PDA

View Full Version : Getting frustrated

auntiemern
June 28th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I am so frustrated right now with all of my quilting. It feels like forever since I have completed anything. I had those long couple of weeks when I had no time to do anything, since I had to take care of the kids full time again. Then last week end I had that darn lupus flare, that put me in a downward spiral for a few days. I finally got a top together, that I will post pics of when I finish it. In the mean time I am doing another quilt for one of 'Bethany's kids'. I am so excited to be doing this one, but it has been giving me fits while trying to quilt it. Would have posted pic if I hadn't totally ripped it apart. I had already ripped the quilting out twice, because of puckers. I love this quilt though, and I will master it. I just don't know why I keep getting those darn puckers. I don't know if it is because I made BIG blocks and sashed them or what. My machine has no way to adjust the pressure of my foot on the fabric so I am not really sure how I am going to solve this problem. I am using a low loft batting. My new little guy has vision problems, so I went with a big, bright, bold truck fabric that I made 10" blocks out of so he would be able to see them. Thank goodness she is in no hurry to get this one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I thought about doing all over meandering, but still working on my FMQ.

K. McEuen
June 28th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I used to get more puckers with pinning than I run into with the spray basting. That 505 spray has made my life so much easier.

Don't be so hard on yourself either. You had non-stop grandkids and then were so tired you had health issues. You need a few low key days to recoup.

sewmuchjan
June 28th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Marilyn yes don't be so hard on yourself. It will all work out. Just take a brake and work on something else and go back later. I use the spray too and I also use safety pins when I sandwich my quilts and I have minimal puckering. The spray realy helps and my puckers are acceptable. Buy me anyway.

Take care of yourself and rest OK.

Love, Hugs, and Blessings for you;
Jan G.

auntiemern
June 28th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I used spray baste. I always do on small quilts. Hopefully when I get it put back together, I won't have so many issues.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Marilyn, it will all work out! I use pins, I know this isn't the best for FMQing but it works best for me. Also, I really make sure my backing is perfectly smooth by clamping or taping it to the table before I put the batting on. Then I use a lot of pins to put the top on. Then I use a walking foot to SITD. These all have helped me to avoid puckers. Before I did all that, I had major puckering issues. I just don't trust the spray, especially for bigger projects. I know lots of people swear by it. Maybe I should give it a try again.

Anyway, you had done so much before the prolonged babysitting gig/health scare, you were on a very productive roll, things will get back to the way you want them to be before you know it. Just relax and enjoy what you are doing, don't put extra pressure on yourself!

K. McEuen
June 28th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Plus, it's HOT outside.

I swear I feel like just sitting under the cooler vent. It's days like these that I wish we had refrigerated air. The evaporative coolers work pretty well out here, except on days close to 100 degrees. For the most part it can drop the temperature by 20 degrees in the house. While 80 isn't bad, I sure don't want to be wrestling a quilt through my machine right now. I make more tops in the summer and try to get them quilted when the weather is cooler.

DCM
June 28th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I just finished a quilt that initially was getting puckers in the back -- after three rows of cross hatch quilting with puckers I ripped those rows out, unpinned the whole thing, heavily starched the back (the fabric was a bit thinner than the fabric on the front of the quilt and I think it was stretching a bit) fabric, made sure I didn't stretch the back too much or too little when I taped it down and then repinned. I had no puckering the second time around. It was well worth taking out the stitching and starching and repinning. Good luck -- I was up against a deadline but just couldn't bring myself to leave the puckers on the back.

pcbatiks
June 28th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi Marilyn, Several others have already said what I was going to mention. I like the 505 spray. On my 1st quilt I forgot to tape the back down to the floor to hold it nice and snug. I had a little slack in the quilt in a few places. Relax and get some rest before tackling it again.

Genny
June 28th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Please Marilyn...sit back, take a deep breath and relax. We all have these feelings at one time or another. You are tired and you don't feel well. I know someone with Lucas so I know how hard it can be on your body and mind. Give yourself some breathing room. Then you can get back to quilting.

I also use basting spray because everything seems to lay flatter. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs to you.

bkthomas
June 29th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I will chime in here and agree with every one else - take a break from it and come back to it when you're feeling better.

CrazyMtnLady
June 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Sit back with a nice glass of iced tea and take a breather. You have earned it after all the quilts you have already made, plus the kids and your health. Relax!

cyndiofthevortex
June 29th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I agree, take a break and try some of the suggestions here. I tape the back down taut but not stretched, use the 505 spray and smooth, smooth, smooth the three layers so that there are no lumps or bumps anywhere. You could also try loosening up your presser foot tension. Maybe it is too high and pressing down on your fabric too much. Even with a walking foot this can still happen. The quilt you're making is a true gift of love and I hope you'll be able to adjust things so that you can enjoy making it. I know you love quilting and children and when you put the two together you create magic!

Lonna
June 29th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Thank you for this post. I am new to quilting and puckering on the back has been my biggest problem. I have a quilt now that was going to be a gift but I just can not bring myself to send it to this person because of the puckering. It will just be a quilt for me to use. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Jenny Mulhall
June 29th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't presume to offer advice as I can barely follow the 1/4 inch seam (flipping thing!) but I love your attitude! How can you fail to succeed with such determination? "Go on ya good thing!!" :)

auntiemern
June 29th, 2012, 04:39 PM
My machine does not have a presser foot pressure adjustment. And if it does I don't know how to do it :(
I agree, take a break and try some of the suggestions here. I tape the back down taut but not stretched, use the 505 spray and smooth, smooth, smooth the three layers so that there are no lumps or bumps anywhere. You could also try loosening up your presser foot tension. Maybe it is too high and pressing down on your fabric too much. Even with a walking foot this can still happen. The quilt you're making is a true gift of love and I hope you'll be able to adjust things so that you can enjoy making it. I know you love quilting and children and when you put the two together you create magic!

RiverMomm
June 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Oh Marilyn, I know how you feel. I am getting over a flare myself. I am so tired, but want to finish a quilt that is bugging me. The top is sitting beside my sewing machine right now.

Ok, let's try to work on your problem from a non-quilter view -after all, its not working thinking like a quilter . . . as we all know happens from time to time. I was recently working with some fabric and for no reason that I could fathom, it puckered. So I worked on other things . . . no pucker. Why one fabric decides to be grumpy is beyond me but it happens. I was finally able to get it to work by changing threads and the needle. Not sure which worked or if both worked. I had some yellow ball needles from long ago when I sewed knitted fabric and some poly thread. Hey, it worked! (I think it was the needle). So, try changing to a knit fabric needle.

Genny
June 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Please Marilyn...sit back, take a deep breath and relax. We all have these feelings at one time or another. You are tired and you don't feel well. I know someone with Lucas so I know how hard it can be on your body and mind. Give yourself some breathing room. Then you can get back to quilting.

I also use basting spray because everything seems to lay flatter. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs to you.

I fibbed...I don't know what "Lucas" is but I do know what "Lupus" is. Guess I need to check out my replies before posting them...

RiverMomm
June 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I fibbed...I don't know what "Lucas" is but I do know what "Lupus" is. Guess I need to check out my replies before posting them...

*** I think Lucas is a spelling variation on Lucus- is what you get from watching to much Star Wars over a long weekend. :)

coffeebreak
June 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Plus, it's HOT outside.

I swear I feel like just sitting under the cooler vent. It's days like these that I wish we had refrigerated air. The evaporative coolers work pretty well out here, except on days close to 100 degrees. For the most part it can drop the temperature by 20 degrees in the house. While 80 isn't bad, I sure don't want to be wrestling a quilt through my machine right now. I make more tops in the summer and try to get them quilted when the weather is cooler.
My sewing room is so hot during the day I can't even stand it so I try to spend the mornings sewing but things never seem to get done! Always something else to do. So I try to seperate my work and sew in the room in the mornings and do any cutting in the afternoon on the kitchen table. I have cut 2-3 quilt assemblies and just put them in a box to sew together as time permits. OR sew blocks together and press in the afaternoon out in the kitchen area. I hate heat!

coffeebreak
June 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I have found to...the basting spray is a god-send. I use it a bit sparingly tho...I will lay the batting out and then the backing on top and fold it back and spray the center and then press it all down and then gently spray other areas, just a bit here and there and then use pins some...and it works great and no puckers! Okay, well, maybe some, but I am just starting working with it and did 3 lap quilts...each one better than the previous. So my suggestion is start in the center and use the spray on the backing and batting and then when you lay the top down...again... spray in the center and then just spray here and there and use pins. Then start quilting from the center outward. It sure helped me.