PDA

View Full Version : Back to civilization...

buckeyequilter
July 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
We finally went and bought a generator yesterday afternoon....stores had just got in new shipments. So at least last night we had lights, cold water and an air conditioner running. We all slept in the living room. Our power came back on at about 3:30 this morning (according to MIL). With the generator going we didn't know until this morning that it was actually back on.

I went to the grocery store this morning since we had a fridge going to pick up some sandwich food and DH called and told me the power was back....so I bought stuff to make homemade ravioli tonight and a few extras - couldn't buy too much because we have to finish cleaning up the old food and wait for the ones that are cleaned to cool.

I took the day off work yesterday because I got up and took a bracing, cool shower with a gallon of water and before I got dressed I was sweating again (and not in the best of moods - so thought I might just want to stay home). Spent the day getting some of the stuff out of the freezers (YUCK) - sweating a lot. We probably have high cholesterol now from eating so much fast food.

I just turned the air conditioner on in my sewing building but will probably take a nap before going out there. I haven't slept well for the past 5 nights. DH said he might go out a start cleaning the back yard...I told him to take a break and enjoy the day - we can get to that this week-end.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day - and for those without power, I feel your pain. Prayers and hugs to all.

Have a happy 4th of July and God bless and be with our armed forces.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Holidays_and_Party/fireworks-074.gif

Sandy Navas
July 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM
See, it always works that way. You go out and spend a lot on a generator and the power comes back on. Don't let DH take the generator back . . .

So glad you are back to civilization - and sure don't envy what you have ahead of you on clean-up.

Monique
July 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Welcome back. And rest today.

madampolo
July 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
When are you going to get electricity?

SuzyQue
July 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Glad you can enjoy some cool air, some good food, and some relaxing time on this holiday. Life with out electricity really is difficult!

Bubby
July 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Shirley,

You may have bought your generator at the 11th hour, but you will have it in the first hour next time you need it. Living rural it's amazing how often you need a generator. Our electric company is highly unreliable and schedule work that requires power lines to be down without notifying their customers. A generator is a very good investment. So glad you have cool air and can take showers and get some rest. Take care, Barb

Jean Sewing Machine
July 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
See, it always works that way. You go out and spend a lot on a generator and the power comes back on. Don't let DH take the generator back . . .

So glad you are back to civilization - and sure don't envy what you have ahead of you on clean-up. We bought a generator for our country home, with intentions to hook up the well pump to it, and the power never went off for more than a few minutes. Then when I moved to the city, I gave it to my son for his rural property. 2 weeks later, I needed the generator, but it was in Iowa. I didn't raise that kid right, did I? He should have rushed down to my house with an offer to hook up the generator! We somehow survived the ordeal.

buckeyequilter
July 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM

So glad you are back to civilization - and sure don't envy what you have ahead of you on clean-up.

I told him the reason the electric came back on is because we got a generator. DH is not taking it back - we have too many power outages and I he's glad we got it now.

buckeyequilter
July 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM
When are you going to get electricity?

We finally paid our bill so they turned it back on LOL

buckeyequilter
July 4th, 2012, 07:35 PM
When we would go out to eat we would go to restaurants where we knew they had wi-fi and we'd take our iPods just so we could find out what was going on and read some local news. Every morning at 5:30 DH would be off to McDonald's for coffee - good thing I don't drink coffe or I would have had to drag myself out of the house to go with him. We would usually go back over there about 8:00 and have breakfast.

Winniesfriend
July 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Welcome back Shirley, glad you finally have your power back on.

janluna
July 4th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Glad you have your power back on. My cousin bought one during the big ice storm we had in the 90's, and has never had to use it again. She said if that's how it works out, she would have gotten a smaller one and saved the money. ha ha We told her we would buy it from her, and she said there was no way she would be without back up again. She knows if she sold it, she would be out of power for weeks like she was during the ice storm. We were lucky, we were only out for 4 days. The thing I missed the most was a hot shower. I cooked on our grill on the back deck. I feel so bad for those poor people who are still out. This heat is awful. Hope your day was fun. Hugs, Jan L.

bkthomas
July 5th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Glad it's back on for you!

auntiemern
July 5th, 2012, 02:17 AM
So glad you have your electricity back. Would not be without generator. You just never know when you are going to be without power, and even if it was just used for fridge, sump pump and coffee maker, that is all I need. Well would have to get window AC too. :)

pcbatiks
July 5th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Glad to hear your power is back on....got to love the AC :D

CrazyMtnLady
July 5th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Glad you have your electricity back. I know I could survive without it, but I wouldn't want too. We have more than one generator of different sizes and outputs. The best thing about my house is, it is actually a "park model" trailer, the kind of trailer set up in all those retirement parks in Florida and other places, so it has a cord that is plugged in for electricity instead of being wired like a house. So when we lose electricity we fire up the genny and plug in the house, quick and easy. We have consider investing in a propane generator that would come on automatically if the power failed, but they are so expensive.

buckeyequilter
July 5th, 2012, 07:28 AM
That would be so cool if they put a cord on houses that you could plug in and get going again :) I was just thankful to have some air conditioning, a light and running water.

DH looked up the whole house generators this morning - for now, at least, we have one that we can use but sometime later we might consider getting the larger one.

Blondie
July 5th, 2012, 11:12 PM
There are still communities surrounding us without power as well; I am thankful yours came back on. And yep, Sandy hit the nail on the head, that's how it goes - get something and then you won't need it again for a zillion years, but, what peace of mind.
Hope you get some more good sleep in a cold room.