PDA

View Full Version : The Elephant in the Room...

Jenny Mulhall
June 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I just had to tell you this...

I look after my Mother and Father in Law. They moved in with us about three years ago after an illness meant my FIL could no longer care for my MIL, who has been ill since my Hubby was born. Now, my FIL is your typical stubborn-as-an-ass Midlands Irishman. He's a sweetheart, though and 80 years of age. He's also as deaf as a post and REFUSES to accept it. This has caused quite a few misunderstandings between myself nd himself, which he puts down to my 'flightiness' (!) and tendency to 'mumble'(!!).

This afternoon, I was preparing the dinner when I FELT, rather than heard Steve Wilkos berating a chap about a paternity test. (my MIL and FIL are ADDICTED to those scary programmes!) The volume was up so high the fillings in my teeth were vibrating! I ran into the sitting room to ask WHY ON EARTH the telly was up so high and, of course, my FIL wouldn't admit that it was up so high because he couldn't hear it. This is what happened next...

Jen: The telly's too loud! Can't you hear it?
FIL: What?
Jen: THE TELLY IS TOO LOUD!!!! (grabs zapper and turns off the sound)
FIL: I was watching that! (annoyed)
Jen: Seriously Jack, this is getting ridiculous. You need your hearing tested.
FIL: WHAT!?!
Jen: I SERIOUSLY THINK YOU MIGHT BE A WEE BIT DEAF!
FIL: I'M NOT SHAGGING DEAF!!!
Jen: Don't you think it's evident?
FIL: WHO THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING AN ELEPHANT!!!!????

Oh, Lord. I just about laughed myself silly. :icon_rofl:

Cat n bull
June 28th, 2012, 11:39 AM
LOL! Thanks so much for sharing, what a funny story!:lol:

Sandy Navas
June 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I am cracking up. The local hearing aid places keep sending out these beautifully engraved announcements to come in for a free hearing check. They are always addressed to Al and the granddaughters love it if one arrives when they are around. They do tease him for me. Actually he's not that bad . . . yet.

So funny, Jenny. My bubble-laughter shot of the day.

CrazyMtnLady
June 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
LOL!!!!!! How funny. But I understand where you are coming from. My DH is only 51 and has trouble hearing certain tones. I will be sleeping and he will decide to watch a movie and have the volume turned up so that at the first loud noise in the movie I am awake! He really needs a hearing aid but refuses to go. I even bought him a listening device so he wouldn't have to turn up the volume so loud but he won't use that either.

Claire Hallman
June 28th, 2012, 12:14 PM
What a great story. I have been laughing out loud so much I had to read it to my husband.
It was funny that my DGM [95] and great aunt [93] lived together in an apartment, you could hear their TV when you got to the vestibule a staircase below yet they could hear one another in a normal tone of voice.:)

Jean Sewing Machine
June 28th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Oh, boy, life at your house sounds like a laugh a minute!

Cellomom
June 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Your story is hilarious! But so true...I've visited my parents and have left their home with my ears ringing because their TV is so loud. I feel your pain. Aren't you just the sweetest DIL with a caring heart :)

Sharon G
June 28th, 2012, 12:37 PM
What a riot! That is just so funny. Can't stop the giggles now.

There's an 'elephant' asleep in my bedroom right now so I shouldn't wake him :icon_tape:

quilter.martha
June 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I got a real good laugh from your story! As someone who has a significant hearing loss in one ear (and yes, I have a hearing aid), I really feel for you! It can be so hard living with someone who is hearing impaired. But, there is nothing wrong with needing an aide, its just like needing to wear glasses.

My father who is almost 88 got his very first hearing aid a year ago and it has helped him tremendously. Before that, there were times I had to call him on the PHONE to tell him we were outside ringing the doorbell and to come let us in!!!

sewbizzy
June 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM
So funny!!!
My dh has 2 hearing aids, so not too bad now...still doesn't hear everything---just what he wants to...lol
My dd was hard of hearing and when we would visit, you could hear his tv when you pulled in the alley behind their house...the walls literally did vibrate most of the day at his house!!!

Jenny Mulhall
June 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM
LOL! Nice to 'hear' I'm not the only one on this forum who has experienced this! :)

Poor Jack, he's a wee dote of a man but try to get him to do something he's set his mind against... oh, my! His old bed was a health hazard when they moved to our house (his wife has a special electric bed) so I replaced it while he was in hospital. Did he make me skip for it? Oh, yes! Still, if he'd only admit it, I think he really likes it... LOL!! :D

EnumclawGramma
June 28th, 2012, 01:08 PM
LOL thanks for sharing this Jen! You have such a wonderful way of telling a story. Do you blog??

buckeyequilter
June 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the laugh.

I think my DH has a hearing problem too..I can sit right next to him and I have to have him repeat what he says sometimes because I can't hear him - the TV is so loud. Sometimes I practically have to read his lips so I know what he's saying.

Jenny Mulhall
June 28th, 2012, 02:01 PM
LOL thanks for sharing this Jen! You have such a wonderful way of telling a story. Do you blog??

I don't actually. I have thought about it but I'm afraid I haven't the discipline to do it regularly - I can just aboout gather myself to feed everyone three times a day!

My Dad is the best yarn spinner I know, so if I can tell a tale... I expect "t'wasn't off the stones I licked it!" ;)

auntiemern
June 28th, 2012, 02:01 PM
That is just to funny. DH is very hard of hearing too, but just won't go get anything done about it. I am always getting on him about the volume. Funny though how he can be at the other end of the house, and if I am on the phone, he can hear what I am talking about.

Bubby
June 28th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Jen..Your story made my day! I lived with a Dad just like that!!! Then in later years my late husband went through the same thing. I finally convinced him to go for a hearing aid. At the initial appointment the hearing doctor gave him a temporary hearing device that he carried in his shirt pocket and it had an earplug like a walkman. One day we were in WalMart and when I wanted him to really hear me I would talk directly into the gadget in his shirt pocket. He thought that was pretty clever so he said something obscene to me, also talking into the gadget in his pocket, and somehow it was broacasted over the PA system in the store at top volume!! We were the two most red-faced people you ever saw in your life! LOL!!!!

Lonna
June 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Thank you so much for the laugh today I really did need it.

Monique
June 28th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Too funny. My hubby is pretty deaf in one ear and I am constantly repeating myself. Annoying.

buckeyequilter
June 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM
That is just to funny. DH is very hard of hearing too, but just won't go get anything done about it. I am always getting on him about the volume. Funny though how he can be at the other end of the house, and if I am on the phone, he can hear what I am talking about.

Oh yeah....mine can too...I'll get off the phone and he'll say "what were saying about 'whatever it is I was talking about'". He can also hear the sound of a debit card being taken out my purse.

Bubby
June 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Shirley...Are you saying men have selective hearing?.....say it isn't so!!!!

Genny
June 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM
OH my heavens...this is just too funny and you have much more patience then I do...:icon_rofl:

madampolo
June 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Gosh! Is everybody deaf? My hubby is too. He is almost completely deaf in one ear, and quite a bit in the other. He has hearing aids that he refuses to wear. I think they hurt his ears. I do know sometimes they can make a terrible sound. So, the TV (known in Ireland as a Telly) just get turned up loud. Jen, I laughed so hard at your story, and at your subsequent comments. The Irish have a most wonderful way of expressing themselves! I have been wanting to go to Ireland. I look at the travel information on Ireland all the time. My dream trip would be to fly to London for three days, just to see the touristy things there, catch a train to the coast, and take the ferry across to Dubland. Then I would rent a car and drive all over Ireland. I know you guys drive on the left the way the Brits do, so driving all over may mean all over the road. I'll let you know so you can keep your loved ones at home. Can you somehow insulate a room to keep the sound enclosed? Bubby, that was hilarious!

pcbatiks
June 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Jenny, Great story! I do feel for you about the tv volume. A tv with the volume to loud just rattles my nerves! My DH grandma used to watch tv like that.....you could hear what she was watching when you walked into her yard!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!

Jenny Mulhall
June 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Ooh! Mme Polo, if you take that trip, let me know! I'll help you avoid the expensive touristy places and recommend a few spots to visit. And if you're in the direction of Laois, remember: next time you're passing - don't! Come in and put your feet up! :)

sewmuchjan
June 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Oh my I haven't laughed like this in soooo long..... I know what ya'll mean!!! :icon_rofl:
Oh lordy lordy, my stars and garters, this thread is just such a hoot!!!! :lol:
Thank you Jen :icon_giggle:

Hugs,
Jan G.

bkthomas
June 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Too funny! Jen, you are a Sweetheart!!!

beadywoman
June 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for sharing - I really needed the chuckle!

beadywoman
June 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Jen..Your story made my day! I lived with a Dad just like that!!! Then in later years my late husband went through the same thing. I finally convinced him to go for a hearing aid. At the initial appointment the hearing doctor gave him a temporary hearing device that he carried in his shirt pocket and it had an earplug like a walkman. One day we were in WalMart and when I wanted him to really hear me I would talk directly into the gadget in his shirt pocket. He thought that was pretty clever so he said something obscene to me, also talking into the gadget in his pocket, and somehow it was broacasted over the PA system in the store at top volume!! We were the two most red-faced people you ever saw in your life! LOL!!!!

Oh, Bubby! That is hilarious!

Winniesfriend
June 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM
LOL, my DH has some hearing loss, has hearing aids - but doesnt wear them most of the time, I just dont get it, he gets frustrated when he cant hear me and I get annoyed when I have to repeat things over and again and the hearings aids are sitting on the table... Men

buckeyequilter
June 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM
DH can't hear very well....but he has the best eyesight humanly known....especially when he's driving, spotting deer 3 miles away or seeing snake in the woods under a tree, and I'm screaming or "watch where you're going"! :icon_eek:

MRoy
June 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
This thread is a HOOT! Jen, I'm a "mumbler" too...according to DH who keeps turning up the volume on the TV. Barb, I've been trying to get DH to check on hearing aids (losing battle, BTW) but I don't dare tell him what happened to your hubby...That would nail the lid shut once and for all. LOL!!

K. McEuen
June 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM
You know, you can't make this stuff up.

I'd have burst out laughing right in front of him, not sure I could have made it out of the room fast enough.

My dad was extremely hard of hearing, wore hearing aids in both ears. I was always telling him that he was beeping when his batteries were low. Such a high pitched squeal that he couldn't hear it. Sometimes I think they were more trouble than they were worth. My mom would get so mad at him, she's talk to him while he was watching TV and he wouldn't even notice she had said something. She thought he was ignoring her. Dad was concentrating so intently on the TV because he'd turn his hearing aids down to block so much outside noise. I finally told her, say his name first, get his attention, that's all that needed to be done.

Sandy Navas
June 28th, 2012, 11:54 PM

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. That would definitely be MY luck.

Musical_Starling
June 29th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Oh my goodness, this reminds me of my mother-in-law. Now MIL only has 50% hearing, has been that way since she was a young girl, but she only wears one hearing aid and she mis-hears stuff ALL THE TIME! lol It's usually a great laugh, because they can't mistake one word for something very similar that would still make sense, it has to be something like "elephant" lol Sometimes you just have to laugh, because there's really no other alternative

madampolo
June 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I asked my very hard of hearing hubby why he doesn't wear his hearing aids. He says they make his ears sore. Sounds like a problem with the fit. He bought them long before he met me, and hasn't worn them since I have known him. I think if it were me, I'd wear them. I would bet that many a hubby of the ladies on this forum are being asked the same thing.

butterfly123
June 30th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Great story

lilmouse
July 1st, 2012, 04:31 AM
Shirley; your smiley face at the end of your post just cracked me up...I have tears in my eyes I laughed so hard!

Divine Daisy
July 1st, 2012, 07:54 AM
What??????????????

RFREE
July 1st, 2012, 09:53 AM
This is to funny. I can relate. I have lost about 90%of the hearing in my right ear and I do stuff like that all the time.I misunderstand my daughter all the time. She gets so aggravated at me. I would love to tell you it will get better but....IT WON"T!!!!

Kathy63
January 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I took my Mom for a check up on her aids and I thought I might get a test - just for a base line - guess what I walked out with - 2 aids. What a difference it has made! Hearing loss runs in the family and I can tell that 4 of my sibs should be getting tested! I hope that you have enough room for the elephant, have you named him yet? I agree with Cellomom, you have a good and big heart!!

Sondra
January 12th, 2014, 12:14 PM
This made me laugh! I had to do a dramatic reading of it for my hubby.

Carolyn23
January 12th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Hilarious story and you are a really good story teller!

redcaboose1717
January 12th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Cute story ! I am sure I bug my DH John silly with the volume of our TV. John has awesome hearing for a man of 64 yrs old. Me ? Well, let's just say that the volume is probably a little loud at times......I need to give in and get my hearing tested. I know that my hearing isn't what it should be, and why I am waiting to have it tested is beyond me......
This year, the insurance I have will even pay up to a $1000.00 for a hearing aid....so why haven't I made an appt. yet ? Search me !

BellasQuilts
January 12th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Very funny story! And not so funny as well. My FIL was the same and 100% Irish as well. Stubborn ole coot and refused to use the great hearing aids he got. Now DH is following the same path. He says I mumble, the girls scold him all the time and say his quality of life would be better, but he stubbornly, like his father, refuses to go. I totally sympathize with you, dear!

Iris Girl
January 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM
What a laugh you gave me had to share with hubby. He is also suffering hearing loss in one ear from heavy machines where he used to work. TV is always up loud and he never hears what I am saying or tells me he thought I was talking to the kids...nevermind they are in the other end of the house. Can't hear me call him for dinner if he's at the other end of the house , but let me say something to the kids about him and he hears every word...even from the other end of the house.

Simply Quilting
January 12th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the laugh today :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Carol336
January 12th, 2014, 06:28 PM
That is so funny I'm laughing my behind off. As someone who wears hearing aids in both ears I can totally relate. The first sign of hearing loss for me was that everyone seemed to be mumbling, softly mumbling!! Now that I have the newest technology aids, I hear them loud and clear...still mumbling, but loud and clear - LOL. Seriously, the aids do help a great deal, but they can only do so much. And of course I can always turn them off when I don't want to hear....done that a time or 2 - LOL

Learner quilter
January 12th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Some years ago my cousin was visiting my Grandparents. She went into the living room and asked " do you want some Melon Granda." Granda replied "SMELLING who's smelling I'm not smelling". :icon_rofl:

Patrice
January 12th, 2014, 07:33 PM
LOLOL..That was to funny and this will be my husband. He refuses to wear a hearing aid and one ear is totally gone.

TRLSRL72
January 12th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the great laugh. I feel your pain. I grew up with my step dad having complete hearing loss in one ear, so the tv was always so loud. Now that I am married my DH has the same problem. What love has us endure. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Keep the funny stories coming please.

New York Sue
January 13th, 2014, 12:31 AM
This made me laugh! I had to do a dramatic reading of it for my hubby.

Me, too!
We had a lovely family friend that had a hearing deficit.
As my BIL and SIL Kate we're leaving a large gathering, my FIL asked him 'Did you meet Kate?'
'No. I had the pudding...'

tdimitrov77
January 13th, 2014, 01:26 AM
oh wow this is hilarious!!!! I mean sorry that you are going through this..but my oh my it made laugh so hard!!! Thanks for sharing this funny conversations!

SallyO'Sews
January 13th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Hahahahaha!!!!! Love this... thanks for sharing it with us!

marleyeve@gmail.com
August 10th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Love it!
We have our own story about my parents, Mother couldn't hear and admitted same. Several years ago, they were out to dinner and my dad asked the waiter for a glass of ice water. Mother looked at him and said, 'John, why did you ask for a fly swatter?'

alliek
August 10th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Oh My, how funny. I am so glad you can laugh at this! You are a blessing to them no matter how much they may grouse and grump. That is just the male ego that is fighting against his aging. Seriously, his not hearing can be an impediment to his safety. That is why we took my mom to live with us years ago. She couldn't hear a knock at her apartment door, the fire alarm going on in the apartment hallway, a car coming around a corner, etc. . I hope he does "give in" a little so someone can check his hearing and give him some relief. (you too!)

irishrn
August 10th, 2015, 01:52 PM
I completely relate as I live with a hubby who is deaf, refuses to get hearing aids and insists that if I didn't mumble there wouldn't be a problem!!! My TV is always on high and I can leave the same show on in another room with the sound off and follow along just fine!!! My TV setting is 11 his is 34!!! Deaf....... Ya think!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 10th, 2015, 02:00 PM
As long as you can laugh at it, things will be OK! This is hilarious!