PDA

View Full Version : See ya

kelliedi
June 5th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I just want everyone to know how much I have enjoyed getting to know everyone. I feel like there are what i call "true friends" here. I am quitting quilting for the simple reason that I can never get it right to the finish. I can make the top but never get the back/binding right. The quilt i'm currently on will be my last.

thanks so much
kellie

Swedish leo
June 5th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Oh no!! Please dont stop quilting. YOu will get it right with time. Maybee there is some one closer to you that could help you with the final stages of the quilt. Please reconsider. Much love Annika

bkthomas
June 5th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Awwww...please don't go!!! I just did my first rag quilt and was thinking that this is the way to go from now on! It was getting pretty warm in my sewing room but I could not stop till all the sewing was done. I was really pleased and excited how it looked when all the clipping was done and it is in the wash now! Have you ever tried rag quilts? As they say easy peasy - it was so much fun!!!

brook
June 5th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I'm so sorry that you are quitting because your struggling with getting the back/binding right. I wish I were there to talk you through whatever problems you're having. I hope that somewhere down the road you will try again. -Coleen- : )

kelliedi
June 5th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I have watched every video i could and to no avail. Not only that but most of my family has discouraged me . I guess i'm suppose to not have any interest.
kellie

bakermom
June 5th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Sorry you feel so discouraged! You know, there's nothing wrong with just making tops. That's the only part of quilting some people like. could you ask around and see if there is someone that would finish the tops for you?

madampolo
June 5th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I am not sure why your family would discourage you. Is it that it is taking you away from them for too long? Everyone of us struggled with some aspect of quilt making at first. I would encourage you to keep at it. It is actually a fun thing to do.

auntiemern
June 5th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Sounds to me like you are just having a rough time in your life right now. No one ever gets it 'right' in the beginning. Are you trying to machine quilt or hand quilt. I have just recently started to machine quilt. And my FMQ is gawd awful. Getting the back right, what isn't right? put up some pics and let us help you. I know first hand what it is like to not have a support system for all you are feeling. PM me if you want to or need someone to talk to. Don't let anyone make you feel like you are not important, or what you want to do is less important than something else. If you really want to do something, set your mind to it and just do it. Don't let nay sayers get you down or make you discouraged. You have support here, and I don't know your family, but they have no right to discourage you from being creative, and being interested in something. Sounds mighty ****ed selfish to me. I am a good listener and if you need to or want to talk about anything, I will not judge. Like Kathy said, try a rag quilt. They are so fun and easy to do. Please don't give up on something you want to make others happy.

Meli
June 5th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Oh, kellie, don't give up! I recommend going to your local fabric store or quilt shop and ask for hands-on help. You obviously started quilting for a reason. Remember what that reason is and cling to that. Keep working on it. I GUARANTEE you that your experience can't be worse than mine with my first quilt. If I can learn to do this, I knjow that anyone can. Every new quilt I start, I learn something new. At some point I'll be able to make quilt blocks the size they're supposed to be (mine always come out smaller than expected), but I'm not letting that hold me back. And someday I'll learn FMQ or even just straight machine quilting. Hang in there, girlfriend. You can do it!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Kellie, NOOOOO don't give up! You were so giving of your time to make those quilts for your friends. You took on a big job making a quilt for your friend, a king size quilt. And the Rubber Duckies need to come to life! I'm like Marilyn, i can give you a shoulder to lean on to get you through it. But if quilting is making you crazy, or you feel frustrated by it and it is no fun, then it is time to rethink about continuing. If I can read between the lines, it sounds like someone else is writing the script for your life, and possibly taking the joy out of something you really enjoy. So I hope you can work through this.

I got to a point in my life where I had to say "I'm not taking on any more guilt". Meaning I wouldn't let others drive me for making me feel guilty for taking care of myself. We all come to that point sooner or later. Examine what you believe and stand up in action, especially if others have expectations that aren't reasonable or are hurtful to you.

Jenny Mulhall
June 5th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Hello Kellie,

Don't give up your Quilting. I'm just beginning and only in my dreams can I make the quilts you're so ashamed of! Everything is relative, you need to respect your own talent (an abundance of it!) and just persevere with the parts you feel you need to work on.

The mechanics of neat and ordered quilting - Free Motion or otherwise - is something which can be mastered with practise, time and the great advice and support of the lovely quilters here. Your eye for colour, however - that's something inherent to you which cannot be learned. I think you're lucky!

Don't give up. You'll be miserable. Sew a raggedy quilt as the nice ladies on here suggest and make it your mission to conquer your 'tricky bits'. You're fortunate that you've only one tricky bit to master - I can't sew in a straight line and these 1/4 inch seams are KILLING me! :)

Jenny x

Edited to add: I just read Jean's post. Therein lies wisdom! Perhaps lay your Quilting aside (not away!) for a bit and take it up again with Passion one you've sorted other things out. (hugs)

Margok
June 5th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Are you hoping to please the nay-sayers? It won't work as they have no understanding of the personal benefits of quilting. Everyday there is something new to learn about quilting. That is what makes it so intersting. Consider it your own world and enjoy the beauty and order you create thru design. I have to send my quilt top to someone else to quilt and I ask them to apply the binding to the front and I hand sew it to the back. Its ok to work that way. Work on small items until you feel comfortable to move on to something larger.

craftychris
June 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Oh Kellie - PLEASE don't go. You have so much to give.

DCM
June 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I don't know about other charities (like the Linus Project) but I think any chapter of the Quilts for Kids organization (through Downy softener - you can go on their website to find the chapter closest to you) would appreciate pieced tops -- they could get someone else to sandwich/quilt/bind them and pass them on to kids in hospitals to brighten their day. If you enjoy just piecing tops you can also take them to a long arm quilter and all the laq's that I've dealt with thus far sandwich and quilt the quilt for you and they will also put the binding on for an additional charge. So, you could continue to piece tops and have a couple of options for finishing the quilt. Only you can make the decision regarding whether quilting is something enjoyable to you or whether it's stressful to you. For me it's a way to get away from the stresses of life -- I'm not an artistic person (can't draw, paint, etc.) but when I can sew pieces of fabric together to make something pretty, I get a lot of enjoyment and personal satisfaction from that accomplishment. Good luck.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Kellie, look at Suzi's "it's Good to be Back" post. She took a break because life got in the way, and made her way back. So if you decide leaving the quilt forum and the quilting hobby behind, remember it will always be there for you, and we want you back. Whatever you decide is best for you, go for it. You've got friends here, whenever you want us, we'll be there for you. Love ya! Jean

And if you want help with those quilt tops, let me know, I can pitch in to help out!

buckeyequilter
June 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Hi Kellie,

Looks like we joined about the same time...I'm new to quilting too. My quilts are far from "perfect", the first thing I made was the Christmas tree skirt from Jenny's video and it looks terrible, the squares are not lined up and we won't even discuss the binding. But I keep quilting and sewing and it does get better.

People telling me to give it up would then make it a challenge for me to prove them wrong!

I make quilt sandwiches that I practice on...quilting, binding or anything I want to try. Like some of the ladies suggested, maybe there is a quilt shop or someone that quilts nearby that you can get some hands on time with. If not, just keep practicing and you will get there!!

Take care :)

kelliedi
June 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Here are the issues that I'm having ON EVERY quilt... I pin the binding on and sew it on and in the corners it either shortens the back or gets bunched up. The other is the quilt before. I'm beyond frustrated with this but need to get it done and out of the house. I feel like i can't charge as much now as I could have if I didn't have this problem. kellie

DCT4
June 5th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Kellie,
I am sorry your family is not supporting you in your hobby...I have just started quilting this year, my first was a king size double wedding ring made from a temple and interfacing (son is getting married in few weeks). It is a mess, but my neighbor told me, you make mistakes along the way, but it comes with love for the person you are making for. We all have trial and errors in our lives, but we grow from them. Please do not give up. I think I seen your name in the new BOM, Come back and learn with me..Newbees need to stick together...
Last August I had a brain tumor removed, no cancer, but each morning I had to get up, put one foot in front of the other just to learn to walk straight again..now I hav to learn this 1/4 scant thingee? One stich at a time.

buckeyequilter
June 5th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Here are some binding tutorials from you tube, I watched several before I found a method that worked for me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INh6sVKJRrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2PajesRvU&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt-DeDuJWkU&feature=fvwrel (this one shows how to miter a corner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVA05MxXTU&feature=related

Hope these help...good luck!

CrazyMtnLady
June 5th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Kelli, please don't be discouraged. I know that is hard to do, I grew up that way. I loved to draw, paint and write poetry as a child and no matter what I did my father ALWAYS found some fault in it. I gave up for the longest time. Now at 57 I am back to sewing, quilting, writing and once in awhile I will even draw and pick up my paint brushes. And believe me, my father might be gone, but my husband sure can pick up where dad left off. Now, I just say, "It's my project....and I like it. If you think you can do better, go for it." That usually shuts him up for a bit. LOL.
I wish you lived closer, I would gladly come over and work with you. Mind you I am far from perfect and HATE the way my bindings look, but practice makes perfect as they say. However, California, MO is about 3 hours north of me. I would try to find someone in your area that would be willing to work with you. But, don't give up, you would be robbing yourself and the rest of us of a beautiful talent.

pcbatiks
June 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Kellie, Hope you decide to continue quilting. It can be good therapy when you're down or stressed. The quilts in your album look great! I think all of us worry to much about the mistakes on our projects......but most people don't see them. We just know where our mistakes are! I agree with some of the other suggestions. If you enjoy piecing try to find someone to team up with that enjoys quilting and binding. Hope all the encouraging support helps you. Take Care.

HandsOffItsMine
June 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Kellie, don't give into your family.

I found Eleanor Burn's binding video worked the best for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85voeoj50Y I love Jenny but Eleanor's video was slower and more detailed which was what my OCD brain needed. lol

Also keep in mind...that is a large, large quilt that you are doing! Even an experienced quilter would have a hard time keeping puckers and folds off the back of that one. You're not doing a baby quilt. My Lord girlfriend, when I was reading your story, I didn't realize you were the one with the beach theme fabric. :)

Keep on going, come back here for support. See if you can find a local quilting friend through a quilting store/guilt. Look online under a search for Modern Quilters, they tend to have a younger crowd.

Hang in there! Huggers, Ruby

Sandy Navas
June 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Kellie, I'm gonna have to float down there and whop some good sense into you if you continue on this line of thinking. Believe me, I have turned out some real pieces of 'junk' (not actually what I was thinking) and have even given away things that I'm certainly NOT PROUD of. I don't know who is trying to influence you, but as someone from Missouri I know you are way too stubborn just to quit.

DON'T GIVE IN!!!!

Lisa Albrecht
June 5th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Kellie...dear. I moved from Michigan to Idaho two years ago. I have not met anyone in the area to hang out with..so I decided to take a beginning quilt class at our local quilt shop. My husband and kids (that are still at home) don't share in my quilt enthusiasum...but I sew for my own sanity. My good friends back home..none of the them sew either so I really don't have anyone close to me to help me when I am stuck, give encouragement to my projects. It is something I do for me. Life is a balancing act..all the way around. If you choose to give up this hobby, I hope you are doing so because it is what you want to do, and I hope that you find something to nourish your soul and give you a creative outlet.

csarina
June 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Kellie, don't give up. when I first started quilting none of my backs were flat and some of the fronts were not either, in fact I have a quilt hanging in the hall that has a bunched seam on the front, its the second quilt I made and every time I look at it I remember it took me quite a while to iron out all the problems I had. I was lucky I had a good friend who helped me, I no longer live near her and I miss her so much.

See if you can find a group or someone who will give you a lift on the way, it will come right in the end. I have just cracked FMQ after about 4 years of doing what I called country quilting, none of the stitches were the same size, I would start off fine and then my brain would take over my hands and the stitches would get longer, then shorter........this week I FMQ the border on a wall hanging for a friend and its all even stitches.......hoo bloomin' ray, I have got it at last.

auntiemern
June 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Where exactly is California MO, I am just SW of St. Louis. Maybe we could meet up or something and I could help you out with your binding issues.

Lisa Albrecht
June 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM
So nice of you Marilyn!

kelliedi
June 5th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Marilyn it is half way between Jeff city and sedilia on highway 50. kellie

RFREE
June 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Kellie Please don't throw in the towel. Practice makes perfect and shoot I have been sewing for years and I still put out some rough looking stuff. Why not put the quilts away for a while and work on quick things like totes, table runners,place mats,wall hangings or any other quick finish projects? That's what I do. I am very impatient at times and find working on totes is just the ticket. I can finish one in a couple of hours and get lots of practice too. My bindings suck ;just for the record; but I love to sew bottom line. I like doing it so I keep on sewing. Just take a break for a while and it will come to you.Or I can just join Sandy and come down there and whoop some sense in you!!!
THINK ABOUT IT!!!
Hugs
Rhonda

EnumclawGramma
June 5th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Wow....lots of wonderful support here! I sure hope you get something from this and are able to keep on going. Don't give up, and don't let ANYONE discourage you! It's SO worth it!

auntiemern
June 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM
If you want to send me the quilt I will be glad to put the binding on for you. No charge of course. How long would it take you to get to St. Louis, roughly, then I can figure out how far you are from me. So let me get this right, you are west of JC? Not towards Hermann?

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2012, 09:39 PM
If you want to send me the quilt I will be glad to put the binding on for you. No charge of course. How long would it take you to get to St. Louis, roughly, then I can figure out how far you are from me. So let me get this right, you are west of JC? Not towards Hermann?Marilyn, go down i-44 to Hiway 50 and go west about 75 miles, go 25 miles past Jeff City to Hiway 87, that will take you up to California, MO. I used to take that route (Hiway 50) all the time when they were fixing I-44 near Cuba/Sullivan/Rolla. And my base of work operations was in Jeff City. So I took Hiway 50 into Jeff City. But now, don't they have the lanes closed on I-44 near the Washington Exit? Must be a nightmare for as many people who travel on that road.

Lisa Albrecht
June 5th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I just noticed under kelliedi's name it states " Binding Belle" lol

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I just noticed under kelliedi's name it states " Binding Belle" lol She will be soon!

kelliedi
June 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM
haha that is tooo funnie. I'm almost done only one more side and corners. then I'm calling it D O N E . kellie

Monique
June 5th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Kellie, the first "real" quilt I made is the eight-pointed star. I knew nothing of squaring blocks, how to add sashing (did not even know what it was called). I know there are a lot of mistakes in that quilt that I would be embarassed to see now. I had started it for my mother who passed away before I got it finished. I did eventually finish it in time to give to my oldest son and daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. I am still proud of my first quilt, bad mistakes and all. I hand quilted it too. I have learned so much since then. I did have problems with the binding until I watched Jenny's tutorial over and over again. I still can not put a binding on by hand, has to be machine sewn on the front and hand sewn on the back.

Don't give up. Sometimes you just need to take a step back for a bit. Don't quit for the others. My husband doesn't understand either but I do it for the enjoyment and not for anyone else's pleasure.

Place an ad on the bulletin board at your local library, or quilt store or anywhere else a quilter might go. A retirement home, perhaps there are quilters there who would be more than happy to help you.

Chin up. Seems like you have a lot of supporters here in the group.

quiltingtrish
June 5th, 2012, 11:50 PM
You can't leave NOW Kellie, you've got friends here and beautiful quilts to make. I truly hope that you find that video that clicks or perhaps a class to help out - maybe you can meet someone in the middle to help.
Your family doesn't have to understand your choices, but I wouldn't let them stop me from doing what I enjoy.

HUGS,

kelliedi
June 6th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their encouragement to continue. I really think i was overwhelmed at the moment and it truly came to a head so to speak. Add to the problem is that i had started a dresden plate for my dad that I wanted to get done for fathers day and guess what.... not happening... snowballs chance and all that. oh and of course my sons quilt that he is anxiously awaiting..... so yes that is right I have 3 quilts started and want them all done today....not happening....

anyway thank you once again for the encouragement
kellie

Lisa Albrecht
June 6th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I know how you feel...I have three in process and then of all things my darn machine broke down. It is always something!

auntiemern
June 6th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I don't know about any closures, we never go that way. We go out 30 to St. Clair when going to lake, which is the only place I go except for the occasional visit to Piedmont to visit Rhonda. I don't get to far from home :), but am looking forward to going to M* with you. Don't know if my body can handle that far a drive and back all in one day though. Will be making trip to CG if my Bubby doesn't stat showing some improvement in the next day or 2 with his HFMD. I almost cried when I saw him this evening. He is absolutely pitiful looking, and is having trouble walking because his feet hurt so bad.
Marilyn, go down i-44 to Hiway 50 and go west about 75 miles, go 25 miles past Jeff City to Hiway 87, that will take you up to California, MO. I used to take that route (Hiway 50) all the time when they were fixing I-44 near Cuba/Sullivan/Rolla. And my base of work operations was in Jeff City. So I took Hiway 50 into Jeff City. But now, don't they have the lanes closed on I-44 near the Washington Exit? Must be a nightmare for as many people who travel on that road.

kelliedi
June 6th, 2012, 02:11 AM
UPDATE: IT'S D O N E!!!!! Now don't look too close but i did do the strips of fabric that is in the quilt for the binding like everyone suggested. I think it turned out FINEl These pics are before washing so we will see how it fares in the washer.... I'm back on track WOOT WOOT.

KELLIE

auntiemern
June 6th, 2012, 02:22 AM
So glad to hear that you finished it. Welcome back:)
UPDATE: IT'S D O N E!!!!! Now don't look too close but i did do the strips of fabric that is in the quilt for the binding like everyone suggested. I think it turned out FINEl These pics are before washing so we will see how it fares in the washer.... I'm back on track WOOT WOOT.

KELLIE

sewsoft
June 6th, 2012, 03:30 AM
That looks very nice, I can't figure out how to get my binding like that.

Monique
June 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Way to go Kellie! Now don't you feel good? The others will get done when they get done. Have fun with it.

Sandy Navas
June 6th, 2012, 08:35 AM
See, we knew you were worth keeping! We don't throw minnows back in the pond here! What is next for you? Now you know that you've promised us you are hanging around with us.

Blondie
June 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Hiya Kellie

Just seeing this thread and reading it. You know, kiddo, we have the BESTEST friends. And I mean that most sincerely. It encouraged me reading all the encouragement you received. I understand your frustration. My work is always off, but, I keep telling myself that is what I like.. It is homemade. I do not work in a professional assembly line production. It is made with my hands, my time, my love, my prayers and that is all that matters. I may have OCD and ADD tendencies but I assure I am not a perfectionist. Your work is lovely. Your family is blind and possibly jealous of your time. Do kids still say "Talk to the hand?" I'd tell them that. lol. And never forget how many besties you have here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/icon-2.jpg

EnumclawGramma
June 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Hiya Kellie

Just seeing this thread and reading it. You know, kiddo, we have the BESTEST friends. And I mean that most sincerely. It encouraged me reading all the encouragement you received. I understand your frustration. My work is always off, but, I keep telling myself that is what I like.. It is homemade. I do not work in a professional assembly line production. It is made with my hands, my time, my love, my prayers and that is all that matters. I may have OCD and ADD tendencies but I assure I am not a perfectionist. Your work is lovely. Your family is blind and possibly jealous of your time. Do kids still say "Talk to the hand?" I'd tell them that. lol. And never forget how many besties you have here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/icon-2.jpg

Ditto to all the above! (And your quilt looks AWESOME Kellie! Way to hang in there and get her done!

buckeyequilter
June 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM
It looks great!!! Now keep going and it will get easier. I think after I learned how - binding is just about my favorite part of the sewing....I enjoy doing the back by hand :)

HAVE FUN!!!!

CrazyMtnLady
June 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
The quilt looks fantastic. So glad you stuck with it and got back on track. Now just remember if you ever start doubting your ability again to just let us know...we will gladly get together and knock some sense into you. Just kidding, but we will be here to offer you support when ever you need it.

bkthomas
June 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hip Hip Hooray!!! Kellie is Here To Stay!!!!

BellasQuilts
June 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Well there ya go. It didn't hurt at all, did it? Good on you girl for sticking to your guns. Good lesson for the kids: never give up no matter what others may say. Believe in yourself.

aliaslaceygreen
June 6th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Kellie, I just found this thread, and it made my heart hurt that your were letting your family pressure you, along with all the pressure you have put on yourself.
Quilting needs to first be about expressing yourself, showing yourself. Maybe you will never be perfect (I know I'm not) but I get joy out of my time with fabric, momentary frustrations aside.
I think also maybe you are biting off more than you can chew. Most of us quilters aren't churning out a quilt a week for goodness sake!
This year, my goal is FINISHING 6 quilts I started YEARS ago. Anything else is a bonus.

IF you want to be making gifts for people, make very easy patterns and keep them small.
And ENJOY yourself. Don't make it something you slave over and stress over.
Go spend $20, buy them a sweater, and quilt for yourself for now!!
And, DON'T go running off..there are too many people who CARE...

sassyquilter
June 7th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Sometimes you just need to take a break for awhile and come back to it. Maybe in a couple weeks or months even, you can try again. Maybe even go to a quilt shop and just ask for advise. There was 15 yrs between the beginning and end of my first quilt:)

sassyquilter
June 7th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Just saw pics. Fantabulous:)

Tippysmom
August 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hello, newbie here, too. I sort of feel the same way as Kellie...discouraged.

I've had one class, but I am still scared to do anything! Am still working on that classes project, a wall hanging. My nine patch blocks are a little wonky, but I figure I can cover the most offensive ones with a button or yoyo. When it came to the quilting part, we were supposed to use a template on some of the blocks and it made a simple flower. Had trouble marking and getting the middle lines to match. I gave up and just used X's on all the blocks. The flower thing should have gone on the borders, but I ended up using half X's, made my own pattern.

I'm not afraid to do the binding, but squaring the thing up has stopped me in my tracks. I'm ready to throw the thing away. Why am I afraid to do anything?

I am supposed to take another series of classes, but now I'm not so sure. Kellie, are you still here and are you quilting?

Should I go on? I want to keep on, but not if my efforts look like trash.

Renate

SuziC
August 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
NOOOOOOOO don't do that. Everyone here is here to help!!!!!!!!

bhaggerty
August 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Don't give up! Take a break if you must, but do not give up!
My first 2 quilts (I pieced them in the early 80's) were (still are) so bad that I never layered or bound them.
I still have those 2 quilt tops at home in my sewing room though!
I enjoy looking at them but will probably never finish them!
My kids even tell me they are ugly and now I can laugh at them too!
At least make the quilt tops and set them aside.
My grandmother quilted but she died when I was only 7 years old.
My mom never did.
A few years ago, we were cleaning out an attic and found some pieced tops from my grandmother!
What a treasure!!
Since then, I have taught my mom how to quilt and we are working on completing them!

bhaggerty
August 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM
A good friend once told me that quilting is folk art - there is no right or wrong - it is art and needs to be appreciated!!!!

aqua-teal71
August 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Don't you dare stop, if you stop, for those reasons, then I have to also. My corners don't match, I don't miter. My bindings are puckered.
I was going to save this for another thread or just keep it to myself. My son married a girl in Sept, the following Dec they had a baby. In Feb, she filed for divorce. I made her and her grandmother(who was in a nursing home, quilts). When the baby was born, I had made her a tinkerbell quilt. Her mother left it at our house and never wanted it. Now my son will probably marry this new girl and she wants a baby. I said that i would get her a new quilt. She says, she has enough "blankets".
So to make a long story short, i still make baby quilts and give them away, because babies don't care whether your backing or fronting or binding match, meet , or coordinate. That's why Marilyn got two.
the first quilt i made for my husband was 90x90. in one year the batting had migrated into one corner. ten years later i redid old tex.
just dont stop, please.you have a beauty inside that needs to be released.

Tippysmom
August 30th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I want to finish it, I really do, but don't want anyone to look at it, does that make sense?

Maybe after this first hurdle is done I'll try the rag quilt kit I bought last year, or a jellyroll. Would that help my skills?

aqua-teal71
August 30th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Do you see the response you got for wanting to quit.
P.S. In 1979 I used to work int the turkey plant in California, mo. was married to a man from Tipton.
Long time ago,another life.

kelliedi
August 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Tipsy I do still quilt but I only do what I want to do.... I have to Challenge myself with every quilt though. I have to justify the expense of quilting so I do that by trying to learn something everytime. I ultimate goal is a a loan star quilt..... in blues and purples. So all of my quilts I'm building up to that. My next quilt will be a jacob's ladder. I know Genny has a tutorial for that but I have issues with getting angles right.
I want to encourage you to continue with your quilting. Like the saying says.... Every expert was an amateur at some point.... just keep trying and ask as many questions as you need and watch videos on you tube .... and realize that you may have to watch one video several times before it "clicks" and you may watch the same subject from different people before it finally clicks too.... and of course all of the quilters here are very encourageing...kellie

Jean Sewing Machine
August 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Tipsy I do still quilt but I only do what I want to do.... I have to Challenge myself with every quilt though. I have to justify the expense of quilting so I do that by trying to learn something everytime. I ultimate goal is a a loan star quilt..... in blues and purples. So all of my quilts I'm building up to that. My next quilt will be a jacob's ladder. I know Genny has a tutorial for that but I have issues with getting angles right.
I want to encourage you to continue with your quilting. Like the saying says.... Every expert was an amateur at some point.... just keep trying and ask as many questions as you need and watch videos on you tube .... and realize that you may have to watch one video several times before it "clicks" and you may watch the same subject from different people before it finally clicks too.... and of course all of the quilters here are very encourageing...kellieKellie, I can't tell you how my heart leapt with fear when I saw that "See ya" post pop up. I think you have come through the storm and give very excellent advice to new quilters.

I talked to someone who does the lone star quilts, and she referred to the "volcano" in the center of the quilt from all the seams coming together. I guess this is the challenge of building this quilt pattern. Forewarned! So if it happens when you do it, know that it happens to many quilters! I'm trying to avoid making things like that, even though they are extremely beautiful, they are a technical challenge (or nightmare!) So, I know I need more practice before I get into diamonds!

Hope you are having a nice "last weekend of summer", maybe you will be in rain, that is what the weatherpeople are predicting.

Jean

kelliedi
August 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Jean that lone star quilt is on my life list..... maybe in this lifetime.....I told someone today that this weekend was for me sitting on the front porch and watching the one inch cracks in my yard close up
Kellie, I can't tell you how my heart leapt with fear when I saw that "See ya" post pop up. I think you have come through the storm and give very excellent advice to new quilters.

I talked to someone who does the lone star quilts, and she referred to the "volcano" in the center of the quilt from all the seams coming together. I guess this is the challenge of building this quilt pattern. Forewarned! So if it happens when you do it, know that it happens to many quilters! I'm trying to avoid making things like that, even though they are extremely beautiful, they are a technical challenge (or nightmare!) So, I know I need more practice before I get into diamonds!

Hope you are having a nice "last weekend of summer", maybe you will be in rain, that is what the weatherpeople are predicting.

Jean

kelliedi
August 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM
tippsy a jelly roll rice quilt will help you with your 1/4 inch seam allowance. AND YOU WILL HAVE A UNIQUE AND FABULOUS QUILT IN THE END. They are also small enough that they are handled easily.

bkthomas
August 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I want to finish it, I really do, but don't want anyone to look at it, does that make sense?

Maybe after this first hurdle is done I'll try the rag quilt kit I bought last year, or a jellyroll. Would that help my skills?

YES YES YES!!! I had so much fun doing a rag quilt - Renate, take your time, walk away when it gets you down - it's like those 500 piece puzzles,
you can't see that ANY thing will fit, but when you come back to it you start poppin things right into place!

When I logged on today and saw the title to this thread I thought "Oh no Kelli, not again!" He He

Tippysmom
August 31st, 2012, 07:07 AM
Ok, when I get this one done, I'll try the rag and maybe a jellyroll. I bought a panel with the alphabet that's supposed to make a book for a baby. I would love to make a quilt out of that.

I'll keep trying. Thank you all!

janluna
August 31st, 2012, 08:38 AM
Kelli, I'm sure Jenny and the girls could finish your quilts for you until you are ready to do it yourself. Or a local longarm quilter in your area.
I don't know who is making you feel bad about quilting but ignore them! This is something that is calming and creative. It helps me get through hard times and keeps me sane. If I can do this, believe me, You can. You have a gift Sweetie, don't let it go down the tubes. Keep watching the videos until you find the method that works for you. Please don't leave. Besides, where on Earth would you get this kind of love and support. Especially being in Missouri, with Sandy, and the rest of the girls from that state. Not to mention MSQC! And, you have the gift of teaching in your soul. You do that well, You have helped others already. I started quilting 3 years ago. One day, my friend Dawn, said," With all we have learned in the past 3 years, I now consider us to be quilters." And she was right. There are 7 of us who decided to learn to quilt together. And if you look at all our stuff, you can see the improvement we have made. Don't give up, take a break for a while, and then do some more. Watch videos, read magazines, if I get doubles, I'll send them your way. Every once in a while the magazine company's have a thing where if you re-up your subscription they will give a year free to a friend. I will send your name if you would like. Then you will have magazines for a year to learn from for free! Think about it. OK? Love you, Jan L.

Tippysmom
September 1st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Ok, I am almost done with the binding; the end pieces are giving me fits, but somehow it's going to go together! Then all I have to do is hand stitch the binding and I'll be DONE. It might be the world's ugliest, but it will be mine.

Maybe I'll have better luck with my next project?!

Cellomom
September 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Kellied and Tippysmom, you both sound like giving and creative women. Aren't the forum ladies awesome with their great advice?! Hope you keep those quilty hands busy and don't lose hope. Anything worth doing well requires patience and practice. I started cello lessons when I was 48 years old. I did have the fabulous support of my husband, but I had to practice even with all the "stuff" life throws at you. I've been playing for 8 years now in community orchestras, churches, and events. I also wanted to quit when I hit plateaus of skills and listening to younger players plays rings around me. Playing music with groups has given me so much joy and accomplishment. I began quilting 2 years ago and my quilts have the puckers too. I've done my share of frog sewing (as Jenny calls it). Ha! I just figure it's like playing a phrase of music over until it is beautiful! Go easy on yourselves and seek out positive sources of help. Hugs to you!

Tippysmom
September 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. What a caring group!

I may not ever be a good quilter, but I will keep trying my best. If nobody likes what I do, too bad!

mommadeb
September 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Even experienced quilters make mistakes. I don't consider myself an experience quilter and my quilts are far from perfect but ya know what? Many of the mistakes that I see probably aren't noticed by the receiver. They are just happy to have a homemade quilt. I learn everyday something new about quilting. Heck I just learned a few months ago that you should square up your quilt after it's been quilted. Also squaring up blocks. I never knew that. Hang in there and don't let peer pressure get you down. Take a break when you need to so you can regroup. You will be an awesome quilter!