PDA

View Full Version : What the Doc said... kinda troubling

auntiemern
June 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I posted something on Blondie's Sunday post about my grand children having what is called hand, foot, and mouth disease. Youngest grand daughter came home from pre k summer school Thursday and started running fever. By Sat morn, she had broken out in a rash. DD had to work so I took her to ER. That is where I got the diagnosis. It is a virus, so not really anything can be done to treat it. Apparently the blisters and sores, for lack of a better word, are painful. Tylenol is about all you can do to help comfort them. Yesterday my 2 yr old grandson had spots on him and terribly bad in his mouth, and around his diaper area. Also my oldest (9 yr old) DGD started running a fever. Great nephew, who lives next door to DD also got it. All of this happened over the week end. Any way DD called their pediatrician this morning, and he proceeds to tell her that they have had an outbreak of this. That they don't really know much about it, or where it comes from. So my question is, if the entire county is having an outbreak of this highly contagious disease, why hasn't the health department, or any other organization, including the school districts, sent something out warning parents of this, and telling them what to look for. Ok I have ranted enough about this. I just feel so bad that all of my grandchildren are in pain and discomfort from this. It will be gone in a few days but still very frustrating.

Slokarma
June 4th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Wow, I've heard of it, but not heard it mentioned in a long while and now I'm off to read about it.

I can only imagine how you feel about your grandkids suffering.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
So sorry to hear this, and it sounds like it is really contagious! Are you having to doctor/nurse them through it?

Years ago, there was a virus that caused some of the same symptoms, they called it Fifth Disease. Wonder if this is the same sort of thing?

buckeyequilter
June 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I've heard of it, but that was several years ago. It seems like a lot of the past diseases are coming back. I sure hope they start feeling better soon. It's no fun to be sick during the summer (or anytime).

kelliedi
June 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM
marilyn this is going around in this area too. It is not just where you are at, not that it is any comfort. we have had a bunch of people out from work so that they can stay at home with their kids for this stuff. It is very painful and nothing to be done about it and is very contagious. kellie

Loonwatcher
June 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM
That's awful. That poor family to have all the young one ill and in pain at the same time. I hope they feel better soon.

bkthomas
June 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Marilyn, So sorry to hear this, prayers and (((((hugs))))) to you and yours!

Sewbee
June 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandkids Marilyn. This is a fairly common virus that can be easily spread from person to person, however children under age 10 are most often affected. Here is a good article about Hand/Foot/Mouth disease with all the pertinent information:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001961/

Fortunately, the disease is self-limiting and symptoms resolve in 5-7 days. I hope everyone gets to feeling much better soon!

auntiemern
June 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I looked it up on the CDC site. Stopped in to check on them while I was at PO mailing Kyles quilt, and a couple of blocks. My little man (2 yrs) is the most miserable. Poor little dude has the rash terribly bad in his diaper area and around and in his nose and mouth. I hate when they are sick, I would much rather take their pain and just let them be happy kids. So hard to see little ones in such discomfort. Hell and I couldn't even get kisses, for fear of contracting it myself.
Sorry to hear about your grandkids Marilyn. This is a fairly common virus that can be easily spread from person to person, however children under age 10 are most often affected. Here is a good article about Hand/Foot/Mouth disease with all the pertinent information:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001961/

Fortunately, the disease is self-limiting and symptoms resolve in 5-7 days. I hope everyone gets to feeling much better soon!

Monique
June 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I hate to see little ones sick. I hope they recover quickly and that you don't get it.

Mimis-quilts
June 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM
That has been going around in Bloomington Indiana too...have had several people at work that had to stay home with their children. Hope your little ones get better soon.

Lisa Albrecht
June 4th, 2012, 10:54 PM
My neice and her two children have it too...and they are in Yakima WA. Here is a message I got from her:

Coxsackie Virus aka Jungle Funk Update:

For those who don't know, we have a highly contagious virus and have been quarantined by the county health department. The sign on the door is NOT a joke. The virus was brought here from Brazil and has spread rapidly. It is a deadly strain of the coxsackie virus. The death toll is now 22 in our county. Both kids and I have the virus and are in the 2nd week....

sounds a little "more" than the old hand and mouth disease that used to go around.

meemeecyn
June 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Thinking about you all. I remember my daughter having the simple coxsackie virus over 30 years ago....gave up the bottle at the time cuz the sores were so painful in her mouth. I will do some research on this new strain. As a retired public health nurse of 30 years, I am very much interested. Had no idea it was this serious. I pray for all of you dealing with this now.
Cynthia

New York Sue
June 5th, 2012, 01:18 AM
First couple of posts, I'm thinking typical springtime pediatric viruses...Coxsakie, Fifths, Hand Foot and Mouth Virus...
However, Lisa in Idaho has me a little worried. And I wish you and your family all the best, Lisa! God Speed.
I work in healthcare. I've been an L&D nurse for a LONG time. Within the last five years in the medical community, I've noticed a whole lot of over-reaction to what used to be normal stuff...

auntiemern
June 5th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Holy Cow. We were not told anything like that. DD's pediatrician said it was ok for youngest DGD to go back to school tomorrow.
My neice and her two children have it too...and they are in Yakima WA. Here is a message I got from her:

Coxsackie Virus aka Jungle Funk Update:

For those who don't know, we have a highly contagious virus and have been quarantined by the county health department. The sign on the door is NOT a joke. The virus was brought here from Brazil and has spread rapidly. It is a deadly strain of the coxsackie virus. The death toll is now 22 in our county. Both kids and I have the virus and are in the 2nd week....

sounds a little "more" than the old hand and mouth disease that used to go around.

Lisa Albrecht
June 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Thank you New York Sue...I appreciate that. I haven't heard anything about this Brazilian strain however with the world becoming a smaller place it doesn't surprise me at all. I did find out that after two weeks, they are doing much better and slowly those blisters are going away. I have also heard that Whooping Cough is making a comeback. Best that we just all stay at home and make a quilt.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Please,please, please virus spreaders, DO NOT INFECT MY GRANDKIDS with this virus and ruin a vacation that has been planned for over a year, takes very expensive airline tickets to get there, and the reservations have been already paid for. Hopefully we will all make it there, no rashes, fevers, upchucking to spoil the fun. Let this Grandma have a non-traumatic vacation with her grandkids, PLEASE! With 12 people involved, what chance do I have for that? Ice cube in you know where?

Blondie
June 5th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Aack! Marilyn, how sad I am to read this. Several years ago my daughter was working at a daycare and came down with something similiar. And she was in her early 20's. High fever, blisters, etc. She was fine in a few days but no matter what the age, it is a miserable time. Lots of tylenol, water, gatorade and all the loving kindness I know you have.

I posted something on Blondie's Sunday post about my grand children having what is called hand, foot, and mouth disease. Youngest grand daughter came home from pre k summer school Thursday and started running fever. By Sat morn, she had broken out in a rash. DD had to work so I took her to ER. That is where I got the diagnosis. It is a virus, so not really anything can be done to treat it. Apparently the blisters and sores, for lack of a better word, are painful. Tylenol is about all you can do to help comfort them. Yesterday my 2 yr old grandson had spots on him and terribly bad in his mouth, and around his diaper area. Also my oldest (9 yr old) DGD started running a fever. Great nephew, who lives next door to DD also got it. All of this happened over the week end. Any way DD called their pediatrician this morning, and he proceeds to tell her that they have had an outbreak of this. That they don't really know much about it, or where it comes from. So my question is, if the entire county is having an outbreak of this highly contagious disease, why hasn't the health department, or any other organization, including the school districts, sent something out warning parents of this, and telling them what to look for. Ok I have ranted enough about this. I just feel so bad that all of my grandchildren are in pain and discomfort from this. It will be gone in a few days but still very frustrating.

sewbizzy
June 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Will keep everyone in my prayers...I have not heard of anything like that here in Pittsburgh...

alliek
June 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM
sewbee, thanks for the website. Marilyn hope the little ones are on the mend. Not much to do as you said but wait it through. I also hate to see the kids down and not well. God Bless