PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Penny!

madampolo
June 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
We adopted a puppy yesterday from the local animal shelter, and we have named her Penny. They said she is a bassett hound mix, and is four months old today. She is very much in the chewing stage, and is a handful! Those two brown spots over her eyes remind me of pennies.

tamsterg7
June 1st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Aww, she is a cutie! And congrats to you for adopting and rescuing her..

bkthomas
June 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Welcome Penny!

buckeyequilter
June 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM
Awwww.....how sweet :)

pcbatiks
June 1st, 2012, 11:15 PM
Too cute....love the puppies. We have two pound puppies!

Bubby
June 1st, 2012, 11:33 PM
She's really a cutie. There's nothing quite like new life in the house! :)

EnumclawGramma
June 1st, 2012, 11:44 PM
She is adorable! I love the spots over her eyes, they'll be very expressive as she gets older! Awwww I love puppies! Good for you for rescuing her! Rescues are the BEST! We have one too.

Slokarma
June 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM
OOOO, who could resist that? Rescued dogs sure appreciate their new family!

DCM
June 2nd, 2012, 12:03 AM
She's so adorable!! What a cutie!!

BellasQuilts
June 2nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
Awww, my pup got a kong toy that I put ice cubes in. Kept her from (mostly) chewing other things!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 2nd, 2012, 12:08 AM
She's darling! Hope the hose survives her puppy days!

sewbizzy
June 2nd, 2012, 01:41 AM
Very adorable puppy...they are so cute and lovable...nice of you to rescue her and I love her name!~
Carol

phoots
June 2nd, 2012, 02:07 AM
So cute!!

Pam in Vegas

Blondie
June 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
You are an angel Joyce! You will adore the bassie in her. She's a cutie pie.

Klasien
June 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
She is super cute!
Like Megan said, we also had a kong for our dogs when they were puppies, works real well.

Enjoy!!!!!

New York Sue
June 2nd, 2012, 07:54 AM
So adorable! I've found over the years,when you can't keep an eye on 'em, the crate is 'my friend' with chewers...
And it's been a long, learning curve!
My best to you and Penny!

CrazyMtnLady
June 2nd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Adorable. I hope you can get her out of her chewing stage quickly. Be sure to give her her own little toy and let her know other things are off limits. I never used a crate for my animals but I was home with them all the time also which makes a big difference.
Good luck.

madampolo
June 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Did we adopt a Doberman instead of a Bassett Hound mix? My husband found pictures of Doberman puppies, and she looks just like one! I am scared of Dobermans, not one I would raise, but what she might do to visitors and small children. I can't take her back. I am in love. My next door neighbor had a Doberman, and he was a very good dog. He was a lot bigger than I wanted a dog to be. Penny is proported to be 4 months old yesterday, but now I don't know if that is correct either. Her brothers were black and white, but were they her brothers? Are Dobermans ever black and white? I know she doesn't have Bassett Hound ears which are a lot longer, and I know that people crop Doberman's ears to make them stand up and crop their tails. I don't know what to do. Like I said, I am in love, but now I am scared for people who come on the property. We live on 20 acres, and she is sure to roam about when she gets older. I don't know what to do. . .

NanaB
June 2nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
She is darling! Congratulations to all involved.

Genny
June 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Oh my...how cute she is! I just love bassetts, they're so adorable.

auntiemern
June 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
What a great addition to your family. Rescue pets are some of the most loyal you will ever find. Bless you for having that in your heart. It takes a special person to do that. Wishing you much joy and happiness with your newest family member.

BellasQuilts
June 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I grew up with dobies and they are very sweet dogs. Kind of like labs in a way. Like all dogs, their temperament is all in how you raise them. She will be a sweetie as it sounds like she will have room to run (they need exercise) and be loved on a lot.

sewmuchjan
June 3rd, 2012, 12:07 AM
Like BellaQuilts aka Megan said it is all in how they are raised, and she is a mix. So do not be worried "Penny" will be fine she is young enough and with a loving family and room to roam. She will be fine. I have 5 dogs, 2 are very very big black labs, 1 is a very old (14 years)yellow lab mix, 1 is a Aussie mix, and last but not least is a long hair Chichi, and they are my "Door Bells" the labs look big and mean but are not. I live on 16 acres and need dogs that guard the yard when I am here by myself, but be great with my 5 grandkinds and 1 g-grandkid, and anyone I think is OK to be here. And they are just what is needed. Penny is just what you all needed, she will be fine. Oh and don't be afraid, dogs and any other critter pick up on fear, so just love her and forget the fear and all will be well.

Love and hugs and plenty of chew toys!!!
Jan G.

madampolo
June 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I am over it. It was just a shock. I love that puppy with all my heart and soul. She is so beautiful and sweet. I just never would have selected her if she was said to be a dobbie. Maybe someone up above guided that hand that put her down as a bassett. If she is really 4 months old, she will not be too big. Our cats are larger than her, and all but one have accepted her, and she them. That was a reason I wanted a puppy instead of an adult. I really wanted to adopt an adult as they are past the puppy stage and are less adoptable, save for the cats. Thanks again.

HandsOffItsMine
June 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joyce, Penny is beautiful. We had a Dobie "Ceasar" (I of course chose the largest pup lol) he was what the call the Great Dane variety. It's all about the training of the dog, how the family treats the dog, the temperatement of the pup. If she's being accepted by the cats, a very good indicator, she's accepting them - all's good.

We were on an acre in the city and he was great protecting the property, Don was working night's and Kat was just a baby. I could walk him and he would be fine, listen on command, yet would also lick someont to death if I told him the person was a "Friend". :)

"Foe" on the other hand would put him on alert, same with any of our dogs, even our little chi and pom. They would know that they would need to go back into the house. It could mean a person, owl, snake, cyote, whatever.

Just love Penny like you intended to love a Bassetthound. :)

Huggers, Ruby