're going by, going to check first thing in the morning to see how many blocks we're making.

I'm soooooo excited! Ready to get the rest of the material and get to work!:icon_happy:

patticakes
September 16th, 2010, 12:02 AM
pdjewelrylady - Thanks for the info on the block swap total! It will be so exciting to get all these different blocks and see what everyone makes with them!
Saundra - your blocks are beautful! I am so into pinecones this year. I even went out and picked up a whole basket of them to set on my patio!
patti

pdjewelrylady
September 16th, 2010, 01:29 AM
:D Its official - we have a group of 18 ladies currently sign up for this swap. :D
Myself (pdjewlerylady)
dragonlady
nm lady
rocky mountain horse mama
sally
texsam
craftyladysam
patticakes
jrchapman
lola2ace
lissau
joleen
middlesis1966
hillbilly
keepstiching
johnsonhouse4 - confirm please
pat miller - confirm please
sewshort - confirm please

:icon_cool: The last 3 ladies on this list need to confirm participation - please message me within next 24 hours or respond here that you are ready to make star blocks

(18 sets of 2 = 36 blocks) YAY!! these are turning out so pretty! be sure to post pictures as you are completing yours on the group home page!

ladies - We are going to have some incredible quilt projects when they are swapped ! :icon_woohoo:

craftyladysam
September 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks Patti! The pictures don't show the sparkle on them. I just fell in love with that fabric. Whats wrong with us loving fabric so? I'm sooo excited about this swap and all the different ones in it. I'm thinking of making a wall hanging of mine or a throw to use only at Christmas. Can't decide how to put my name on mine. Got any ideas?:D

patticakes
September 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Saundra - I know the gold sparkle in the fabric you have in the "tartan" block as it is the same as in one of my sets of blocks! They should go good together.
I am not sure how I am going to sign either. I don't want my name to show up much, just a subtle thing on the block.
With 36 blocks I figure I could make a couple things, of course a quilt, maybe a wall hanging and table topper. Or I could fashion them into a tree skirt and think of you gals every holiday! Oh the possibilities!
patti

pdjewelrylady
September 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
36 beautiful fun Star Blocks will make a really nice queen size center OR 2 sofa quilts and a couple pillows to match OR wallhangings OR (thanks Patti) the tree skirt idea is fun OR window treatments for sewing room OR OR OR Or ororororororo..........is it novemeber yet?????? lol :icon_cool:

Lisaau
September 16th, 2010, 08:16 PM
NNNNNoooooooooooooo it cant be November yet l'm only 1/2 way through my 1st star

Lisaau
September 17th, 2010, 10:14 AM
ARGH!!!! the first 1/2 of my star went together beautifully but l'm having so much trouble assembling the bottom left hand side of the star tearing my hair out......its taken me 3 days ...how am l going to make 36

hillbilly
September 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
ARGH!!!! the first 1/2 of my star went together beautifully but l'm having so much trouble assembling the bottom left hand side of the star tearing my hair out......its taken me 3 days ...how am l going to make 36

Once you do get the hang of it, they will go fast.

Lola2Ace
September 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Lisa, what is wrong with the star? is it something we can help you with?

Lisaau
September 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I finally figured it out and l was pressing it with my iron and now l've got a brown stain on the fabric l cant win

pdjewelrylady
September 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM
YES you can! :icon_hug:
It is just little pieces of fabric - we will help you (and everyone else that needs a little help) figure out how to put them together and create beautiful fun happy Stars! :icon_cool: In a few days, weeks, months, years you will be looking back on today and laughing!! ....... trust me, we have all been where you are and some of us will be going back again! :icon_mooooh:LOL :lol:

Lisaau
September 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks ((((((((Suzi)))))))) let me take a quick pic and show you hang on

patticakes
September 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Keep at it Lisa, it gets easier as you go along! I had an "ah ha" moment when I realized the whole star was just make up of the same block made 4 times and then sewn together. Once I figured that out I could chain stitch all the parts of several at one time, Then press and start the next step on all of them. It is just the way you lay that same block down that forms the star (if that makes sense!).
As far as the brown stain, I have a little pucker in one of mine due to a cutting mix up on on little square, but that will be one of the ones I keep. Once it gets made into a project no one but me will know its there!
Hope everyone else is having as much fun and I am on this!
Patti

NM Lady
September 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I finally figured it out and l was pressing it with my iron and now l've got a brown stain on the fabric l cant win

Lisa, I'm brand new at this too. I have 4 blocks that won't be sent, but learned a lot from them. Keep at it, it does get easier AND these ladies are really awesome and can help you with any problems.

It took me a long time to figure out that what they were saying about chain piecing was true. Once I got it through my thick head what was going on, they are going together a lot easier. Each block is made up of 4 blocks that are exactly the same, just turned different directions.

Good luck!:icon_tup:

craftyladysam
September 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Lisa you won't believe the trouble I had in the begining. Cut up all the fabric wrong size then sewed them wrong then realized I had the wrong thread on and on till I got it. Now it's a breeze. Keep trying it'll come together.:D

Lisaau
September 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone ..l just added 2 pics to the groups pages so you can see

pdjewelrylady
September 17th, 2010, 01:10 PM
See my comments under your pictures :) We CAN figure it out - no worries :D

Lisaau
September 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Ok well for now l'm going to bed its 2.13am goodnight and thanks everyone:icon_wave::icon_hi::o

Lola2Ace
September 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Lisa,
I have a set of blocks at just about every stage of stitching together.
Would a picture of all the stages help you at all?
I have to work tonight, but could get pictures Saturday a.m. and post them.
Lola

pdjewelrylady
September 17th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Ok well for now l'm going to bed its 2.13am goodnight and thanks everyone:icon_wave::icon_hi::o
Have a good sleep and we will talk on skype when you get awake again. :) be sure to connect your webcam :)

pdjewelrylady
September 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Lisa,
I have a set of blocks at just about every stage of stitching together.
Would a picture of all the stages help you at all?
I have to work tonight, but could get pictures Saturday a.m. and post them.
Lola
Lola - post some pics on the group home page - would love to see your progress :)

Lola2Ace
September 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Suzi,
I will get some pics tonight when I get home from work, if I can get the lighting to cooperate or
1st thing in the a.m.
Oh, and Suzi.......I would loooove to know your favorite color????
Lola

Keepstitchin
September 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
How many are we up to?

Lola2Ace
September 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM
:icon_hi: Laurie,
We are at 18 members so that makes 36 blocks each.
That is a final count, I believe, because we are past the cut-off date.
Lola

pdjewelrylady
September 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
:icon_hi::icon_whistle:Any one wondering what 36 (18 sets) of 2 colorway Star Blocks looks like laid out on a queen size bed? I just posted my picture on the group homepage!!

:icon_woohoo:I LOVE THEM!! !! May have to just put these together for me and start over with new blocks for swapping :D

NM Lady
September 17th, 2010, 03:34 PM
:icon_hi::icon_whistle:Any one wondering what 36 (18 sets) of 2 colorway Star Blocks looks like laid out on a queen size bed? I just posted my picture on the group homepage!!

:icon_woohoo:I LOVE THEM!! !! May have to just put these together for me and start over with new blocks for swapping :D

They are beautiful!!!! Great job.

johnsonshouse4
September 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Those blocks are beautiful. Im only half way done. Will try to post some pics this weekend.

Keepstitchin
September 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM
:icon_hi: Laurie,
We are at 18 members so that makes 36 blocks each.
That is a final count, I believe, because we are past the cut-off date.
Lola
Thanks Lola!

Keepstitchin
September 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM
WOW! The samples are fabulous!! Great job ladies!

Lisaau
September 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Good Morning All ......Lola if you wouldnt mind doing that l'd be so grateful.....And suzi my husband had a look at some of the pictures and he pointed out what l've done wrong so can l have an IOU on skype for now l'll look at the pics Lola has kindly offered to take and have ago at making another block see how l go..... And it might sound silly but l also realised that each block or point of the star long and short forms the shape of an "L". Thanks everyone for your help.

pdjewelrylady
September 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM
YAY!!!! You can do it!! :)

craftyladysam
September 17th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Lisaau Here are pics of my star as I am putting it together. Maybe this will help.http://Christmas star Blocks

craftyladysam
September 17th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Well I didn't get it to workhttp://Christmas Star Block Maybe this will.

pdjewelrylady
September 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
half way done. Will try to post some pics this weekend.
GREAT!! lookin forward to seeing yours :) reminder to post on the group home page please :)

Lola2Ace
September 18th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Lisa, here are some pics of the block construction. I apologize for taking so long and such poor pictures. I had to work over a bit, and the lighting in my sewing room leaves a bit to be desired.
The first 3 pics are smaller sections, the top is the 2 pieces that are sewn together--the bottom is after they are sewn. The 4th picture is the 2 halves of the block and the 5th pic is after the 2 halves are sewn together creating the whole block. Let me know if this is any help at all to you and if there is anything else I can do to explain better or take a better picture in the morning.
Lola

You should be able to click on the pics to enlarge them

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture128.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture128.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture129.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture129.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture130.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture130.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture131.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture131.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture132.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture132.jpg)

jrchapman
September 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Lisa, here are some pics of the block construction. I apologize for taking so long and such poor pictures. I had to work over a bit, and the lighting in my sewing room leaves a bit to be desired.
The first 3 pics are smaller sections, the top is the 2 pieces that are sewn together--the bottom is after they are sewn. The 4th picture is the 2 halves of the block and the 5th pic is after the 2 halves are sewn together creating the whole block. Let me know if this is any help at all to you and if there is anything else I can do to explain better or take a better picture in the morning.
Lola

I just had a browse around your album. I love your Mr. WappyHands Monsters. They are so cute!

Lisaau
September 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM
((((((((((Lola)))))))))) thankyou so very much for going to all that trouble..thats a great help thankyou

Lola

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture128.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture128.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture129.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture129.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture130.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture130.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture131.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture131.jpg)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/th_Picture132.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/?action=view&current=Picture132.jpg)

pdjewelrylady
September 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Lola - these are great pics of the piecing process! thank you - can you post in the groups page too please so we will have there. Oh and I also love the monsters! did you make one in orange? :)

Lola2Ace
September 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Suzi, I can go over to the group page and post the pics, not a problem! Thank you for saying they are good pics. I took them at about 2 a.m., but was glad to get them done so Lisa would have them somewhere in her today!
I do believe there had been an orange Wappy Hands Monster, but he was delivered to the
nurses at the clinic at our Children's Hospital.....but there could be another orange one in the future!
LOL LOL is orange YOUR favorite color????
Lola

pdjewelrylady
September 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I love all colors but yes, yellows and oranges are favorites. having 2nd stage macular degeneration everyday i can see any color is a blessing. :)

jrchapman
September 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm half way there, I've done all my coloured star blocks. I've put some pictures on the group.
;)

pdjewelrylady
September 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yipppppppeeeeee - They are FABULOUS jr!! :icon_woohoo:

Pinky
September 19th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Oh ladies this looks like sew much fun! I wish I could have participated in this. Maybe the next one. *Sigh*

jrchapman
September 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I've just noticed there a two of the same block on one of my pictures. I must have missed one out...

I'll post another picture.

Lisaau
September 20th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Ok guys l re tried the stars and l've posted two pics in the swap photo area ....Let me know what you think ??? :icon_heh:

Lola2Ace
September 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Lisa, those look so much better. You have to be so happy that you kept trying and it worked out!
Remember each one will get better and easier and to press after every seam.
Wow, keep up the good work and I love your color choices.
Everybody's blocks are beautiful and I can't wait till I get mine back in the mail! Of course, I have to finish stitching these to share 1st. It was a busy busy week last week and I have fallen behind on stitching, so I have to make up some time this week!
Lola

Lisaau
September 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Thankyou Lola:icon_heh::D yes l'm very happy l finished sewing it together and said to my husband " look ...I did it I did it " hahaha..........My husband checked my iron for me to make sure it was ok so l wouldnt burn it again. I keep gazing at the star to make sure l really did it roflolmao

NM Lady
September 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
They are beautiful! I'm so proud of you that you didn't give up.

sally
September 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Good job Lisa!

craftyladysam
September 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Way to go Lisa!:icon_wave:

jrchapman
September 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Fantastic! It pays to persevere I can't wait to see the rest.

sally
September 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hey gang we have a new one on board. Pinky from Alberta Canada. Don't know what are total count is now. Some haven't been heard from since they joined. Suzi can you give us a number of blocks sets required including our own?

pdjewelrylady
September 20th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Everyone please welcome our newest block swapper! Pinky - to the swap.

the numbers stay the same - we have 18 confirmed players - YAY! :icon_happy:

*there are 2 ladies i have not been able to confirm with - they are in "limbo" right now and are not included in the head count......

jrchapman
September 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Yay!!!! Hello Pinky, welcome to the fun.

patticakes
September 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Welcome Pinky!

Dragonfly
September 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Pinky,
Welcome to the chaos/fun, hmm, a little of both me thinks. :D It's good to have you aboard, I look forward to seeing your blocks.

Dragonfly
September 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Lisa I knew you could do it, slowly but steadily wins the day, your blocks will be great.

NM Lady
September 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Welcome Pinky!

Boy, just finished cutting 26 more complete blocks since my material got here this weekend. That's exhausting.:icon_bigsmile:

Looking forward to start sewing tomorrow evening. Hopefully 2 blocks a day, we'll see how that goes.

Have a blessed day!

sally
September 20th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I am SO glad we have until Nov 1st. I am trying for 2 blocks a day barring any booboos!:icon_crazy:

Lisaau
September 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks Everyone ...............Welcome Pinky:icon_wave: .................Sally l'm really glad as well .....

pdjewelrylady
September 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
For me it works best not to precut all the little squares and strips - just cut enough for 2 blocks (1 set) at a time - that way I am not feeling overwhelmed by how many i "still have to go" .......... i can think about just piecing those 2 blocks not the other 20 that are waiting for me - know what i mean? ;)

sally
September 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM
For me it works best not to precut all the little squares and strips - just cut enough for 2 blocks (1 set) at a time - that way I am not feeling overwhelmed by how many i "still have to go" .......... i can think about just piecing those 2 blocks not the other 20 that are waiting for me - know what i mean? ;)

I feel the same way. One block at a time. When I did cut out the fabric in advance I messed up my colors so now I cut and sew.

NM Lady
September 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I am SO glad we have until Nov 1st. I am trying for 2 blocks a day barring any booboos!:icon_crazy:

Oh geez! I'm hoping for no boo boos, but that is the reason for purchasing so much more fabric is all the boo boos made on the last set.

pdjewelrylady
September 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM
here's to hoping no one has any more booboos!! :D

Lisaau
September 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM
ok l added a pic of a star number 2...... l did tonight the background fabric is off white / cream with gold flecks through it and the star fabric is marroon with gold holly leaves printed on it

Lola2Ace
September 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM
Welcome to the block swap Pinky!
Lisa, your star is beautiful! You will have them flying off your machine now!
I have fabric cut for 30 blocks, so just 3 more sets of 2 to cut out. I used a clothes pin to keep my sets separated before they work their way into my stitching lineup, which is working out well.
I tend to procrastinate on the cutting part, so once I got started, I cut all that I had fabric for. I got
more fabric last week, but was waiting on the final count to finish cutting, but will do that tomorrow.
My cutting is so much better that I actually enjoy it now, no more putting it off!
Lola

Lisaau
September 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks Lola

l'm kinda slow at the moment its 1 star a day but l'm aiming for 2 a day. But l figure if l can at least do 1 a day l should be fine. I really like these two fabrics together and the colors are so much richer in real life. I said to my husband earlier that l might have to go and buy some more and make something for our bedroom with them. Also can l please thank everyone for your help in helping me understand how to make these . I've never sewn before apart form the hand sewing l'm making for my class let alone used a sewing machine before and l've had it for years and never used it.:lol:

Dragonfly
September 21st, 2010, 09:20 AM
ok l added a pic of a star number 2 ...... marroon with gold holly leaves printed on it

Oh Lisa that holly fabric is lovely, I can see why you would want something made from it. Your star is great, you are going to be so good at them when you are finished. :icon_happy:

Lisaau
September 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks Lynn My local shop has a section inth emiddle of the store with fat 1/4's laid out in rows and they rang from say $1 up to $5..........this holly leaf fabric was only $3.50. I got my 5 fat quarters 2 of the holly fabric and 3 different onesa all at that price. So if l'm gonna make something for our bedroom l'll need fair bit more and the cream fabric is from spotlight the xmas fat 1/4's...:icon_heh::icon_heh:

patticakes
September 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
Lisa your star is beautiful!

I read about cutting the stars one at a time and I could not agree more as I went cutting crazy and did not pay attention that I was cutting too many of "light to dark" and not enough of "dark to light" so I have extras that do not have a match. I even kept a list and still screwed it up. Boo hoo...LOL! I need more fabric so I will pick up enough to make the one to match. Here's hoping they still have it. If not, I will have some extras to play with.

Made about 5 blocks last night despite the migraine I have had for 2 days. It is relaxing and did not seem to bother my dull pain.

How is everyone else doing? Some members are so quiet.....

Lisaau
September 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM
WOW !!!! You made 5 stars lol :lol: ...l'm so slow l'm cutting them as l go l'll try and make 2 tomorrow.I understand about making a booboo with cutting and l'd probably be the one who does it roflolmao:icon_rolleyes: I cant wait to see everyone elses stars and yes a few are being quiet l feel like l'm hogging the board.

Lola2Ace
September 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM
Lisa, you are not hogging the board, but I know I feel like I am sometimes! It's just so great to have so many nice friends, I just want to join in the fun!
To keep myself straight when cutting fabric for 30 of the blocks, I just made a master list. What I needed for each set of 2 blocks. I just followed that along for each fabric. But, I only used 2 fabrics, so that made it much easier to keep straight, I'm sure! Then I just used the clothespins to hold each grouping together before and after sub-cutting. I am hoping to get the fabrics cut for the last 6 blocks tonight or 1st thing tomorrow morning, today is my 'Granny Nanny' day, so no cutting or sewing for me. Ace loves to fabric shop with me, so we may head out for a quilt shop!
Lola

pdjewelrylady
September 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
oh lisa, these are wonderful! good job and congratulations on pushing yourself to just do it! :) this is so great :) I love to hear your story of bringing your machine out of hiding - makes it even better! :icon_cool:

Lisaau
September 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks suzi .....

l'm trying to make 2 out of each fabric combo and mixing them up with different fabric l hope that is ok ........l think l would get bored very quickly if l didnt keep using something different for each set....I just cut up fabric to make 2 stars tomorrow. I've been buying fat 1/4's to make my stars that way its doesnt cost alot of money all at once and my husband doesnt have a heartattack.

Anyhow its 12.47am wednesday morning time for bed here in Australia bye all have fun :icon_wave::)

craftyladysam
September 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Lisa!!! Love the fabric!!!! That marron with the gold leaves is gorgous! See why you may want some for the bedroom!! Great job!:D

pdjewelrylady
September 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
:icon_attention:
Your attention please! anyone LURKING on the swap - let me know... we have room for a new player!!
:icon_bump:

craftyladysam
September 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Suzi, who did we lose? This special deal thing is sure messing up . I can't get to the deal page and when I did last it only had one'clock deal what happen to 2::00 and 3:00 deal?:icon_heh:

craftyladysam
September 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Oh never mind I forgot the time difference. LOL:D:D:D giggles

pdjewelrylady
September 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM
pat will not be able to play this time but will be looking forward to the next swap - early spring (march) is what i am looking toward........... :D

patticakes
September 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
Lisa - don't worry- you are not hogging the board! I love it when I check the board and there are new posts!

Too bad we lost someone! Hope she can play next time!

I tried to check a couple times for the Deals but figured they must have crashed or something. Will keep trying cuz I think it is fun to see what's next on the clearance list!

Off to pick up alittle bit and then I maybe I can sew a few stitches before the BF gets home!

patti

NM Lady
September 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM
Added blocks made of my 2nd set of material. on the group photos. Now have 12 blocks made!!!!!:D

Lisaau
September 21st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Lying the floor having heart palpatations and fanning myself ...I turned on my computer and my internet wouldnt connect. I thought I was gonna collpase coz l couldn't come to the board. I had to turn my modem off and on ..... Looks at Suzi and says quick get me a drink a good long stiff one hahaha.

Joking !!!

patticakes
September 22nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Added blocks made of my 2nd set of material. on the group photos. Now have 12 blocks made!!!!!:D

Just checked it out and I love your blocks! 12 done is great! I wanted to sew last night but never got to sit down......just too busy!
patti

pdjewelrylady
September 22nd, 2010, 12:31 PM
{{Picking Lisa up}}
I was not able to get on here much yesterday either........... everyone was so excited about the deals of the hour i guess but i did have fun makeing more stars !! :icon_cool:
Have something else new underway tooooooooo YAY! I love working from home, frees up my time to sew! :D:lol:

sally
September 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Good morning, afternoon depending on time zone...lol
Got another block made last night. Aiming for two but I had the worst headache yesterday so one is better than none. I love making the blocks. Everytime I finish one there is such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. :) When I am done my blocks I am going to work on finishing my quilt made from the summer block exchange. Plus I have a quilt top I started for our bedroom, plus a couple of rag quilts...hmmm I think I am going to be busy...busy going CRAZY:icon_crazy:

Texsam
September 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
Did we end up with 17 or 18 people? I see the count is 17 in the group section, but want to make sure I do enough blocks. Thanks!

pdjewelrylady
September 23rd, 2010, 01:36 AM
Stay with the 18 .......... looking forward to hear from ukquilter if she wants to make the blocks with us ..... how are yours coming along Sheila? post a picture or two :icon_cool:

pdjewelrylady
September 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
Stay with the 18 .......... looking forward to hear from ukquilter if she wants to make the blocks with us
:icon_woohoo:18 it is!! Everyone please welcome ukquilter to the group!! :icon_woohoo:

Lisaau
September 23rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
G'day and Welcome Ukquilter