Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: fast pinwheels

Julie in NM is offline Junior Member
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default fast pinwheels

Love the way you do this but need help.

Video uses charm packs but can some help with the math? What size squares do you start with if you need finished 2" blocks, 4" blocks, 6" blocks?

There just has to be an easy math formula for this right? And I'm so bad at math.

Love you videos. Have learned so much! or and sent an email RE this ? a few minutes ago and then discovered your forum...dah moment

Julie in NM

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fast pinwheels

Nuts...I was hoping for the "math" answer by now but maybe the math professor is working on it for us.

hillbilly's Avatar hillbilly is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you just hate that you have to use math for quilting??

So you are wanting finished pinwheels in 2,4,and 6 inches. Those 2" pinwheels would be teeny tiny! Give me some time, let me watch the video again, and I'll see if I can come up with it. It might take the day though, as I have to prepare my ds for a float trip!
    Come an' have yourself a little visit at this here website. We uns love visitors so fancy and the like as yourself!!
    http://www.hillbillyhandiworks.com
    Ps...jest call me ~hillbilly~

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: fast pinwheels

ERROR ERROR...don't really want 2" pin wheels but would love the formula to get the size I need for blocks. Have the math worksheet for no waste flying geese and would love the formula for fast easy pinwheels.
    Julie in NM

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Found the fomula on a different forum:
    I saw this on one of my other groups and I Love it. You layer 2 squares facing. Sew 1/4 inch around all four sides then cut each way from corner to corner cutting into 4 pieces. When you press them open - all seams to the darker side, you just lay them out ready to sew together. All pieces are the same size. The same lady posted a chart of sizes for different squares. Remember that these measurements are for the 4 square you get - NOT the finished pinwheel.
    2" squares = 1" HST
    2 1/2" = 1 1/2
    3 1/2 " = 2"
    4" - 2 1/2
    5" = 3 1/2
    6" = 4
    7" = 4 1/2
    8" = 5"
    8 1/2 = 5 1/2
    9" - 6
    10" - 7
    I did find it easier to trim all my corners after I pressed when I was making small size for a 3" finished pinwheel.

shell.scraps's Avatar shell.scraps is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
    Found the fomula on a different forum:
    I saw this on one of my other groups and I Love it. You layer 2 squares facing. Sew 1/4 inch around all four sides then cut each way from corner to corner cutting into 4 pieces. When you press them open - all seams to the darker side, you just lay them out ready to sew together. All pieces are the same size. The same lady posted a chart of sizes for different squares. Remember that these measurements are for the 4 square you get - NOT the finished pinwheel.
    2" squares = 1" HST
    2 1/2" = 1 1/2
    3 1/2 " = 2"
    4" - 2 1/2
    5" = 3 1/2
    6" = 4
    7" = 4 1/2
    8" = 5"
    8 1/2 = 5 1/2
    9" - 6
    10" - 7
    I did find it easier to trim all my corners after I pressed when I was making small size for a 3" finished pinwheel.
    Those numbers don't seem right to me...your seam loss grows in the numbers they give you.....that doesn't make much sense??
    Michele