Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Philosophic Thinkers

One of my required classes for my degree is "Introduction for Foreign Languages II." Seems like a pretty straightforward title right? The first class was "...I" and it was about plagerism, citing sources, thesis writing, etc.

So my assumption was that it was more of the same. Man, was I ever wrong!!!

Ya know what this II level is about? Philosophy!! What the heck?? Very misleading course title and why is a philosophy class mandatory for an English degree? I am struggling so much with this class as I am an analytical thinker and don't do well with theories. I go to all the classes, read all the material and still don't do well on the graded quizzes. I pass them, but with a low grade. Ugh!

The only thing I can think of doing is writing down each philosopher that we study, his main thoughts and theories and anything significant during his time and then just study this over and over again.

Any input from anyone? I could use some guidance as how to understand this stuff.
    “"To know what people really think, pay attention to what they do, rather than what they say."

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Philosophic Thinkers

Maybe if you become an English teacher you will be able to spot quickly those students and their ability to plagerise? I would not do well in a class like that either. I prefer either the stuff is "black" or "white" so to speak, not much gray matter in the course. I have enough gray matter on my head and in my head!

3. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, when I read your post my mind traveled back in time to my philosophy class I struggled in when I was in college. I was pursuing a Finance degree because I am also an analytical thinker and dreaded that class. I can still picture the professor and can remember that feeling of how I just needed to pass that darn required class. I think what you are doing is a great idea. Just stick to memorizing the philosopher and their main ideas. Probably breaking down the theory is a good idea and putting it on index cards would help. I wish you the best and it will probably get a bit easier as the class goes along.

5. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Back in dark ages when I was taking classes... I used a lot of 3 x 5 cards... words on front - answers on back.. and when reading at night I would used a cassette (see aging myself here) to record what I thought might be a good note to remember later, and eventually it would go on a 3 x 5 card. My daughter did the same thing with her college... all the medical terms and such, we kept the 3 x 5 card company in business.

7. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Philosophy is a way to teach your brain to think in different ways.

Just because I am not one of the sheep, it does not mean I must be a wolf.

In this day and age we have WAY too many people, WAY too sensitive about WAY too many things and taking something that only deserves a "ho hum" response as a slight against themselves personally.

Thinking is difficult. That's why most people judge.

....................................Jung.......... ......................

9. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

ShirleyKnot is right. I think Philosophy is just one of what we used to call "distribution requirements." The idea is that a liberal arts education means you study at least one semester of everything, including math even if you are a music major (don't ask! ).
    Don't look at it as someone trying to change the way you think; see it as learning other people's perspective, and use it as a means of articulating your own worldview more cogently.

Taking notes in a way that you will be able to review later is a wonderful idea; if you can write your own outline of each person/era/culture you're studying, you may be able to remember it later.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

11. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of the World Religions class I took. I wanted to take it and did the online version because of where I live. It turned into a creative writing class. I kid you not I felt like I wrote a book after it. I had two other classes and this one just consumed my life.

During this time some pamphlet givers stopped by and we got into a verbal argument and I told him to stay away. The class really gave an interesting perspective on things.

Enjoy the class

Lorie

13. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken several philosophy courses ... and my instructors made it easy for my analytical brain to comprehend. It was not about learning about the philosophers. It was learning about different views on the same subject - and how those views can coexist - without one being correct and the other absolutely wrong.

It taught me that all viewpoints are debatable and yet valuable because they are based on the holder's experience. Learning about the philosophers is just the first step. Once you get into moral philosophy (ethics) the fun and confusion grows even larger.

Strictly my opinion - but - studying philosophy just helps a person understand how other people think. For an English teacher it may open the teacher's mind to the content of an essay or thesis rather than just punctuation and grammar.

15. Thanks mommadeb, grammaterry, shirleyknot, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I too am very analytical and when I start to over think the different scenarios and outcomes of things well, anxiety and stress starts to set in. I am currently a student too and my Quantum Mathematics instructor had a way to put my mind at ease. She said to stop thinking. And if I was doing my homework, and reading my book I already knew the material. The biggest key is to find a way to relax your mind. For me if I can not concentrate on my homework, I find something else to do to relax my mind. Then I will come back to it when I am more focused. I also found before I took a test or quiz, I would have something else not related to that class to do to keep me relaxed. Whether it was to read Vogue, Vanity Fair, Cook's Illustrated or Block Magazine it is the lighthearted things that are pleasurable enough to put my mind at ease. And, yes I even come here to the forum when I want to throw my computer against the wall because of the program that my college uses is so anial (no love for the program) that everything has to be precise. I love to read what others are doing and what creations are being made. Again it is another thing that I find mentally relaxing so I can focus and concentrate. I also found that if I am in a very quiet room I can concentrate better. I cannot say that, that may work for you but you have to find your intersanctum. Soon as you find a way to destress over the situation, this class will start making sense.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You bring back memories, my philosophy course when pursuing my education/teaching degree was titled Philosophy of the Family. The instructor seemed to set her goal for the course at "convince Beth that the only reason she is returning to college is to prepare herself for divorce." After receiving an incomplete on my first paper because she said it was all a bunch of fairy-tales I decided I needed to spit out what she wanted to hear in order to keep my grades up. How I would love to run into her now, 25 years later and tell her how my life went-no divorce, raised 2 successful/independent children, still living in a 3 bedroom house with a picket fence, all the things she rejected my first paper for writing about my future goals.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

19. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post