• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbiequilter
    Batting Beauty
    • May 2010

Help! with inset seams

At least I think that's the name - when you need to attach a piece to two other pieces where there is a corner. Is that clear? I bought a kit, first had to make the templates, then cut the pieces, so there are certainly little errors in the edges. Now I need to join a triangle to two other pieces that are already joined. I end up with a pucker. Have ripped, ripped, ripped. Are there any tutorials or videos to help with this? Thanks!
  • cathys311
    9 Patch Princess
    • Mar 2010

Re: Help! with inset seams

Don't know if this website will help or not... but here it is.

Tutorials - Inset seam - Coming up in the triangle LS 10, this seam isn't quite a Y seam as there is no seam leading to the pivot point. I tend to tackle these a different way, working from the pivot out. First determine where the pivot point is. Line up the two patches, using a pin to get the pivots together, and

Comment

• Barbara W
      Machine Stitcher
      • Jul 2010

Re: Help! with inset seams

Originally posted by cathys311 View Post
      Don't know if this website will help or not... but here it is.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-34097-1.htm
      The video from above is excellent. I've always heard them referred to as "Y" seams. I took a class one time and had to do 12 blocks with three of these y-seams in each block. I became quite proficient at them after that My trick for them is to leave two stitches on each side of the pivot - but two stitches isn't very much when doing them by machine. I have a friend who hand sews everything when quilting and her y-seams seem easier when I watched her (she claims her hand sewing allows her to put the needle exactly where it belongs to get get perfect match-ups of everything). Good luck with your quilt.
      Barbara W

Comment

Working...
      X