PDA

View Full Version : Patterns for beginners

Carmen
February 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me some easy patterns for someone who is new to quilting.

Misty
February 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hey Carmen! I've just started myself. These are the things that seem the least daunting to me....

#1, get yourself some charm packs that you love, lay them out and sew them together. They're already cut to squares and since it's one sqaure of each fabric in a designers line the matching is already done for you! Once it's stitched together all the coordinating designs look fabulous! Easy as pie. You can also make half square triangles with them for another super easy but different look. (I just did this yesterday!)

#2, try a 9 patch or hour glass. Just as easy but with a little extra cutting involved and both can be done with Layer Cakes

Gotta love those pre-cuts! Hope this helped.

stitchywoman
February 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I agree Misty! The charm packs make for a very easy starter project and there is no pattern required! If there's something specific you're looking for let us know. I know I saw some great free patterns on the amy butler site the other day and I know the other fabric designers have some cute things too. There's a list of fabric designer's websites linked to the MSQC blog page http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/ if you scroll down the page it's on the right under blog roll.

I can spend forever just looking at sites and seeing the cute ideas! There's ton's for beginning quilters out there :)

Carmen
February 24th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the advice girls. I think I'll have to order some charm packs and try out what you said. It seems like a good place to start.

I did what you said stitchywoman and visited some of the designer fabric sites. Although I absolutely love the fabrics, I felt like a kid in a candy store; I wanted everything! If only I had unlimited funds!

stitchywoman
February 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hehe!! I know they are fantastic aren't they!! :lol: It gets me some great ideas and plans for that someday project :D

sewhot
March 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Carmen, I am just wondering if you ever started on anything!??! Did you decide on a fabric line and go? Or are you still undecided!! I am dying to see what you are working on! :)

katiepaxton
May 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
One of your video's mentioned a book Jelly Roll Quilts, but I can't find it here on your site. Is there some way to get it :D

Misty
May 4th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Great question!! Let me find out for you!

shell.scraps
May 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I would also recommend checking out the tutorials (link at top of page on right hand corner) to see some super simple blocks that go together easy and look great!!