PDA

View Full Version : Christmas...

sally
August 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I know it seems so far away and yet. Wow I remember planning my summer vacation and it has come and gone. SEW...how many are making quilts as Christmas gifts. I plan on making rag quilts for my daughters. Both live in basement aptments so I know they will appreciate having a warm flannel quilt to snuggle up in.

jrchapman
August 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I haven't even thought about Christmas yet, I have three relatives/close friends having babies in the next 2 months so I'm all focused on baby quilts. I think I'm going to have to pass on Christmas quilts this year.

hillbilly
August 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I am trying to come up with NON quilted gifts for a change. We always give homemade though. I think Mod Podge is calling my name.

quiltingtrish
August 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I have 2 quilts I would like to have made for gifts this year. They will both be friendship braid quilts cause I hear they are easy, so we'll see. I have fabric for the one (Civil War) and haven't decided yet on fabric for the other. I'm usually late with Christmas gifts, but I'm going to try to change that this year.

Hugs,

NM Lady
August 17th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I'm working on a quilt top that my sister loves. I keep telling her it is for my mother in law, but it will probably be my sister's Christmas gift. Just need to work on it and get it finished.

sally
August 18th, 2010, 01:01 AM
What is the friendship braid quilt?

middlesis1966
August 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Christmas Im drawing a total blank this year. Im so tired of the same ole thing, ie cookies. I thinking of something that is small but still a nice gift. The problem is 1 of my sissys live with my mom, so her own kitchen stuff would not be a good gift. Thank goodness I have a few more months.:D

hillbilly
August 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Last night I thought of something I might make. I think art journals would be fun. I will tailor each to suit. THere are so many neat graphics out there to stir imagination, and then I could add some homemade recycled papers, some journaling ideas on each page, pages for past and future....just all kinds of ideas come to mind.

RockyMountainHorseMama
August 18th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Well, I'm going to attempt Log Cabins for my 2 daughters and hubby for Christmas this year ... we'll see what happens though :lol: I sure hope you ladies will share pics :D

middlesis1966
August 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Wow you all have such fab ideas! Maybe this will help unlock the block!

janluna
August 18th, 2010, 09:30 PM
What is the friendship braid quilt?

Look under tutorials, Jenny did a lesson on making a friendship braid quilt. It looks fairly easy the way she does it. And its pretty.

hillbilly
August 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Well, I'm going to attempt Log Cabins for my 2 daughters and hubby for Christmas this year ... we'll see what happens though :lol: I sure hope you ladies will share pics :D

Log cabins are my favorite. They always have been. Can't wait to see them.

hillbilly
August 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Look under tutorials, Jenny did a lesson on making a friendship braid quilt. It looks fairly easy the way she does it. And its pretty.

It is pretty, and I think it looks fun. I want to buy that binding tool!

quiltingtrish
August 19th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Also, how about a small table runner as gifts maybe? They can go fast and they could use it as a dresser scarf maybe if they don't have a table to put it on. You could just make it easy and sew squares together and bind it. Using precut squares (charm packs) would make no pre-cutting involved. Or you could use pre-cut strips and sew them together - use them like that or after sewing them together, cut those sewed strips hortizonally into larger squares and put those together. Have some strips going one direction and the next going the other direction and continue doing that until you have a table runner length you'd want. Quilt and bind and you're done. Hmmm, maybe I'll try that.

Or tissue cozies. There are tutorials on the internet and they go pretty fast too. The ones where you put the little packs of tissues inside. You can use all kinds of fun fabrics for these. It's fun to open your purse and see these inside.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,

craftyladysam
August 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm making a quilt for my two youngest grandsons. The first one is almost done, welllllllll I said almost. The second one I hope will be quicker because I'm making a rag quilt out of old jeans. I'm embroidering
tea towels and making fancy work gloves to wash the dishes with. Aprons and tote bags and also pillows for the men and boys. Hope to use lots from my stash! Now to keep this a secret is my problem. I want to give it to them now or as soon as I get it done.

Texsam
August 20th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Good ideas ladies. It's so hot I feel like Christmas is far away. Then I look at a quilt store site and they have a countdown clock :icon_eek: and I get reminded it's not so far away now.

RockyMountainHorseMama
August 20th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Log cabins are my favorite. They always have been. Can't wait to see them.

Thanks Tonya! But, I may get them done in time for ... Chinese New Year's?! :icon_rofl:

PamMiller
September 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
I started paper piecing my Christmas Wall hangings the past weekend and it's better than 90degrees ever since. Only have 12 to do. LET IT SNOW.

Dragonfly
September 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM
I am doing quilts for my three grandchildren, all the same design but in their respective favourite colours. It was such an easy quilt design that I made all three tops in the one day and am now adding the borders. The pink one will have a butterfly applique and the blue one will have a sailing boat mid right of the quilt on the area where the plain blues cam together.

middlesis1966
September 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM
WOW Luckie Grandkids. I love the green one. Thats my fav color. Can I be one of yr grandkids plz oh plz, lol.:icon_cool:

Dragonfly
September 1st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Can I be one of yr grandkids plz oh plz, lol.:icon_cool:

I already have several 'adopted' children, friends that my kids have brought home, so why not some 'adopted' grandkids, sure, welcome to the clan. :icon_rofl:

Check my 'Under Construction' album for the other two quilts in this series, I've changed the way I'm constructing them now to get them more random. I will be adding a purple one a bit later today.

jrchapman
September 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
I am doing quilts for my three grandchildren, all the same design but in their respective favourite colours. It was such an easy quilt design that I made all three tops in the one day and am now adding the borders. The pink one will have a butterfly applique and the blue one will have a sailing boat mid right of the quilt on the area where the plain blues cam together.

These are gorgeous!!! I really like the effect you've got going on there.

sally
September 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I already have several 'adopted' children, friends that my kids have brought home, so why not some 'adopted' grandkids, sure, welcome to the clan. :icon_rofl:

Check my 'Under Construction' album for the other two quilts in this series, I've changed the way I'm constructing them now to get them more random. I will be adding a purple one a bit later today.

How about an adopted sister? I have an older brother and 13 boys cousins and only 1 girl cousin. I would love a sister! PS my favorite colors are green and yellow:D

Dragonfly
September 4th, 2010, 11:35 PM
How about an adopted sister? I have an older brother and 13 boys cousins and only 1 girl cousin. I would love a sister! PS my favorite colors are green and yellow:D

:lol: The last 'sister' I adopted wasn't a quilter...that didn't last long, now I think she quilts nicer than I do, at least I won't have to go through that step with you...welcome to the clan. :icon_wave::icon_happy:

Perhaps I should post the instructions for these quilts. :D

pdjewelrylady
September 4th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Very Nice :) they go together pretty quick and easy?

Dragonfly
September 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Very Nice :) they go together pretty quick and easy?

More quickly and easily than you would think looking at them, I will tidy up my notes and see about making them available. In all fairness, I found the original idea elsewhere but didn't like some of how they turned so I have been adapting and changing the design as I go along, I'm reasonably happy with it now.

Dragonfly
September 5th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Here is the purple one I finished (minus borders) this morning. This is approx 52" x 64".