PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in plums

BellasQuilts
July 16th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Here is the amount of plum jam I made from only some of the plums I picked from one side of the tree. Last year I tried to make plum jam and only did 1/2 the sugar. It was horrible and runny. This year it tasted much better and gelled better too, but there is no way I will be able to make jam out of all the plums this year! Ay yay yay! there's a lot.24763

Bubby
July 16th, 2012, 12:49 AM
That's a good amount of jam! I like to give jars of my wild plum and elderberry jelly at Christmas along with a loaf of homemade holiday bread. It's good to have it on hand.

K. McEuen
July 16th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Red plum jam is my favorite. It's even hard to find in the grocery store out here. The only brand they carry in that flavor is SMuckers.

My dad used to make jam from his plums too. My mom didn't do it so he learned how.

auntiemern
July 16th, 2012, 03:14 AM
That is one of my favorites. I can usually find some at local farmers markets. Between the squirrels and the birds, my plums don't stand a chance.

bakermom
July 16th, 2012, 03:22 AM
They look good! We had plum trees when i was a kid. mom used to can the plums. we would have stewed plums in the winter-not really one of my favorites.
however, she worked with a German lady that made plum kuchen. it was fantastic. She didn't give out a recipe-it was one of those things she just "knew" how to make.

mamaquilt
July 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Good for you Bella.
Here in Luxembourg we won't have any plums at all this year, the same goes for walnuts. All the blossoms of the trees froze.
So we'll be on a plum diet this year.

Monique
July 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Mmmmmm. Give everyone a jar for Christmas. I did that last year with Million Dollar Relish I had made.

CrazyMtnLady
July 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Yummy! I will hop on my broomstick and be right there to take some of those plums off your hands!

alwaysinmyroom
July 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I find that Pomona brand pectin is the best for setting up if you plan on using low sugar or artificial sweetners. It includes the calcium that is needed by the pectin to set up in each box.

Your jars of plum jams look fantastic! I can see using it put over cream cheese...yummy! or ice cream...or over pancakes...where did you say you lived? ha ha You might get some unexpected visitors... :D

MRoy
July 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I love plums but I've never had plum jam or jelly. It looks yummy....I'm thinking it would be great with hot, flaky biscuits!

janluna
July 16th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Myrna, anything is good on hot flaky biscuits! LOL Your jam looks delicious Megan. I haven't had plum jam in a very long time. My Grandmother used to can all the time. She also made the best picante sauce and her pickles were to die for. I wish I had learned to can. I was always afraid I would give someone botulism because I didn't seal the jars right.
Oh well, maybe someday. Hugs, Jan L.

BellasQuilts
July 17th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Well, it cooled and I stuck one in the fridge. It tastes fine, but it is still runny. Not as runny as last year, but geez Louise, how do you get it to set up? The apricot jam came out absolutely perfect without the pectin. I didn't want to over cook, but since I have plums coming out my ears I am going to make a smaller batch and mess with the pectin, plums just must need a lot. I added a bit of grappa (just a dribble) as grappa is good for keeping away bacteria, etc.

Jan, it isn't that hard really. I washed the jars in warm soapy water, then I sterilized the jars on the sani rinse in my dishwasher, didn't touch lids, etc. after sterilizing with my hands just the tongs, and then boiled the jars in water for 10 minutes. I heard happy pinging as the jars sealed themselves. I am told this is sufficient to not kill anyone with botulism!

bakermom
July 17th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I wonder if you added a bit of apple to your plums. I believe apples and quince have a lot of natural pectin, might help it set up better.

rebeccas-sewing
July 17th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Plum jam sounds divine, Bella. Making jam sounds like such a relaxing and rewarding activity. i've made strawberry jam in years past. It was lots of fun. You can't beat California strawberries! How nice to have a producing tree in your yard. Do you parboil them to get the skins off, the way it's done for tomatoes? I'm really missing the country. I'm lovin' London but I think one more year and I'll be ready to move to the country. I wish I was rich. I'd love to have a place in the city and a place in the country - best of both worlds for this gal.