PDA

View Full Version : My mom's post-stroke sense of humor

Meli
July 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM
We never know when mom's going to understand what's going on or not. Usually not. And sometimes she says things that are of vital importance to her and make no sense whatsoever. But periodically it's apparent that she knows exactly what's going on and dives right in with these one-liners that are hysterical.

Today, for instance, I was showing my polka-dot swap quilt to dad, discussing the pros and cons of stippling. He asked who the quilt was for, and I told him it's supposed to be for a friend of mine who recently moved out of state and I don't know when I'll see her again. At which point my mother piped up and said:

"She just wanted to get away from you!" And then collapsed back on the sofa, laughing hysterically. She had used sarcasm to make a joke at my expense, something she would never have done before her stroke.

She cracks me up.:lol:

Claire Hallman
July 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
It is amazing what a stroke can change. My mother had several and her personality changed from a smart, in control person to one that was full of fear. Medicine did help with that anxiety, though.

Bubby
July 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I often wonder about stroke patients and how much is locked up in their head that they need to express but can't. I suffered a moderate head injury in 1999 when I tripped over a floor mat in the grocery store and went head first into the floor (because both hand were full of grocery bags I didn't have time to catch myself). I woke up after being unconscious for 5 hours in the ER. I suffered amnesia for a few weeks. Every time I wanted to say something the polar opposite came out of my mouth. I also didn't know my husband, daughter or grandkids. It was a confusing and frightening time and I'm sure it's that way for stroke patients. After all was said and done I was asked by my doctor if I could remember everything...if you have had amnesia how do you know what you still can't remember!!! The one and only thing I remember from being unconscious is a female praying for me. I believe she may have been at the store or an employee of the store.

Meli I hope your Mom continues to improve. It's a good thing that she can laugh!! :)

BellasQuilts
July 7th, 2012, 10:59 PM
The mind is fascinating, I find. How we grow and absorb all things like a sponge, how we each handle adversity, love, etc. differently and then how a stroke or dementia can take you in a completely different direction. Fascinating how the mind works and protects itself sometimes. I'm glad you can find humor in this and not hold it against her for not being "herself".

auntiemern
July 7th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I am glad you can laugh over your mom's comments. It is amazing how our minds work. I believe there are at least 2 people in there at any given time. I guess circumstances either let them out or keep them in. I know that both of mine are just at the surface at any given time, depending on the circumstances. I do try, without much luck, to keep the mean, crazy one in check.

Musical_Starling
July 8th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Marilyn, your comment made me think of this picture:

http://trollable.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/I-have-a-serious-side.jpg

When I was a nursing student we did a work term in long term care facilities, mostly geriatric long term care, and I encountered a lot of patients who had strokes or TIA's, and I also saw my grandmother and her sister go through dementia/alzheimers, and it's often a mixed bag on any given day. The brain is an amazing thing, and the smallest "crossed wire" can cause the biggest changes sometimes!

It's great that your mom has a sense of humour, even if it is a sarcastic one lol You know what they say, laughter is the best medicine! :D

Granny Judy
July 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Just adding in my experience.. In 88 I had a car wreck with head injury that took most of my sight (peripheral) from internal bleeding in both eyes. What I didn't let others know was my short term memory was affected. I couldn't remember where I put things, If it wasn't out in plain sight, I didn't know where it was. Talk about being confused. Thankfully it cleared up with time.. there must have been some internal damage that didn't show up on tests & Xrays. And My eyesight has remained stable over the last 10 years.. I now can't see anything unless it is directly in front of me..... I often worndered if "side mirrors" would work.

CrazyMtnLady
July 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks for sharing your Mom's humor with us. I will keep her in my prayers.

janluna
July 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM
My Mom had a stroke too. She did the same thing your Mom is doing. What ever she thought came out, some funny, some sad, some angry. I know what you are going through. I will keep your Mom in prayer for a steady recovery. Hugs, Jan L.

SuzyQue
July 8th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I will keep you in prayer! After living with my great grandmother, grandmother and then my father dealing with dementia/Alzheimer's for years.....I understand. It might be funny to you some days, but other days it might be hurtful. Just try to remember her as she was and as she loved you for years. This is not her talking. Take care of you.