Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HdWench's Avatar HdWench is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??

I'm sure there are folks who have done this right?

Before I took sewing back up, I hoarded patterns.. when I had nearly 400 I began to hoard fabric -- ALL kinds but not much good for quilting.

Silk Essence, Cloud 9, Black Buttersuede... Casa Satins... I needed to feel fabric but had not picked up a sewing machine in 20+ years... Now I've been back in the saddle for several years, and realize I have 1600 YARDS of each of many colors of this fabric and NO desire to sew with it anymore!

So, is Ebay a good place to sell this? Most is still wrapped in the plastic whole on BOLTS!! god I am a hoarder help me find a way to get RID of this!

Thanks for any help

:-Debbie
    Debbie and my cat "Kids" Bonnie (18), KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)
    Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Blondie's Avatar Blondie is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??

Oh Debbie - you and my Mom! Good grief; she has bolts of fabric that goes back I dunno - decades. Most of it is not quilt-able.

Ebay and don't forget about Etsy. There is a whole generation that is building their cottage industry around Etsy, I do believe.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Come by and visit my blog:
    http://vintageprims.blogspot.com/

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/

Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

buckeyequilter's Avatar buckeyequilter is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HdWench View Post
    I have 1600 YARDS of each of many colors
    I think Debbie just won the fabric stash contest!
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter

I got a sewing machine for my husband! Good trade, huh?
    Groups:
    2014 UFO Challenge

4. Thanks Cat n bull thanked for this post
    Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyequilter View Post
    I think Debbie just won the fabric stash contest!
    I bow to the queen of stash!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Noooo I don't wanna have this much stash again! We can't park cars in our 2 1/2 car garage!!! omg Ok ebay here I come!

Thanks!

:-Debbie and I admit I'm a fabric hoarder
    Debbie and my cat "Kids" Bonnie (18), KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

HandsOffItsMine's Avatar HandsOffItsMine is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are fabric destash groups on FB - ask to join them - no fees to sell like ebay - you can invoice through PayPal - once you're paid, you ship...EasyPeasy

Cloud9...no cotton?
    Visit my new fabric shopping carts FatQuartersALaCarte.com and YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for your custom First Time Order Coupon by mentioning "The Forum". Huggers, Ruby

Madeforyouinma11's Avatar Madeforyouinma11 is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post some pics here so we can see? Also can you describe some of the fabrics (how they feel, what they are made of)?
    Isn't Cloud 9 quilting fabric? Just saying, maybe you could sell some of it here and it wouldn't cost you anything.
    Also, how much black buttersuede do you have? That is a micro suede fabric right? I'm looking to either reupholster my living room set or make covers and this would be perfect. Also, how much are you going to be asking?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

wow I didn't know there was a FB Group for FREE dang it.. Well I got busy last night and this morning and already posted the following on ebay (a fraction of what I've got) and there aren't any Cottons, that is what I need more of to quilt hehehe

The Black Buttersuede is NOT on ebay yet -- I've got 600 yards left - Yes this is a microfiber bought from Hancocks at $5/yard - initially I bought 1000 yards so it's taken me 4 years to sew up 400!!! I need to keep about 200 for the next couple years then I'm OUT of biz!! god willing -- I don't want more than I paid for any of this.

I'm dc_lost on eBay if you want to take a look - here is what I've posted so far and I'll add photos here. Have taken none of the Black Buttersuede but you can look at Hancocks online and see it I bet.

Some things I could reach -- then I have to unpack to get to the rest!

Casa Satin - 10 yards Hunter Green (it's probably 12 yards but I don't care) 60"

Casa Satin - 10 yards Spice (again more like 12-15 yard on bolt, but selling it as a 10 yard bolt) 60"

Cloud 9 silky Jacquard 44-45" All poly makes great blouses and skirts the flow is beautiful -- After sewing for the next 2 years here's what I still have left -- Shrink-Wrapped or rolled on bolts with Clips, stored in orig boxes laying on sides not Flat (best way to store bolts BTW)...

Sandstone - 7 full bolts 12 yards each bolt (plus bolts with less than full I'm didn't list so I wouldn't have to cut pieces for them)
    Silver - 10 full bolts 12 yards each
    Gold - 6 full bolts ...
    White 12 full bolts
    Black Weavers Cloth 44-45" 55Poly/45Cotton 10 bolts with 15 yards shrink wrapped on each bolt (I'm keeping the other 10 for quilt backing and bodices I make)

Some Asian or Chinese printed poly - 60" Black with gold 15 yards and Wine with Gold with 18 yards

Oh yeah, my I HAD to have 100% Pure Silk! 11 3/4th yards I've never learned how to sew with or cut into (back then $30/yard!)

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-30peryard.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-blkweaverscloth.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-casasatin_huntergreen.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-casasatin_spice.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-chineseprintbuyboltsale.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-over11yards.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-puresilk_60inch.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-puresilk_love.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-sandstonegoldwhite.jpg

NOT Quilt Fabric, but how to sell off my unloved stash??-silver-stored.jpg

I'm glad to get started on the tip of this iceberg!! I want a nice small stash of cottons only now -- well some I must keep but please don't let it be "generally" know that I want to go out of business in 2 years - it would freak my customers out :-)

Thanks for looking

Madeforyouinma11's Avatar Madeforyouinma11 is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HdWench View Post
    wow I didn't know there was a FB Group for FREE dang it.. Well I got busy last night and this morning and already posted the following on ebay (a fraction of what I've got) and there aren't any Cottons, that is what I need more of to quilt hehehe

The Black Buttersuede is NOT on ebay yet -- I've got 600 yards left - Yes this is a microfiber bought from Hancocks at $5/yard - initially I bought 1000 yards so it's taken me 4 years to sew up 400!!! I need to keep about 200 for the next couple years then I'm OUT of biz!! god willing -- I don't want more than I paid for any of this.

I'm dc_lost on eBay if you want to take a look - here is what I've posted so far and I'll add photos here. Have taken none of the Black Buttersuede but you can look at Hancocks online and see it I bet.

Some things I could reach -- then I have to unpack to get to the rest!

Casa Satin - 10 yards Hunter Green (it's probably 12 yards but I don't care) 60"

Casa Satin - 10 yards Spice (again more like 12-15 yard on bolt, but selling it as a 10 yard bolt) 60"

Cloud 9 silky Jacquard 44-45" All poly makes great blouses and skirts the flow is beautiful -- After sewing for the next 2 years here's what I still have left -- Shrink-Wrapped or rolled on bolts with Clips, stored in orig boxes laying on sides not Flat (best way to store bolts BTW)...

Sandstone - 7 full bolts 12 yards each bolt (plus bolts with less than full I'm didn't list so I wouldn't have to cut pieces for them)
    Silver - 10 full bolts 12 yards each
    Gold - 6 full bolts ...
    White 12 full bolts
    Black Weavers Cloth 44-45" 55Poly/45Cotton 10 bolts with 15 yards shrink wrapped on each bolt (I'm keeping the other 10 for quilt backing and bodices I make)

Some Asian or Chinese printed poly - 60" Black with gold 15 yards and Wine with Gold with 18 yards

Oh yeah, my I HAD to have 100% Pure Silk! 11 3/4th yards I've never learned how to sew with or cut into (back then $30/yard!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30PerYard.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	38283

Name:	BlkWeaversCloth.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	38284

Name:	CasaSatin_HunterGreen.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	38285

Name:	CasaSatin_Spice.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	38286

Name:	ChinesePrintBuyBoltSale.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	38287

Name:	Over11Yards.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	38288

Name:	PureSilk_60Inch.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	38289

Name:	PureSilk_LOVE.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	38290

Name:	SandStoneGoldWhite.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	38291

Name:	Silver Stored.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	38292

I'm glad to get started on the tip of this iceberg!! I want a nice small stash of cottons only now -- well some I must keep but please don't let it be "generally" know that I want to go out of business in 2 years - it would freak my customers out :-)

Thanks for looking

What do you do that you want to go out of business?

Jess1377's Avatar Jess1377 is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you know this but just in case, ebay has started to take fees off of the shipping charges. Like you need $5 to pay for postage so thats what you charge the customer for instance, but then ebay takes, say $0.45, in addition to the amount of the fee that paypal takes for the total transaction that could be $0.15, so you are out $0.60 (actually in my experience it was usually more than that minimal amount so I usually ended up getting so much less than what the item was worth on ebay) If it turns out like that for you, maybe try etsy? I just dont think it makes sense to take fees off of the postage you charge your customer for them to ship the item. I work at a thrift shop in the consignment section (well, volunteer) and a lot of the customers are coming in more often saying they have given up on ebay because of the fees they take off of shipping charges you need to ship the darn item to the customer and that was the tipping point it took for them to stop using ebay.
    Finished is way better than perfect!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast