• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stitchywoman
    The Guild President
    • Feb 2009

Lose the Fat Quarter

So,I’m resurrecting “Lose the Fat Quarter!” The Missouri Star Quilt Company girls were doing this in the shop once a week recently to help all us girls who like to sit and sew... get our tushies moving!! We got to work hard to lose weight and then one lucky girl got to take home a pile of fat quarters!!

Well, when mom broke her leg there were a few things that kinda stopped in their tracks and that was one of them it just became to much.
    I don't know about you, but, I hate to lose momentum and I love having a group to talk to and keep me motivated while I’m trying to lose weight. That means.... (drum roll please) I’m starting an online group!! Woohoo! It’s gonna be fun! There won’t be a pile of fat quarters to take home but maybe we can work on dropping a few more of our own “fat quarters” until the shop is ready to restart the class & probably after that.
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.
  • jenny
    9 Patch Princess
    • Feb 2009

Re: Lose the Fat Quarter

I am so in. I love the idea and I have a few fat quarters to lose. I am trying to just drink shakes We will see

Comment

• stitchywoman
      The Guild President
      • Feb 2009

I know today is going to be rough I think :roll: I didn't exercise yet and I'm trying not to eat the Chocolate cake on the counter... but I seriously need to get rid of a few jelly rolls around my middle so, I'll keep trying!

Comment

• Carmen
        UN-Biased
        • Feb 2009

Shoot! I wish I had of known about this challenge BEFORE I bought that 3 lbs bag of peanuts M & M's that was on sale at Costco today (not to mention all the free samples I indulged in)! :cry: In my mind I try to justify that it's okay to eat them because the nuts are healthy. Good old cognitive dissonance at its best I guess!
        "A smile is the most inexpensive way to improve your looks."

Comment

• sewhot
          The Guild President
          • Feb 2009

Oohhh!! I am in too! I could use some motivation to lose the weight and would love the encouragement!! I just enjoy being here and talking to you all! Let's lose some weight. Oh, and Carmen....eat those M&M's and start on Monday!! I wouldn't blame you one bit! Have a great weekend Girls.

Comment

• stitchywoman
            The Guild President
            • Feb 2009

OK so I went running today and did way better than last week. I was just proud that I could run up the stairs after my girls and not huff & puff when I got to the top

Anyone else exercising or planning it? Who's movin out there 8-)

Comment

• Misty
              Quilting Royalty
              • Feb 2009

I did yoga yesterday. That was the first time I exercised in like a year. I'll get there some day. :?

Comment

• stitchywoman
                The Guild President
                • Feb 2009

hehe Misty your awesome!!! It snowed today and I was supposed to run, that's not happenin now Maybe I'll go throw in a video... I've got a little to much fat quarter to sit around and do nothing!

Comment

• stitchywoman
                  The Guild President
                  • Feb 2009

Hey does anyone have anything they're trying to lose weight for???

I'm working to get in a particular swimsuit I bought last year before a pregnancy and my new baby stage... All I can say is I better keep working!

Comment

• stitchywoman
                    The Guild President
                    • Feb 2009

A Day Late....Still FAt (quarter) Friday-ish

Yeah!! It's Friday!

Last day to exercise this week!

Uh, yeah, sorry You can pretend I didn't say that.

So, Anyway, today is BREATHING!

I'm sure you all know it's important to breathe while you exercise.

No breathing=unconsciousness.

Smile if you want not breathing enough also equals stressed out bodies, & muscles without fuel to work. So, today's thought you can even practice while you quilt. Breath!

Most places say that how long you make your breaths or other special techniques aren't important, you just need to have a pattern going. In through the nose and out through the mouth is better since it allows more oxygen in and carbon dioxide out. It also allows your facial muscles to relax. When you breathe out through your mouth, it falls open slightly and your face relaxes. When you breathe out through your nose the muscles tighten as you try to push enough air out similar to when you're holding your breath.

(Haha! You know you all just tried that to see what it feels like )

You need to have a steady in out pattern going, I try to use a 4 count, but basically what ever your body needs will work perfectly for you.

Here's a quote about the importance of breathing, "It is easy and natural to get out of breath when you [exercise]. Oxygen is the fuel for your body to perform exercise. When you exercise, your muscles need oxygen and your body sends more oxygenated blood to the muscles, making the lungs work harder to suck in more oxygen from the air. Hence, you can quickly get out of breath as your lungs are working harder while your muscles demand more oxygen. "

What it comes down to is if your not breathing enough during exercise it's going to feel harder than than it needs to because your muscles are working so hard to get what they need.

So take it easy ladies enjoy the weekend and ... breathe!

Comment

• stitchywoman
                      The Guild President
                      • Feb 2009

Ok... incase you couldn't tell we've been banished to the forums that's ok though cause we can talk more freely here anyway right :twisted: So this week has been rough.

Point blank it's a rough one.

yesterday I think I drank 3 sodas, ate 2 ho-hos, a couple kiss cookies, and who knows what else! We got home from vacation on wednesday evening to so Thurs I did not want to run and this morning I only got one lap done. due to the fact that mid route I found some good scavenging stuff. (someone had moved and left a bunch of stuff behind to be picked up or thrown out... fun to find but I stopped the run to get Alex, my husband, and rescue a few things )

So I'm wondering what specifically we can do this week to be better. I'm going to work on my food since that seems to be my biggest hang up. I'm going to try to make through 1 whole day without eating anything bad. I ust wondered if I've already shot today or not though? Hmm...

Comment

• sewhot
                        The Guild President
                        • Feb 2009

AHahahahahh!!! You are so funny!! You STOPPED running to scavenge out of someones trash!??!?! You are so your mothers-daughter!!! I think I might have peed my pants a little laughing. (does that count as exercise?)

Anyway, yeah FOOD is a huge deal! I need to work on that too! Thanks for the reminder. I will try to be better too!

Not eating chocolate makes me mad.....which is better? Eat chocolate and be happy, or be skinny and MEAN???? :evil:

....just wondering!

Comment

• stitchywoman
                          The Guild President
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by sewhot
                          Eat chocolate and be happy, or be skinny and MEAN????
                          Hehe We don't really wonder where the term skinny... *ahem* witch came from do we :mrgreen: And Sarah yesterday I think I would count your very vigorous laughter as exercise I think maybe I'll try that this morning to!

Comment

Working...
                          X