PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "BOY" fabric (preferrably precuts)

Annette Holbrook
June 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'm having a terrible time trying to find precuts (either charm packs or jellyrolls) in what I consider to be boy prints. I'd love to find something that is colorful but NOT BABYISH, NO PINK, NO FLORALS. I have four nephews whom I would like to make quilts for, but I'm just not finding something that they can use for a long time, to grow up with. They're only 1, 4 (twins) and 8 years old. I'm new to quilting, so I wanted to use the precuts to keep my frustration levels down. (Plus, Jenny makes everything look SO EASY in the video tutorials!!) Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I think MSQC has a lot of precuts from Riley Blake that are oriented toward boys. I used Pirates from them for my grandsons age 7 and 9. The I Spy series comes in Boy or Girl versions. For the yonger one, I used Scoot, which has all kinds of transportation. I used double lice layer cake for the pirates and D9P for the Scoot charm packs.

From talking to Meghan at the shop, she told me they try to order Riey Blake stuff oriented to boys, and the girlie stuff comes from other manufacturers. Look over what they have in Riley Blake, I'll bet you'll find something. There's always licensed stuff in yardage that you can use, cowboy and patriotic also seem to go over with boys. And of course, there's camo.

If you can find one of those June Tailor Shape cut rulers, they come in two sizes, you can cut your yardage into squares or strips in no time flat, it will save you money and give you more flexibility in choosing fabrics.

I made a Richard Scarry Busytown quilt for my 4 year old grandson, he loved it. Found it at a local shop.

Found Mischief for boys by Benartex,

Jean Sewing Machine
June 8th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Found I Spy a couple of places. Perfect for boys http://www.missouriquiltco.com/this-just-in-new-quilting-products/precuts-charm-packs-jelly-rolls-layer-cakes-turnovers-honey-buns-dessert-rolls-etc/i-spy-primary-layer-cake-by-kanvas-for-benartex-fabrics.html

Here's anther place that has I Spy precuts http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=F8SPORTS

EnumclawGramma
June 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I'm making a quilt for my great nephew using Riley Blake's "Peak Hour". Bright colors, cars....really cute!

auntiemern
June 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Mischief is another cute precut for boys at M*. I think it is a growable fabric.

SummerK
June 8th, 2012, 11:41 PM
10 Little Things by Moda is another cute boy line. Also, if you look around, you can still find Meadow Friends in the boy color wave. It's darling with bugs, turtles, lizards, and leaves. Michael Miller has a few cute boy lines too...I have some Children at Play that has rockets, bicycles, stripes and polka dots in dark blue, red, and green. I know someone else mentioned it already, but Peak Hour is super cute...I just got some this week.

tilelady
June 8th, 2012, 11:47 PM
send me one of your little ones for the summer, i will find some fabric,,,,,lololol,,,only girls around this grannie,,,,,

CrazyMtnLady
June 9th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I know it is so hard to find boy fabric unless it is "cartoon" oriented. The same goes with knitting and crochet patterns, it is so easy to find cute little dresses but when it comes to things for boys it isn't that easy.

buckeyequilter
June 9th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I'm just finishing up a quilt for a little boy made with the Meadow Friends jelly roll....I really like the colors in it.

Slokarma
June 12th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I was looking for young boy ideas myself and ran across a couple of websites with some different fabrics. One of them being advertised as having boy/ men fabrics. I haven't ordered from them, but their fabric selection had some stuff I hadn't seen anywhere else. http://www.bugfabric.com/

I was too thrilled about their shipping costs, but I got to see what else is out there.

GrammaBabs
June 20th, 2012, 09:37 AM
right now Clotilde has some really cute boy fabric.... their quality is more than "good" and clearance has a lot to offer,, i was looking there just a minute ago... if you need a bargain... check them out!!!

zenkitty
June 29th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Run,Run, Robot by Quilting Treasures is a great line...Mechanical Genius as well. I was searching like you and went down the robot route. There seems to be quite a lot. Spoonflower.com has all kinds of original fabric that you can begin with and match with whatever colors you want.
Sports Xtreme line of fabric has skate boarding, bike acrobats for the older boy.

LeeAnnS
July 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
I am trying to find some precuts - either layer cakes or charm packs - with flannel geared towards guys. My boys are 21 and 25. I really want to make them some rag quilts for Christmas but it looks like I'll be cutting out my own squares. Ugh!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
I am trying to find some precuts - either layer cakes or charm packs - with flannel geared towards guys. My boys are 21 and 25. I really want to make them some rag quilts for Christmas but it looks like I'll be cutting out my own squares. Ugh!
Get a June Tailor Shape Cut or Shape Cut Pro, you won't mind cutting squares or strips. The difference between the two is the size.

SisterDi
February 10th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Here is a good boy fabric collection, only 10" squares and FQs left in pre-cuts: http://www.connectingthreads.com/kits/Soaked_Fat_Quarter_Sampler__D5410.html

And here are some older boy flannels: http://www.connectingthreads.com/kits/Big_Sky_Lodge_Flannel_Fat_Quarter_Sampler__D5407.h tml

Lissau
February 10th, 2013, 05:25 AM
l've got a nephew who will be 12 in may and l'd really love to make him a quilt for his birthday but next to impossible to find fabric in his favorite color "green" without flowers or girly things on them..l dont mind cutting my own strips or squares but its just finding the right fabric

SisterDi
February 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Here's some green for ya. I used it on the back of one nephew's football quilt. I had five nephews to sew for.

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-novelty-conversational-quilt-fabrics-sports-games-sports-life-sports-life-football-field-double-border-green.aspx?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

jennyann
February 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Have you seen. The socky fabric! Sooo cute. It is the socky monkey and bananas. It believe the colors are red, black, yellow, white, brown, and I think a turquoise/green color.

bhaggerty
February 11th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Catch of the day
it has alot of green and is all about fishing
bought some for my 12 year old
he has not seen it, but I know he will love it!

he has an airplane quilt on his bed now, but is wishing for fishing quilt!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Trains, planes and automobiles, Sockey, Curiosity for boys, 10 little things, there is a new train line out that has retro line drawings of vintage trains, it is cool for the older train afficianado, I was considering getting it for my 63 year old brother who loves trains. plus you could make many "box" quilts that are modern looking and would appeal to an older boy.

My grandsons are in the 5-9 age range, I can entertain them quite well with lego, Star Wars, pirates, and small transportation. Another good theme is dinosaurs, aliens. I made a really cute black, red and white alien jelly roll quilt for boys that I gave to my church for an auction. I had to find the fabric and cut my own strips.

And camo is always appealing to boys, it seems.

Iris Girl
February 11th, 2013, 09:12 AM
wild animals always works I did a foot quilt with bears and trees for my 29 year old son... he loves it so much I can't get it back to get a picture

Slokarma
February 18th, 2013, 12:32 AM
I found some motorcycle fabric.

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=644a59b3-b3e0-4dfe-8a24-4b0382457f7c&CategoryID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

pamipatch
February 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Summerville by Moda is my fav for 'growable' boy fabric at the moment...