PDA

View Full Version : It is Hump Day

Monique
July 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Happy Hump Day and HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to my American Friends.

This morning I got my son all packed for the last of the journey. He starts his new job tomorrow. Today he has to get the keys for his apartment. I have given him stuff to hold him over until Roxy moves and brings the household with her. AND there was no Kodak moment, because I know he is not flying to the other side of the world, he is only 3 hours away.

I did get some cutting done yesterday for the Block swap.

We got a nice rain last night, that actually soaked the earth. I heard on the news this morning that the eastern coast of the US is still without power. Thinking of all those who are suffering through this. May they all get through this safely.

I think I will continue with the blocks for the swap.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

quilter.martha
July 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Happy Wednesday Monique! It actually feels like Saturday to me. My DH is home for the holiday and we're doing home improvements (still working on our hardwood flooring) at least for the morning.

My DH has a 2 week furlough starting technically Monday, but since he has today and tomorrow off, he decided to use a vacation day for Friday, so he'll now be home for 2 1/2 weeks. I do find it harder to get my things done when he's around. But, I love him, so I'll just deal with it!

I hope everyone has a very happy 4th!

cyndiofthevortex
July 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Yay for the 4th of July! I thank God for my country and I love it dearly.

We are off to York Beach in Maine to spend the day by the ocean. We'll stay until the fireworks display, which is spectacular there. They set them off from a barge and it reflects off the water and it is fantastic. With beach towels and chicken salad sandwiches in hand, off we go!

MRoy
July 4th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Good Morning and Happy 4th of July! I'm going to clean house (just a little), finish sewing together a quilt top, and fix a dish for a cookout tonight with family. I hope to have all this done by noon so I can be lazy this afternoon. Still praying for rain here.

CrazyMtnLady
July 4th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Happy 4th!!!!!

Really don't have plans for today, but we may be having our mechanic Joe over. He and the DH love to shoot and so they may be going out back to the range we put up and do some shooting and I will stay in and clean a bit and do some sewing! And then throw some meat on the grill or something.

I need to take my antler chandelier down and fix it. The wiring came undone and the light portion came out in my hand when I was cleaning it. Not a good thing. It is above my sewing table so I really could use the light. I don't think it will be too hard to fix, I just need to twist the wires back together and put a cap on them. The main thing will be figuring out how to get to the wires inside the housing.

We actually had a few drops of rain yesterday. Don't even enough to take the dust off the truck!

Hugs and prayers.

BellasQuilts
July 4th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Happy 4th of July! We are sticking at home. We are close enough to our local fireworks to see them, and it scares the dogs so want to be nearby. We generally sit out in the middle of our street in chairs, beer in hand, watching them over the tops of the trees. We can't see the lower ones, but I don't care. I like the big ones better. Have several days off; boss decided to close the office down since so many requested Thursday off (Most work 4 Ten hour days so they have Friday off every week). Only a few of us work all 5 days, so we are all off until Monday. Nice. Lots of chores to do around the house. Hugs to all! Hope the electricity comes back on back East and the heat abates for you. SIL called and says they are baking in NC.

quiltingtrish
July 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone~~
Cyndi - I want to come with you and watch the fireworks over the ocean in Maine - I went there as a kid every summer to visit my cousins.
DS #1 is working at the hospital today and is happy he will get double overtime. DH and I are going to DH's brothers house for a picnic. Then at 3, we have to be at Hershey Medical Center to help another brother-in-law with his food wagon selling pulled pork and beef sandwiches with fries until 9. The last time he sold in this kind of heat, it was 105 degrees inside his food wagon. Every July 4th, Hershey Medical puts on a free concert for whoever wants to come out and I hear we will be non-stop selling. The good thing about it is, we get paid for it. I feel kind of bad that I roped DH into helping today, cuts short his visit with his brother. However, he could have said no.
I worked on one of my applique blocks most of yesterday. I did travel to Hershey last night for my applique class and they were closed, so somehow I missed that message. Luckily, one of my sisters lives by there so I got to pop in and visit with her.
I suppose we should get moving here. I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Hugs,

sewbizzy
July 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Happy Fourth of July everyone!!! We are off to visit friends for lunch today and play some cards...then back home to finish cooking as our son as his family will be here from Charlotte NC tomorrow for a few days...I put a pot of spaghetti sauce in the roaster yesterday and let it cook most of the day (added a chuck roast in it and dh made 75 meatballs too)...also made potato salad...went grocery shopping too to stock up because my other 3 children and their families will be here off and on to visit...
I'm so looking forward to having everyone together...
I better get busy...making a pan of Bisquick shortcake for the strawberries and the whipped cream that are waiting to be put on it...lol...(it's really Jiffy mix, but my oldest ds told his wife I only used Bisquick mix) so it has been a family joke whenever we have it, which hasn't been since last summer...
again, Happy 4th of July everyone...I love our country and I am so happy I have you all on the forum to share things with...thanks again!!!!!

Sandy Navas
July 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Ahhh, all the wonderful foodies showing up today. Don't you love the celebrations? I'm not sure who I want to join - love the fireworks over water, the pulled pork, fries, potato salad, whatever you are serving. We will be with DD and DSIL and all the DGDs tonight - you should have seen the little ones stocking up on 'smoke bombs' yesterday when we took them shopping. So cute - we try to stay close to home so the little ones can get to bed at a decent hour. Swimming has totally been wiping them out. So we are feasting on brats and potato salad, watermelon and, per Emily's request: Smores! Oh, the sugar highs.

Off to work on Al's quilt - got interrupted early yesterday and didn't get as much done as I would like.

I wish everyone a wonderful day - regardless of what part of the world you are in. Blessings to all!!

janluna
July 4th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joe and I spent a quiet day at home. We can see the fire works from here. I made fried chicken, red beans and rice, corn, and corn bread. ummmmmm! It was so good! The birds loved it too. Yes, they eat chicken. They don't know it's a bird. Anyway, they enjoyed it. And of course Max(our dog) had his daily steak. That's right, Joe cooks him a steak every night. We have hot dogs, he has steak. And he hand feeds him! He will not be allowed to do this to any future dogs we get. I told him I would break both of his arms if he tries it. To be fair, the reason he got started cooking and hand feeding, is because we had 3 cocker spaniels, then my step mom needed a home for hers. So now we had 4. Then someone put 6 puppies in a shoe box in a garbage can. We brought the poor little pups home and fostered them. They were about 24 hours old. When they got weaned, we put food down and some didn't get their share. So, Joseph, God Love him, started feeding them by hand so everyone got his/her share. We kept 2 of the pups. Max and Smokey. He kept feeding them, and switched to steak because it was cheaper than dog food. Hard to believe, but true. When we lost the spaniels, we tried to put the food in Smoke's and Max's bowls on the floor. They wouldn't eat. They went 4 days with no food. Poor Joe couldn't take it, so he feed them again. They have eaten out of his hand since they were 9 weeks old. Never again. We lost Smoke to old age and kidney disease, and the fact that he ate a rock. So Max is king. He is an old, fat boy, King. lol I will always have a dog. When Max goes to the rainbow bridge, I want to get a little dog. One I can pick up and bath in the sink. Max is huge and old. It hurts him to get into the tub, (our tub has high sides.) Actually, it hurts me to get in the tub, but then I'm old and fat too. lol I only take showers now.
Hope your holiday was wonderful. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Bubby
July 4th, 2012, 11:21 PM
When you're retired you don't have Hump days anymore!! :)