Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    EnumclawGramma's Avatar EnumclawGramma is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: You make a quilt or two and this is what happens....

You all are SO wonderful!! Thank you so much for all the valuable (AND valued) input. I think I can do the tshirts without much trouble, but those jerseys....I don't know. I will give him a disclaimer. I promise to post pics, you KNOW I'll be back for advice!

K. McEuen's Avatar K. McEuen is online now Moderator
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If they are the type of fabric that might melt (I'm thinking some type of nylon or polyester) you might be able to stabilize them with a light iron on interfacing by laying a towel or several layers of muslin over them. Ask him for a least favorite one or something made out of the same cloth to run a trial with.
    K is for Karen

Remember, Happiness is a way of Travel, not a Destination.

Looking for easier access to MSQC Tutorials? Check my User Notes.

lawork1211's Avatar lawork1211 is offline Senior Member
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

We had a guest speaker at our quilt guild last year that had an answer to everyone wanting a quilt when they find out what you do, that is if you do not want to do quilts for everyone. When someone says "Will you to make me a quilt?" Tell them "Poof, your a quilt!" like it's a magic trick. But, if you want to do them, go for it!

Quilterella's Avatar Quilterella is offline Junior Member
    Fabric Fanatic

Small town south of the Nation's Capital, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
    You all are SO wonderful!! Thank you so much for all the valuable (AND valued) input. I think I can do the tshirts without much trouble, but those jerseys....I don't know. I will give him a disclaimer. I promise to post pics, you KNOW I'll be back for advice!
    Tshirt quilts are pretty easy and use good tricot stabilizer. The one I made from my sister-in-law tshirts was my first one ever. I didn't want to do basic squares, so I decided to do a snowball/nine patch variation. The only problem I had was I did not put the tshirt on the stabilizer properly (didn't realize the grain of fabric theory), but I was pretty pleased with the outcome and she was thrilled. Attached is the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You make a quilt or two and this is what happens....-tinas-marathon-quilt-001.jpg  
    If your dreams don't scare you...then they are not BIG enough. DARE TO DREAM!
    Quilting is my Passion, NOT my past time.

Susan M's Avatar Susan M is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

There are tons of different designs for making T-shirt quilts. I'd let your nephew know that you are nervous about touching the pricey jersey's, at least for now. Work on another t-shirt quilt and then maybe tackle the jersey's. It is not hard you just need to use a good stablizer and cut carefully. I love the yellow quilt with sashing. Good luck.
    Susan

CrazyMtnLady's Avatar CrazyMtnLady is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on making the quilts and be sure to post pictures.

I haven't made a t-shirt quilt yet. But DH has TONS of motorcycle shirts that I would like to make into a quilt for him. The only problem is that almost all of them are black and with two dogs I know the quilt would be constantly covered in dog hair. But he really would like a quilt, so it will be up to him to vacuum off the hair or use a lint roller every day! LOL.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of ideas here...makes mine look juvenile..but then again..they are for little girls...I used my GD's t-shirts that I started saving 4 years ago of designs that meant something to them (in the short little lives) and made them each a quilt. My avatar is one but the purple one is in my album. Good luck and don't forget to post when you are done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12