PDA

View Full Version : Washing material when paired with minkee

wearerofmanyhats
August 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I making a rag quilt for my daughter & I'm wondering if I need to pre-wash the flannel. It's will be used for backing material. I also am going to use some cotton material pre-wash or not also.

craftyladysam
August 17th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Hi!:icon_hi: I am new at this but I think if you wash one part of the project you should wash all parts.
I know most flannel will shrink . Maybe one of the girls who know more than me will help you. Good Luck!

toggpine
August 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I ALWAYS pre-wash my flannel. It will shrink and can really mess up your project. Run a zig-zag stitch down the cut edges or surge the edge to prevent fraying in the washer & dryer. I had a 5 yard piece shrink about 18 inches in length and 2 or 3 in width. I had to buy another piece to finish the back of that quilt. If you are using flannels from old shirts you can just prewash the shirts to make sure they are clean and that is good enough.
I am a pre-washer, so I do most of my fabrics before I sew with them. I do not pre-wash the pre-cut pieces like charms or Jellyrolls.

Judy in Waco
August 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I am not sure about minkee or flannel, but I DO know about a cool product I just found called "color-catchers" by Shout. They keep fabric from running. You can prewash light and dark together if you throw a couple of these into the wash. I love this stuff!! Just FYI. :)

Texsam
August 17th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I haven't used those with fabric yet, but they work great on new clothes. I have washed a red shirt and a lime green shirt and was glad I used the "color catcher.

sandyquilts
August 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
The look of rag quilts is that you want them to fray. I doubt the minkee will rag as it's part poly. Be aware that when you wash to make it rag (fray) that the flannel will shrink big time and the minkee won't ... I think I'd use something besides minkee or another pattern.