PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th of July to everyone!!!!!!!!!

Jenny Mulhall
July 4th, 2012, 03:50 AM
YAY! Enjoy your day!

:D

bkthomas
July 4th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks Jenny! I will, it' my DGD's birthday too - she thinks the whole country celebrates her B-Day!!!! She's 5 today!!!! (Morgan)

KerriS
July 4th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Hi everyone..

To me it's just a normal day, but I know that you all are celebrating..

so I wish all of you

http://www.ani-gifs.com/images/holiday-gifs/fourth-of-july/ani-gifs-fourth-of-july-1615434093.gif (http://www.ani-gifs.com/)

have fun

Poppytree
July 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/4th-july/happy-4th-of-july.gif (http://www.sherv.net/fourth.july-emoticon-523.html)

Greetings from Down Under - Have a great day

Divine Daisy
July 4th, 2012, 05:57 AM
America 4th July.............Yayyyyyyyyy we have independence!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Britian 4th July...............Yayyyyyyyyy They have independence!!!!!!!!!!

As a Student of history, social history and law there are a few things I would like to say......pompous as they may sound... to America and it's people today.

Firstly and most importantly, sorry, congratulations and cudos to you.

Britain during the period of our 'empire' did some truely awful things and behaved in a truely arrogant and awful way. Not just America but India, Australia,Ireland to mention but a few suffered at our 'guiding hand'.

America was the first to rebel and claim their country as their own and I have alway applauded them for doing so. If I had been there at the time I would have been up to my neck in it lol. That Britain was built on it's empire is an undeniable fact. The banks founded on and thriving from the proceeds of slavery. Liverpool docks, a city built on the suffering of human beings taken and abused as slaves. Families, aristocratic and middle class who still today live in stately homes and on the 'old' money funded by slavery. Not all slave traders were british or funded by british families. Not all plantations were british in origon but most were.

We taxed you to fund our wars, we treated you like a mere source of money and goods. We did so to many and the fact that in many ways we were a country and government of the time does not make many britains feel more comfortable with it today. You kept the best, such as our common law and kicked out the worst like our class system. Of course you delveloped some new problems along the way, guns for example and the right to bare arms. Based on the pioneer nature of the country and the Wild West it is not suprising. Who named it that I wonder......the Wild West! Bet it was the british lol. You can just hear some poncey english voice saying.....My Dears.....they are so wild!

So heres to you all from the old country. Englishmen left these shores in search of religious and social freedom and they created a nation embracing peoples of every country and belief along the way.

Happy Independance Day!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Wow, Daisy, well spoken, as usual! I thought it was only Michele Obama who had the right to bare arms! Others bear arms, and some are armed to the teeth!

Great history lesson, I would love to discuss this with you in a private forum! I've studied some literature based on the colonialism of the British Empire throughout the 2 centuries prior to the Declaration of Independence, and find it fascinating.

We Americans look to the country of Britain not with distain from past difficulties, but with respect and reverence and love. While we would have no part of a monarchy, we do admire the royalty that you still have, and there is no country that can do pomp and circumstance better than the Brits! Yes, I know you don't love that part, but it is something Americans look upon as special.

So thanks for the good wishes, luv! HOpe you and Stewart have a good day, and that he is coming out of his feverish, low BP funk and getting back to his usual jolly self

Monique
July 4th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Happy 4th of July to ALL my American friends. Travel and party safe. Have a fantastic day.

quilter.martha
July 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Thank you to all our "foreign" members for the wonderful wishes for the day! It is something special to receive those well wishes from all of you!

It is raining here right now but hopefully by the time it comes for fireworks the weather will have improved.

Debbie MM
July 4th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Thank you for your well wishes, it is finally rained here. Everyone have a good and safe day

Ginny B
July 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Happy 4th of July! It's raining here too but they are saying it should clear a bit later. DH is wanting to smoke some ribs today so I hope we'll be able to be outside for a few hours this afternoon. Quiet day planned. Thanks Daisy for your good wishes today. So eloquently put. I too enjoy looking at history and seeing how things have evolved over time. Thank you also to all of our quilting friends from other countries who are wishing us a good day.

Have a wonderful day all.

Ginny B

MRoy
July 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! Martha, please send your rain south to Kentucky. We'd love to have it instead of fireworks.

BellasQuilts
July 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Alison and all outside our borders, thank you for your well wishes. Our freedom is precious as so many fought so hard to be sure we would be free. What we also do is forgive and forget. We are all friends now and that is how it should be, like Jean says, we do not look at Britain with disdain. So, Happy 4th and enjoy the day and celebrate the lives of those (many of my ancestors) who fought to make us free!

Jenny Mulhall
July 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I have a funny story...

Like Daisy, I'm an avid fan of History. Last October, Sweetie decided to bring me to all the historical spots in London, where he's from. At the Tower of London (where many a head rolled) we were all gathered to wait for our guided tour to begin. The guide asked "Who here is from America?" Some lovely people from Connecticut started cheering. He eyeballed them and said "All this could have been yours if you'd only paid your taxes!". He told the Australian people "Welcome home" and then fixed his eye on me. "Where are you from?" he bellowed. "Ireland!" I squeaked. He shook his head, told me the precise location of 'Traitor's Gate' and said he'd be keeping an eye on me!! Cheeky bugger! :icon_heh:

In a world where - at this very moment in time - people are fighting and dying for the rights and privileges we hardly ever think about, July 4th is a good day to be thankful for freedom, democracy and equality - wherever you're from!!! YAY!!! :icon_woohoo:

Sandy Navas
July 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks to everyone for their wishes as we celebrate our Independence Day. I do believe people have lost sight of what it truly means though (not here on the forum but in our country) - it is as commercial as Christmas and all our other holidays. Al and I were counting yesterday and within TWO miles of us there are SEVEN fireworks stands!!!! One is RIGHT NEXT DOOR. And while I am a very proud American and salute our forefathers and soldiers, I see no reason to be up half the night BEFORE the 4th, listening to all the booms and pops. This has been going on for three weeks or more . . .

Okay, off my soap box. Oh, I do have to say that I pray that next year we are still as proud of our country and are allowed to celebrate our Independence . . . I fear our freedoms are being taken away on a daily basis . . .

Genny
July 4th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Let the fireworks begin!!! Happy 4th everyone!

SuzyQue
July 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Our annual picnic, carnival, ice cream social and fireworks at our church have been reduced this year due to heat. The fireworks have been postponed due to dryness. We are desperate for rain! The crops are failing and the tempers flare........but we can still celebrate Independence Day without rockets red glare and the blaring of fire truck sirens sure to follow~ Hope everyone has a safe holiday!

K. McEuen
July 4th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Happy 4th to everyone!

This evening, we have a potluck dinner reception for some 70+ people, including 16 foreign visitors from different countries around the world. It's always special to spend the 4th with those from other countries, many of whom don't have the freedoms we have, but who embrace the celebration like it was their own. Sometimes in our day to day lives we lose sight of what we have and it's refreshing to see it through their eyes.

auntiemern
July 4th, 2012, 06:54 PM
thanks for the well wishes from abroad. Yes today in July 4th. However not the name of the holiday. Today is Independence Day. The day, that after years of fighting we, the citizens of America won our freedom. It is not about bar b ques, beer, partying, and fireworks. That is how we celebrate. So party on people, just don't forget what it took to have the freedom to party.