PDA

View Full Version : Another Thursday

Blondie
May 31st, 2012, 07:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/catdogSM.jpg

It's Thursday. I am still getting my bearings straight after the past weekend. With hubs being home for a short while, it totally disorients me.

I was given a call yesterday about sitting with an elderly lady part time. Not that I have ever done that. But these folks are friends and their Mother is 86 and needs someone really 24/7. She is sound of mind, and really doesn't want assisted living or nursing home. She has nothing of financial value so the state I think pays like 7 bucks an hour to companion sitters. I am seriously considering it a few days a week - the only thing that has me concerned is my vehicle. My own car has been not working for almost two years. I need a transmission, that is like needing a million bucks. So, I've been using my Daddy's old cranky pick me up truck which gets the lousiest mileage of any vehicle I've ever driven. Bessie lives far enough up the road that i am wondering if it would COST me to drive it a few days a week. I reckon I am spouting off here because I really do need some guidance from the Lord. I would sit with Bess for free. This family is very special to me and vice versa.

I finished the onesie quilt and will be delivering it on Saturday. It was much more difficult than a regular t shirt quilt. Even with the interfacing, it was stretchy, nasty stuff to work with. I wound up making smallish crazy quilting blocks and cutting out some of the words on the onesies and then appliquing them onto some flannel. The gal picked out the flannels used. She wanted some folksy big stitches included - and that was the easiest part! i am glad that this one is going out the door. She is thrilled with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/2012/bidniz/onesiefull.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/2012/bidniz/onesiefolded.jpg

For those thinking of a onesie project, think twice. I felt as if I had little control. I learned a lot but the main thing I learned was to say no to another one of these.

Have a happy day, y'all! Smile! Smile! Smile!

carolv
May 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Great job on the quilt!

meemeecyn
May 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Good morning everyone! Love the quilt, Blondie. So unique and adorable. I bet it was a bear to do, though. You have the patience of Job! You'll know what to do about sitting (or not) with the 'mature' lady! You are such a giving person; hope it doesn't put you in the financial hole! On the other hand, maybe it'll give you reason to get a new vehicle??? No, not a wheelbarrow, my Friend! hehehe

Am hoping to sew a nightie today for my oldest GD's dance recital coming up soon. Wish me luck....it's my first time!

Have a wonderful day all you special Quilters.
Cynthia

cyndiofthevortex
May 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
Blondie, that quilt is just too cute. You know that, don't you? Be ready to say no because every mom who sees it will want one. And this isn't the new business venture you want, is it?

I was a companion for a while and it was the best job I've ever had. I too would have done it for free. What great stories I heard!

At Marden's yesterday I was so proud of myself I had to give myself a high five. I stuck to my diet and only bought what I needed, enough of a batik to bind the wedding quilt. Today I go to Joann's for a Grand Opening right down the street from me and tomorrow Martha and I are heading up to the annual Keepsake Quilting Tent Sale. Am I crazy? I guess I'm trying to develop some self-control. But really, who could pass up such opportunities? Not me apparently!

CrazyMtnLady
May 31st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Good morning: The quilt looks beautiful, but I will take you advice and not try that at home!

Raining again this morning. The plants and trees are sure happy and soaking it up. I think this is the last day of it for a while, but we sure could us a solid week of rain. At least the electricity stayed on during this rain storm. We were without electricity for only about an hour yesterday morning. The only thing this morning was that water must have gotten in one of our security cameras because the monitor started beeping and had to be unplugged. DH was not happy about being woke up... awwwww poor guy, but he was back sleeping almost as soon as his head hit the pillow. LOL

Today is "World No Tobacco Day" and tomorrow is "Dare Day". I found a website that gives all kinds of "holidays". I am looking forward to August 30th which is "National Marshmallow Toasting Day" Yippee. The site is
http://www.holidayinsights.com/everyday.htm for anyone wanting to find a reason to celebrate! I did find out on one of my news sites pages that yesterday was "Mint Julep Day"....dang I missed that one.

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers.

buckeyequilter
May 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Good morning....

That quilt is so cute Blondie :) I tell people that my quilts are one of a kind and don't expect me to duplicate one. My brother wants a camo quilt and I told him it won't have all the embroidery on it, like the one I made for DH, but I might put a couple of deer and a few leaves on it for him.

We are having beautiful spring weather now....highs near 70 for most of the week. Nice week to clean house....now I need to find the energy to do that - after working all day I just want to go home and relax.

Donna....when is Margaritta Day?

I hope everyone has a wonderful day....hugs and prayers to all.

CrazyMtnLady
May 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
Shirley I will have to look that one up, but I did just find on another site that today is also.

HUG YOUR CAT DAY!

http://www.brownielocks.com/month2.html

Okay Shirley I found this for you: www.nationalmargaritaday.com/

HandsOffItsMine
May 31st, 2012, 10:38 AM
Blondie, your quilt came out adorable!!! You know that you will get more orders for sure. Now just go to Walmart and get some 906F Pellon Interfacing, ignore that it says it for sheer and light weight fabric. I've been researching up on t-shirt and jersey stretch and alot of folks recommend 906F that only make TShirt or Onesie quilts. They say it won't make the quilt stiff and it will still drape.

I like how it's all Artsy Tartsy...too, too cute! Also love the quilting, word embroidery. JUST LOVELY!!

Cyndi, shop for some fabric for me! I'm with you in spirit!

Donna, I'm feeling like a Virgin Margarita now. With Tequila would be better but we would be calling 911 if I did, so we'll skip that. :/

Watching Oliver this morning, Kat's needs to go for her follow up this morning. Hopefully he won't want to watch Thomas, after enduring him with Zander. The narratives are getting on my nerves. I'm putting on the Disney channel or Sesame Street!

Hopefully I can borrow the car this afternoon, need to get to the PO to send Rhonda Brandon's blocks and some other packages that need to go to friends.

I started 2" hexagon English paper piecing with some inexpensive charm packs from Joann's that I fussy cut. I'm enjoying it, trying to make sure you can't see my stitches from the front. Using hand quilting thread, think I need to switch to my thinner Connecting Egyp thread so that it buries better. Any thoughts on that?

Enjoy the day folks! Huggers, Ruby

Sandy Navas
May 31st, 2012, 10:49 AM
I need to know when "National Day to Give Old People New Found Energy" is . . . that's what I need. I told Al yesterday that I had decided to make up two different TO DO (actually Honey Do) lists and abide by them. HA!!! Let's see now - he's at the grocery store with a list and comes home empty handed . . . so off I go. DGD #1 has to be at work at 3 and DD is in the middle of something critical . . . I am such a sucker to help people out . . . Maybe what I should have said to Al was: "Teach me to say NO." But, I won't. Gives me too much joy to say "YES".

Blondie - I am taking your advice on the onesie quilts - however you have to know that yours is absolutely precious. And, the first thing that crossed my mind when you were telling about the companion sitter was to bring her down to your Mother's place for a visit and then take your Mother to her house for a visit - that would cut the travel time/distance/cost down dramatically. You need to get in touch with Ruby's friends - they gave her a new car. I don't have one or it would be in your driveway!!

We also had some rain last night - but not near enough. Love how it has cooled off though. However, it does delay spraying weeds, etc. Love those steady rains with the windows open and occasional thunder in the distance.

So, Miss Procrastinator is off for the day. Who knows what it will bring. I guess I must love surprises.

Sending special prayers - sending special hugs - but no words of wisdom.

Winniesfriend
May 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
I think your quilt is adorable, and I wont put onesies quilts on my to do list

Leonie

Granny Judy
May 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM
Love that quilt...but will not try t-shirts for any amount of money or kuddos. Just not me- and I have learned to say NO. took me 50 some years, but life got alot easier and more fun since then.

dreary, rainy day here. Getting that much needed liquid from the sky. It's gonna green up fast and need a manacure once the sun comes out. --that includes me, too. I always feel better AFTER the storm. Feel like crap before, too. OH, Hi there, Arthur!! (my name for arthritis) I've been putting up with this "dead beat" for a few years now.. That is what the Hot tub comes in handy for-relieving the presence of all those joint pains. BYE, ARTHUR!!

sending out hugs to all, prayers are said and I've got to unwrap these two dogs from around my feet. They are afraid of the storm!!

buckeyequilter
May 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Shirley I will have to look that one up, but I did just find on another site that today is also.

HUG YOUR CAT DAY!

http://www.brownielocks.com/month2.html

Okay Shirley I found this for you: www.nationalmargaritaday.com/

Well I missed it....maybe tomorrow will be margaritta day for me :)

Shirley
May 31st, 2012, 12:30 PM
Looks great Blondie ! You always do such nice work on your projects.

K. McEuen
May 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Your quilt turned out really cute! (it's a good thing, would be a terrible shame if it was ugly after all that trouble!)

You said your car needs a transmission. You might consider looking for a good used car. It probably wouldn't be much more than a transmission costs. They are terrible to replace and the labor for the job is just crazy.

Blondie
May 31st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Folksies
Just getting in from work; it is sure hot as the 4th of July right now. Unbearable outside for me for sure.

Thanks for the sweet comments on the onesie. When she first contacted me, I thought it would be baby CLOTHES, like when my kids were toddlers. Once she pulled out that bag of onsies I knew I was in for it. Oy. And Ruby, I did use that weight of Pellon. It works wonderfully for regular t shirt quilts. Not for onesies. I think because the onesies are so SMALL and not that much of them are truly usable; once you cut the ribbing and snaps off, especially. Anyhoo, like I said, glad it is going out the door.

And Karen, you're right. I had visions of her hating it once it was completed. I can never trust my hubby's opinion because he thinks everything I make is wonderful. I am a hard critic on myself because as others have mentioned - it is a One of A Kind, never to be duplicated, lol.
I am considering options of a used car, as well Karen. Trans work is no cake walk. I just miss my car.

Sandy, I would like to have Bessie visit with Mom but that would wear thin in about an hour. Bessie isn't liking anyplace outside of her home and my Mom is stretching my frazzled nerves and rising blood pressure by doing foolish things when I am not around. Like climb a ladder and get on top of the roof. No joke. And guess who was holding the ladder? My savant idiot SIL. I went ballistic and may never have a speaking relationship with her again. I tell you, the Melvin came out of me (that's my daddy). I went on a rant with the BS flying. Sorry for the sensitive ears but that is my favorite cuss word. I reserve it for when I am pushed to the max, like hearing of Mom on the roof. I could here my dear old Daddy . . ."Go on, gal. Say it like it smells." Oh yes, I let it all fly. My husband, who is a sage and heard everything I said, tried to calm me down. I thought my head was coming off my shoulders. He said, "Baby, that was a big load. Now flush that commode. Let it go" I am trying. I told him if I took care of Bessie I wouldn't have to worry about her doing anything more than watching court tv all day and fussing at the defendants. LOL.

Okay, folksies, that was my total rant of the day, week, month. Being such a Pollyanna I keep trying to figure out something good about my Mother doing foolish things. I can't think of anything less than terrible sarcastic to say good about this. My parting words to Mom about this issue was that we would see what her dr's had to say about it next week. Hope that will fix her little red wagon.

Now to go find the listerine to wash my mouth out with.

quiltingtrish
May 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone~~
Not a big cusser here, but sometimes, the words somehow fly right out of my mouth!

School's-OUT-FOR-Summer!! Now, my to-do list needs made. All my ideas are written down here and there, now need to gather them up and get started on my projects. First though, I need a nap. :)

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
May 31st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Blondie, is your Mother related to My Mother????? Mom was 86 when I called her (mind you I was halfway around the world) and when she answered the phone she sounded out of breath. After quizzing her I found that she'd had one of my cousins' kids pick her apples. After they left she saw two still in the tree near the top . . . so she climbed the tree to pick them. You sure don't want to let anything go to waste. Mothers!!!!! She used to go to the barn, climb to the hayloft and throw bales of hay out for the cows in her leased pasture - she was afraid they were going hungry!!

bkthomas
May 31st, 2012, 06:45 PM
That quilt is adorable, Blondie...and how kind of you to help your Mom with her wagon....

EnumclawGramma
May 31st, 2012, 08:17 PM
That quilt is adorable, Blondie...and how kind of you to help your Mom with her wagon....

LOL!!! My sentiments EXACTLY!!

Love your quilt Blondie....too too cute! Will you make me one, purty pleese??

Blondie
May 31st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Sandy, I think it is a generational thing. My granny always said, once a grown up, twice a child
Kathy, I see we are so like minded. Perhaps I should paint her wagon a different color!
Libby, I love you. NO.

You know folksies, I don't complain much because Mom is so very precious to me. She just doesn't get it. She is so proud of her new found independance, etc. I am proud of her for being such an overcomer. I truly am. She just doesn't get it that the very same things that drove her nutsy with her own Dad and my Dad's mother, whom she cared for, are the very same things that she is doing to me. And when I call her on it, she says, It's your turn now. Sigh. When I grow up and begin to act like this, I expect Sandy to slap the snot out of me and say SNAP OUT OF IT.

auntiemern
May 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Love, love, love the quilt. As far as the other thing let the Lord guide you in your decision. I know it is already evening, but wanting everyone to have a blessed rest of the evening.

buckeyequilter
May 31st, 2012, 09:05 PM
dreary, rainy day here. Getting that much needed liquid from the sky. It's gonna green up fast and need a manacure once the sun comes out. --that includes me, too. I always feel better AFTER the storm. Feel like crap before, too. OH, Hi there, Arthur!! (my name for arthritis) I've been putting up with this "dead beat" for a few years now.. That is what the Hot tub comes in handy for-relieving the presence of all those joint pains. BYE, ARTHUR!!

We're supposed to get some rain/storm tonight....I wish it would get here. I'm not a fan of Arthur either but he sure likes to visit me.

Debbie MM
May 31st, 2012, 09:13 PM
it is cold in cleveland and arthur is talking to me also :)