PDA

View Full Version : Friday and it's the 13th

Blondie
July 13th, 2012, 06:28 AM

Good Morning, Folksies!

It's Friday, it's the 13th day of July, and I am not stupidstitious. Just like having fun. I betcha there will be a slew of scarey movies on tv tonite. LOL.

Whatcha got going on this weekend? I will be at Mom's tomorrow nite until Wednesday. I will be getting home in the mornings to check my email and pm's. No guarantees that I will be posting early but one never knows. I may wake up ready to do jumping jacks without my coffee. And of course, I never have a problem with waking up cheery and alert. Not me! Not!

If you are reading this and haven't signed up for the Secret Buddy Christmas Swap, you need to head over, read about it and sign up. We are going to be having a Very Merry Christmas!

Paula, love you sister. Prayers and good thoughts heading your way. And for our other members here who are in need of prayers, hugs and friendship - you are all so very special in my heart. I promise that I do set aside a specific time each day for this group's prayer needs and then, oh my goodness, you have no idea how many folks here will pop into my head during the day. I will say a wee little pray right then for whatever needs I have no clue of. But our Heavenly Father does.

The mixed berry cobbler I made for Luscious turned out pretty good. Only thing was it sopped up all the juices and was on the dry side when it cooled down. Still, it was very very tasty. I just can't make a cobbler the way my granny did. I don't know what she did differently!

CrazyMtnLady
July 13th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Good Morning... aren't we up and at 'em early today. My animals decided I didn't need anymore sleep. :( Coffee is on but not ready yet.

I won't be on here this weekend. Darling Daniel has a gun show in Branson and will have the computer with him. I will be busy cleaning to get ready for company next Wednesday. It will be so much easier to clean with him out of the house this weekend. But his help putting up a couple shelves and cleaning up the yard would be nice.

Friday the 13th doesn't bother me. I do have a few superstitions but not many.

I do the same thing with the prayers, I will say a prayer when I first get up for all my "quilties" that are in need of prayers and for all others to just stay safe. Then for some unknown reason someone will pop into my head during the day and I will pray for them, as if God is telling me that person needs my prayer.

Hugs and prayers.

Bubby
July 13th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Good Morning,

I've been up for about an hour...definitely not fully awake yet.

We will be working again this weekend at our apartments in Cuba. At least this weekend the A/C will be on. We still have a little debris to clean up from the tornado that went through Cuba last Saturday.

Today I hope to find time to make the Missouri Star block for the QOV group. I can't wait to get started on the blocks for the Halloweenie swap group!

This morning I will make a quick run through the house and tidy up a bit and then off to the grocery store for a few items and then to the sewing machine for the rest of the day...yay!

I'm wishing everyone a great Friday...I'll pop back in later today...Hugs All Around,, Barb

MRoy
July 13th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Good morning! I'll be stocking up on groceries this afternoon so I'll have plenty of food on hand for the grandkids. Taking a day off from work Monday to get them unpacked and settled in. Green beans were canned yesterday...60 quarts total.

ginampls
July 13th, 2012, 09:41 AM
today i am taking DD to the local zoo. then to barns and noble. she wants a new book. so do i. soo gonna be 90 today. stilli will have a good day. got caught up on some of the laundry. so that was good. just 2 cups of coffee for me these days, i am getting so jumpy lately. then i feel so wiped out. so only 2 cups.

Lonna
July 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM
You all are a mighty early group this morning. I stayed in the bed as long as possible this morning. It is something else when there is the slightes little change in the household. Our friend that is staying with us (Sue) has gone home to W.V. for a weeks visit and both of the dogs are lost with out her at night. They spend the day hours with Wayne but at night they go and get in bed with Sue and sleep all night. So last night they were outside our bedroom door all night crying. Wayne got up once to let them in but then they thought is was playtime. So needless to say not a lot of sleep last night.

No big plans here for the weekend we have an auction here at work tomorrow other then that nothing. Hopefully will be able to spend Sat afternoon after work in my sewing room. And maybe most of Sunday. I found a sew along on another site so I will try to get caught up on my squares on that. They are starting on their week six square and I just found them last week and only have week ones square done. It is a beginners sew along so I think it will be a great learning time for me. I believe there are a total of 12 diffrent squares. So I hope to get week 2,3 and maybe 4 done this weekend.

Have a great day my friends looks like the sky is about to open up on us any minute. There is some scary looking stuff out there. Oh the joy of being in an small office that is only about 10 x 20 and large glass window on two sides. Be safe and have a great day all.

Sandy Navas
July 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Did God really listen to all of us, lamenting about the lack of rain? I curled up on the couch late yesterday afternoon and dozed through a thunder-lightening storm that dropped a mere 1/2 inch of much needed rain. The skies are dark and cloudy now and I'm hoping that we are going to get some more. We are so far behind - I feel for all the farmers who are really suffering.

Had a surprise visit from a friend from grade school yesterday. She said she only had a couple minutes to stay but was here almost 2 hours and both of us wonder why we don't get together more often. We laughed, shared memories, and even shed a tear or two. Speaking of which - visited with Mom for a while yesterday and walked out wiping my eyes and my drippy nose. It hurts so bad to see her so tired and I know she is anxious to 'go home'. I wish her a peaceful passing. There is pain in her eyes that I have a most difficult time dealing with. And the workers at the nursing home all have huge wings and gigantic hearts.

No sewing yesterday, but after visiting with Mom I managed a trip to the thrift store where I came away with two brand new quilting books (at least they appear never to have been opened . . . from the 1990's though). Love buying books there because most are under a dollar. One of these is on Americana quilts with history of some quilts, lots of pictures and stories - the most intriguing about patchwork doll quilts. Can hardly wait to sit down and thoroughly devour it. The other is another huge book with patterns on Simple Quilts. Wonderful ideas . . . and no paper-pieced 8" Missouri Star pattern. Drats!!

So, hopefully in the next half hour or so I can retreat to my favorite spot in the house (next to the bed, that is . . . or next to the kitchen . . . there is no favorite!!). Working on the M* for the QOV project today. Wish me luck.

I leave you with this: It is okay to disagree, as along as we agree that it is okay to disagree. Therefore, I disagree but you have agreed, and so have I.

Prayers and rain blessings to all in need.

lilmouse
July 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
It is noisy here....started at 7a.m....the duplex I live in (upper floor) is getting a new roof today and I had to move both vehicles...they had a hard time waking me up...I can sleep through a school bell going off! Running errands today...may go and see my sister. She has been in the hospital for almost three weeks with an extreme drug reaction that resulted in burns all over her body from the inside out! Poor thing....this is her third hospital in two weeks! Have also been taking care of her cat as well..it was crying pitifully last night...just about broke my heart...she misses her mama! Prayers and hugs for all who need them...love you gals and guys....Susie

Cellomom
July 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Happy Friday :) How I do love reading the morning snippets of everyone's day.

I think your prayers covered my DH and me yesterday. My DH's car was carrying our bikes and I was in my car a couple cars behind him. As he turned onto the crazy busy onramp, the bike carrier just bounced off the car and landed on the road. He was able to pick it up with two bikes attached (thank goodness for strong men!!). I was able to stop and park on the shoulder and run down to my DH. You feel so vulnerable when cars and trucks are whipping by so close. I was glad I was wearing a very bright purple tank top on so drivers would see us. Our two border collies were in DH's car and my zebra finch was in mine, so was glad the problem was resolved sooner than later or they would have been ansty! We found the problem and bikes were back up on the car. SOOOOOO thankful no one was hurt. And very thankful the cars immediately behind us were such careful drivers. I appreciate your prayers and thank God for His mercy.

On a fun note, three quilting friends and I went on a FART last Wednesday. What fun, and cool at the beach! Away from the 107 degrees in Bakersfield! We visited some great shops, everyone found some fab fabric that coordinated with our projects (love that!!), and had a relaxing lunch by the big rock at Morro Bay. I'm definitely sewing today. I'm working on a patriotic quilt for next year because we need a bigger one for holiday picnic. :):) Figure if I start now, it's sure to be ready by next year.

Blessings to everyone!

Loonwatcher
July 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Happy Friday :) On a fun note, three quilting friends and I went on a FART last Wednesday.

What's a FART? I mean other than the usual meaning.

This weekend at camp we are hosting the 2nd Annual Vic's Crossing Potluck Block Party". I've planned some Campers' Olympics just for fun. I hope everyone will participate. Should be fun. The weather promises to be very hot so I guess we have to rig up some tarps for shade.

Sandy - Iknow it is so difficult to see your mom like that. I wish I could send you some strength to get through it. The Lord will take her home in His time.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, safe weekend. Rain for those who need it. We do too, but not until after the party please!

Nancy

middlesis1966
July 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I was wondering the same too, Nancy. Just glad to see I'm not the only one who went to that area, lol!
Thanks Blondie for the prayers. Thank You everyone for the prayers.
I've got another crazy busy weekend again. I'm so happy to be back to them thats for sure. I've got to make a dash outa town to pick my relay package up, then dash home and grab a bite to eat, then off to a party for the girls. Then go spend time with my momma!
Have a great day all!! Try and stay cool if your in this heatwave that has set upon us again!

NanaB
July 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Happy Friday, everyone. I don't really have much going on today. Gotta take the 'equipment' back to TimeWarner. Hope I can do it without having to get into an argument with anyone. (I have a VERY short fuse.) Going to meet hubs later today to apply for passports for a trip in September. Had leftover banana pudding for breakfast. YUM! Have a great day everyone. Thanks for continued prayers for all us quilties. Isn't it wonderful that we don't have to name the recipients--He knows our names!!!!

buckeyequilter
July 13th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Gotta take the 'equipment' back to TimeWarner. Hope I can do it without having to get into an argument with anyone. (I have a VERY short fuse.)

Talk about a short fuse and Time Warner....I had to pick something up at the local office one day and the lady there was soooo nasty - I finally said forget it you can deal with my husband. I got home and went stomping in the house screaming...you can go deal with that f'n b**** at the cable company, the TW guy was at the house working on our TV and he told me that they had a lot of complaints about her attitude. I told him that if they wanted to keep their customers they'd better do something about it.....well I guess they did because she's no longer there and the lady that has replaced her is really nice.

Now the weird part is that she was married to my DH's best friend's brother. My DH said he'd only ever heard her called that "b" from Pittsburgh, he couldn't even remember her name. Her daughter is a good friend of my niece. Yes we live in a small town LOL

pcbatiks
July 13th, 2012, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=Loonwatcher;143280]What's a FART? I mean other than the usual meaning.

I knew I had seen a list of abbreviations somewhere...did a search and found them on this forum. Here's the list. My favorite is SABLE!
Abbreviations

BOB = Beginnerís Only Block (swap)
BOM = Block of the Month
BRB = Be Right Back
BTW = By The Way
DD = Darling Daughter
DGD = Darling Granddaughter
DH = Dear Husband, Darling Husband
D9P - Disappearing 9 Patch
DS = Darling Son
DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine
DWR = Double Wedding Ring
FART = Fabric Aquisition Road Trip
FIU = Finish It Up
FMQ = Free Motion Quilting
FMMW = Free Motion Machine Quilting
FQ = Fat Quarter
GC = Grand Child
GD - Grand Daughter
GGK = Grandkids
GS = Grandson
HQ = Hand Quilting
HST = Half-Square Triangle
HSY = Havenít Started Yet
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
LAQ= Long Arm Quilter
LOF = Lengthwise of Fabric
LOL = Laugh out Loud
LQS = Local Quilt Shop
MAQ = Mid-Arm Quilter
MIL = Mother in Law
OBW = One-Block Wonder
PHD = Project Half Done
PIGS = Projects in Grocery Sacks
ROFL = Rolling on Floor Laughing
ROFLMBO = Roll on Floor Laugh My Butt Off
SABLE = Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy
SEX = Stash Enhancing eXperience (or Excursion)
SIL = Son-in-law or Sister-in-law
STASH = Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden
TGIF = Thank God Itís Finished!
TOT = Tone-on-Tone
TTYL= Talk to You Later
UFO = UnFinshed Object
WHIMM = Works Hidden In My Mind
WIP = Work In Progress
WISP = Work In Slow Progress
WIVSP = Work In Very Slow Progress
WIWMI = Wish It Would Make Itself
WOF = Width of fabric
WOMBAT = Waste of Money, Batting, and Time
WOW = White On White
WWIT = What Was I Thinking

auntiemern
July 13th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Good afternoon all you wonderful quilters. Yes, I said afternoon. Did not go to bed til almost 3 AM. I was making blocks for my soldier in Afghanistan quilt. Need to make a few more today, or this evening when DH leaves to go fishing. Gonna try to get some more FR done for the M* quilt for Justin. Done with the actual star blocks, did 2 and just about did me in. Who am I kidding may tackle one more, since there aren't very many peeps in the group. Got some great deals at Joann's yesterday and some really nice pieces at the 3 local thrift stores here. Blessings to all, and prayers for them in need. Have a great day.

middlesis1966
July 13th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Good evening all! I just want to take a moment to say yet again HOW MUCH I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!! There I feel better! Thanks for letting me yell. Not only does my insurance suck, my moms just wants to make us spit. We cant get her moved because of them. Grrrrr we want her closer to us and that was the point of having her go to skilled nursing. She has known about this surgery for a few months now. She knew that she was going to have to go to skilled nurse and was cool with that. Well we were all set to take her home and come to find out the insurance company is dragging their heels. I am so upset for her right now. She is already stressed to the max (my sissies and I decided to not tell her about me just yet) about this that I hate to see her like this to! Ok enough ranting! Have a fab night all!

Blondie
July 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Paula I feel your pain there. Get very very familiar with her insurance benefit package and make sure that you make them do what she is paying for. I am quite the bee when it comes to dealing with drs, insurance, etc. I am firm and very no nonsense. Made my folks cringe when I was on the phone with their health care folks but they sure wouldn't get their ducks in a row. If I was closer I would be more than willing to help you out. And possibly if they (the administrators of the policy) know that this is a stressful thing for her, they would have a compassion clause or something to eek out.

Folksies, I've had a long day as usual. Ready to hit the hay. I don't think I can keep my peepers open to read anymore. Although I did get a spurt of energy when I read about a spotted dick in england. I spewed coke zero out of my nose. That hurts, y'all.

Hugs and blessings. Thanks Daisy for the snorting laugh of the day.

Sandy Navas
July 13th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Paula - Having a degree in Hospital Administration and having worked in the medical field for over half my life, I can assure you that one of the major problems you are currently facing has to do with the lack of formal training with the insurance reviewers. They have no idea what is right and what is wrong - they make independent decisions and if you are not intelligent enough to question them (which I know you are) they get away with millions that they shouldn't have. Our oldest granddaughter went into anaphylactic shock due to the sudden onset of an allergy to sea food. She was rushed to the ER and the insurance said they wouldn't pay because it wasn't an emergency. Give me a break. They sure wouldn't have paid for a burial, either! Blondie and I will be right over.

middlesis1966
July 13th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Come on over girls!!!! Thanks girls for the advice! My oldest sissy is the one who has been dealing with the insurance and the hospital/skilled nursing side of it. It just upsets me that she is there all by herself and can't be closer to us. I knew I shoulda just stayed with her so I wouldn't be this way, but I really have things that needed attention on the home front, so I had to leave her. It just breaks my heart knowing shes all by herself and doesn't know a soul. I know she is a big girl and can make a friends with a complete stranger, but I'm worried anyways. What really frosts my cookies is that yesterday the nurse coordinator had assured us that she was handling all of it and that it was going to be ok. She would be in the 2nd facility without a problem. We were like whew now mom could calm down. I don't understand what happened between 5pm last night to 10am this morning, but it sure went in a different direction. It sounds like we are going to have to get really savey and quickly since shes getting older and will need more care sometime in the future.

janluna
July 14th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Saying prayers for you and your Mom Paula. Insurance companies are terrible to deal with.
Hugs, Love, and prayers, Jan L.