PDA

View Full Version : Life on the prairie....

buckeyequilter
July 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Ahhhhh living life in the good old days. No internet, no tv, no phones, no running water, no electric. Our power went off in the severe storm on Friday night and may not be back on until the end of this week. Now I know exactly what they mean by the "those long, lazy summer days".

Let me tell you, livin' on the praire ain't all that fun. Hauling water from the creek (did you know that a 6 gallon bucket of water weighs 48 lbs. and I carried that thing up a hill), showering with a gallon of cold water, getting dressed with only an oil lamp to see with - gotta get dressed early because later in the day it's too darn hot to light those lamps.

I was supposed to be on vacation starting tomorrow....but that might not happen...because if I don't have electric I'm not wasting my vacation. And I'm not wasting my vacation cleaning up storm damage....we have 3 freezers and 3 fridges to clean out, trees down in the woods and backyard to clean up.

Take care everyone

Monique
July 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear that Shirley. Hope you get your power back on sooner rather than later.

Have a community BBQ is that is possible. That would be one way to get the good eaten before it spoils.

cyndiofthevortex
July 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
You are right in the middle of a disaster! How horrible! I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

buckeyequilter
July 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks.....too late for a BBQ - we've been without power for 3 days now and I wouldn't eat anything from the freezer or fridge now (90+ degree days).

janluna
July 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Shirley, so sorry about the inconvenience, and the loss of the food in your freezers. Maybe there is a food bank that could help with giving it away before it spoils. Prayers for your power coming back as soon as possible! Hugs, Jan L. P.S. I guess we were writing at the same time.
What a shame for the loss of all that food and the cost of it all. Will your house insurance help pay for it? Check and see.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 2nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Wow, I feel your pain. In 2006, we had two prolonged power outages, one in July and one in November. At least we didn't have to haul our water! Hope you can get back to this century soon, cool off, take a hot shower and replace your food supply! So sorry to hear you were affected by the storms.

EnumclawGramma
July 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Aw Shirley! So sorry to hear about this. NOT fun. The longest we've gone without power is 3 days and that is my absolute limit! We have a generator now so we at least have water, but no hot water. I don't blame you for postponing vacation. That's the pits!

buckeyequilter
July 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone......we had an ice storm a few years back and had no power for 3 days, I told DH then that we should get a generator and he didn't think we'd have another outage like that - well now he's decided that we need to see about getting a generator. Besides that I don't know where he's been the for the last 30+ years in 1978 we had a blizzard and were without power for 3 - 4 days. We've had 3 or 4 of these types of outages in the past 10 years - usually lasting about 3 days. So if he don't go this fall and get a generator I will go pick out one and he can just deal with it.

As for the insurance...I told him we need to make a claim this time because we've lost a lot of food. In fact I think I'll give them a call and see what they say - don't want to pitch the nasty food, in case they need to see it.

madampolo
July 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
My husband is on hold now trying to get someone at the light company to respond. Awhile ago, we had a storm, and a tree fell on our power line to the house. It didn't bring the line all the way down, but it did pull out the guy wires on the two poles from which it was strung. They cut the tree off, but it was too wet to bring in the heavy trucks to fix the guy wires. So, two light poles are leaning toward each other. They said they'd be back when it dried, but they never came back. Now we've had another storm, and a different tree is getting ready to take the line down. It, too, needs to be cut. The guy wires need to be fixed because that power line is getting closer to the ground. I don't know what I would do without electricity. I think I'd take a trip to an area with electricity, and get a room. The freezer and fridge probably needed a good cleaning anyway, right? We have a generator, but that takes gasoline, and I don't think it is powerful enough to run much of anything.

Lonna
July 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Shirley my thoughts and prayers are with you. I know what it is like to go through that. We were with out electric for 7 days back after hurrican katrina. On day 6 we located a generator which was shared by two households just enough to get the fridge running once again. Hope your power is restored soon. Take care and try to stay cool.

buckeyequilter
July 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
My husband is on hold now trying to get someone at the light company to respond. Awhile ago, we had a storm, and a tree fell on our power line to the house. It didn't bring the line all the way down, but it did pull out the guy wires on the two poles from which it was strung. They cut the tree off, but it was too wet to bring in the heavy trucks to fix the guy wires. So, two light poles are leaning toward each other. They said they'd be back when it dried, but they never came back. Now we've had another storm, and a different tree is getting ready to take the line down. It, too, needs to be cut. The guy wires need to be fixed because that power line is getting closer to the ground. I don't know what I would do without electricity. I think I'd take a trip to an area with electricity, and get a room. The freezer and fridge probably needed a good cleaning anyway, right? We have a generator, but that takes gasoline, and I don't think it is powerful enough to run much of anything.

Without electricity...the days are long and hot. Can't leave the house because we have animals and also I don't want to come back to find out my house was broken into...that would just p*ss me off even more. DH has been saying he's going to clean out those freezers - so this is his chance :)

Genny
July 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
I feel so bad for all of you thats been thru these storms and I hope you all have electric and water soon. Hopefully the insurance will help with some of it. We had a horrible ice storm quite a few years ago that damaged all 18 of our trees. Had to take a few of them on down and was without electricity for a few days. My youngest daughter was without electric for a week and believe me, they now have a generator. It wasn't hot then, of course, but it sure was cold.

pcbatiks
July 2nd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hey Shirley, I feel for you...that's got to be miserable! Just a thought on the food....maybe take pictures of your frig and freezers showing all the food inside for insurance purposes. We had to deal with a similar situation after Hurricane Rita. But we did get some reimbursement for the food that spoiled. Praying that you will be feeling the cool air conditioning soon!

bakermom
July 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
bummer Shirley! I'm guessing you got hit with the storms that went thu western ohio friday?? We were right on the fringe both friday and sunday. My sister, BIL and two of my DDs are without power from last night's storms. Fortunately my mom(2 miles away) did not lose power. At 89 she does not need to be without her AC during this heat

bkthomas
July 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Awww...Shirley so sorry to hear this - thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Bubby
July 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
I feel so sorry for you Shirley...we went through that in May 2009. We are still cleaning up our property. We were without power and water for two weeks. When the storm went through it broke nearly every water main in our town. You are definitely in my prayers. If you have never been through something like this it's hard to imagine how devastating it is. Hugs, Barb

MRoy
July 2nd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Shirley, so sorry you're going through this. We went through an ice storm a few years ago and didn't have electricity for 5 days. We were lucky enough to get one of the last generators at a Wal-mart two counties away so we could have power. I hope your power is restored sooner than later and that your insurance comes through on the food lost

phoots
July 3rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
I lived in Alabama for 11 yrs so I understand about cleaning up storm damage. But I never did lose power for more than a couple hours. I guess I was lucky!!

Pam in Vegas

Cellomom
July 3rd, 2012, 02:03 AM
So sorry you have to go through this terrible heat with no power Shirley. My thoughts and prayers are with you that things change for the better soon.

Winniesfriend
July 3rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
OMG I cant imagine what it would be like without power for a few days, we dont usually have that problem, maybe a few hours but that is usually the limit. I would be on the insurance company the sooner the better, we had a house fire a few years ago, they came out and took photos, I also took photos of every thing I threw out that was damaged, insurance company was great but I felt better knowing I had my own photos. It must have been some storm, best of luck with your lack of power.

nurrsey
July 3rd, 2012, 02:27 AM
Shirley, I don't blame you for postponing your vacation...I bet you had a lot of sewing planned. Good luck with everything.

auntiemern
July 3rd, 2012, 02:43 AM
So sorry you are going thru all this Shirley. We have been without power both in winter and summer. Not sure which is worse. Losing all that food in summer or worrying about freezing water lines and the damage that causes in winter. Get on the insurance company sooner than later. Will keep you in my prayers, and hope the electric is restored soon.

quilting mama
July 3rd, 2012, 06:52 AM
We lived without power for about a year and a half. Of course, we planned it that way! :) Oil lamps for light, wood cook-stove for cooking, kerosene refrigerator, and we had a generator to run my wringer washer. We had propane burners for cooking and heating water in the summer for dishes and showers. It's not so bad if you are prepared for life without electricity. But when it happens unexpectedly, that's difficult. Been there too. For a week during a blizzard years ago when I lived up north. Totally unprepared. Good luck and hope it all works out for you!

buckeyequilter
July 4th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your prayers and concern....our electric is back. We can manage for about 3 days and after that it really starts getting old. We have lost power in the winter and the main concern then is water (and not knowing if we'll be able to get out to get some) - but at least we still have heat.

I hope everyone that lost power has had theirs restored or will have it restored soon.