PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Julie Tweed
June 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Ok going on again about cat wee and the house from and earlier post.

This house I quite like but the smell of cat wee is very strong. The woman who was renting it before me is the sister of a co-worker/friend.The sister passed away and I asked about the house but it was offered to someone else and they declined so it was again offered to me. It needs a bit of work and has an issue or two (besides the cat wee) which may be easily fixed.

I thought maybe once the other lady's things had been removed from the house it wouldn't smell quite so bad....but it still does.
I am allergic to cats and just being in the house for a short time really made me uncomfortable...stinging eyes..tight chest etc..

Before I went to see the house I made a big fuss of wanting it as I have dogs and it is away from neighbours and has a good space for them to run in....Now I am reluctant to take it even though I said I would.

Do you think the smell and the allergens can be easily removed? Or would they "infect" my things if I brought them into the house?
I don't want to sign a lease just to find out I can't get rid of the smells...I've not long left my hubby and moved into one house that turns out to be a dud...I don't want to do the same again...everyone is singing the praises of this house and it could be good. I don't want to suffer being sick...and don't want to tell my friend I can't take her dead sister's house because it smells like cat pi$$..:-(.
I hate the thought of offending my friend (especially after just losing her sister) and I do need a place to go and I am afraid to NOT take it in case another dog friendly house doesn't come along for me..
The house I am in is rent free until September because of the work I did so far and it'll do till the weather turns..but there is virtually no heat or hot water and the hot water from the tank is brown so can only use what I boil from the cold water tank...
Caught between a rock and hard place..:-(...

I could really do with some advice....I am so torn..
Thanks for listening..(reading).

K. McEuen
June 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Has the new owner even stepped into the house? Cat urine odor is really hard to not notice. If nothing else she should try to eliminate some of the odor before making you sign a lease. I would explain the situation to her, you have allergies, would like to try the house, maybe a free month of rent so you have access to work on eliminating the odor and seeing if you can tolerate the place before you completely move in. She is going to have to do something about the smell for anyone to want to live there.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
If it does that to you now, and you can't get the allergens out, you are going to be one very sick puppy! I'd look for something else, you have the perfect "out" of any commitment you may have already made. I've listened to my gut in the past, if it doesn't seem right now, it won't get better and you'll be really stuck in an unhealthy place.

Of course, brown hot water and no heat don't sound too appealing either!

Just my humble opinion.

Patience
June 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM
i don't know about where you live but here in the states there are laws that landlords are held accountable for. I agree with the Jean Sewing Machine, it is not sounding like a good deal for you. For your health sake I would look around if the landlord doesn't do something about the cat urine.

Julie Tweed
June 1st, 2012, 08:03 PM
Has the new owner even stepped into the house? Cat urine odor is really hard to not notice. .

The owner hasn't changed..he went into the house with me yesterday and noticed the smell and opened a few windows. I will have to speak to him tomorrow about that and another issue...it's not him I worry about. If I don't take the house my friend will want to know why...and after what's happened with her sister passing I haven't the heart to basically say her sister's house stinks. My friend was telling me how well she herself cleaned it and it IS sitting very tidy...but I can feel the allergens and the urine smell is very strong..:-(...I don't want to cause bad feelings...

SuzyQue
June 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM
Bad feelings will pass....but you must protect your health! I have found in rental properties that often the only way to get rid of the odor is removing the carpet, but.............sometimes it is in the woodwork, too and that would be very expensive to replace! Be very wary!

GrammaBabs
June 1st, 2012, 08:27 PM
Keep looking.... if it's a matter of nothing affordable being available,, you'll have to consider, but do not settle for something just because your afraid to hurt feelings... there is a reason it's being vacated maybe???? If you take it,,, make them have a professional do a deep clean,,, landlords do have to take some responsibility... if you don't,,, they will probably have to do it anyway to rent it!!!

Sandy Navas
June 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
I totally agree with everything above. Try to find something else and protect your own sanity and health. Unless the owner has a professional come in to rid the house of the smell you will never be happy there - regardless of how much space there is for your dogs. Don't worry about your friend having lost her sister - she's going to lose the house if something isn't done and she may not be totally aware of how bad the problem really is. Don't be afraid to share your concerns with her.

Sending you hugs and lots and lots of good vibes to get you through this.

alliek
June 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
Are their carpets? Those hold the smell forever. If not and it is in the floors and walls, I would walk, the danger to your health is too great. What quality of life would you have?. Explain to the people involved that there seems to be "something" in the house you become allergic to and are having second thoughts. Then bow out gracefully. Your life is more important than hurt feelings love. You have my prayers to find the home you need. God's Blessings

HandsOffItsMine
June 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
Not take it in it's current condition, your health is more important than her hurt feeling about cat peepee.

The carpet and padding would have to be removed, the underlayment wood or cement would have to be bleach washed then primer sealed before it can be recovered with carpet or hardwood. My Mom was in real estate for 25 years and cat pee is the hardest odor to get rid of in a house, even harder than death, yes she had several listings with that as well.

Most landlords will not deal with it properly in good economic times, doubt that yours will do so in these bad times. I would say "run" from this rental, especially after your current situation. You need to move "Up" sweetie, not down.

Praying that a better rental will come your way that allows doggies.

Huggers, Ruby

Bubby
June 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM
Julie....I am a landlord and know from experience how bad cat urine can be. When someone moves out of one of our townhomes and cat urine is a problem we rip out the carpet and pad and then have to bleach the sub-floors and then seal them. It's an expensive and extremely labor intensive process. I realize you have hardwood floors, but it sounds like the urine has made it's way into the wood or beneath the flooring.

I would advise you not to sign a lease if the landlord is not willing to either replace the flooring or have it professionally cleaned to your satisfaction. Then and only then should you consider signing a lease. If you are not satisfied you should definitely look for something else to rent.
This is a matter you should take up with the landlord right away. Barb

bkthomas
June 1st, 2012, 11:48 PM
Don't do it!!!! Let me tell you a story, My Mom and step-dad had a little beer store on a lake in Texas and this lake was on a Rancher's land - he had free ranging cattle all the way round and people had cabins and the ranch had 3 different gates that people had to pay a toll to get through to use the lake. Eventually my Mom got the job of gatekeeper at the one next to their store. The previous keeper had cats that used the carpet in the hall in front of the bathroom and the Ranch would not replace it. So Mom did it herself and people did not even want to use it on the beach of the briney lake where they would launch their boats. So I agree with what the others are telling you. Best of Luck, Hope things work out for you!

DCM
June 2nd, 2012, 12:11 AM
I would just tell you friend that every time you are in the house your allergies are too much to handle and you can't afford to be sick all the time. If your dogs can smell where the cats went potty they may start doing the same thing, too, and you may have more problems on your hands (or they may try to tear up the carpet/flooring where they can smell the cat urine). It's not worth making yourself sick. Good luck!

Julie Tweed
June 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
If your dogs can smell where the cats went potty they may start doing the same thing, too,

Funny thing is I took one of my dogs to the house and he wouldn't even go into the house..I made him come in as I didn't want him wandering outside on his own...but he sat in a corner by the door and would not explore with me even though I tried to jolly him into seeing round the place.

There are no carpets or wood floors. It has linoleum with concrete underneath. I am going to phone the landlord today (my friend doesn't own the house but she had rented it before her sister and loves it...).

I will have another look to see if leaving the windows open has made a difference...if not I will just have to bite the bullet and let it pass..:-(

Thanks guys..
Julie

Monique
June 4th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Julie, my two cents worth: Your health is the most important.