PDA

View Full Version : question about pincushions

Deneldac00p
July 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I haven't made a pincushion for many years but if I remember rightly, I put a layer of about 1/2" steel wool just under the top. It is supposed to help keep the pins sharp. Do any of you do that? My present pin cushion is about 30 years old and the steel wool has compressed down to next to nothing but it never rusted. I think it is time that I treated myself to a new one!!
Dena

BellasQuilts
July 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Dena, you need to join the Pinnie group ! Go to groups and see all the pinnies we are making.

nurrsey
July 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I hope someone does answer your ? About steel wool because I am in the pinnie group and had no idea about that. Yes, please join the swap, it is so much fun!!

Sandy Navas
July 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I personally do not like nor use steel wool in my pincushions. There was quite a bit of discussion when Blondie started the Pinnie Swap (go to groups and join if you are still interested . . . before July 15, 2012). I would rather stick my pins in a bar of Ivory soap if they are seeming dull - that will lubricate so they enter the fabric easier. Or, dispose of them properly (I have a hole in the top of a medicine bottle and push them through so they won't be poking out in my trash) . . . pins aren't that expensive that they couldn't be replaced if they are too dull to use.

AngelaLashley
July 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I sometimes use very fine grade steel wool or I also use emery powder in mine but depends on my mood

Beach Cottage Quilter
July 8th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Very interesting...I've never heard of using steel wool...just emery powder, walnut litter, fiberfill, and beans.

Deneldac00p
July 8th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks ladies for your comments. Thank you for inviting me to join the pincushion group but I have to decline at this time. Still need to make 28 lap quilts by December and I am behind schedule. Next year I am devoting myself to fun.
Dena