PDA

View Full Version : How to make a quilt with your old horse show ribbons

mandybear
August 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi, i am needing some help. i would like to make a quilt with my old horse show ribbons but don't know where to start. Has any one out there made one before? my ribbons are made out of felt and some have not held their shape, streched from where they have been tied around my horses neck. I am a person that it would neally kill me to cut them up so i would like to keep them as they are if possible. And how would i go about sewing them together? What to sew them to. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

HELP

Cheers
Mandybear:icon_wave:

Judy in Waco
August 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Here's an idea...just consider it. Take photos of the ribbons and add photos of you and the horses, etc... Don't you also get flowers and trophies sometimes too? Well, make a photo transfer quilt. Put the photos on fabric and make a quilt with the photos. Make the sashing and borders with pretty floral fabric or other rustic or "horse-themed" fabric.

I would find another way to preserve your actual ribbons. Maybe shadow boxes? Those are enclosed and you can get some that are archival quality.

pdjewelrylady
August 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I would have to agree with Judy - the fabric photos are fast and easy and would make into a much nicer and useful quilt. Preserve your actual ribbons in another way. :)

hillbilly
August 12th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Hi, i am needing some help. i would like to make a quilt with my old horse show ribbons but don't know where to start. Has any one out there made one before? my ribbons are made out of felt and some have not held their shape, streched from where they have been tied around my horses neck. I am a person that it would neally kill me to cut them up so i would like to keep them as they are if possible. And how would i go about sewing them together? What to sew them to. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

HELP

Cheers
Mandybear:icon_wave:

I had a girl in my 4H group make one for a project. It turned out beautifully. But, she did have to cut them a bit. She had to cut the tops off to make the rectangle shapes. Then she used interfacing on the backs of them to help them hold their shape. You could make plain blocks and pin the ribbons I suppose. :icon_beuj:

jrchapman
August 12th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I had a quick look online and there are a lot of quilts made with horse show ribbons. They seem to use them just like any other strips.

This fence rail quilt looks nice and easy, you could use the tutorial on the tutorials page. It keeps the ribbons intact so you can read any writing on them and then maybe you could sew the rosettes on to the corners.

toggpine
August 17th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Your challenge will be if you have ribbons and banners of different sizes. I am guessing that this will be a wall quilt. Our rosettes have a cardboard base that the ruffles are attached to. The streamers can be used, but the rosette itself would have to be displayed differently.
The rail fence pattern would be the best for the flat ribbons. The felt "banners" could be used as a border to the flats. Good luck!
Post photos when you finally decide how to handle them! I have boxes of them myself from years of goat shows. We have started to recycle the flats to help keep the show costs down for the sponsoring association. We keep the pretty rosettes since those are dated. Each flat we return to the show saves them 10 to 20 cents. That adds up when you have a couple hundred animals in a show.