PDA

View Full Version : The first annual Secret Buddy Christmas Swap

Blondie
July 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hello everyone!

I have just started a new group for the FIRST ANNUAL SECRET BUDDY CHRISTMAS SWAP

go over to the group page, look for the group, read the regs and sign up. YAY!

Sandy Navas
July 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I am so excited! White Elephants NOT allowed?

cyndiofthevortex
July 12th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I am definitely in!

Sandy, what if I want a White Elephant? But I really prefer pink. With purple polka dots.

Blondie
July 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Folks,
I inadvertendly click a wrong buttob - thanks Sandy for the heads up. If you tried to sign up and were put off by that, come on back over.

And Sandy, I love elephants. Any kind. hehehe. When I get to heaven, everyone in my family knows I will have my own efflelump.

LynneLeavell
July 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM
But I wanted a Purple Elephant with Pink Polka Dots. Will check it out.

Biglucyfan
July 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Signed up can't wait this is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing.

HandsOffItsMine
July 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Blondie, just what I need after yesterday. Something to look forward to! :)

sewbizzy
July 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm in!!! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!
Thanks Blondie for thinking of such neat swap...

Klasien
July 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I would love to join.........if there is anybody who wants to ship over sea..........
As soon as I know if there is no problem to ship outside the country I will sign up!!

Great Idea, like Ruby said, this is just what a lot of us need at the moment, something fun to look forward to!!!

(((hugs)))

Patrice
July 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I can't wait! Love this idea

Blondie
July 12th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Klasien, we have members here with no problem shipping overseas. Should be a piece of cake!

Patrice, happy to see you with us!

Soon, we will all be singing Christmas carols.

Loonwatcher
July 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I'm so exicited. This will be fun! I love Christmas!

Debbie MM
July 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I joined but going to need some ideas

Sandy Navas
July 12th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I am definitely in!

Sandy, what if I want a White Elephant? But I really prefer pink. With purple polka dots.

Cyndi, watch what you wish for around me . . . I know where you live!! Hee-hee!!

Sandy Navas
July 12th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Folks,
I inadvertendly click a wrong buttob - thanks Sandy for the heads up. If you tried to sign up and were put off by that, come on back over.

And Sandy, I love elephants. Any kind. hehehe. When I get to heaven, everyone in my family knows I will have my own efflelump.

When DD was small they were elpadents. They were just one of the many amunuls we had roaming around the house.

Deneldac00p
July 12th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I'm in too!! should be fun
Dena

auntiemern
July 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Guess my first attempt didn't post. Of course I am in :) My favorite time of year. Last year almost everything on my tree I hand made, and if I must say so myself it was stunning. The wheels are already spinning.

Divine Daisy
July 13th, 2012, 08:23 PM
chews lip ............. I WANT to join! But, but, but.....having an attack of confidence here. A bit worried also about the suggestions for ideas. I couldnt send a 'recipe in a jar' to the US for example, apart from the weight there is the freak out I would get from customs for sending foodstuffs. If that were not the case I would send you ALL some spotted dick just so I could hear you discribe your husband's faces when you told him what his pudding was called!

I could make something but what if it wasnt very good? I could buy something but.......... doesnt seem personal.

HandsOffItsMine
July 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM
chews lip ............. I WANT to join! But, but, but.....having an attack of confidence here. A bit worried also about the suggestions for ideas. I couldnt send a 'recipe in a jar' to the US for example, apart from the weight there is the freak out I would get from customs for sending foodstuffs. If that were not the case I would send you ALL some spotted dick just so I could hear you discribe your husband's faces when you told him what his pudding was called!

I could make something but what if it wasnt very good? I could buy something but.......... doesnt seem personal.

LOL dying about the spotted dick tale LOL

You must, must join in the fun...I can't believe you are worried about something you make not being "good" enough...Ohhhh Pleaaaaaseeee! For Reeeeaaaaalllll! Come on now!!! Anyone would love something made by you!!!

First of all, it's about the thought and the spirit, whether it's made or bought!!!

Join in on the fun!!! Girly, Go To The Group and Join In Now!!!

Lonna
July 13th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Oh come on Ms. Daisy I am sure we would all love anything that you made. I know for myself I really just like the idea that someone took the time to even send me any little thing. Just the friendship of all here is truely a gift.

Divine Daisy
July 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM
LOL dying about the spotted dick tale LOL

You must, must join in the fun...I can't believe you are worried about something you make not being "good" enough...Ohhhh Pleaaaaaseeee! For Reeeeaaaaalllll! Come on now!!! Anyone would love something made by you!!!

First of all, it's about the thought and the spirit, whether it's made or bought!!!

Join in on the fun!!! Girly, Go To The Group and Join In Now!!!

gulps........well thats me told!

Blondie
July 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Oh SNAP, Daisy girl! Join up. Those were just conversation starters, nothing in concrete. You can see how my lame brain thinks. LOL. Anything you make or purchased would be a sublime treasure for the recipient.

And everyone else thinking along the same lines . . . NEVER underestimate YOUR value as a giver. This is the most wonderfully giving group of folks I have EVER in my life known. And I think we are possibly the most grateful as well. Anything goes as long as your wallet can stand it. If it can't, well, anything as humble as some blocks and whatever would be perfectly acceptable. After all, who doesn't like getting something in the mail that isn't a bill, advertisements - and who, wouldn't like seeing some extra gifties under the tree for YOU? If you are like me, I never have had much under the tree; some of you may remember that my birthday is close to Christmas. When I was a child, I would hear: Oh, Christmas is in a week! When I was younger I would always dream of more presents under the tree. Sadly, each of we'uns had the same amount of presents under the tree. It was always 2 gifts. One from Mom and Dad and one from Santa. Sigh. No birthday gifts, no birthday cake, wah, wah, wah. I got over it when I had my own children. I went gaga over birthdays. I even held unbirthday parties throughout the year for anyone under 100 years old who wanted some cake and ice cream, silly pointy hats and balloons. And come November, I always say, the heckfire shoot with the turkey, let's get the Christmas Tree going. I had lots of empty boxes wrapped up pretty and that satisfied some sort of wierd need in me, I reckon. I have learned that my children do the same thing now that they have their own homes. Gee, neat tradition, prettily wrapped up empty cereal boxes. hoo boy.

So, my precious quilty friends, if you are as nutty as I am over the holidays (after all, Christmas is celebrated because it is held as Christ's birthday - say, I even make a birthday cake for Jesus), and you just want to have some fun with me and all the others signed up, then what in the world are you waiting for?

MRoy
July 13th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm going to sit this one out. Christmas is a depressing time for me and, to be honest, it's probably my least favorite time of the year. Have fun everyone!

Beach Cottage Quilter
July 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm with you Myrna Christmas is depressing...as soon as DD picks out what she wants next week all the christmas decorations are going to Goodwill! Most of them still have tags on them and never used. You know what Blondie we never celebrated Jesus at Christmas growing up maybe I will have a birthday party this year. Now to convenience DH...

p.s. getting handmade blocks or pinnie and a handwritten note maybe a Psalm or scripture from the bible would be nice that time of year...

I'm going to sit this one out. Christmas is a depressing time for me and, to be honest, it's probably my least favorite time of the year. Have fun everyone!

Sandy Navas
July 13th, 2012, 10:41 PM

Sometimes (I should know!!!!) we have to swallow what little pride we have and go for it. I know all about not very good!!!

Love!!!!!!!!

Sandy Navas
July 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM

If my old feeble mind does not fail me, I am certain I understand you quite well. We will miss you - but totally understand.

Hugs!!

HandsOffItsMine
July 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM

I understand as well (((Myrna))) and will miss you with Sandy - I'm sure other will as well. You're a good friend here. :)

middlesis1966
July 13th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Is it to late to sign up for the christmas group? If not, count me in. If I can still sign up just let me know so I can get started!

dizzyLiz
July 14th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Please count me in. Blondie I too have a birthday in December and trust me I played it big time as a kid. My folks always tried to get me a store bought Christmas cake for my BD. LOL they always made it extra special for me even on the years we had no money. Myrna as for Christmas being depressing, I understand. I lost my Mom on December 21st. And she lost her Dad ( my grandfather) on Christmas eve. I never fully understood what the holidays must have been like for Mom until after I had lost her. Never once in my whole life did she show the pain she felt or how much she missed her Dad. Christmas was always a joyful time in my family. I have tried to remember this with little success. Last year was the first year I was able to participate in putting up the tree without a melt down. My DH has done many times in the last 18 years. Honestly last year was .... a comfort. I knew Mom was with me in my heart as I decorated...so many things were hers or things she made.

Also I, like most women am a giver. Last year I had one gift under the tree from my family......a fantastic gift LOL. To have something special for me would be quite a treat. So Blondie I'm in with bells on.

Liz

auntiemern
July 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM
The more I read, the more excited I get. Totally understand Myrna and Sandy. Not sure yet how I am going to do, this 2nd Christmas after losing mom. Will keep you in my prayers, that God may lift some of the sadness from your soul. Big hugs to all that need them.

Blondie
July 14th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Good Morning Ladies
Thanks to all who are signing up. And oh yeah, I know Christmas can be depressing for many reasons. So no guilt allowed if you just can't bring yourself to play. Myrna, you know I loves you special - and yes, will miss you participating -
Liz - We buried my Dad on my birthday in 2010. Christmas was a few days after that. I was extremely close to my Dad and I can't even watch old videos with him in them yet. Absolutely not ready for that yet. So yep, can sure identify.
My hubs is a bigger nut about decorating than I am. He is my own Clark Griswold wannabe. LOL.
Okay, so welcome to:
Paula, our middlesis
Liz, who is dizzy
Marilyn, the great auntie
and Allison, our Divine Daisy

MRoy
July 14th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Thank you all for understanding. I love you all and will be wishing you the merriest Christmas ever!

Bubby
July 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun....count me in! Barb

Musical_Starling
July 18th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I'd love to join, as long as nobody minds shipping to Newfoundland, Canada? This will be my second Christmas without my Nan (who was one of my best friends) and the first without my oldest girl (cat) who just left us this past Thursday, so I'd love to get some love and happiness in the mail to help cheer me up!

I absolutely love Christmas, it's my favourite time of year, but after this past Christmas I know how some people can learn to hate it because it can be very hard! I will be sending extra hugs to you ladies this Christmas, because I know you can always use them. Besides, they are free after all :)

K. McEuen
July 18th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I'd love to join, as long as nobody minds shipping to Newfoundland, Canada?

One of the "survey" questions that Blondie asked was if people minded shipping out of country. I think most don't mind, and the ones that do, she would just match you with someone else.

I said I didn't mind as long as someone told me what to do! I'm not sure of all the rules and regulations.

lilmouse
July 18th, 2012, 02:41 AM
That goes for me as well...am will to ship overseas as long as someone tells me what I can't ship....also advise postmaster that you are sending clothes as some homemade fabric items never arrive due to sticky fingers...just some advice!

Musical_Starling
July 18th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Well if anyone has to ship to Canada, it's easy peasy, but don't trust that USPS know what they're talking about lol I had a lady in the US send me my wedding jewelry and it almost didn't make it in time because the employee with USPS told her to leave off the postal code because it didn't make sense to her. Umm, duh, you're USPS and not Canada Post! lol But anything sent to Canada is similar to the US:

P.O. Box or Street Address
City, Province Canada
Postal Code

So for example:

123 Anywhere Street
Somewhereville, NL Canada
A2E 5H7

All that really changes is the zip, it's a postal code with three letters and three numbers. And if you're sending through customs, indicate it's a gift or else your "buddy" might end up paying import fees and taxes on something meant to be a happy present! Hope that helps any ladies sending to Canada who haven't before :)

rebeccas-sewing
July 18th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I'm hearing some serious sadness among you about the loss of your loved-ones. I lost Mom on Christmas Day (6 mos. ago), my birthday. I lost Dad the beginning of December, 21 years ago. Yes, I will be sad when Christmas comes and feeling teary right now just talking about this. However, my mom and dad would be very upset with me if they new I spent Christmas grieving over their deaths. I'm planning to spend time focusing on my loved-ones here and now. That includes whomever I receive for my "secret quilting buddy." Hopefully, that will help me through my grief. I hope you all find ways to ease the burden of your loss. Hopefully, you'll have lots of Christmases ahead of you. It's a shame to think you'll waste these precious moments in your lives grieving. I know your loved-ones wouldn't want that.

Loonwatcher
July 18th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I said I didn't mind as long as someone told me what to do! I'm not sure of all the rules and regulations.

Me too! If I can get it together to mail before we leave camp for the year (mid Oct.) I could just drive over the border and mail from Canada.

Musical_Starling
July 18th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Rebecca, that's a bit of what kept me going this past Christmas. I knew that if my Nan saw me moping around being sad to spend it without her, she'd be back just so she could kick my arse! lol But it was a little easier because I lost her in June, not December. If it had been closer to Christmas, I may not have dealt with it as well. My Dad also had a heart attack on Christmas Eve a couple of years ago, and that was tough too, but thankfully he's still here and slowly getting better :)

The holidays can just be rough on a lot of people for a lot of reasons, and even all of the "joys of Christmas" can't make up for one really bad memory. So I totally understand that some don't celebrate, because it's not easy to smile when all you can think of is an anniversary of something sad.

On a happier note, any ladies from other countries want to tell us how your mailing system works? So then when we're sending off packages we're not keeping our fingers crossed that they were filled out right lol I think we all know about the US and I've explained Canada above, so how about some of you ladies overseas?

Monique
July 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I have already signed up and sent the questionaire back to Blondie. I am so looking forward to this and will miss those who can't participate for various reasons. I too lost my mom Dec 10, 2008. That first Christmas was really hard, but life goes on.

toggpine
July 19th, 2012, 04:08 AM
If you are shipping internationally, check the prices on the priority "flat rate" boxes. Depending on where you are sending, there isn't a weight limit. The cost might be a bit more than shipping the same box nationally, but still cheaper than a do-it-yourself box.
As a former shipping & receiving manager here is some advice.
Type out a packing list of what is in the box. Make two copies. Put one IN the box. The other can be folded up nice and tidy and taped to the outside with the words "Packing List" written on it. The packing list will help avoid the "sticky finger" problem if the box has to be opened going through customs.
Take a photo of the items you are putting in your box to have proof of their condition when you shipped them. The photo will be handy if you have to file a claim.
If the box arrives damaged, don't sign for it until you open it, preferably with the delivery person there. If they dropped it off, take a photo of the damage BEFORE you open the box. I'd actually take pictures even if the delivery person is there. It all supports your damage claim if you have to file one. Keep all of the packing materials until the claim is settled.
I would probably avoid shipping things like fresh fruit internationally. They will bounce that for sure.
Happy packing & shipping!
Cathy

Blondie
July 19th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Cathy, thanks for info and tips I would have NEVER thought of. Now come on over and join in our fun?

quiltingtrish
July 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm joining!! Sounds like fun!

Hugs,

lilmouse
July 19th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Blondie.....are they any rules or guidelines for this Secret Buddy deal...just curious...know what I want to do but don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by spending too little or too much

quiltingtrish
July 20th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Go to The Groups page to sign up and the rules are there. Hope that helps.

Hugs,

Madeforyouinma11
July 20th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Klasien, you can certainly double check, I don't want to overstep but that is question #10. I have to believe that more people than not said they would be willing to ship overseas. It is Christmas after all....and Christmas IS all about the giving. Go join! Now! HURRY!!! It' going to be so much fun. :icon_bigsmile:

Musical_Starling
July 20th, 2012, 03:11 AM
If you are shipping internationally, check the prices on the priority "flat rate" boxes. Depending on where you are sending, there isn't a weight limit. The cost might be a bit more than shipping the same box nationally, but still cheaper than a do-it-yourself box.

I second this idea :) We use the pre-paid envelopes to send packages to MIL and FIL in Alberta and we can stuff whatever we want in there, as long as it fits in that envelope, and weight doesn't matter. We could send them rocks if we wanted to! lol So even if you're sending from east to west or vice versa within the US (or whatever country) you could still check it out because sometimes these things are much cheaper, especially if you're using one of the ideas of a recipe in a jar, as they can get a little heavy and it doesn't take much weight to make the price skyrocket sometimes!

CrazyMtnLady
July 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I understand how the holidays can be depressing for some folks. They have been for me for some time now. But to me this is a way to get out of my holiday blues and get back into the joy of giving and enjoying the season.

Christmas was always the best holiday around my house when I was a kid. Mom would make all kinds of goodies, we had a great REAL tree, company stopping by all the time, it as a Norman Rockwell type of holiday. Then after Mom passed away the family fell apart and Christmas was a tough time. I tried my best to make it a joyful holiday for my girls, but I still missed Mom and the way she made everything perfect. Mom passed away 39 years ago and I still miss her every day! This year I WILL decorate a bit and I WILL enjoy my holiday and praise the Lord.