PDA

View Full Version : latest knitting projects

mamaquilt
July 14th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Just finished my 4th "saving-socks" and a hen. As it has nothing to do with quilting, I just posted them here.

I started on an appliqué baby quilt and have to finish it before October. It takes some time as I want to do it all by hand. Let's see how far I'll be on the due date. It took already a whole afternoon to cut out all the different pieces.

As it is raining here, might as well continue sewing after I make that cheesepie.

greetings from the rainy Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle2465024651

Bubby
July 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hi Michelle...Good to see you on the forum. I LOVE your savings socks..what a darling idea! I wish I could knit socks and I have always intended to take a class when I locate one. I can knit until I make a mistake and then I'm lost. Your hen is really cute, too! Take care, Barb

GrammaBabs
July 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM
These are wonderful!!!! I have never seen anything like it.... do you have a pattern or is this your creation... I'm floored... i've never made "socks",,, hoping this might be the year... i started a Christmas stocking by Nicki Epstein,, and got as far as the "heel"... there is either an error or i'm mis-reading.... it's a sock with super embellishment... (her signature, and i love that stuff)....

I think i'll snap a few pictures of things i've made over the past month.... people here must think i do nothing,,, but the hands are always going.......B

Sandy Navas
July 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Michele - I love your socks! DD knits socks all the time. Question, what did you use for the slots in the top of the socks? My DGDs would all love these.

I just recently found that you were in love with chickens - don't know why that hadn't caught with me before - and have to say I always have wished that was the decorating theme in my kitchen. I'm stuck with big red apples though - love them, too! I found a pattern for a baby chicken pincushion (there go the pinnie ideas, right?) and had DD make me one. I'm not sure which pinnie I'm sending for the swap though. However, the baby chick is adorable and I found special little baskets at the thrift store that are the perfect size for him/her to sit in.

Love your hen!!

Genny
July 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM
These are so cute! I've never seen them before, what a great idea.

madampolo
July 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I have never seen savings socks either. If you put coins into it, it will make a good weapon. What is a cheese pie?

K. McEuen
July 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I just saw a coin purse made out of a sock the other day at Hancock fabrics. I like your socks much better! Those would sell great at a craft fair.

Beach Cottage Quilter
July 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I've never heard of a "Savings Sock" but love the idea...thanks for posting these they are Fantastic. Where did you get the tops (money slot)? I have a few socks I knitted and was never able to use them because even though they are the same pattern they don't look it! lol Oh, the hen is Cute too! Thanks for Sharing.

bakermom
July 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM
what a cute idea! i've never seen anything like that before. I knit, but never made socks-I'm afraid i would get one done and that would be it
i have enough "only" socks as it is.

Winniesfriend
July 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
So cute, I have never seen saving socks before either, I can knit but am so slow I dont get things finished :(.

mamaquilt
July 14th, 2012, 08:48 PM
thanks for all your nice compliments.

Actually it is very easy. All you have to do is knit one sock, from left over wooll. You may make errors in the heel or whereever, as nobody is wearing them.

The top is wood. I bought it at a fair here, but a somewhat talented person is able to do them. There is a carving all around, to hold the sock in place. That is also where I glued the sock to the circle. As I was writing this, I thought one could also use a plastic cap from a milk bottle or something a bit larger. If it would be sort of rifled all around it would also hold the sock.
Filled with coins those socks could easily be a weapon. That's true.

Hope I could answer all the questions.
@madampolo
Sorry it should have read cheesecake. Here it is

@Sandy
a couple of more roosters. Like the biger one in the window. It is also made of wood.

Have a good night Michèle :icon_wave:

auntiemern
July 15th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I love the saving socks. What a great idea.

Lenie
July 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM
These socks are so cool, I love them. What a great idea!