PDA

View Full Version : breakfast casserole

debquilts2
July 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Would like a recipe for the breakfast casserole. Can anyone give me one please??
Thanks

DCM
July 15th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I have a breakfast strada that I've made with many different ingredients and always get rave reviews -- I don't like eggs so I've never eaten it but it's fun to make and reheats well in the microwave, too.

Sliced bread with crusts trimmed off
Margarine - tub margarine but not diet
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups grated jack cheese
1 can (4 oz) Ortega green chiles, chopped (optional)
6 eggs
2 cups milk
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dry mustard

Spread one side of each piece of bread with margarine and line the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish with one layer of bread (number of slices needed depends on size of slices -- you may need to cut some slices in pieces to completely line the bottom of the pan) with the margarine side down. Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly over the bread, then sprinkle the jack cheese evenly over the cheddar cheese. Distribute Ortega chiles evenly over the cheese. Add anything else you wish: diced ham, chopped asparagus, mushrooms, black olive slices, onions, artichoke hearts, crisp crumbled bacon, browned and crumbled sausage, etc. Beat eggs in a bowl, add milk and spices, beat until blended. Pour egg mixture evenly over cheese. Cover and chill overnight (or at least 4 hours). Heat oven to 350 and bake casserole uncovered 50-60 minutes until browned and egg is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. NOTE -- when I add veggies I saute them a bit before adding them to soften them a little and to get a bit of the moisture out of them.

Bubby
July 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
It sounds really tasty!

K. McEuen
July 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
And another, uses frozen hash browns instead of bread.

Ingredients

1 (1 pound) package bacon, diced
1 sweet onion, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup chopped green bell pepper, or to taste (optional)
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, or to taste (optional)
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cook and stir bacon and onion in a skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain grease, reserving the drippings.
Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with the reserved bacon grease.
Combine the cooked bacon and onion, eggs, hash brown potatoes,
Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, bell pepper, and
green chilies in the prepared baking dish; stir to combine.
Bake in preheated oven until the eggs are set firm, 35 to 40 minutes.
Let casserole cool 10 minutes before cutting to serve.

Sandy Navas
July 15th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I do one similar to Karens but I also add chopped up pre-cooked link sausages instead of the bacon. And, if you want to cut back on the cheese, half it and add a can of cream of mushroom souop.

quiltingtrish
July 16th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Easy peasy one I use alot.

Ingredients:
Either sausage, ham, or bacon (cooked)
6 pieces of bread
6 eggs and 2 cups milk

Cook meat, drain grease. Layer the bread in a 9x13 pan. Mix the eggs and milk. Pour that over the bread. Put the meat on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, bake at 325 for 1 hour, covered. Bake another 15 minutes, uncovered. DONE!

Hugs,

Divine Daisy
July 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I have toast........ I can give you the recipe for that if you like.................? Ducks

K. McEuen
July 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I have toast........ I can give you the recipe for that if you like.................? Ducks

Reminds me of my grandma (who was pretty out there when she was living with us) who would try to make my mom feel guilty before they were going on vacation (and not taking grandma) by answering the question "What do you want for breakfast mom?" with "I'll just have toast. Dry toast." in the shakiest, most frail voice you ever heard. Of course grandma ate like a trucker while my parents were gone. I had to go to the grocery store on day 3 and we should have had enough food for a week.

Winniesfriend
July 18th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Ok I have been educated, never heard of a breakfast casserole before but the recipies do sound interesting.

ncgrammie
August 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I’ve done one similar to Karen’s but without cottage cheese, peppers or chilies and with cooked sausage and a sprinkle of bacon on top. Wow. Occasionally at Christmas, I will put this in a crock pot Christmas Eve and breakfast is ready on Christmas morning. Everyone goes wild. I should do that every year. It is a simple way to make everyone happy. That's rare with a large family:)

bakermom
August 5th, 2012, 03:18 PM
i started making mine in bread pans a few years ago. i wasn't happy when they didn't get done enough in the middle. It works out great. you can easily slice and heat up the leftovers.