PDA

View Full Version : Saturday hellos

Blondie
July 14th, 2012, 06:29 AM

Good Morning from this side of the pond. Smile for it's Saturday! I work this morning and will be home with happy thoughts in my head. I need to go to the grocers, pack some stuff to go back down to Mom's for the next few days and voila! This week she will get her second cataract surgery, the week after that the heart monitor comes off and then I am on easy street. Hello lumpy old mattress of mine!

Is there anyone on this forum that has completed a Master Gardener course or is knowledgeable of flora and fauna? I have a few mystery plants that I would like to figure out what . . .? I really have a few weeds that I absolutely adore but know in my heart that they are a weed. Hmm, I call them my misplaced bloomers.

Looks like we had another shower overnite. Thanking the Lord for the recent rains. Our 'maters are coming on strong now. Talk about delicious.

Have a wonderful day and weekend!

Blessings, prayers and loads of SMILES.

RFREE
July 14th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Good morning Blondie and all my other quilting buddies.Prayer for you moms next cataract surgery Blondie.Hopefully she will sail through this time with no problems. You talk about your maters.We have had no rain to speak of for weeks now and a "Brandy wine" tomato plant I planted here while back I assumed had no tomatoes on it and I just hadn't looked at it in weeks.Holly came in all excited to tell me there are 3 at least the size of grapefruit turning.I went out and sure enough huge tomatoes on the vine.Need less to say I was shocked. If any of you haven't tried Brandy wine tomatoes you gotta try them. They are the best tasting tomato you can grow. It is an air-loom however you spell that.Try them next year you won't be disappointed.
Hope everybody has a wonderful weekend. I am sure we will find something to get into.
Hugs
Rhonda

buckeyequilter
July 14th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Good morning.....

Blondie....praying that all goes well with your mom's next surgery.

Rhonda....I've seen the Brandy Wine tomato plants but have never planted any - might give it a try next year. Did you know that Beefsteak tomatoes are also an heirloom tomato...I didn't know that until recently - we had a guy in to repair the internet at work and he said he plants heirloom vegetables and that was one of them. I was wondering why I couldn't find those tomatoes in the greenhouses. This year we planted Roma - for juice and sauces and a larger (such as big boy or something - I forget what I chose) for eating fresh....yummmm!

I am going to go to the hospital to see Mom...my sister called to let me know mom was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia, it worries me because she's 78 and doesn't bounce back like she used to.

Not much else on the agenda today - I'm going to finish up a block for Douwe...so those can go in Monday's mail. I think then I'll work on the pinnie. I am going to start moving some of my stuff to my new quilting room (DH's shop).

Everyone have a wonderful day...prayers and hugs to all.

Bubby
July 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Good Morning,

I got up at 3:30 and have been sewing and ripping on the Missouri Star block for the QOV. I'm near the end of my patience with it.

We got some rain last night in the form of a wicked electrical storm...that's partially why I'm up so early. We are taking the weekend off from working at the apartments. DH is totally exhausted from his week at work and working this weekend would be too much for him I'm afraid. We also need to shop for him some new work boots - no small task fitting his foot.

Blondie, we will save your spot for you here while you are with Mom for her sugery next week! Monique does a good job starting our daily threads.

Rhonda, I will try Brandywine next year. I've seen them but have never bought any. We are having a bumper crop of tomatoes, but many of them have blistered due to the extreme heat we've had. If they all come ripe at the same time I'll have to pull out the canner and get to work.

I hope Jean is having a ball at the Sisters Quilt Show....you go, Girl!!!!

Prayers going out for all our friends here. Have a wonderful Saturday...Barb

Sharon G
July 14th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Good morning ladies!

Oh, how I long for the summer to come!
Hope you all enjoy your 'maters while we are down under freezing our little buns off. Our turn will come for the much loved summer sunshine :D

Blondie, good luck to your dear mum for her next surgery. My mum had the surgery 2 years ago now and it is the best thing she ever did! Her vision is better than mine!

Plants are only weeds when they are growing in a spot where you don't want them to be. If you like 'em, let 'em be! (Well that's MHO)

Have a great day everyone!

Monique
July 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Good morning everyone.

Barb, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Blondie, hope your mom's surgery goes well and things return to some kind of normal for you all. I will fill in when you are away. LOL!! p/s I joined the Christmas swap.

Still no rain in sight. Fire bans all around. Why is it the weeds don't die too in this heat?

I was out of commision yesterday. We kind of had an impromptu birthday bash for hubs on Thursday. I was feeling a little under the weather for most of the day yesterday. That should learn me huh? LOL! Back to normal, or what seem as normal to you all. LOL!!

We are invited to a BBQ at a friend's tonight. Invited to a BBQ tomorrow for my brother's birthday. WOOHOO no cooking for this gal.

Well off to do SOMETHING, just not sure what yet.

Have a great day everyone.

Patrice
July 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Good morning all. Got an email from my sister. My mom suffers from Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home for the last couple years. She is moving into the stage of sleeping all the time and is now on all soft foods. My sister could always get some kind of response from her when she heard her favorite music. So she always takes her iPod in with moms favorite songs. She puts the earphones in for here and got a smile from her and then the song closer walk with thee by the mills brothers came on and when it was over mom said "amen". Prayers for all our beautiful moms today.

MRoy
July 14th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Good morning! We finally got enough rain to really help...the corn crop and pastures are greening up now.

Blondie, I hope your mom's cataract surgery goes well this time. My mom had surgery on both eyes too. I stayed with her after each one so we could make sure she got her eye drops on schedule.

Shirley and Patrice, prayers said for your dear mothers today.

stitching woman
July 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Good morning all,

Blondie, Patrice, Shirley and Sandy I wish you and your mothers all the best, prayers coming you way.

We are off the MSQC for the grand opening today, I am sure we will have lots of fun and look forward to meeting some forum members.

Have a great day everyone.

kelliedi
July 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
ladies they are only a weed if you don't want them in your garden.....

LynneLeavell
July 14th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Blondie I hope things go better this go round with your moms eye surgery. Shirley prayers that your mom gets better soon. I'm hoping to get some sewing done today. I've got grandson duties today since my daughter went tubing today with some of her friends and I won't let her take the boys. I realized this morning I still have to get my pinnie for the swap done. The way this month is going it is going to be time to mail it off and I haven't got it done yet.

We have had some mean storms this week and sewing is not fun when it is lightning all around and I sit in front of a window to sew. Also, my oldest grandson is either in my lap or gramps' lap when it storms.

Oh well everyone have a great day and prayers going out to all who need them and even if you don't.

Lynne

denisecolli
July 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Goodstaurday everyone hope alls well with everyones mums, my HA appointed painter covered my sweet peas to protect them from paint however, he didn't cover the pot up so they are now waterlogged have just scooped it out and hope this little bit of sunshine (I am in the UK) dries them out

Sandy Navas
July 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Good morning all. Got an email from my sister. My mom suffers from Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home for the last couple years. She is moving into the stage of sleeping all the time and is now on all soft foods. My sister could always get some kind of response from her when she heard her favorite music. So she always takes her iPod in with moms favorite songs. She puts the earphones in for here and got a smile from her and then the song closer walk with thee by the mills brothers came on and when it was over mom said "amen". Prayers for all our beautiful moms today.

Teary eyed!! I always sing "You Are My Sunshine" to Mom and sometimes, when she's feeling a bit chipper, she sings with me. Those are the good days.

Sandy Navas
July 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Blondie has WEEDS? Can hardly believe that. Funny, when I moved back here 10 years ago there was this beautiful lacy plant growing in some of the existing flower beds. I let it grow and marveled at how beautiful it was . . . and then after blooming I found that it had these weird seeds that had a way of fish-hooking themselves to clothing and then conveniently dropping where ever they chose. Drats. Research showed that it is a WEED - a famous one at that - HEMLOCK! Drats. And now I find it all over the place and I'm constantly pulling it up. Another weed that I love and will eventually have in my garden is the Bird's Foot Trefoil - Sis and I talked about them and she's ordered seeds!!! She's the real gardener in the family - but she can still get down on her knees to pull weeds.

Enough already. Last of the swimming competition today - the little girls are competing this morning and our 11YO is on the slate for this afternoon. Six area teams in for the conference. I wish the girls all well. Even 3YO Zoe is swimming in three events - one is her first relay! That should be fun. She's a real hoot in the water. It was decided some time ago that I would be home all day (tend to heat-stroke) and tend to Agnes. Then the decision was made that Agnes would stay home with Daddy until about 2 p.m. So here I am. May get a few minutes in the sewing room. I think Marilyn and Barb have definitely discouraged me from trying to sew another M* block for the QOV.

Missing a few folksies around here - anyone heard from Brit or Cathy? I'm sure there are many others who are not floating to the top of my brain right now - Deb in KC? If you are checking in and just being quiet, how about a brief note to let us know you are not floundering around in goat berries or up to your elbows in paint splatters, or having a more difficult time with Dad.

The prayers are being uplifted - the list seems to get longer and longer - but I have had a chance to remove a few recently due to success. For those, dear Lord, we're grateful and humbled.

sewbizzy
July 14th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Good Morning All...it is raining here this morning and supposed to rain for several days...
I also send my prayers to all the Mums et al out there...mine has been in heaven for quite a while...
dh and I went to lunch and to a quilt shop yesterday...he looked around with me for a while, then when out to the car..he told me to take my time...I was trying to be good...didn't do too much damage, but came home and placed an order on M*QC...I had to get the extra points and free shipping, too....
"I AM TRULY A FABRIHOLIC " ...
I did do some sewing and will do a little more today...we are having 3 grandchilren for a sleepover tonight...what fun...
Have a great day everyone...

Granny Judy
July 14th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Just getting back from 1. Pancake breakfast with children. 2. getting my hair cut and 3. grocery shopping. My belly is full and I'm sleepy. Seems that happens to me alot these days.. eating makes my eye lids droupy. Gotta stay out of that recliner or I'll be snoring.

Hugs to all the daughters who so lovingly give to their Mums. I pray they have the strength and patience to continue on after the Moms have gone on to heaven. It's now my turn to be looked after by My Children. It's a sobering moment to realize we Mom's are now recieving the care instead of giving it... Circle of Life continues, I guess.

Nothing planned today.. just letting Saturday happen. The rain has stopped and the sun is out.. What a gorgeous day, this one is.
even the bees love it!!

lilmouse
July 14th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Morning all...prayers going out for those that need them and thanks for the successes......on my schedule today is a haircut; normal my sis does it but she has been in hospital for a couple of weeks now; so BF sister is cutting in for me; and then on to work until 7 or 8; run and take care of sis's cat; then home for sewing therapy...will need it by then....hope everyone has a good day....will want to hear results on the swim competition Sandy....good luck to all ....:icon_wave: Susie

auntiemern
July 14th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Good day all. Blondie, Shirley, Patrice, and Sandy, prayers being said for your moms. Got to try to get those dang stains out of my soldier quilt. If that doesn't work I guess I will have to tea stain it, or coffee, since that is where the problem initiated. Wishing every one a blessed day, and prayers for our quilty family that need them. Hugs to one and all.

Sandy Navas
July 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Good day all. Blondie, Shirley, Patrice, and Sandy, prayers being said for your moms. Got to try to get those dang stains out of my soldier quilt. If that doesn't work I guess I will have to tea stain it, or coffee, since that is where the problem initiated. Wishing every one a blessed day, and prayers for our quilty family that need them. Hugs to one and all.

It keeps popping into my mind when you or someone else mentions tea or coffee dying for your quilt - that if the spots don't come out with gentle rinsing and a mild soap that they will become darker when purposefully stained . . . and you will still be able to see them . . .???? No experience with this - just a mind that doesn't slow down at STOP signs.

pcbatiks
July 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM

Patrice, Isn't it amazing what music can do for us all ?!?! Prayers for your mom and all of the other mom's!

janluna
July 15th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Blondie, Prayers for your Mom. My Mom could see so good after her surgeries she didn't need her glasses. Sandy, I used to sing with my Grandmother. All of her favorite hymns. I miss her so much. Blessings and Prayers for all in need. My list is getting long too. {:->
Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

middlesis1966
July 15th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Good evening all!!! It sure has been a busy day all around for everyone. I had a blast with the young girls from church today. We had a combined birthday party for them and it was fun. The woman who put the group together really loves those girls a lot. She had formed a very small group with 3 young girls in our church. She is teaching them to sew along with sharing the Lord with them. I love how God moves in the way he does. I was having a very hard time getting out of the funk I was in. No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of them. Then bam she started posting the pics of their sessions. All of a sudden things started turning around for me. I decided to share this with her. I wanted her to know just how much this meant to me, so she shared it with the girls. Well the next thing you know the girls wanted me to be part of their group!!! It was just what I needed!!! He does move in ways that amaze me daily!!!

Talked with my mom today and she sounds so low right now. It really breaks my heart to hear her sounding this away. I know she's getting discouraged being up there. Its not a good thing as far as her healing to have this stress. I wasn't able to get up there today with all I had to do. This is why we want her closer. This way even if its just long enough to pop in a few minutes we can.

I love how the music can do what it does in so many ways. Praying for all the moms facing whatever it is they are going thru right now and for the children who love them so!!

We finally got some rain, yahoo!. Not much, but I didn't have to water my tomatoes tonight.

Have a great night all!