PDA

View Full Version : We have done something that could turn out to be crazy!

Divine Daisy
July 15th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Mr Daisy and I were talking last night about 'home' and both feeling a little homesick. There is a very special place for us, wild, windy and full of happy memories both for us as a couple and for me with the kids as they were growing up. It is a wild rocky bay on the coast of Northumberland, it looks out onto the north sea, the geology is amazing and the atmosphere spooky and stunning. On the top of the cliff is a cottage. We always said that one day we would buy this cottage and just be a part of the place we love so much.

Well obviously we can't buy the cottage lol but we discovered that we could rent it for a week! So we did!! It sleeps 6 and my eldest daughter and her partner are coming with us. Howick Bay is the place where Heather first became facinated with rocks and geology. She remembers it with such love it always bring a lump to my throat when she talks about it. It was my special place as a child and I took her there first when she was small. She will tell you that Howick Bay is the reason she is a geotechnic engineer.

Anyway, we booked the place........ in............. january!!! LOL LOL . We are totally insane! The weather will be freezing, the wind will be blowing us off our feet, but the seas will be high and rough, the air will be fresh, we will need a gazzilion layers and walk around like spacemen in their suits lol. But oh my it will be so amazing to be there, blow away all cobwebs and memories of a terrible couple of years.

We are putting our faith that Mr D will be well enough........and me for that matter. One of the hardest things on this journey of ours has been not being able to plan anything. One or other of us always in treatment, ill or about to be ill, never being more than 20 miles from an olcology unit. It has been so restricting our heads have been rebelling. So we have taken the risk of booking this. He should be 5 months out of chemo if all goes to plan (touches wood).

This is 'our place'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northumbrianblue/4716743222/

This is a photo of the house on top of the cliff..

http://www.northumberland-tales.com/Bathing-house.html

and this is the detals of it.
http://www.northumbria-byways.com/viewitem.aspx?id=93

We are so excited!

KerriS
July 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Oh, that looks absolutely amazing.
I perfectly understand yout longing for this place.

I always said, that if I would come to a lot of money I'd buy a small wooden house in south-sweden where I can sit and watch the sea all day.

Your photos look so wonderful, I would love it there too

So I hope for you, your family and especially for your dear Mr.D that you can spend a wonderful time there in January.

lilmouse
July 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
That would be awesome....love the views...grew up across the sea from Lake Michigan so I totally understand what you mean....will keep you both in prayers so you may go and thoroughly enjoy yourselves...bring plenty of "woolies"! Love you both

Claire Hallman
July 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM
How absolutely beautiful. I also hope you are all well by the time your stay rolls around. You might be wanting to take a stack of quilts with you.;)
This might also be an opportunity to heal the wounds with your daughter [the bride/mother].

cyndiofthevortex
July 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Sooooooooooooo happy for you! This place is unbelievable! I hope you have the time of your lives.

BellasQuilts
July 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM
How beautiful! My hubby is a hydrogeologist, so he would love this place too, no matter what time of year! I hope you have the vacation of a lifetime. I'd go at the drop of a hat for sure.

KiltedQuilter
July 15th, 2012, 12:34 PM
AMAZING! I am excited too, looks lovely!

Divine Daisy
July 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
How absolutely beautiful. I also hope you are all well by the time your stay rolls around. You might be wanting to take a stack of quilts with you.;)
This might also be an opportunity to heal the wounds with your daughter [the bride/mother].

My youngest daughter wont be coming unless she changes her mind about me before then. There is soace for her, her husband, baby and the dog if she does. I am not holding my breath

Genny
July 15th, 2012, 12:48 PM
OH this took my breath away! How beautiful!!! You and your family are going to enjoy this so much and I'm betting this will improve both of your health!

DCM
July 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM
It looks absolutely amazing. It will give both of you something to look forward to -- a reward to get you through all the medical issues you're dealing with now. What a wonderful idea -- I hope you have the time of your life. I don't think it's a crazy idea at all.

HandsOffItsMine
July 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Alison, the cottage and locale is breathtaking. I can see why Stewart and you have a special place in your hearts for it! The North Sea can be so beautiful, we have some spot off the Dutch coast that I truly miss from my childhood.

Hope your other daughter comes to her senses, but at least you'll have fun with Heather/Partner! :)

Prayers and healing light for both of you every day from Don and I.

Huggers, Ruby and Don

Cellomom
July 15th, 2012, 01:03 PM
So beautiful! Hope Mr. Daisy will be strong and your family will have an amazing time in that gorgeous place.

Sandy Navas
July 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Alison and Stewart. Faith, hope, promise, courage, and just a wonderful love of each other make this possible - and we know you will have a fantastic time. I am truly envious because I could move right in there without taking a second breath. What a fantastic place for healing - in more ways than one. I love it, love the two of you, and don't know how you are going to keep a lid on your excitement until January arrives. Perhaps without the trials and tribulations the two of you have faced hand in hand, you may never have moved on this dream.

Monique
July 15th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I have tears in my eyes. Well said Sandy. I too can see why you would want to go there. It is breathtaking. I think you have a lot of wonderful friends who would go in a heartbeat if they could, including me.

How wonderful that Heather and partner are going. Maybe, just maybe, your other one will come around before then. But it will be her loss if she doesn't.

You both WILL be well when January comes around because I INSIST.

Now you know what this means, lots of pictures and accounts of your time there.

I am just so thrilled for you all.

K. McEuen
July 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM
It looks like a place that stories are written about.

Make sure and write some of your own. Enjoy!

Bubby
July 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
What a breathtaking setting. It looks like a house in a movie. The photos are incredible....thanks!

Blondie
July 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
My dear Ms Daisy,
Truly, this place looks magical . After you and our dear Mr Divine vacate it, all of we'uns here in the MSQC forum should book it for ourselves. Of course, you can call me a dreamer. I always have been and always will be. And YOU ARE TOO.

Both of you are very wise to shuck off the rest of the world and unwanted baggage and do this. Yay!

Hugs and blessings,
Blondie

sewbizzy
July 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Praying that you are both well enough to go and enjoy this holiday...I have only been on the forum for a short time, but have followed your story...what courage and a great attitude you have...life is a series of obstacles, high and lows...you have had your share of lows...more time for the highs!!!!
You are both really loved here on the forum....
your pictures are so stunning of this vacation site...I agree it reminds me of so many novels I have read!!! I would love to visit there someday, too!!!
Blessings to you and Mr. D

rebeccas-sewing
July 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I'll keep fingers and toes crossed that all goes well and your vacation will go as planned. What a gorgeous place!

twnkeyes
July 15th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I admire you and Mr. D so much! Look to the future not at the circumstances you are enduring right now!!! I LOVE the look of this place! My husband's mum is celebrating her 80th b/d in September, we're booked in a renovated farm home in the Cotswolds. I LOVE England!!! I'm so happy for you all, it will be a memory never to be forgotten.

Klasien
July 15th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Amazing!!!!

What a great place, and what a great thing you booked it!!!
It reminds me of all the books I have been reading that took place in England.
There is one Nicci French book that could be written with this house in mind......this is how I pictured it.

I hope you have a wonderful time, and both healthy and strong enough to go and ENJOY!!!!!

madampolo
July 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Your country is truly beautiful, and this spot is amazing. I just hope the winds aren't very strong during your stay so that you can walk about without much trouble. I hope the both of you are in good health by January!

auntiemern
July 15th, 2012, 03:52 PM
What a great idea :) I am convinced everyone will be up for the trip. With all of us here praying for you and Stewart, and your amazing faith, positive attitude, and ability to take things as they come, good or bad, it will be the trip of your dreams. Will boost my prayers for you into hyper speed.

stitching woman
July 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM
What a spectacular place to spend time with family! I wish for you and Mr. Daisy good health and a most awesome time away from doctors and all medical issues. You both have been quite an inspiration to so many of us here with your positive upbeat attitudes. May God bless you both.

cherokeerose
July 15th, 2012, 04:19 PM
What a wonderful get-a-way. I am fairly new to the forum and I have been reading your post. If any two people deserve a peaceful place to recoup it is you and Mr. Daisy. Prayers that all goes well for the both of you so you all can enjoy this wonderful cottage.

pcbatiks
July 15th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Wow, this place looks amazing Daisy. What a beautiful view...I agree with the others, it does look like a setting from novels I have read. What a great trip to look forward to with your husband and family! You both have been in my prayers and I will be praying for you a safe and memorable trip in January! It will be wonderful!

Donna F
July 15th, 2012, 04:37 PM
That is one beautiful place. I'm praying all goes as planned. How could it not with half the world praying about it? I am so very happy yall did this you both really need it. Enjoy the excitement and happieness of looking forward to this trip. Heck, I want to go it's so gorgeous!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM
WHat a wonderful dream to take with you over the next 6 months. The time will fly by fast you must have dreams like this to look forward to. Prayers with you for good health for you both!

CrazyMtnLady
July 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
That is wonderful! I will keep you in my prayers for a very wonderful vacation.

janluna
July 15th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I am so happy for you Alison! You and Stewart so deserve a break. What a beautiful, magical place. God Bless you all. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Ginny B
July 15th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Wow! What an amazing place. I certainly do not think that you are crazy for booking it. It will be an awesome trip for you I'm sure.

Ginny B

NanaB
July 15th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Alison, that is such a beautiful site. It looks like something out of the movies. I expect to see Heathcliff coming in from the foggy cliffs!!!!! You will have such a wonderfully restful vacation. You both deserve it.

Poppytree
July 16th, 2012, 02:05 AM
That is one amazing place (I know, cos I've been there too). Northumberland can be wild any windy at any time of year - we had some great holidays there in August!

It would be a real dream come true for both of you and a place to create some more very special memories.
That's not crazy idea - that's LOVE!

phoots
July 16th, 2012, 02:29 AM
OMG!! Daisy, I love it!!! Please take me with you!!! I promise I won't be a bother!!! I'll even share a room!!! Or sleep on a couch!!! I can deal with weather...I LOVE WEATHER!!!!!

Pam in Vegas

BTW - Daisy, the cottage is beautiful!! And the scenery is to die for!!! I'm sure you'll have a great time!!! I'll pray that you and him (Mr. Daisy, the lucky man) are in awesome health!!!

denisecolli
July 16th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Sounds great just what you need to blow the cobwebs off literally lol. I love Northumberlands rugged coastline. Fingers crossed for the weather and health . Go and enjoy

mamaquilt
July 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Well done, Mrs D. That is the place dreams are made from. Such a wonderful place! I'll keep everything crossed (not while sewing though) and hope that you're able to realize your vacation well earned.

Thanks for sharing. I bookmarked it for our next stay in England. Right now we're already accoustumed to the rain and the winds here in Luxembourg too

Michèle

Winniesfriend
July 16th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Wow that place looks amazing, I so hope all goes well with you and you can enjoy your holiday.

csarina
July 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
What a wonderful cottage, I can see why you want to go there, and that stove will make it so cosy even in winter, thats one thing I miss from the cottage, the wood burner.

I am sure both of you will be fit enough to go and will have a wonderful time.

Take care.....

Madeforyouinma11
July 16th, 2012, 08:45 AM
It is absolutely, amazingly, beautiful! It looks like something from a fairy tale. You and your family will have a wonderful time and sometimes the crazy impulses in life turn out to be the ones that we cherish more than the long thought out decisions.
Good for you! :)

Divine Daisy
July 16th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Poppy, this is where I grew up, this is home. We miss it so much. I dose of home air (wind) will do us good

Luvngrammy
July 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
How beautiful..even in January! This place looks like something out of a movie scene..I pray you are all well enough to go and enjoy this wonderful view!

alliek
July 16th, 2012, 09:38 PM
It has always been my dream to go to a place like this. God Bless you Miss Daisy and Mr. You will remember this always. You will have a wonderful time listening to the wind at night singing you to sleep in your cozy cabin filled with love.

Meli
July 16th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Daisy, after having looked at the photos, I've reached a decision: I shall be getting my passport, saving my pennies, and crashing your party! LOL Ok, we both know that's not going to happen. Still, it looks lovely and I know you'll have a wonderful time!