PDA

View Full Version : Retirements over...

Genny
July 9th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Well guess my retirement is over for a few more months, at least till I turn 62 in April. Last week I applied for a job at our new Walmart Supercenter which opens in August and I start next Monday. They gave me the choice of working 8-5 or 2-11...no brainer for me, I took 8-5. Bet you can't guess what department I'll pick if given the choice...yep...fabrics!

CrazyMtnLady
July 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Well....there goes all the paycheck.....fabrics......:lol:

Sandy Navas
July 9th, 2012, 08:58 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! You won't know what to do with yourself now. Watch out while working - pheromones will work magic on your paycheck. Hope you aren't working 40+ hours a week. Do enjoy!!! I keep telling Al I am going to apply to the Walmart that is only about 3 miles from us . . . I want to be a greeter . . . but he assures my that my mouth would get me fired the first day.

Winniesfriend
July 9th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Fabrics + staff discount --- I hope you get discount, nice combination, hope you enjoy your new job.

nurrsey
July 9th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Benny, I love Walmart super center -I think you made a great choice with the hrs too. Hope they give you the fabric dept!!

sewmuchjan
July 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
WOOOHOOO Good going Genny...Fabric, fabric, fabric!!!! :D

Beach Cottage Quilter
July 9th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Congrats...lots of notions and fabrics to play with all day, Enjoy!

middlesis1966
July 9th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the hours. That was a no brainer for sure. They have redone our fabrics department and man oh man is it way better now. The fabrics has gotten so much better to. I know the price has gone up, but so has the quality. Me and Wal-Mart fabric have had a love hate relationship as of late.

Sandy my mom would be the same as you. Fired on the first day. No one would be able to get in the door. She has lived in this town all her life and knows just about everyone in it, lol. Even the teens know her as Granny Sue and its just so darn cute.

auntiemern
July 9th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Wow, that was a short lived retirement. See how well it is all working out. And possibly in the fabric department. That would be heavenly. When one door closes, another one opens. Congrats :)

Genny
July 9th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I probably won't be lucky enough to get in fabrics...but I can dream!

New York Sue
July 9th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Genny, did you mention you were a quilter when interviewed? You would be such an asset! Often, the clerks in our upgraded fabric department are CLUELESS, and it is ever so apparent they never sewed a minute in their lives!

Genny
July 9th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Genny, did you mention you were a quilter when interviewed? You would be such an asset! Often, the clerks in our upgraded fabric department are CLUELESS, and it is ever so apparent they never sewed a minute in their lives!

No I didn't but I'm going to make sure they know. Even my dh said that if they asked what dept I'd like to work in to tell them fabrics.
I know what you mean about the clerks in fabrics being clueless...the one out here at our old Walmart can't even cut your fabric straight and you have to make sure you get the entire length you ask for.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 10th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I would nevertake home a aycheck if I worked in a fabric store. Have fun!

kelliedi
July 10th, 2012, 01:33 AM
as for the greeters ... they no longer have them..... cutting back on costs....

Bubby
July 10th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Genny,

It would be great if they let you work in fabrics! Our W/M got rid of their fabric department a few years back when they remodeled....in an area that has no fabric or craft stores!! Good Luck on the new job. Now that you got a taste of retirement you will be counting the days to April! Barb

Blondie
July 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Congrats, girlfriend. Of course, you realize you will not be gaining a paycheck but will be building a stash . . .

Blondie
July 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Barb, they may be making a comeback. Our local one has a fabric dept and never lost it although it was a puny row of neglected and nasty fabric. Now it is better. I also noticed in a few other WM in the 50 mile radius that have restocked fabric/crafts dept again. I think the more people asking for it the better? Also, WM doesn't like anyone else to make money off of anything but them. I don't really purchase much from them but do when it is something that looks and feels good at a decent price.

Genny,

It would be great if they let you work in fabrics! Our W/M got rid of their fabric department a few years back when they remodeled....in an area that has no fabric or craft stores!! Good Luck on the new job. Now that you got a taste of retirement you will be counting the days to April! Barb

Claire Hallman
July 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I was surprised when I went to Walmart last week, a nice row of fabric, pretty colors, still wrapped in plastic, no pricing yet. The manager was there with some other guys and I thanked them for getting it back. I asked if they would have anyone to cut it, he asked if I wanted a job. I thought about it for a while and decided I didn't.
They have spiffed up the store [it is less than 5 years old] and there were more employees around than in recent years. I hope the trend continues

Genny
July 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Our walmart almost quit selling fabric a few years ago. Someone started a petition for them to keep it and so many people signed it that Walmart kept it and it's been getting better ever since. I hope its as good at the new Supercenter we're getting.

Jenny Mulhall
July 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Congratulations Genny! Well! What a difference a week makes! Looks like God might have left that window open just a crack, hmmm? ;)

Genny
July 10th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Just found out the job is temporary...guess I'm retired again for a little while. Bummed out...but I'll live!

bobw103
July 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Kellie-the reason they no longer have greeters is that they heard Sandy may be applying...oh I couldnt help myself :icon_rofl: